Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]

Professional, Commercial, And Industrial

Professional, Commercial, And Industrial.

Boddington, J. C., Commission Agent, Queen Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This business was established in 1896. Further particulars of Mr. Boddington's career will be found under Masterton Building Society, of which he is chairman.

Chennells, William Boyce, Land, Estate, and General Commission Agent, Perry Street. Mr. Chennells is a native of Hertfordshire. He was brought up to mercantile life in Luton, Bedfordshire, and came out to New Zealand in 1883. On arrival he settled in Masterton, and for twelve months was with the Wairarapa, Daily Times. In 1884 he established the present business, which has steadily extended as the years have passed away. For several years Mr. Chennells acted as hon. secretary to the Masterton Horticultural and Industrial Society, but was compelled to resign the position, by reason of the pressure of his business engagements. Mr. Chennells is Deputy Official Assignee for the Wairarapa, and is also agent for the Public Trusts. He acts for the New Zealand Accident Insurance Company, the London and Lancashire Fire Insurance Company, and the Colonial Mutual Life Assurance Company. Mr. Chennells is agent for the Mercantile and Bank-ruptcy Gazette of New Zealand, and is secretary to the Masterton Blacksmith and Wheelwright Ma infacturing Company, Limited. Mr. Chennells undertakes the managenment of estates for absentees and others, and may be safely trusted in all matters relating to the purchase and sale of properties.

Dalrymple, George Samuel Wemyss, Land and Insurance Agent, Perry Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residence, “The Laurels,” Chapel Street. Mr. Dalrymple is descended from a very page 961 ancient Scottish family, and is a second cousin of the present Earl of Stair. He was born in L'Orient, France, in 1828, and received the greater part of his education in that country, and in Belgium, his parents afterwards removing to Scotland. At the age of seventeen Mr. Dalrymple was licensed as a shipbroker in Glasgow by the customs authorities, he being said to have been the youngest official ever appointed to such a position. When only twenty-two he became surveyor of stamps and taxes for the counties of Sutheiland and Caithness, and subsequently for Perch. In 1862 Mr. Dalrymple retired from the service, having inherited a competence. Realising this, he came to New Zealand in the ship “City of Dunedin,” landing at Invercargill in 1863. Gaining mercantile experience there, and on the West Coast of the South Island, where he had a taste of nearly every sort of colonial life until the year 1876, he came to Masterton. He was never afraid “to take his coat off,” and this characteristic has assisted him in his life in the Colony. As a Mason Mr. Dalrymple is a Past Grand Steward of the Grand Lodge of New Zealand. It may be mentioned that Mr. Dalrymple presented the magnificent Grand Jewel worn by the Grand Master of the New Zealand Constitution when in full regalia, and also one in miniature set with rubies to be worn by the Grand Master at balls, &c., for which presents he received a letter of thanks from the Grand Lodge. He is also Past Grand Master of the Manchester Unity Independent Order of Oddfellows, and Past Arch Druid. In volunteer circles he took part in the famous Parihaka expedition, acting in the capacity of colour-sergeant to his company. In addition to his services as a volunteer, Mr. Dalrymple can look back upoa a useful career as fire brigade captain, having in 1865 occupied that position in the first fire brigade formed in Invercargill. In 1870 he was lientenant of the Hokitika fire brigade, and six years later in Masterton he acted as captain of the fire brigade, Mr. Dalryn, ple's genial, hearty manner and native good humour render him popular in the district in which George Samuel Wemyss Dalrymple he has spent so considerable a part of his colonial life. He has in his possession a most interesting collection of old family papers and relics.

Ewart, James, Wairarapa representative of the New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency Company, Limited, Masterton. Mr. Ewart, who is a cousin of Dr. Ewart, of the Wellington Hospital, was born in 1858, in Dumfriesshire, Scotland. Arriving in Port Chalmers in 1878, he was farming in Southland till 1886, when he entered the service of the Loan and Mercantile Company as station-manager in Hawkes Bay. From 1889 to 1892 he engaged in the stock agency business, becoming stock buyer for the Gear Company for two years ending 1894, when he was appointed representative for his Company in the district. Mr. Ewart was married in 1892 to a daughter of Mr. A. H. Ross, of Dunedin, late M.H.R. for Roslyn, and has a son and a daughter.

Hornblow and Co. (Robert Edward Hornblow), Auctioneers, Land, Loan, and General Commission Agents, Queen Street, Masterton. P.O. Box 92. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Branches, Eketahuna, Carterton, and Tinui. Private residence, Worksop Road. Mr. Hornblow established the above business in 1894, but he was no stranger in the Wellington district. Born in the Empire City in 1861, at the early age of ten years he went into the printing office of the late Mr. J. Wakelin, of Greytown, and at the age of seventeen, when boys now-a-days are in the first year of their term, Mr. Hornblow had completed his apprenticeship and was recognized in the trade as a fully-fledged printer. After a long and varied experience in connection with such well-known newspapers as the Wairarapa Standard, of Greytown, the Wairarapa Daily Times, of Masterton, and the New Zealand Times, of Wellington, Mr. Hornblow deciled to enter business on his own account in Masterton as a general printer. It was while thus established that Mr. Hornblow occupied the position of borough councillor for the usual term of three years. In 1894 he contested for the mayoralty of the town, but was unsuccessful. In 1884 Mr. Hornblow made a most decided change in his business career. Wisely severing his connection with printer's ink, he embarked in what was to him at that time quite a new occupation. Success, however, of no mean order has resulted from this change, for not only has his ordinary business prospered well, but he has been enabled to take advantage of rare opportunities for speculation. In this way Mr. Hornblow has become a very considerable landowner, and that in a part of the country where lands are rapidly increasing in value. The premises in which Mr. Hornblow conducts his business are large and conveniently arranged. He claims to have put up the largest auction mart in the Wairarapa, in which he has done very well, his popular weekly sales drawing large crowds every Saturday. The building has a frontage to Queen Street of 33 feet by a depth of 60 feet. Mr. J. Montgomery was the builder, and the late Mr. G. K. Bond prepared the plans and specifications and superintended the erection. Sales of landed and other properties are frequently held, and of drapery furniture, works of art, etc., at regular intervals. As a land and commission agent Mr. Hornblow's intimate knowledge of the districts stands him in good stead. There are very few visitors in search of properties who do not make his office the first place of call. The agencies held include the United Insurance Company, the Southland Chemical Works, and some of the financial firms of Wellington and other cities of the Colony. The branches of the business at Eketahuna, Carterton, and Tinui are under capable management, and contribute to the success of the establishment. On all counts Mr. Hornblow is to be congratulated on the success of his venture.

page 962

Iorns, William, Licensed Native Interpreter, Perry Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residence, Te Ore Ore. The subject of this notice, who is a son of the late Mr. Richard Iorns, one of the early settlers, was born In Wellington in 1849, and has been a resident in the Wairarapa since he was five years old. Mr. Iorns was educated in Masterton, and having associated with the Maoris since his early days he acquired their language, becoming a licensed native interpreter in 1884. Since this time Mr. Iorns acted for both Europeans and natives, and has been successful in dealing with a large quantity of land. He is well known in the Wairarapa district, and will undertake commissions in native matters in any part of the Colony. Mr. Iorns has acted as clerk of the course for the Masterton-Opaki Jockey Club since its inception.

Keith, James Bertram, Land, Estate, Commission, Financial and Investment Agent, Accountant, Shipping and Insurance Agent, Queen Street. Cable address, “Keith, Masterton,” code ABC. P.O. Box 63. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Keith is a native of Scotland. He was brought up to mercantile life in Liverpool, and came to New Zealand per ship “Oamaru,” in 1875. For a short time he resided in Dunedin, and subsequently occupied a responsible position in Cargill, Gibbs, and Co.'s house in Invercargill. He then entered the service of the N.Z. Loan and Mercantile Agerncy company, with whom he continued for twelve years, during the last ten of which he made all the valuations required by the company in Masterton. The business was established in 1892. Mr. Keith is agent for the Victoria Fire and Marine Insurance Company, and secretary to the Masterton Permanent Investment and Building Society. He makes a specialty of arranging loans on mortgage of freehold and leasehold properties, and acts for both borrowers and lenders. He also makes advances on approved chattel securities. He has had a very large experience in book-keeping, and his services are therefore in demand as an accountant. He also undertakes the auditing of the accounts of public companies and private concerns. Mr. Keith is a member of the Hospital Board.

Lowes and Iorns (William Lowes), Auctioneers, Stock and Station Agents, Public Valuators, Insurance and Financial Agents, Queen Street, Masterton. P.O. Box 58. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Branch at Eketahuna. Private residence, Stoneyeroft, Manaia. This large business was founded In 1879 by Mr. Iorns, who worked up a considerable trade, and was joined by Mr. Lowes in 1882. The business was conducted in co-partnership till 1890, it having assumed large proportions. In the latter year Mr. Iorns retired, leaving Mr. Lowes sole proprietor. The firm are the oldest in the line in the district. Their specialty is land and stock auctioneering. They hold fortnightly sales of cattle and sheep, and monthly sales of horses at their Masterton yards. At Eketahuna a monthly sale of stock is held, and special clearing sales as when required. Mr. Lowes, by long experience, has become a splendid judge of stock, and this knowledge may be turned to good account for customers of the firm in any part of the colonies. Messrs. Lowes and Iorns buy and sell largely in stock by private treaty, as well as at the hammer, and will undertake to purchase on commission any class that is required. The firm are agents for the National Fire and Marine Insurance Company, the Australian Mutual Provident Society. Messrs. Reid and Gray, and for quite a number of sheep dip manufacturers They are also large importers of farm requisites, and especially seeds. Their operations extend throughout the entire Colony. The auction mart and offices of the firm are centrally situated in Queen Street, the building being of wood and iron and two stories in height, containing upwards of 26000 square reet of floorage space. Mr. Lowes is a native of Northumberland, and reached the Colony in 1865, per ship “Ramsay.” He was brought up to farming, but on arrival entered into business in Wellington as an importer of saddlery and saddler's ironmongery, continuing the same till 1873. Mr. Lowes has purchased and profitably disposed of several large properties in the Wairarapa district. Politically, Mr. Lowes has occupied a seat in the Wellington Provincial Council, and also on the Education Board. He is now chairman of the Masterton Town Lands Trust, and holds a seat as a director of the local building society.

