The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
[Old Colonists] — Old Colonists.
Downes, Samuel Stacey, Settler, 129 Upper Willis Street. A native of Suffolk, England, where he was born in 1835, Mr. Downes was educated in Hertfordshire. After a short time in a lawyer's office, he learned farming, and came to Wellington in 1852 per ship “Slains Castle.” About 1863 Mr. Downes took the old Crown and Anchor Hotel on Lambton Quay, where he remained for three years. Afterwards, in conjunction with the late Mr. G. Martin, he built the Pier Hotel, which he helped to conduct for about twenty years, retiring in 1886. Mr. Downes, who is a member of the Masonic fraternity, has a daughter and three sons, the eldest of whom is a partner in the firm of Bulkley, Downes and Eames, dentists, Wellington.
Mr. S. S. Downes.