The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Vehicular Traffic. — Including—Carriage, Coach and Tram Proprietors; Carriers and Forwarders; Express and Livery Stable Proprietors; Veterinary Surgeons
Including—Carriage, Coach and Tram Proprietors; Carriers and Forwarders; Express and Livery Stable Proprietors; Veterinary Surgeons.
Curtis, James John : Office, corner Custom house Quay and Brandon Street; stables, store and yard, Tinakori Road. Wellington. Cable address, “Curtis, Wellington.” Code ABC; Telephone 9; P.O. Box 168. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand London agents, Davies, Turner and Co., 52 Lime Street, E.C. Mr. Curtis is a native of the City of Wellington, his parents having reached Port Nicholson in the year 1840. He had to turn to work very early When a lad is thrown into the hard world at a tender age to fight life's battles, it will probably either kill him or make a man of him. The latter is exactly what happened. Instead of growing up a dependent youth clinging to his mother's apron strings, he became a manly independent young man, able to hold his own, and desirous of striking out on his own account. Thus it was good for Mr. Curtis that the necessity arose for working early in life, and to the lessons he then learned he owes much, and is ever ready to acknowledge the obligation. He has always worked hard and bent his best energies succeed in whatever he undertook, and it is no wonder that his has been a success. He founded the present extensive business in the year 1870, starting in a small way only. By careful and close attention to the littles, he soon found that he was on the right track. This discovery caused him to be more assiduous, if anything, and thus he held the position he had gained instead of relaxing his efforts when success appeared in his grasp. The business has steadily extended and developed year by year till the present time. Mr. Curtis undertakes general carrying of every description, and has every kind of vehicle for transferring both heavy and light goods from any part of the city and suburbs. He has special vans for use in removing furniture and household effects. He undetakes not only to carry in and around the city, but has complete arrangements for shipping to any part of New Zealand, as well as to any port in the civilised world. The ramifications of his business are so extensive that he has responsible agents in all towns in the Colony, and also at nearly every railway station in both Islands. It will thus be seen that Mr. Curtis is able to clear goods at any port, and transfer the same to any other part as required. In addition to the business of general carrier and forwarding agent, customhouse and shipping agent, he also undertakes commission agencies of every description. His lengthly experience are always available for his customers, no matter whether they are near or far off. Some years ago, finding his business increasing very much, he concluded that it was necessary to have more accommodation for his men and plant. He therefore purchased the present site of about three-quarters of an acre in extent in Tinakori Road. Here he has plenty of room for thirty horses, which are almost daily in full demand. Besides these, Mr. Curtis has a good many animals having a spell, from which he draws when required for active service, or to relieve others. The stock of vehicles includes eight lorries, two large furniture vans, three block drays, two small and six spring drays, three expresses, and two parce vans—in all over twenty-five in number. The expense which was necessary to keep the whole in good and safe working order he found amounted to something like £400 per annum. Believing that he could undertake to do the wheelwright and repairing work at his own yards, he erected a wheelwright's shop. Here he has since been successful, not only in completing all needful repairs, but several new vehicles have been turned out for his own use. He has also erected a blacksmith's shop at his yards, where his own horses are shod when required, thus effecting a saving of time as well as expense. In fact, his enterprise in establishing these two lines purely for the requirements of his trade has proved to be a most profitable investment of capital. At the yards Mr. Curtis has erected a cottage for the caretaker, and he has several houses for the convenience of his men, of whom he employs from twenty to twenty-five. His wages sheet absorbs over £65 per week in ordinary times, and much more when special work is on hand. He imports all the feed oats, chaff, and bran consumed at his stables direct from the southern markets. He is the proprietor of the Wellington Parcel Delivery Company, which delivers [gap — reason: illegible]all parcels at eleven, two, and five o'clock daily, in all parts of the city and suburbs, at a cheap rate It is usual for men who have had large families to complain that they have been kept down in consequence. Not so with Mr. Curtis, who declares that each addition to the family seemed but the signal for increased success in business. His sons have been most helpful in managing page 755 and conducting his large establishment. At the present time one of his sons, Mr. William Leonard Curtis, takes a general oversight of the business; and another, Mr. Arthur John Curtis, is customs and shipping clerk. In local politics, Mr. Curtis has long declined when requisitioned to take any part, as his business required all his care and attention. Now, however, that his sons are able to relieve him, and the necessity for so much hard and persevering toil does not exist, it is to be hoped that he will, at no distant date, bring his practical common sense to bear in civic matters, for the benefit of his fellow citizens.