Mowlem, John, and Co. (John Mowlem and John Gordon Eliott), Stock and General Auctioneers, Station, Land, Estate, and Commission Agents. Auction rooms and offices, Queen Street, Masterton. Private residences: Mr. Mowlem, Manaia; Mr. Eliott, Church Street. Mr. Mowlem, who is a son of Captain John Mowlem, of Palmerston North, is a native of New Zealand. He was brought up to farming, and has had considerable experience in the management of stations and the breeding of cattle and sheep. He is recognised as a capital judge of stock of all kinds. The present business was founded in 1894 by Messrs. Simms and Mowlem. In May, 1896, Mr. Simms retired, and the present firm was constituted. Mr Eliott, who is a son of Mr. H. J. H. Eliott, Under-Secretary for Mines, was born in the Empire City, where he was educated at Wellington College. After eight years experience in the Colonial Bank, and afterwards in the Bank of New Zealand, Mr. Eliott retired and joined Mr. Mowlem in the present business. Mr. Mowlem acts as auctioneer and visits the farming districts, where he comes into personal contact with the farmers and breeders. The building occupied by them, which appears in the illustration, was specially built for the auctioneering business. It is of wood and iron, and contains nearly 2000 square feet of floorage space. Messrs. John Mowlem and Co. have secured a splendid site for their cattle and sheep sale-yards—situated between the two branches of the Waipoua River, in Queen Street, and very
Messrs. J. Mowlem and Co.'s Premises, Queen Street.

Messrs. J. Mowlem and Co.'s Premises, Queen Street.

page 963
Mr. John Mowlem.

Mr. John Mowlem.

near to the large granary of the Farmers' Co-operative Association. These substantial yards will be most convenient for buyers and sellers alike. The present accommodation is available for ten thousand sheep and from two to three hundred head of cattle. Regular sales will be held at the new Masterton yards fortnightly on each alternate Wednesday. The firm intend also to establish periodical sales through out the entire district. They are in a position to afford the usual facilities in all matters connected with the business, and no efforts will be spared to satisfy the settlers. Farmers at a distance may entrust the firm to purchase any of the special breeds, for which the Wairarapa has long been famous, with the utmost confidence, as Mr. Mowlem's ability as a judge of sheep and cattle will be placed at the disposal of clients. Any stock so purchased will be safely shipped to any port of New Zealand or the colonies as may be desired. The auction-rooms in Queen Street will be used for periodical sales of furniture, sundries, fruit, etc. Sales of real estate will likewise be held as may be required. The auctioneers will at any time undertake clearing-out sales in any part of the district. Messrs. Mowlem and Co. are local agents for the China Traders' Marine Insurance Company, the Royal Insurance Company the Massey-Harris Company's implements, Graham's Permanent Foot-Rot Cure, Roby and Company's machinery, Brenchley's Lime and Insecticide Compound, Rouse and Hurrell's buggies and carraiges, and the cele-brated Humber cycles, and many other lines.

Simms, William, Land, Estate, and Financial Agent Star Block, corner of Queen and Hall Streets, Masterton. Bankers. Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Worksop Road. This business was established in 1896. All kinds of agency work is undertaken, and special attention given to the financial department. Further particulars regarding Mr. Simms will be found as a Councillor of the borough of Masterton.

Waddington, Edward Horatio, Land, Estate, Financial, Insurance and General Commission Agent, Queen Street, Masterton. Telegraphic address: “Waddington, Masterton.” P.O. Box 64. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residence, Broadway, Upper Plain. Mr. E. H. Waddington established his general agency business some twelve or thirteen years ago, and is well known and well patronized throughout the district. Beginning in a rather small way, he has worked up an extensive connection, and holds a number of most important agencies. Among these may be mentioned the North British and Mercantile Insurance Company, the North German Insurance Company, and the National Mutual Life Association of Australasia. For the purposes of his general business, Mr. Waddington has agents and correspondents in all parts of the Colony. In local public matters Mr. Waddington takes an active interest. Among the secretaryships which either are or have recently been in his hands are those of the Masterton and Opaki Jockey Club, the North Wairarapa Gun Club, the Ancient Order of Foresters, the United Ancient Order of Druids, the Charitable Aid Board, and the North Wairarapa Benevolent Trustees, Numerous other evidences of Mr. Waddington's popularity with the settlers and townspeople might be given. The subject of this article was born at Wakefield, the capital of the West Riding of Yorkshire. Educated in his native land, Mr. Waddington was induced to emigrate to this Colony in 1873, during which year he left London per ship “Hydaspes,” under command of Captain Babot, now so well known in the Empire City. Prior to establishing himself as above, Mr Waddington had considerable banking experience, being for some seven years in the employ of the Bank of New Zealand. At the time of writing (August, 1896), Mr. Waddington was enjoying a trip to the Old Country.

Cullen, William Edward, Sewing Machine Dealer, Queen Street, Masterto Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Established 1882.

Duncan, Thos., and Co., Land, Estate, Financial, and General Commission Agents, Temple Chambers, Queen Street, Masterton.

page 964

Penty and Forde, Architects and Civil Engineers, Perry Street, Masterton. P.O. Box 14. This is a branch of the Wellington firm, referred to on page 582 of the Cyclopedia, and was established in 1893. Messrs. Penty and Forde have been more than usually successful, and have erected some of the best buildings in and around Masterton. The residence in Masterton of Messrs. J. F. and R. Maunsell, of Tinui, was erected from their plans, and at the time of writing (1896) they are engaged in the erection of the Masterton Town Hall. Mr. Forde represents the firm in Masterton, while Mr. Penty attends to the business in Wellington.

Rawson, Alfred Pearson, Surveyor, Hall Strect, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand.

Frasi, Percy Caspar Surveyor, Queen Street, Masterton.

McLachlan, Duncan, Surveyor and Civil Engineer, Queen Street, Masterton.

Price, Thomas Edward, Photographer, Masterton Studio, Queen Street, Masterton. P.O. Box 89. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Branches at Greytown and Carterton. Private residence, Hall Street. Mr. Price, who established the business he now conducts in 1879. has a considerable connection throughout the Wairarapa. He is a Justice of the Peace, and has taken part in local politics as a member of the Borough Council of Masterton.

Wilton, Denman, Photographer, Queen Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residence, Masterton. This business was established in March, 1895. Mr. Wilton is an all-round photographer, able to take landscapes as well as portraits and groups, and as a retoucher he has gained an excellent reputation. Since commencing he has steadily gained the confidence and support of the public. His premises, Queen Street, comprise vestibule (where many fine specimens of his art are displayed), Denman Wilton waiting and work-room, with large and well lighted studio, fitted up with the latest instruments and accessories. Born in Masterton, he is a son of Mr. C. Wilton, an old settler in the district, and there can be little doubt that he will meet with success in his native town.

Hood, J., and Co., Manufacturing Confectioners and Tea Dealers, Queeu Street. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales., This business was established in August 1892, and must have made rapid progress. It is a fine large shop with two good windows, the frontage to the main street being thirty-two feet. The total floor space is upwards of 2000 square feet. It is a two-story building, and its appearance is decidedly inviting. The site is one of the best in the town, being next shop to the Post-office. Pleasantly screened from the public gaze is a neat little temperance bar, where liquors of a refreshing but not intoxicating character are kept in great variety. Everything here as elsewhere throughout the shop is scrupulously clean. Mr. Hood attends to the business personally. He is obliging and quick—a most important point in any business, but especially in one of this nature. Mr. Hood was born in Oamaru, and served apprenticeship to the jewellery trade in Dunedin with the well- known firm of G. and T. Young. This apprenticeship was completed in 1885, and soon after that he established himself as a jeweller in Oamaru. The fact that Mr. Hood was not brought up to his present business makes his success therein all the more creditable. It is a house in every way deserving of encouragement. Messrs. Hood and Co. hold the agency for the Dresden Piano Company, and have a special establishment, also in the main street, for the purposes of this business.

Hunter, Peter, Baker, Chapel Street, Masterton.

Winchester, Colin, Baker and Confectioner, Dining and Refreshment Room Proprietor, The Blue House, Queen Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Established by present proprictor in 1888.

Wickens. J., Baker and Confectioner, Queen Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Conducted by present proprietor since 1889.

Daniell, Charles Edward, Gerneral Building Contractor, Iron and Timber merchant, Queen and Chapel Streets, Masterton. Telegraphic address, “Daniell, Masterton.” Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence. Chapel Street. Mr. Daniell was born at Malvern, Worcestershire, England, and after his school days had the advantage of a thorough training in the practical working details of an extensive building business carried on by his family in Monmouthshire, where he married, and was in business on his own account for some three years before deter- mining to emigrate to New Zealand. He, in company with his wife and two children, arrived, per “Scottish Prince,” in Wellington in January, 1880, and immediately settled in Masterton, The district was then suffering severely from the collapse which followed the land boom, consequent on the Vogel public works policy. The building business was at a standstill, but with characteristic self-reliance he took the first work to hand, and after a few years of persistent effort, secured a footing in the district, and is now looked upon as one of the leading business men of the Wairarapa. Some eight years ago Mr. Daniell bought the first portion of his present extensive business premises in Queen and Chapel Streets, adding each year, till now the ground covered is more than one-and-a-half acres in extent, largely covered with substantial buildings, the balance to every available corner being stacked with timber and other building materials. The sheds for storing dry timber and mouldings are of page 965
Mr. C. E. Daniell's New Premises, Queen Street.

