The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
The Borough of Onslow
The Borough of Onslow, which lies on the west side of the harbour, includes in its boundaries the townships of Kaiwarra, Khandallah, Crofton, and Wadestown, the first being the principal settlement, where the office of the Borough is located. The Borough is bounded by the city of Wellington, the Borough of Karori, Johnsonville Town District, and portions of the Hutt County, and fronts the harbour of Port Nicholson from the boundary of the city at Thorndon Esplanade to a point to the northward of Kaiwarra. The Corporation have about twenty miles of formed and installed roads within the Borough, besides a large number of unformed roads. The three wards are known as North—including Crofton and Khandallah; South—embracing Wadestown and extending to the sea near the Esplanade Hotel; and East—comprising Kaiwarra. The Council (1896) is composed of Messrs. Wm. Durrell (Mayor) and Councillors P. Cavanah, J. B. Mack, J. Casey, D. Hobbs, M. H. Mc/rthy, M. Fitzgerald, and J. Valentine, Mr. S. Vickers being town clerk, valuator, and returning officer. The area of the Borough is estimated at 2,870 acres, the population being 1,530, who reside in 276 dwellings. The ratepayers, of whom there are 315, own 337 valuable properties of the capital value of £147,560, a rate of fifteen-sixteenths of a penny being levied annually. The gross revenues of the Borough, including license fees, Government grant, and rates, amounted to over £1,315 on the 31st of March, 1895.