Sheepfarmer, Glengreg, in the Makakahi district, Pahiatua. Mr. Gregg, who has had experience in many lands, is the youngest son of Mr. Robert Gregg, of Ballynascadden, County Donegal, Ireland, where he was born in 1854. In 1871, at the age of seventeen, he went to the United States, where he was employed by his uncle, Mr. Daniel Gregg, owner of one of the richest oil producing farms in Oil Creek, Pa. He joined the United States army in 1872, and served for a term of five years under the American flag, being in several engagements with the Indians in Wyoming, Montana, and Dakota territories, notably in 1876 under General Crook in the war with the Sioux tribes under their famous war chief Sitting Bull. It was in this campaign, on the night of the 15th of June, that General Custer, with his 7th United States Cavalry, made the celebrated attack on Sitting Bull's village, from which neither he nor any of his men ever returned. Crook's army, on their return, suffered great privations, marching a distance of nearly 400 miles in a period of nine days through unknown country, subsisting for several days entirely on the flesh of the half-starved cavalry horses. It was then that they captured a village of thirty-five lodges under the chiefs American Horse and Roman Nose, the latter being killed and the former taken prisoner. Mr. Gregg returned to Ireland in 1877, remaining at his father's
home for one year, with the exception of a few months, when he took a second trip to the United States. He left for this Colony in the ship “Lady Jocelyn,” sailing from Belfast with Mr. G. Vesey Stewart's Kati Kati settlers on the 20th day of May, 1878, and arriving in Auckland on the 17th of August of that year. He immediately transhipped for Lyttelton, where he remained nearly seven years in the employ of Messrs. H. Hawkins and Co. In 1885 he removed to the North Island, and settled at Pahiatua in the Forty-mile Bush, which in those days well deserved its name. Mr. Gregg's holding consists of 540 acres, originally all heavy bush, but now felled and grassed, with the exception of a few patches left for shelter. His venture has been successful, and the reward of his labour is now at hand. His sheep are crossbreds of the long-woolled varieties. Mr. Gregg has taken his share of public duties, having served on the local Road Board for two years, taking an active part in the formation of the County and the merging of the Road Board into
the same, and for a similar period holding the chairmanship of the Makakahi School Committee. He is a master Mason. On the 1th of May, 1878, shortly before leaving the Old Land, Mr. Gregg was married to Miss Caroline Fletcher, eldest daughter of Mr. John Fletcher, of Manor Cunningham, County Donegal, Ireland, and their family consists of three sons and two daughters, the eldest daughter, Annie, now being pupil-teacher at the Makakahi School. The accompanying group and view are from pictures taken in September, 1896.