The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Mr. Thomas C. Williams
Mr. Thomas C. Williams, is one of the oldest New Zealand born settlers in the Colony. He is a son of the late Rev. Henry Williams, Archdeacon of Waimate, Bay of Islands Born at Paihia in 1825, he was educated at Waimate. Mr. Williams was brought up to country life, and for some years resided in Auckland. In 1865 he removed to Wellington, and since his arrival has been a prominent settler. He is largely interested in station properties, among which may be named the splendid Brancepeth Estate, of about 49,000 acres, and the Annedale Station, of 15,000 acres, which are both situated on the East Coast of the Wellington Provincial District; also the Lansdowne Station, near Masterton, of 2000 acres. Mr. Williams also owns town sections in Pahiatua, Eketahuna, and Masterton. At the Bay of Islands, one of his sons is experimenting in the growth of gorse as fodder for sheep, and there is every reason to hope that this troublesome plant will prove valuable to farmers in this respect. Mr. Williams lives with his family in Hobson Street, Wellington. He has declined to enter public life. Mr. Williams was married, in 1858, to a daughter of the late Mr. William Beetham, and has thirteen children—six sons and seven daughters. The older sons are engaged in farming pursuits, and the eldest daughter is married to Mr. Arthur Russell of Te Matai Station, Palmerston North.