Mr. C. E. Daniell's New Premises, Queen Street.

the most complete kind, while the appliances for handling goods are superior to those found in many large city establishments. The latest addition made is a large two-story brick building, now nearing completion—a front view of which is shown in the accompanying illustration. The building has a frontage of 40 feet, with a depth of 100 feet, and is fitted throughout with all possible appliances for facilitating the business. It is lighted mainly from a lantern light running the whole length of the building, the few windows at the side being covered at night with iron shutters. Mr. Daniell designed the building himself, and the labour was done by his regular staff of workmen. It is a handsome edifice, and a distinct ornament to the principal street of the town. Mr. Daniell is a large employer of labour; his regular building and ironmongery staff varying from thirty-five to fifty hands. He is also managing partner of the Masterton Sawmill Co., which employs some forty hands, the mills being situate at Weraiti, seven miles from town: also managing director and chairman of the Masterton Blacksmith and Wheel-wright Manufacturing Company, Limited—a progressive concern employing some twenty hands. Mr. Daniell is also chairman of the Masterton Trust Lands Trustees, an exceedingly important body, charged with large educational and other responsibilities. The Trust has just decided to build a new town hall, and has lately—thanks to the untiring efforts of its chairman—established evening classes for technical instruction. The classes now have 120 pupils, principally young men employed in various trades. The income of this Trust is now some £800 per year—derived from town land rents. Mr. Daniell is also a member of various local trusts—the School Committee and the Licensing Bench—and captain of the Volunteer Fire Brigade. He has great faith in the town and district to which he belongs, and enjoys the confidence of a large body of property, owners, for whom he often acts both as architect and builder; while his men recently showed their appreciation of him by presenting him with a kindly worded and beautifully illuminated address, testifying to his just dealing and kindly bearing to all.
Montgomery, John, Contractor and Farmer, Lower Manaia, Masterton. As one of the leading contractors and builders in the Wairarapa, Mr. Montgomery erected the Kurupuni Hall, Te Whitu, Dreyerton and Eketahuna Public Schools, master's residence at Eketahuna, the Mauriceville School, and additions to the schoolhouse, Messrs. Dixon's well-known cordial factory, the town hall at Gladstone, also the Gladstone Hotel, and a large number of shops and private dwelling-houses in Masterton. Born in Ireland, he came when very young to Australia with his parents. He was educated at Warrnambool and afterwards served his time with Messrs. Crowle and Winton. In 1875 he came to New Zealand and was engaged for a considerable period on the construction of the “largest wooden building in the world,” the Government Departmental Buildings in Wellington. Resolving to establish himself in Masterton on his own account, Mr. Montgomery has had no cause to regret having made his home in the Wairarapa. In local politics he served for several years as chairman of the Licensing Bench. He was a member of the committee of the Catholic school. For sixteen years he has been attached to the Hibernian Lodge. He is a page 966 well-known and active member of the Foresters' Lodge, to which organization he has belonged for fourteen years. Upon several occasions Mr. Montgomery has been requested to allow himself to be nominated for the Council and Trust Lands Trust, but on account of his business he has had to refuse. Mr. Montgomery was married to a daughter of Mr. McKillop, of Bella Castle, Ireland, and has three sons and three daughters.

Ralph, James, Carpenter, Miriam Street, Masterton. As a well-known and respected resident, Mr. Ralph has been prominently identified with church work in the district. Born in Merizion, Cornwall, in 1826, he left his native place at eight years of age, and worked in Messrs. Nettle Bros.' chairmaking establishment at Cambourne for some time. His next experience was as a sawyer with a younger brother for about ten years. In the Nicaragua goldmines in Central America he worked for three-and-a-half years under an engagement to a London company. Returning to England, he left in 1870 with his brother Stephen for Victoria, where he was employed at quartzmining for a number of years. After six months at railway construction in Tasmania, he returned to Victoria, coming to New Zealand in 1878. Mr. Ralph engaged in sawing at Tauhautanui for six months, when he commenced business as a carpenter at Masterton, where he still resides. He was married in 1852, and has seven surviving children and thirty grand-children. Mr. Ralph—a strict teetotaller of forty-five years standing—has been a member of the Wesleyan Church for forty-three years, a great part of which time he has been a class-leader and Sunday school teacher. He was a member of church choirs in England and Australia for over twenty years.

Hoar, Zephaniah Mark, Builder and Undertaker, Chapel Street, Masterton.

Ewington, J. C., Coachbuilder, Blacksmith, and Manufacturer of Woolpresses, Stumping Machines, etc., Queen Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residence, King Street. Marlborough Agents, for the sale of woolpresses and stumping machines, Messrs. Fell Bros., Blenheim. This business was established in 1884 by Mr. James Ewington, father of the present proprietor, under the style of Ewington and Son. It was then a small concern as compared with its present dimensions. In fact it is a much more important establishment than outside appearances would lead one to suppose. The premises are of wood and iron, and, with the yards, occupy half an acre of ground in the main street. The site is near that of Messrs. Pinhey Bros., livery stable keepers, and almost opposite the Occidental Hotel. In 1891 Mr. Ewington senior, the founder of the business, retired on account of ill health, leaving his son, Mr. J. C. Ewington, the sole proprietor. Mr. Ewington and his family arrived in New Zealand in 1874, per ship “Wellington,” from London. Mr. Ewington has all the necessary machinery for successfully carying on his business, the operations of which extend throughout the whole of the Wairarapa. He employs from seven to ten hands, and sometimes more in the very busy season. Vehicles of every description are manufactured on the premises. Lamps, fittings, trimmings, and such other things as cannot yet be made in the Colony, are imported direct from the Old Country. Two special lines for which Mr. Ewington's factory is noteworthy are woolpresses and stumping machines. They are both patented, and though Mr. Ewington has to pay a royalty, it is satisfactory to know that the money does not leave the district. The patentee is Mr. Wrigley, of Masterton, and Mr. Ewington is the sole manufacturer. The woolpresses are turned out by the score, and are in demand far beyond the Wairarapa district; and the same may be said of the stumping machines. That the Wairarapa can take the lead in two such important appliances as woolpresses and stumping machines, is a matter for congratulation; and it is to be hoped that the people of the district will patronize these articles to the fulle[unclear: st] extent in their power. The Wairarapa Farmers' Co-operative Association act as agents for the sale of the woolpresses and stumping machines in all places where they have branches or travellers. The stumping machine has been greatly improved lately by the substitution of screw for lever power. The advantages are increased efficacy and decreased danger in the use. In every way Mr Ewington deserves encouragement. He is enterprising and energetic, steady and reliable. He learned his business in Masterton with his father, and evidently understands it in all its branches.

Masterton Blacksmith and Wheelwright Manufacturing Company, Limited (W. B. Chennells, secretary), Perry Street, Masteron. P.O. Box 54. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. This Company, which was established in 1890, undertakes the making and repairing of vehicles of every description. The premises occupied include a large iron building, having a floor space of considerably over 10,000 square feet. A large number of skilled hands are employed in the various departments of the business. The Company buys largely in Wellington, importing only special lines from the best markets. On the 1st of August, 1896, the business of Mr. J. Muir was purchased by the Company, which now undertakes the manufacture of Zealandia and Cockatoo woolpresses.

Mr. James Muir, Working Manager of the Masterton Blacksmith and Wheelwright Company, is a native of Wellington, where he was apprenticed to Mr. J. Fitchett, completing his term in 1868, after which he worked with Mr. Black, now Rouse and Hurrell, page 967 and subsequently at Blenheim. The business so long conducted by him in Masterton was founded by Mr. Gray in 1865, as a blacksmith's shop. Mr. Muir established the first coach factory in Masterton in 1870, and subsequently, in co-partnership with Mr. Ross, added the business of engineers. Mr. Muir sold the business to the company of which he is now working manager, as from the 1st of August, 1896. He is the inventor and patentee of the “Zealandia” and “Cockatoo” wool presses, which are made under contract by the Masterton Blacksmith and Wheelwright Company. The “Zealandia” (a picture of which appears herein) has a splendid record. It was patented in 1890
“Zealandia” Wool Press, patented by Mr. J. Muir.

“Zealandia” Wool Press, patented by Mr. J. Muir.

and since that time between three and four hundred have been sold. It is worked with levers and ratchet bar; the levers are very powerful, being capable of exerting a pressure of six tons. The Zealandia is also very speedy, for in fifteen minutes two capable men can easily turn out a bale fully pressed. The employment of an extra man results in a saving of one-third of the time. This press is a very cheap one, the price being only £18. It occupies but little floor space, and requires no expensive scaffolding. Mr. Muir has received many testimonials as to the efficiency of this popular press, among others being Mr. Fredk, W. Hales, of Flat Point; Messrs. M. Caselberg and Co., of Masterton; Mr. John Cameron, of Opaki; Mr. Edwin Meredith, of Riversdale; Mr. William Booth, of Carterton; Mr. Charles J. Tully, of Table Lands; Messrs. Bidwell Bros., of Pahiatua; Mr. H. D. Crawford, of Mirimar; and Messrs. Nelson Bros., Limited, of Tomoana, H.B. The Zealandia is fit for work in the largest sheds; the Cockatoo is designed to meet the requirements of farmers and small holders. It is cheap (costing only £12), strong, reliable, and easily worked, and serves the purpose for which it is intended, Mr. W. H. de Lisle, of Masterton, states that his storeman has pressed over 300 bales within two months in a most satisfactory manner, Mr. Muir has, notwithstanding the claims of his business, found time for public duties. For six years he served in the Borough Council, acted as captain of the Fire Brigade for seven or eight years, was a member of the Town Lands Trust, and sat on the School Committee.

Wagg, Thomas, and Co. (Thomas Wagg), Coach Builders, Masterton Carriage Factory, Queen Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residence, Worksop Road. This factory was established about 1874, and has been conducted by the present firm since 1891. The proprietor is referred to on another page of this volume as a member of the Masterton Borough Council.

Bannister, Thos., Wheelwright, Bentley Street, Masterton.

Bennison, Geo. Robert, Coach and Livery Stable Keeper, “Club” Stables, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of Australasia.

Cole and Bartlett (Henry Cole and Ralph Bartlett), Coach Proprietors, Queen Street, Masterton.

Reeves, William, Coachbuilder, Criterion Carriage Works, Hall Street Masterton. Established 1896.

Dixon Bros. (Joseph Dixon and Edward Shepherd Dixon), Aerated Water and Cordial Manufacturers, Chapel Street, Masterton. P.O. Box 62. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Branch depôt, Eketahuna. Private residence, Chapel Street, adjoining factory. This thriving business was established in 1881 by Mr. Joseph Dixon, and in 1892 Mr. E. S. Dixon was admitted to a partnership, when the present name of the firm was adopted. Messrs. Dixon Bros, import all their own chemicals and requi[gap — reason: illegible]tes, and do a very large business throughout the whole Wairarapa Valley. The factory stands on a half-acre section. The front portion of the building is occupied by the office and cordial store, behind which is the manufacturing department, and in the rear of this are the engine-house and bottle-washing room, the whole measuring seventy-six feet by twenty-nine. The labour-saving appliances include a network of galvanized iron piping connected with a thousand-gallon tank, and extending to all parts of the building;
Messrs. Dixon Bros.' Premises, Chapel Street.

