Belvedere Dairy Factory,
Carterton, which was opened in September, 1896, is situated about a mile from Carterton Railway Station. The building, which includes marking, curing and packing rooms, measures eighty-five feet by thirty-five feet, and there is a five-roomed cottage adjoining for the manager. The factory is fitted with all the latest dairying appliances and machinery, an eight-horse-power steam-engine supplying the power, the vats having a capacity of 1800 gallons.
Mr. James Dawson,
Manager of the Belvedere Dairy Factory, was born in 1868 at Woodlands, Southland, where he received his education at the public school. After a time on his father's dairy farm he worked at the Waianawa Dairy Factory under the supervision of the late Mr. Louis Dawson, and afterwards at the
Omimi Dairy Factory. Mr. Dawson was then appointed the first manager of the Waikouaiti Dairy Factory, which has made a reputation throughout New Zealand for the excellence of its cheese. Here he remained four years. In 1892, whileat Waikouaiti, Mr. Dawson was married to Miss Grant, daughter of Mr. Donald Grant, a well known settler. For three years afterwards he had charge of the Eltham Dairy Factory, Taranaki, and after a holiday trip round the Australian colonies entered upon his duties in Carterton. Mr. Dawson is a member of the Order of Oddfellows, and in musical matters is a devoted violinist.