The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Mr. Hugh Horsley Beetham, J.P., one of the partners in the Brancepeth Station, was born in Horncastle, Lincolnshire, England, and came to New Zealand with his parents in the ship “William and Jane” in 1855. For a number of years he served in the Militia as captain. In agricultural and pastoral matters Mr. Beetham has long been prominent, and he has held office as president of the Wairarapa and East Coast Pastoral and Agricultural Association. In 1879 Mr. Beetham was married to the fourth daughter of the late Mr. C. R. Bidwill, of Pihautea, Wairarapa, and has two sons and two daughters. He lives in a beautifully-situated homestead on the banks of the Wainuioru river, the house being surrounded by a well-grown plantation of useful and ornamental trees. Of Mr. Beetham's partners, Mr. T. C. Williams is referred to on page 773, and Mr. W. H. Beetham, as a member of the Wairarapa North County Council, on page 943.
Garratt, George, Settler, Taueru. A native of Newbury, Berkshire, England, where he was born in 1850, Mr. Garratt was brought up to farming pursuits, and came to Wellington in 1872 per ship “Jessie Redman.” Settling in Taueru, he had charge of a road north of the township, and afterwards managed Mr. O'Malley's farm at Te Ore Ore. Subsequently he was engaged in various occupations till 1880, when he became a contractor for fencing on the Brancepeth Estate, being appointed overseer in 1891. Since his promotion Mr. Garratt has had the supervision of large bodies of men, in some instances as many as 170 being employed on the station. Always ready to advance the district, he has acted as a member of the local school commmittee. His farm of 150 acres is pleasantly situated in the district. In 1869 Mr. Garratt was married to Miss Highed, of Buckinghamshire, England, and has four sons and three daughters.page 1513
Mr. G. Garratt.