Messrs. Dixon Bros.' Premises, Chapel Street.

page 968 copper boilers for syrups, with steam coils; two rapid turnover racks, and a number of other machines and trade requisites. Messrs. Dixon Bros, are members of the Dixon family which has for so many years been foremost in the cordial trade. Their father, the late Mr. Edward Dixon, is referred to on page 294 of this volume.

Hopper, L. J., and Co. (Leonard James Hooper), Bon Marche, Drapers, Clothiers, Tailors, Clothing Manufacturers, Dress and Mantle Makers, Milliners, etc., Queen Street. P.O.Box 93. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This extensive business was established in 1878. The premises are large and imposing, the floor space being about 8000 square feet. The building is of wood, and was erected many years ago; but, being constructed throughout of the heart of totara, every board is still thoroughly sound. Mr. Thos. Turnbull, architect, of Wellington, drew the designs and superintended the erection. The front is fitted with ten large panes of plate glass 12 x 5 feet, which give the premises a very handsome appearance. The centre of the shop is provided with a magnificent lantern light, 24 x 24. The height from floor to ceiling is between 30 and 40 feet, the object being to give their patrons the very best light and ventilation. The Bon Marche is the name of the establishment, and is situated in the best business portion of the town. The operations of Messrs. L. J. Hooper and Co. are large. They are direct importers of everything in the soft goods lines, and their trade extends throughout the length and breadth of the Wairarapa—right into the borders of Hawkes Bay. They employ from twenty-five to thirty hands. The success attained by the founder of this business is a remarkable example of what may be done in this Colony by a judicious exercise of ability, enterprise, and energy. Mr. Hooper was born in Nelson, and learned his business there; but like all Nelson boys soon found his native place too quiet for him. He was only twenty when he started his present business. Prior to that he had gained experience in the Wellington establishments of Messrs Kirkcaldie and Stains, and Mr. James Smith, of Te Aro House. It is evident that he must have been a recognised man of business where very young. His success in Masterton is due to his excellent business abilities. For the past fifteen years he has been ably assisted in the management of the concern by his brother, Mr. Vincent Hooper, and judging by the large amount of business being daily transacted, Messrs. Hooper, Bros are being well repaid for their energy and exertions.

Pragnell, Orlando Nathaniel Collins, Draper and Clothier, Queen Street, Masterton. Barkers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residence, Worksop Road. Mr. Pragnell, who was born in London in 1870, spent his youth in various pursuits in the city of Southampton. Arriving in the Colony in 1885, per s.s. “Rimutaka,” on the first trip of this popular steamer, he was employed by Messrs. Wickerson and Wagland, of Masterton, for about twelve months. For several years Mr. Pragnell was employed by the late Mr. P. Dickson in the Wholesale Drapery Co., rising from the position of cashier to that of manager of the Danevirke branch of the business, which he opened for the Company. Mr. Pragnell had twelve months experience in Wellington at Messrs. Warnock and Adkin's, where he acquired considerable knowledge of the general drapery trade. Returning to Masterton in March, 1892, after another thirteen months with the same firm, he started in his present commodious premises. The building, a two-story wooden structure, is well fitted up, being stocked with the latest goods imported. About a dozen hands are employed on the premises, engaged as shop assistants and in dressmaking and millinery, in which two latter departments Mr. Pragnell's reputation stands deservedly high, he being particularly successful in these branches of his business. As secretary of the Masterton Mutual Improvement Society, he is noted for his hardworking and painstaking abilities, whilst in the local Foresters' Lodge he has been a prominent member for several years.

Radford, Spencer George, Draper, Clothier, and Boot Importer, Queen Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established in 1895. Mr. Radford was previously for three years in business in Pahiatua, and for ten years in Napier.

Bell, Wm., Draper and Clothier, Queen Street, Masterton. Established 1879.

Langton, Edward G., Draper, Hall Street, Masterton.

Murray, J. L., Hatter, Hosier, Mercer, and Clothier, Queen Street, Masterton. P.O. Box 12. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residence, Church Street. Established 1892, and conducted by present proprictor ever since.

Smith, C., and Co. (Henry Owen. manager), Drapers, Queen Street, Masterton. P.O. Box 86. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Branch established in 1883.

Syverston. Sven, Clothier and Outfitter, Queen Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Private residence, Cole Street. Established 1889, and conducted by present proprietor ever since.

Whitton, Frank, Draper, Miriam Street, Masterton.

Goodall, Mrs. Susannah, Milliner, Dressmaker and Draper, Queen Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This lady, who is a sister of Messrs. Charles, Edward, and George Seagar, of Wellington, was born in Southampton, and learned her business principally as a milliner in London, where she gained large experience. Coming to New Zealand in 1880, Mrs. Goodall went to Melbourne, where she was for some years in business on her own account. On her return to the Colony she opened her present establishment in Masterton. Her shop, which is situated within a few doors of the post-office, contains an assorted stock of general drapery, and in the dressmaking and millinery departments Mrs. Goodall employs four or five assistants.

Henderson, John, Merchant Tailor, Queen Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Private residence. Worksop Road. Mr. Henderson was born in Clackmannanshire. Scotland, and was apprenticed to the tailoring with Mr T. Ritchie, of Kincardine, Perthshire. On completion of his term in 1876, he went to Edinburgh, where he had some three or four years' experience in the leading establishments of that fine city. In 1884 he came to New Zealand per s.s. “Doric,” from the Cape of Good Hope, where he had spent four years as cutter for Messrs. Edmeades Brothers. On his arrival in the Colony, Mr. Henderson went into business in Otaki, and remained there for about six years. In 1891 he established his present business, and has done exceedingly well. His shop is a good size, and he employs several first-class men all the year round.

Broom, Henry, Tailor, Colombo Road, Masterton.

Lister, G., Tailor, Perry Street, Masterton.

Webb, James, Tailor, Queen Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Established 1888.

Warner, Thos., Tailor and Habit Maker, Queen Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Private residence, Cole Street. Established 1879.

Pearson, Henry, Tailor, Queen Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Established by present proprietor in 1876

Hounslow and Hoar (Alfred Hoar), Cabinet-makers and Upholsterers, Queen Street, Masterton, Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residence, corner of Chapel and Wrigley Streets. Established in 1889. This business was conducted jointly by the partners until 1892, when Mr. Hoar purchased Mr. page 969 Hounslow's interest. The premises are of wood and iron, and contain a floorage space of upwards of 2000 square feet. Iron bedsteads and other articles of furniture are imported from the Old Country, but all kinds of cabinet work are executed on the premises. The shop contains a good show of excellent goods, and every effort is made to ensure the satisfaction of customers. Mr. Hoar, who is a young and painstaking business man, was born at Portsmouth, England, and came to New Zealand in 1874, per ship “Hourah,” from London. He learned the business with Mr. George Farmer formerly of Masterton, and was afterwards in the employ of Mr. Jago. In every way Mr. Hoar is deserving of encouragement.

Whitt, William, Cabinetmaker, Upholsterer, and Picture-Framer, Queen Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Whitt is a native of Schleswig, Germany. In his native land he was apprenticed to the trade, and had the advantage of skilled instructors, and speedily displayed considerable ability in all departments of manufacture. He became expert in the making of all kinds of household and office furniture, and subsequently he thoroughly mastered the upholstering branch of his trade, completing his term in 1851. Mr. Whitt was employed in his native town for some time, but as he thought a larger scope was open to his abilities in England he removed to Yorkshire, and entered into business in the town of Brighouse. For about fourteen years he continued in the same place, where he did an extensive trade. Hearing, however, of the superior climate and other advantages offered in the Britain of the South he disposed of his business, and came to the Colony in 1884. He arrived by the s.s. “Bombay” from London in the latter year, and at once selected the Wairarapa, and settled in Masterton. Commencing in a comparatively small way, Mr. Whitt's trade has gradually opened out and developed. Larger premises eventually became an absolute necessity, and the present central shop and factory were secured. The building, which includes a large double-fronted shop and show-room, is built of wood and iron, and is two stories in height, and affords a total floorage space of about 3500 square feet. Mr. Whitt is a direct importer of picture frames (in the manufacture of which he does a considerable trade), tapestries, cretonnes, damasks, and other materials for his industry. The time was when few people were satisfied without obtaining English-made furniture. Now, however, things are changed, and our local industries furnish a plentiful variety of the choicest. Indeed the beautiful native woods enable manufacturers who understand their business to turn out most lovely articles that have the merit of durability in addition to their beauty. Mr. Whitt makes a specialty of New Zealand woods, and undertakes to manufacture anything that may be desired. Besides a large order trade he also keeps a large stock of the produce of his works, which is open for selection. The writer noticed some splendid drawingroom and bedroom suites, which are a credit to the maker. Any description from the plainest and most serviceable to the most elegant and dainty can be undertaken, and turned out with promptness. Mr. Whitt has a standing advertisement in the work of his factory at the Club Hotel, Masterton, which he furnished throughout. A visit will satisfy the most particular as to the quality of workmanship and style. Mr. Whitt's business is the most extensive in his line in the district. He employs eight competent hands, and pays from £80 to £100 per month in wages. His connection extends throughout the whole of the Wairarapa district.

Berry, Joseph Henry, Upholsterer, Queen Street, Masterton.

Edwards, Alfred, Cabinetmaker and French Polisher, Wrigley Street.

Jago, Thos. Sampson, Cabinetmaker and Upholsterer, Queen Street, Masterton.

Robins, William Henry, Cabinetmaker, Cole Street, Masterton.

