The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Before leaving Featherston by rail, the tourist should make an effort to see Martinborough, for which township the coach leaves daily at 10.45 a.m., passing through on its way the small farming settlement of Kaiwaiwai, which is distant from Featherston about five miles.
Kaiwaiwai may be said to be composed of the school and schoolhouse, the public hall and the library, a church, and the sub-post-office. The mails arrive by the coach at 11.30, and are despatched on the return journey at 7.20—not in the evening, as one would naturally suppose, but in the morning by the coach, which reaches Featherston in time for the train to Wellington.
The public library, which is an unusual adjunct to so small a place, contains some 400 volumes. The intellgence and catholicity of the settlers is well displayed in the fact that the one church building is used by various denominations.
Kaiwaiwai Public School is a pleasant looking wooden building containing two rooms. Attached to the school there is an ample playground for the children and a comfortable residence for the head teacher. At the time of writing (1896) the number of children on the roll was fifty-six, and the average attendance forty seven. The headmaster is assisted by one pupil tacher.
The farms surrounding the little settlement are highly cultivated. The land is flat, and in parts swampy, the soil being rich and the vegetation luxuriant.
The road from Featherston and on to Martinborough is exceedingly good. Commercial travellers and others desirous of returning on the day of arrival either ride or drive, or do the run on a “bike.” There is little chance of losing the way, and the drive, especially the portion beyond Kaiwaiwai, is most enjoyable in suitable weather.
The Featherston District Rifle Club's range is at Kaiwaiwai.
Mr. James Costin Webb, B.A., Headmaster of Kaiwaiwai Public School, was born in Wellington in 1859. He was educated at Mr. Mowbray's private school, the Wellington Grammar School, and the Wellington College. After a short commercial experience he became a teacher in 1890 in a private school, and in 1893. he was appointed to his present position. Mr. Webb holds a B3 certificate.