Club Hotel (Joseph Mandel, proprietor), Queen and Bannister Streets, Masterton. Telegraphic address, “Club, Masterton.” P.O. Box 25. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. This really fine hotel has been established about a quarter of a century. It is situated in the very heart of the town, and has always had the reputation of a first class hostelry. The table is excellent, and all the internal arrangements are convenient. The “Club” has been selected by the Commercial Travellers' Union as the hotel for their members when in Masterton. Mr. Mandel, well and favourably known in Wellington, purchased the “Club” in October, 1893, and immediately made extensive alterations. The plans for the additions were drawn by Mr. Thos. Turnbull, of Wellington, and satisfactorily carried out by Mr. J. Montgomery, whose tender for building and joinery work done was £720. This sum is barely half the total expenditure for improvements and renovation. The new part includes a spacious and most elaborate entrance shut off from the hall by folding lead-light doors of stained and figured glass. The hall is nine feet wide, and about forty feet long, from which the first floor is gained by means of a handsome six-foot stairway. Above are drawing-rooms for ladies, and a splendid bridal chamber, luxuriously fitted. Of bedrooms, there are no fewer that twenty-eight single, and twelve double; there are six sitting-rooms, farmers' club-room, private commercial-room, a fine dining-room, and two billiard-rooms. The private billiard-room needs to be seen to be appreciated. It is simply splendid. The table is one of Allcock's best, with all the latest fittings. Behind the stairs and near the billiard-room is a handy lavatory. The cabinet and upholstering work and the general furnishing were entrusted to Mr. W. Whitt, who carried out his contract to Mr. Mandel's entire satisfaction. The carpet's linoleums, etc., were purchased at the well-known house of Messrs. L. J. Hooper and Co. There can be no doubt that under the excellent management of Mr. Mandel, the Club Hotel, Masterton, will continue to be extremely popular.

Mr. J. Mandel.

Mr. J. Mandel.

page 970

Occidental Hotel (H. Phillips, proprietor), Queen Street, corner of Cricket Street, Masterton. Telegraphic address “Occidental, Masterton.” P.O. Box 74. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. The Occidental Hotel which became the property of Mr. Phillips in 1885, occupies a unique position for a good family hotel. It is within a minute's walk of the Post-office, and therefore quite close to the centre of the town, and its distance from the public park is not more than a hundred yards. The “Occidental” affords ample and excellent accommodation for about thirty visitors, though on occasions of great festivals a much larger company is “put up.” Mr. Phillips conducts his house with scrupulous attention to details, and succeeds in making his visitors unusually comfortable. The dining-room is very large, and by a convenient arrangement the tables may be turned into one large dining table of horseshoe shape, at which may be seated upwards of 100 guests. The parlours and drawing-room are tastefully and elegantly furnished and decorated, and the bedrooms are large and well-kept. Mr. Phillips has his own poultry-yards, the beneficial effects of which are very noticeable and well appreciated at the dining table. The tariff at the “Occidental” is reasonable, and the table good. Mr. Phillips, the proprietor, has been well known throughout the Wellington district and other parts of the Colony for many years. A native of Poland, he left the land of his birth when a young man, and shortly after wards sailed from London for this Colony, per ship “Bombay,” explain Sellars. His business experience includes some two years in the Arcade, Dunedin, as a haberdasher and several years in Invercargill and other parts of Otago Leaving the South Island, Mr. Phillips established himself as a storekeeper in Greytown, where he had the misfortune of being burnt out. Removing to Palmerston North, and engaging in the same occupation, he was burnt out a second time, again losing very heavily. The many friends, however, whom he made in these towns and their surrounding districts have not failed to bestow upon him their patronage when travelling, and in that way, and by their recommendations, have contributed in no small degree to his success at Masterton. Prior to purchasing the Occidental Hotel, Mr. Phillips conducted the Prince of Wales Hotel, Wellington, for some seven years.

Occidental Hotel, Queen and Cricket Streets.

Occidental Hotel, Queen and Cricket Streets.

Mr. H. Phillips.

Mr. H. Phillips.

page 971

Prince of Wales Family and Commercial Hotel (Proprietor, John Tucker), Queen Street. Telegraphic address, “Prince of Wales, Masterton.” P.O. Box 82. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. The Prince of Wales Hotel is said to be the oldest in the whole of the Wairarapa, having been opened in 1864. Mr. Tucker took possession in January 1894, and immediately spent £600 in improvements. It stands on an acre of ground in the very centre of Masterton—right opposite the Bank of New South Wales and adjacent to the Bank of New Zealand. It contains seventeen bedrooms, two dining-rooms (one private for families), a commercial club-room, a settlers' club-room, a private bar, a billiard-room, a smoking-room, private sitting-rooms for ladies and families, three splendid sample-rooms, outside lavatory, stablery and all needful conveniences, including hot and cold baths. The general dining-room may be entered direct from the right-of-way, a convenience taken advantage of by the townspeople dropping in for dinner. The sample-rooms are exceedingly large, conveniently shelved and fitted with gas. The price for the use of the sample rooms varies from two shillings and sixpence to four shillings per day. A really good table is kept; and the whole of the establishment is exceptionally clean and well regulated. It is remarkably quiet, and free from gambling. Electric bells are placed throughout. All wines and spirits are direct from the customs bond at Wellington. Devonshire cider and Bass' ale always in supply. The “Prince of Wales” is the depôt for the Royal Mail line of coaches. Besides numerous visitors there are a considerable number of private boarders, who patronize the “Prince of Wales.” Every attention is given to visitors, and the charges are very moderate — six shillings and sixpence per day. Mr. Tucker is most attentive in every way, and well deserving of support. The yards are in thoroughly good trim; and the kitchen and fruit gardens are very attractive. The latter contains a Swiss horse always available for visitors.

Queen's Hotel (Wm. Redmond and Mrs. Whelan proprietors), Queen Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. The Queen's Hotel, which has been established about twelve years, was acquired by the present proprietors in 1894. It is well situated, and most commodious. The hotel contains in all thirty-two rooms. The dining-room, a large and well-appointed apartment, will seat a considerable number of guests. There is a fine commercial room, several comfortable sitting-rooms, and a private bar, the whole house being well furnished in every particular. Behind the house ample stable accommodation is provided. Besides numerous visitors, there are generally a number of permanent lodgers who patronise the “Queen,” and whose wants are well looked after by Mrs. Whelan. Mr. Redmond has had large experience in catering for the needs of the public and in hotel management in both islands. Born in Ireland, he served his time with a large wine and spirit firm in that country. On his arrival in New Zealand in the year 1879, i.e obtained the management of a large hotel in Christchurch, in which position he remained for about ten years. In Pahiatua he managed the well-known Commercial Hotel for several years, and finally, in conjunction with Mrs. Whelan, took over the present well-appointed house. Every attention is given to visitors, and the tariff—four shillings per day—is very moderate, special arrangements being made with those who contemplate making a long stay. Mr. Redmond, from his early apprenticeship to the hotel business, is a very good judge of what is necessary to the successful management of a large hostelry. He is most attentive to his guests, and is deservedly popular in the district. He is a member of the local Order of Foresters, and takes an active part in social movements in the borough.

Photo by D. Wilton, Masterton, Mr. Wm. Redmond

Photo by D. Wilton, Masterton,
Mr. Wm. Redmond

Scott's Temperance Hotel (William Wellington Scott, proprietor), Queen Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Mr. Scott established his Temperance Hotel in 1886, and from the beginning it has been thoroughly well patronised. The hotel is prominently placed in the main street and conveniently near the centre of the town. It contains no fewer than
Scott's Temperance Hotel..

Scott's Temperance Hotel..

page 972
Mr. W. W. Scott.

Mr. W. W. Scott.

twenty-eight rooms, of which twenty are bedrooms, the majority of the latter being what are known as double rooms. The tariff is £1 and £1 2s. 6d. per week, the higher price being paid for the privilege of a single room. Mr. Scott claims that his table is equal to any in the district, and all conveniences are provided which are requisite for the comfort and accommodation of his numerous patrons. The Temperance Hotel is patronized by a large number of regular boarders, and the recommendation of those regular boarders doubtless does much in contributing to the assured success of the establishment. Mr. Scott, the proprietor, thoroughly understands his business, having been brought up to the line in the Old Land, where his father for many years conducted a similar establishment, well known as the Dromore Temperance Hotel, in County Tyrone, Ireland. Determined to try his fortune in the colonies, Mr. Scott sailed from London for New Zealand in 1881, per steamship “Arawa,” and after gaining some experience of the Colony, began the business in which he has from the first been much more than ordinarily successful.

Temperance Hotel (Bart. McVicar, proprietor), Hall Street, Masterton. Established 1896, and conducted by present proprietor since 1883.

Empire Hotel (Thos. Thompson, proprietor), Queen Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Established 1874, and conducted by present proprietor since 1883.

Royal Hotel (Jeremiah O'Meara, proprietor), Queen Street, Masterton. Conducted by present licensee since 1896.

Empire Buffet Lodging-house, (Mrs. Emily Rayner, proprietress), Queen Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Mrs. Rayner has had large experience in catering for the public in Wellington and at Taita, and in the Empire Buffet possesses an establishment which, in point of size and furnishing, will compare most favourably with any other boardinghouses in Masterton. The building, which is situated in the main business street of Masterton, has ample accommodation for a very large number of lodgers. It contains fifteen bedrooms, three sitting rooms, and a very large dining-room, which will seat fully a hundred people. Mrs. Rayner, who attends to the cuisine personally, has had considerable experience in providing banquets, and may be relied upon to give her guests every satisfaction. The charges at the Empire Buffet are most moderate, whilst the attendance leaves nothing to be desired by the weary traveller who decides upon making his home under Mrs. Rayner's kindly roof.

Railway Boardinghouse (Edwin Street and Henry Crowder, proprietors), Hall Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of Australasia and Bank of New Zealand. This well known boardinghouse has been in the hands of the present proprietors for the last two years, during which time Messrs. Street and Crowder have greatly improved the house and the business. The building is a substantial two-story structure, and is situated in Hall Street, opposite the Post-office, in the very centre of the borough. The Railway Boardinghouse has accommodation for a large number of boarders and visitors. There are eighteen bedrooms, which are all comfortably furnished and well kept. The dining-room is convenient and well appointed, having chairs for twenty-eight persons, the table being maintained in really good style. Separate private sitting-rooms are provided for ladies and gentlemen. In all cases the charges are most moderate. Anyone staying at the Railway Boardinghouse can rely upon receiving every attention from the proprietors, special terms being made to permanent lodgers. Before embarking in his present line of business, Mr. Crowder was well known throughout the Wairarapa district as a farmer, having resided in the vicinity of Masterton for very many years. Mr. Street, the senior partner, was also previously engaged in agricultural pursuits. Born in Warwickshire, England, he engaged in farming in his native country till he was twenty-eight years of age, when he decided to come to the Colony with [gap — reason: illegible] view to continue the same occupation. After several years spent in various parts of New Zealand, Mr. Street took a trip to the Old Country, and upon his return entered into partnership with Mr. Crowder in the Railway Boardinghouse. The house should certainly commend itself to the travelling public as being a very quiet and well-conducted place of residence.

Bulpitt. James, Boardinghousekeper, Devonshire House, Victoria Street, Masterton.

Francis, Wm., Restaurant and Boardinghousekeeper, Queen Street, Masterton, Established by present proprietor 1890.

Maltby, Arthur Raymond, Restaurant Keeper, The Trocadero, Queen Street, Masterton.

Marley, Mrs., Boardinghousekeeper, Carnarvon House, Chapel Street, Masterton. Established about 1884.

Mould, Ed., Universal Boardinghouse, Queen Street, Masterton. Established by present proprietor in 1893.

Prisk, Mrs., Boardinghousekeeper, Church Street, Masterton.

Beale, Herbert, Wholesale and Retail Tinsmith, Plumber and Gasfitter, Queen Street. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Mr. Beale came to the Colony when very young, with his parents. He was brought up in Wellington, where he served his apprenticeship to the trade with T. Garland, of Molesworth Street. After completing his term in 1887, he continued to work as journeyman at the same place till 1892, making twelve years in Mr. Garland's service. The present business was established by L. W. Nicholson, in 1885. Mr. Beale purchased the business in 1892, and under his energetic management, the trade has steadily grown. The premises page 973 are of iron and wood, two stories in height, comprising over 1000 feet of floorage space. Mr. Beale has a complete tinsmith's plant, including guillotine, seaming, and other machinery which has been specially imported for the purpose of the business. It is Mr. Beale's intention to procure additional plant from America, so as to make his machinery in every respect up-to-date. Mr. Beale makes all descriptions of tinware required for household purposes, as well as what is needed by the trade. He is also an authorised plumber and gasfitter, and as such is prepared at all times to undertake any work that may be desired. Mr. Beale gives special attention to the manufacture of utensils required by dairy factories and farmers.

Welch, Edward, Veterinary Shoeing Forge. Queen Street. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residence, Lansdowne. Mr. Welch is a native of New Zealand, and was apprenticed to Mr. G. Dixon, of Masterton, completing his term in 1890, when he purchased his employer's business, as farrier and general blacksmith, and has successfully conducted the same ever since that time. The premises occupied are centrally situated in the main street. The building is of iron, and comprises about 1100 feet of floorage space Mr. Welch works for farmers and other residents in Masterton and all other parts of the Wairarapa. He is an expert at his business.

Allen, George, Blacksmith, Miriam Street, Masterton.

Bradford, Alf., Gunsmith and General Jobbing Smith, Queen Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established by present proprietor in 1877.

Cameron, Wm. Farrier and General Blacksmith, Bannister Street, Masterton. Private residence, Worksop Road. Established by present proprietor in 1885.

Cole, Henry, Junr., Blacksmith, Cole Street, Masterton.

Crawford, Robert, Blacksmith, Queen Street, Masterton.

Findlay, Robert, Blacksmith, Queen Street, Masterton.

Kingdon, S., Plumber, Gasfitter, etc., Queen Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established 1877.

O'Leary, Humphrey John, Blacksmith, Queen Street, Masterton.

Owen, Arthur, Blacksmith, Cole Street, Masterton.

Pickering, David, Plumber and Tinsmith, Masterton Plumbing Works, Queen Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Established by present proprietor in 1876.

Pybus, Arthur, Blacksmith, Queen Street, Masterton.

Pybus, John, Blacksmith, Queen Street, Masterton.

Elliott, James, Saddler and Harness Maker, Queen Street, Masterton. Branch establishment, Pahiatua. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Wrigley Street. Mr. Elliot has been in business as above since the year 1880. During that time he has succeeded in working up a really good trade, both local and country. He keeps an excellent stock, and there is a business air about the place that gives the appearance of progress. Vehicles of every description are constantly stopping, while their drivers call to have some want attended to. Mr. Elliott's country trade extends as far as Hawkes Bay. Besides manufacturing saddles and harness of every description, he is a direct importer of everything needed for his business. His imports are mainly from the house of Messrs. Charles Greatrex and Sons, though by no means exclusively. At the shows of 1894, both at Masterton and Carterton, Mr. Elliott obtained first prize. His experience tells him that the quality of his work is the best advertisement, and with this view he is careful to stamp every article manufactured on his premises. In fittings, whips, and oiled clothing, Mr. Elliott deals extensively. His shop is a good one, with about 1200 square feet of floorage. Mr. Elliott is a native of Longford, Ireland, where he learned his business with Mr. John Watson. In 1879 he came to this Colony per ship “Warrick,” from Plymouth. During the time he has been in Masterton he has become more than ordinarily popular, and been more than ordinarily successful.

Townsend and Cowper (George Arnold Townsend), Saddlers, and Harness Makers, Queen Street. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Private residence, Albert Street. This flourishing business was established in 1872 by Messrs. Watson and Winteringham. It was a small affair then as compared with its present dimensions; but Masterton itself was small in those days. In 1887 Messrs. Townsend and Cowper became possessed of it, and in their hands the trade rapidly increased. The partnership subsisting between them expired by effluxion of time in 1893, and then Mr. Townsend bought out his partner's interest. It is still carried on under the name by which it is so well known. The premises are large, the floor space being 2900 square feet; but a part of this space is let off to various tenants as offices. The building is of wood and iron, and two lofty stories. Messrs. Townsend and Cowper are direct importers, as well as manufacturers, of saddlery and harness of all descriptions. Their business has grown with the town and district. Their trade extends throughout the whole of the Wairarapa and the East Coast to Hawkes Bay, and there is always a busy business look about the whole establishment. They hold first prize certificates from the Masterton Agricultural and Pastoral Association. Mr. Townsend is a native of Gloucestershire, and arrived in this Colony in the year 1872, per ship “Conflict,” from London. He was apprenticed to Mr. R. G. Williams, a late saddler of Masterton, completing his apprenticeship in 1882. Mr. Townsend enjoys the goodwill of the Wairarapa folks in no limited extent. He is attentive to his business and obliging with customers, and in every way deserving of support.

Hannah, R., and Co. (Robert Hannah), Boot and Shoe Makers, Queen Street, Masterton. P.O. Box 71. Manager, Mr. H. Petersen. Private residence, Miriam Street. Mr. Petersen conducted the business on his own account for several years, when it was purchased by the above well-known Wellington firm.

Boagey, John James, Saddler, Queen Street, Masterton.

Carpenter, J., Bootmaker and Importer, Central Boot Warehouse, Queen Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Established 1876.

Cowper, Charles Richard, Saddler, Worksop Road, Masterton.

Hounslow, H., Bootmaker, Queen Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Established 1888 by present proprietor.

Morris, Geo., Bootmaker, Chapel Street, Masterton.

Styles, Ernest Samuel, Bootmaker, Queen Street, Masterton. Established 1896.

Thompson, Thomas Henry, Saddler and Harness Maker, Queen Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residence, Lansdowne. Established 1891 by present proprietor.

Vollheim, Carl, Bootmaker, Queen Street, Masterton. Established by present proprietor in 1892.

Watson, George, Saddler and Harness Maker, Queen Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Established 1876.

The Wairarapa Farmers' Cooperative Association, Limited, General and Produce Merchants, Ironmongers, Drapers, Grocers, Milliners, Dressmakers, Boot and Shoe Vendors, and Dealers in Paints, Oils, and Farm and Station Requisites. Head office, Queen Street. P.O. Box 5. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Shipping office, Featherston Street, Wellington. London office, 18 Fenchurch Buildings, Fenchurch Street, E.C. Branches, Greytown, Pahiatua, Tenui, and Carterton. This Company was registered in 1892, the business having originally been established in 1863 by the present popular managing director, Mr. M. Caselberg. This gentleman conducted a steadily growing concern for nearly thirty years, and during the latter portion page 974 of this period he was ably assisted by his sons. From a small business in the early days of settlement in the Wairarapa, it had expanded until it became the largest inland trade in the North Island. At this stage the Company was launched with a nominal capital of £100,000 in 20,000 shares of £5 each, and took over the goodwill and business, freehold and leasehold properties and stock-in-trade. The total shares issued to the 31st July, 1894, was 14,819, representing £74,095 subscribed capital, of which £37,398 is actually paid up. The reserve fund stands at £4271, a large amount considering the age of the Company. A dividend of eight per cent, was declared on capital, and four per cent was paid on shareholders' purchases, and likewise on employees' salaries. Altogether the sum of £4600 has been paid in bonuses in a little over two years. The Company's head office is a handsome brick building, centrally situated in Queen Street, and used for the hardware, grocery, and other lines. Several other convenient premises in the same street are occupied by the drapery and clothing, the millinery and dressmaking, the boot and shoe, fancy goods, and other departments. A large granary, which is often filled with produce, has been erected at one end of the town. The total floorage space in use in connection with the business in Masterton exceeds 44,000 square feet. In Greytown the branch of the Association is doing a good trade, the building occupied for general purposes having 5000 square feet of floor space. In addition there is a large bulk store which extends to 10,000 square feet. The cheese factory is in full swing, and turns out a large quantity of the well-known brand, “Greytown Cheese Factory.” The Carterton stores and bulk store are large and central, affording about 10,000 square feet space. The buildings used at Pahiatua are of similar size to those last named. The total floorage space of the various premises, including the Tenui store, Greytown Cheese and Kopuaranga Dairy Factories, exceeds 85,000 square feet. The total number of employees at the various establishments of the Company, including heads of departments, is about ninety. £1000 is the average amount paid in salaries each month. The principal farmers and station holders in the Wairarapa are shareholders in the Company, the total number of shareholders being 1000. The Association are agents for the Phœnix Fire Insurance Company, the Wellington Meat Export Company's manures, De Laval cream separators, Fison's manure, Deering's reapers and binders, lime manure, Brook's, Cooper's, Little's, Hatch's and other sheep dips, Defiance churns, Luke's ranges, and many others. The Company imports direct through their London buyers all classes of goods they require in connection with their extensive trade. They are large shippers of wool, rabbit skins, cheese and butter, their brands for the latter being the Clasped Hands (welcome), Wheat-sheaf, Squirrel, Stag, and Primrose, and other produce. They ship a great quantity on account of shareholders, to whom they make large advances at a low rate of interest in cases where required. A large sum is saved annually in exchange, owing to the extent of the Company's operations. The present directors are M. Caselberg (chairman), Dr. W. H. Hosking, L. J. Nathan, Donald Donald, C. Pharazyn, D. J. Nathan, A. W. Cave, L. Caselberg, and W. Booth. The secretary is D. W. McIntosh. Solictor, A. R. Bunny. The whole operations of the Company are conducted on the most advanced up-to-date co-operative principles, where the consumer is fairly considered as well as the capitalist.

Chamberlain Bros. (Giles Edinburgh Chamberlain and Edmund Edinburgh Chamberlain), Flour Millers, Grain Merchants, Bread and Biscuit Bakers and Confectioners, Threshing Machine, and Traction Engine Proprietors. Roller Flour Mills and Offices, Albert Street; Bakery and Retail Shop, Queen Street, (South end); Retail Branch, Queen Street, Masterton. Private residence,
Messrs. Chamberlain Bros. Flourmills

Messrs. Chamberlain Bros. Flourmills

page 975 Upper Plain. Cable address, “Chamberlain, Masterton.” P.O. Box 46. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. The senior partner, who takes the active management of the business, is a native of Northamptonshire. and arrived in the Colony, when very young, with his parents, per ship “Old London,” in 1842. Mr. Edmund was born in New Zealand. Soon after the great earthquake of 1855, the family settled in the Wairarapa, and were among the first to take up land in this splendid valley. Both partners were brought up to the honourable calling of farming, and neither have left their original choice. On the Upper Plain they still own and occupy their own farms, to which a large portion of their ability and energy is devoted, with good success. The flour milling business was established in 1874 by S. E. Gapper, who erected a portion of the mill, which is given in its complete form in the illustration below. The business was sold to the present proprietors in 1877, and immediately on gaining possession it was found necessary to enlarge and add to the plant. This process of extension has been repeated several times since that date, and now the building is fully four times as large as it was when purchased. The building is of wood, and three stories in height, and contains a floorage space equal to nearly 22,000 square feet. One of the first requisites was a steam-engine; this the firm ordered from Messrs. Luke and Sons, of Wellington. The engine is one of the tandem compound condensing description, horizontal action, and is of fourteen horse-power nominal, with a much larger capacity. The firm speak in eulogistic terms of this splendid engine, which has been no trouble ever since it was fixed in position. The fuel used is wood, of which about one-and-a-half cords are consumed daily. The mill was originally entirely a stone process, but with modern developments in milling Messrs. Chamberlain realized that it was imperative that they should re-organize or be left hopelessly in the race of progress. They determined that they would have their mill up-to-date in every respect, and for this purpose imported from Australia and elsewhere the newest and most modern plant, so as to make their mill second to none in point of machinery. The whole process is performed automatically. The wheat on arrival is properly stored ready for grinding. It first passes through one of Barnard's horizontal scouring smutters, and subsequently it goes through the Eureka Brush finishing smutter. These two splendid machines thoroughly cleanse the grain and prepare it for the grinding bins, to which it is then elevated by patent elevators. It is on one of the upper floors where the splendid Cornelius internal roller machine is situated. This mill is capable of grinding from twelve to fifteen bushels per hour. The produce of this machine is now elevated to two hexagon reels, which separate the fine bran from the middlings. From the reels the bran goes to the offal separator, and the middlings to the Austral purifier, made by Schumaker. After purification the product is ground over two smooth steel rolls, one made by Moyes, an American maker, and the other by an English maker of the name of Smith. The products of these rolls are again elevated and separated by themselves, the produce being then mixed with the general stock, which is once more put through the hexagon reel. The flour from this reel, now nearly finished, is re-dressed in the round reel, and forced through fine silk when it is finished. From this point it is elevated to the large bin, from which it is fed into sacks. The mill will produce fully three sacks per hour. The brand is “Wairarapa Roller Flour.” The firm have been prize takers. At Melbourne Exhibition, 1888, they obtained first silver medal for stone dressed flour, which was so good that it was classed with roller flour. They also received first prize for Wairarapa-grown oats, and third prize for wheat. The bakehouse is fitted up with two large ovens, where about two-and-a-half tons of flour are baked weekly. The bakery, with the shop adjoining, contains about 2600 square feet of flootage space. The large retail shop is central; it has two stories and has over 500 square feet of floorage space. Messrs. Chamberlain Bros, have two large vans and a cart regularly engaged in delivering bread to the various customers, who are numerous. They employ eleven hands, to whom about £75 per month is paid in wages. In addition to the milling plant they have a complete oat-crushing and kibbling plant. As proprietors of threshing machines they undertake to thresh as required, while the traction engine is always available for drawing wool or any similar purpose. The firm have done a good deal to assist in the development of the Wairarapa, and Mr. Edmund has for a long period been a councillor of the Masterton Borough Council.

Heron, George, Grain and Produce Merchant, corner of Hall and Church Streets, Masterton. P.O. Box 43. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Private residence, Kuripuni. For about seventeen years Mr. Heron has conducted this business; his connection extends throughout the Wairarapa, his supplies being drawn mostly from the South Island. Further particulars of Mr. Heron's career are given elsewhere in this volume as Mayor of the borough of Masterton.

Kearsley, James Francis, Grocer, Fruiterer and Wholesale and Retail Manufacturing Confectioner, Queen Street, Masterton. Telegraphic address, “Kearsley, Masterton.” Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Dixon Street. Mr. Kearsley was born in Wellington in 1850, his father, Mr. James Kearsley, arriving in Port Nicholson in 1842, per ship “George Fife.” Educated at the Church of England School, under the late Mr. Holmes, Mr. Kearsley entered the employ of Mr. William Anderson, grocer, of Wellington, who subsequently sold his business to Mr. S. S. Griffiths. Thus Mr. Kearsley learned the business of grocer, and when Mr. Griffiths embarked in the manufacture of confectionery the assistant learned also that branch of his business. When Mr. Griffiths' establishment became the property of the Wellington Biscuit and Confectionery Company, Mr. Kearsley continued with that firm also, severing his connection therewith so recently as March, 1896, when he immediately established himself as above in Masterton. The business is growing rapidly, and the plant is being greatly extended. It already includes all kinds of machinery for the manufacture of every description of boiled confectionery. Besides these goods, Mr. Kearsley has placed upon the market several special confections of superior quality. “Rinfresco di Modena” is the name of a cooling and refreshing effervescent drink which Mr. Kearsley has introduced, and which is fast becoming popular as a summer beverage. As a musician, whose principal instrument is the French horn, the subject of this sketch has long been well known in Wellington, and in taking up his abode in Masterton was promptly placed in charge of St. Patrick's choir, where his son, Mr. Joseph Kearsley, ably fills the position of organist. In 1872, Mr. Kearsley was married to Miss Purcell, daughter of Mr. Roderick Purcell, of Templemore, Ireland, and his family consists of a son and a daughter.

Temple and Co. (Robert Folkes Temple), General Storekeeper, Queen Street. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Temple is a native of Norfolk, and had the advantage of a thorough training in business habits in early life. He gained a general knowledge of mercantile affairs that has been of material assistance to him in his life in the Colony. He reached New Zealand in 1887 by s.s. “Arawa.” For about two years Mr. Temple found employment in general business, taking care to learn all he could, as he page 976 contemplated making a start on his own behalf. In 1889 he founded the present business, commencing in a little shop in one of the side streets, with a small capital of three shillings at his disposal. By careful buying and general good management, Mr. Temple succeeded in conducting a steady little trade, gradually adding to his stock as fast as possible. Seeking to satisfy his customers by supplying firstclass articles at the minimum prices, he has year by year had the satisfaction of noting the gradual increase in the volume of his trade. It was not long before the old shop became much too small, and when the premises now occupied in Queen Street were offered, Mr. Temple took a lease of the same and removed thereto. The building, which appears in the engraving, is a most convenient one for the purposes of the business. It is of iron and wood, two stories in
Messrs. Temple and Co.'s Premises, Queen Street.

Messrs. Temple and Co.'s Premises, Queen Street.

height, with nearly 5000 feet of floor space. The handsome double-fronted shop gives splendid facilities for displaying the large and varied assortment of goods. In the centre of the shop a large counter is fitted up to show the crockery and glassware, which is a specialty with the firm of Temple and Co. In order to maintain a choice selection of these goods, the firm have completed arrangements with well-known manufacturers and shippers, and from these sources they are regularly receiving considerable shipments. A large business is done in these lines to the advantage of all parties. One side of the shop is devoted to grocery and produce, while the other is given up to hardware, brushware, etc. The back portion of the building is used as a residence. Owing to the large and increasing stock, it has been necessary to use some of the upstair rooms for the purposes of the business, and it is quite evident that at no distant date it will be needful for the entire building to be devoted to the trade. At the back of the allotment a large and convenient warehouse, built of iron, has been erected for storing flour, grain, sugar, etc. Three horses are required in the business, also a brake and a cart are regularly employed in the work of delivery. The business expands throughout the entire Wairarapa district. The trade has expanded very much and is still steadily increasing. For the year last ended, prior to November 1894, the total turnover was £4500.

Wyeth George, Grocer and General Storekeeper, Kuripuni Store and Post-office, Kuripuni, Masterton. Telegraph address, “Wyeth, Masterton.” Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Mr. Wyeth was born in Wellington in 1841, and is the son of Mr. Robert Wyeth, of Masterton, who arrived in Port Nicholson on the 3rd of January, 1840, by the New Zealand Company's survey vessel “Cuba.” Mr. Wyeth was then a single man. Among the passengers by the “Duke of Roxburgh,” which arrived on the 7th of the following month, was a single lady passenger named Miss Runalls. Though the young people had never previously met, they soon agreed to make a home in the new land, and were married two months later, and in the following March their son was born. Educated in Wellington, Mr. Wyeth soon gained experience of country life, engaging in busshfelling and other pursuits in and around the Hutt Valley until 1883, when he removed to Masterton and established his present business. Mr. Wyeth's is the only store in Kuripuni, and being well liked in the neighbourhood, he does a good steady trade. Mr. Wyeth was married in 1896 to Miss Mary Horsefall, formerly of Yorkshire, England, but more recently of the South Island.

Graham, J., and Co. (John Graham), General Storekeepers, corner of Queen and Bannister Streets, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Established about 1872, and conducted by present proprietors since 1882.

Rive, Philip Alfred, General Storekeeper, Perry Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established 1893.

Rayner, Thomas Charles, Grocer, Queen Street, Masterton. Estab. about 1894.

Sage, G. C., Sail and Tent Maker, Queen Street, Master. ton. Telegraphic address, “Sage, Masterton.” Private residence, Clifton Lodge, Upper Plain. Mr. Sage is a native of Clifton, Bristol, England, and. was apprenticed to the trade of a sailmaker, etc., with Messrs. Evans, Son and Co., shipbuilders and sailmakers, of Bristol, completing his term in 1864. During the currency of his indentures, be was allowed several sea voyages, that he might become more practically acquainted with the sailmaking branch. In 1866 he arrived in the Colony per s.s. “Rangitoto,” from Melbourne, and some eight years later started business on his own account in Wellington as tent, tarpaulin, and waterproof clothing manufacturer. Removing to Masterton in 1884, he established his present business, and has done fairly well, his business being the only one of its kind in the Wairarapa. One of Mr. Sage's sons is employed on his farm at the Upper Plain, which is at present under cultivation. One of the family, which numbers thirteen, is married.

Shaw, William, New and Second Hand Dealer, Hall Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Kuripuni. Established by present proprietor in 1885.

Sillars, James, Dealer in New and Second Hand Goods, Queen Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Established 1882, and conducted by the present proprietor since 1892.

Hawke, W., Livery Stable Proprietor, Prince of Wales Horse Repository, Queen Street, Masterton. P.O. Box 44. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residence, Cole Street. This business has been established a quarter of a century, and was conducted by the present proprietor in the Club Hotel stables till 1895, page 977
Mr. W. Hawke's Livery Stables, Queen Street.

Mr. W. Hawke's Livery Stables, Queen Street.

when he took over the present premises. Mr. Hawke has a fine lot of horses, and a great variety of vehicles, the latter including single and double harness buggies, dog-carts, landaus, brakes, etc. Saddle horses, trained for ladies and gentlemen, may also be hired at any time. Mr. Hawke is well known throughout the Wairarapa, being a native of the Lower Hutt, and having been engaged in the carrying trade for the whole district for the ten years previous to his acquiring this business. The building, which is of iron, is both large and convenient; it contains twenty stalls, four loose-boxes, large loft for the storage of fodder of all kinds, ample harness, waiting-rooms, and office accommodation. The total floorage space is a little less than 10,000 square feet. The place is well drained, the central floor being of solid clay, which is regularly kept hard by watering, thus preventing the accumulation of dust.
Pinhey Bros. (John Southwood Pinhey and Reginald Pinhey), Carriage Repository, Queen Street. Telegraphic address. “Pinhey's Stables, Masterton.” Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residences: J. S. Pinhey came Chapel Street; R. Pinhey, Queen Street. Both partners are natives of Devonshire. Mr. J. S. Pinhey came to the Colony in 1886, per s. s. “Kaikoura,” and Mr. R. Pinhey in 1888, per s.s. “Ruapehu,” and both were connected with the same line of business in England. The splendid new stables used by the firm are built of iron and wood, Mr. G. E. Daniel being the contractor. These stables are much admired and considered the most
Messrs. Pinhey Bros.' Stables, Queen Street.

Messrs. Pinhey Bros.' Stables, Queen Street.

modern in Masterton. The whole floor, which contains nearly 7000 square feet of space, is floored with substantial timber. Ladies' and gentlemen's waiting-rooms, with water and gas laid on, have been fitted up for the use of customers. The firm established themselves in 1894, and have been well patronized by the following:—His Excellency Lord Glasgow, Hons. Walter Johnston, Rolleston, and Messrs. Beetham, Hogg, and Buchanan, M.H.R.'s. The firm have ten traps, consisting of landaus, broughams, drags, buggies, gigs, etc., which are always available with quiet horses and skilled drivers whenever required.

Broadbent, Charles, Watchmaker, Queen Street, Masterton. Coming to the Colony in 1863, Mr. Broadbent worked for a short time in Dunedin, and in the following year removed to the West Coast, where he remained for about ten years. In 1874 he removed to Wellington, establishing a shop in Cuba Street. Here he did a good trade until 1879, when he removed to Carterton. Two years later he settled in Masterton, and has since conducted a business there.

Dougall, William, Watchmaker, Jeweller, and Optician, Queen Street. P.O. Box 90. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This business was established in 1884 by Messrs. W. Littlejohn and Son, of Lambton Quay, Wellington, as a branch of their city business. About a year afterwards, Mr. Dougall purchased it, and under his management it has made rapid strides. It is a really first-class business. An excellent stock is kept, and is well displayed. The shop is large and handsomely fitted. There are four hands regularly employed, and such time as Mr. Dougall can be spared from the counter, he is at the bench, personally attending to the most difficult work. He is a thorough tradesman, having learned the business with William Harvey, of Sterling. Mr. Dougall is an importer of watches, clocks, jewellery, optical appliances, etc., and in all these lines, he keeps the latest novelties. He is evidently popular and enjoys the reputation of having the best business in his line in the whole of the Wairarapa district. Mr. Dougall is a native of Scotland, being born at Bannockburn. He arrived in this Colony in 1882, per ship “Dunedin,” from Greenock.

Henderson, Alex, Watchmaker and Jeweller, Queen Street, Masterton. P.O. Box 90. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residence, Lincoln Road. Mr. Henderson established his present business in Masterton in 1884. His premises are centrally situated, the stand being among the very best in the town; and his shop is fairly large and convenient, presenting a good appearance, and comparing favourably with many of the jewellers' shops of the Empire City. During the twelve years that Mr. Henderson has been in business he has worked up a good connection. He is personally popular, both with the townspeople and the country settlers, an especially good proportion of the latter being among his regular customers. The stock is replete with all kinds of clocks, watches, jewellery, and optical appliances, in all of which lines Mr. Henderson is a direct importer. Among his specialties is a watch recently introduced and named the “Perfection Watch.” It is nickel cased and keyless, and, being a really good timekeeper, suitable for rough wear, and purchasable at the very low price of twenty shillings, it is not surprising that Mr. Henderson has made “a good hit” with his “Perfection Watch.” In repairs, as in sales, Mr. Henderson does a good business. He is careful and reliable, while his charges are exceedingly moderate. Mr. Henderson was born and educated in Dunedin, and served his time in that southern city with the well-known watchmaker, jeweller, etc., Mr. John Hislop. He completed his apprenticeship in 1869, and during the five years prior to his establishment in Masterton, he had excellent page 978 Alex Henderson experience as a journeyman. The picture given above will be recognized by thousands as an excellent portrait of the subject of this sketch.

Dupré, Frank J., Watchmaker and Jeweller, Queen Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established 1895.

Presswood, George Housley, Watchmaker and Jeweller, Queen Street, Masterton. Established 1885.

Carey, William, Wood Turner and Chair Maker, Masterton Steam Turnery Works, Hall Street. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Mr. Carey has been established since 1884. Besides a house and store, the turnery itself contains about 1000 square feet of floorage. The machinery includes a twelve-foot lathe, a six-foot lathe, and a still smaller lathe for foot work, a circular saw, and other appliances. The engine and boiler were supplied by Mr. Walter Brown, machinery importer, of Wellington; and Mr. Carey speaks of both in the highest terms of praise. Mr. Carey supplies all the builders and cabinet makers of the town and district. He is able to turn circles for ventilators and similar purposes up to six feet in diameter, so there is no need to send any turnery work out of the district. In a store-room near the works, Mr. Carey has a large stock of table legs, drawers and sofa stumps, colonial sofa rails and stumps, Yankee bedsteads, double and single, and fancy work for duchess tables, washstands, etc. Mr. Carey was born in Bristol, where he was apprenticed to Nailer and Co. In 1862 he arrived in the Colony, from Melbourne, after working there for a year or so at his trade. He was in business in Dunedin for several years.

Pragnell, Wm., Timber and Coal Merchant, Queen Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Established 188s.

Butement, John, Brewer, Bottler, and Maltster, Eagle Brewery, Michael Dixon Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residence, Worksop Road. Established 1884, and conducted by present proprietor since 1890.

Hoffeins, Hans M., Dairyman, Akura, near Masterton, Estab. about 1880.

Thompson, Miss Jane, Dairykeeper, Kuripuni Dairy, Queen Street, Masterton. Established 1894.

Mitchell, C. H. Signwriter, Decorator, and Painter, Queen Street, Masterton Established 1894.

Green, George Havelock, Tobacconist and Hairdresser, Queen Street, Masterton. Established 1895.

Rea, Hugh, Tobacconist and Billiard Saloon Keeper, Queen Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Established by present proprietor in 1891.

White, A, and Co., Tobacconists and Hairdessers, Central Hairdressing Saloon, Queen Street, Masterton Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Established by present proprietors in 1892.

Williams, J., Wholesale and Retail Tobacconist and Faney Goods Dealer, Fishing Tackle Depôt, Queen Street, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of Australasia, Established by present proprietor in 1879.

Elley, J., Pork Butcher, Queen Street. Masterton. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Established about 1882 by the present proprietor.

Holloway, Frederick, Butcher, Queen Street, Masterton, Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established 1892, and conducted since that time by the present proprietor.

Stempa, Augustine, Butcher, Masterton. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Established 1895.

Stone, James, Nurseryman. Waipoua Nursery, near Masterton about 1878.

Taylor, Edward, Nurseryman and Fruiterer, Masterton, Estab. about 1889.

Elliott, Jas. Pollock, Bookseller, Stationer, and Musicseller, Cole Street, Masterton. P.O. Box 27. Bankers. Bank of New South Wales. Established in 1891 by Mr. John Watt, and conducted by present proprietor since 1895.

Gillespie and Co. (Thos. Gillespie). Printers and Lithographers, Perry Street, Masterton. P.O. Box 56. Bankers. Bank of New South Wales. Private residence, Kuripuni. Established 1893.

Holmes, R. T., Bookseller and Stationer, Queen Street, Masterton P.O. Box 11. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Lincoln Road. Estalished 1879. Conducted by present proprietor since 1890.

Humphrey, Mrs. H., Fancy Goods Dealer and Registry Office, Queen Street, Masterton. Established 1892.

O'Connor. Fergus, Printer Queen Street, Masters, Bank of N.W South Wales. Established 1895.