Docherty, Hugh, Carriage Proprietor and Livery and Bait Stable Keeper, Pipitea Street, Wellington. Private residence, Brook Street. Born in Londonderry, Ireland, Mr. Docherty arrived in New Zealand per s.s. “Ionic” in 1882. He has had a general experience in the Colony in farming and other pursuits. For a time he was employed on the New Zealand Government railways, and for about eighteen months he was with Dr. Ca[unclear: hill] as coachman. Mr. Docherty has always had a liking for horses, and it is not surprising that he should have established a business which suited his tastes so thoroughly. The present business was founded in 1894, the premises consisting of a wood and iron building affording some 2000 square feet of floorspace. Mr. Docherty has two well-appointed vehicles, numbered ten and fifty-nine respectively, which are at all times available for the convenience of the public, who can depend on careful drivers. He has also ample stable accommodation for visitors from the country, who will receive every attention.
Inniss, H., and Sons (Henry Inniss, sen., Henry Inniss and George Inniss, jun.), Cab and Express Proprietors, corner of Courtenay Place and Cambridge Terrace, Wellington. Telephone 381. Mr. Henry Inniss, the founder of this firm, was born in London. Early in life he decided to follow the sea as a profession, and for twenty years Mr. Inniss voyaged over the world, seeing many strange sights, and having many exciting experiences. In the year 1875 he decided to come to New Zealand, and embarked in the good ship “Halcione,” for Wellington. After arrival in the Colony, Mr. Inniss established himself in the business of a general storekeeper, which he carried on for ten years in Wellington city. Messrs. Inniss, jun., were born in Wellington, and were brought up to the carrying business. The firm have eight horses and four traps, which include two comfortable cabs, a fine dog cart, and an express. Messrs. Inniss and Sons occupy most convenient premises at the corner of Cambridge Terrace and Courtenay Place. The buildings include a large ten-stall stable, with loft for hay, and a roomy coach-house, and all needful out-houses. Adjoining the stables is situated the office and storeroom. All these buildings have a frontage to Courtenay Place. On the Cambridge Terrace side is a comfortable dwelling house. The firm are well known as careful and steady drivers. They can be depended upon at all times; and in any weather, to keep their appointments. They have had the telephone laid on to the office and stables for the convenience of their customers and a message to No. 381 will ensure prompt attention. Mr. Inniss. sen., is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and an old Forester. He has seven children, of whom the eldest, a daughter, is married.
James, Ivor, General Carrier: office, 11 Grey Street, Wellington; stables, Howe's Lane, off Dixon Street. Telephone 80 Branch at Levin. Mr. James is a native of Marchfield, Monmouthshire, where he was brought up as a farmer. He came to the Colony per ship “Cairngoram” in 1863. After gaining general experience in New Zealand for some years he founded the present business in 1872. Mr. James has commodious premises in Howe's Lane for the purposes of his trade. He has well built stables and sheds, where he keeps the seven horses and half a dozen vehicles which are employed in his business. Mr. James occupies a convenient two-story cottage on the same site, which is his leasehold. The total area of the section used as above is 7000 square feet. The buildings are of wood and iron. Mr. James undertakes general carrying, household removing, receiving, and delivering to any part of the city and suburbs. He has a staff of competent and trustworthy men, who may at all times be depended upon. Mr. James is interested in poultry farming. He has a good piece of land at Levin, where he has a large number of fowls. At the Levin branch Mr. James's son is working up a good connection, and no doubt at an early date business will further increase. Any one requiring the services of a trusty carrier need only ring up No. 89 and make known their needs to ensure a speedy response.
Johnstone, James, Carriage Proprietor and Livery and Bait Stable Keeper, 9 Cambridge Terrace, Wellington. Telephone 670. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residence, 11 Cambridge Terrace. The well-known livery and bait stables, which have been conducted by Mr. Johnstone since 1891, were established seven years previously. The premises occupy a good position in Cambridge Terrace—the building being constructed of wood and iron, and having large accommodation for horses and vehicles. The stables are large, lofty, well ventilated, and convenient. About a dozen horses are regularly used in connection with the business, and the cabs, carriages, landaus, and buggies are in good order and condition. Mr. Johnstone is at all times in a position to supply wedding or picnic parties with suitable conveyances, and the public may rest satisfied that sober and capable drivers will be in charge—the equipment being in every respect page 756 satisfactory. Mr. Johnstone, the proprietor, was born in Belfast, Ireland. Attracted by the accounts from the Antipodes, he decided to make his home in the colonies, and in the year 1879 embarked, per ship “Northampton,” for Sydney. After some six years in the colony of New South Wales, during which he had a varied experience, Mr. Johnstone came to New Zealand, crossing the Tasman Sea per ship “Te Capa,” and landing in the South Island. For some time he turned his attention to agricultural pursuits, but was afterwards engaged the carrying trade. Subsequently Mr. Johnstone sold out of his business in the South Island, and, removing to Wellington, purchased the business which he now conducts.
Kennerley, Harry Bennett, Coach Proprietor, Livery and Bait Stablekeeper, Molesworth Street, Wellington. Telephone 361. Private residence, Molesworth Street. Mr. Kennerley was born in Cheshire, England, and came to New Zealand per ship “Zealandia,” in 1878. The spacious premises used in connection with the business are well situated, and provide ample accommodation for ordinary requirements, as well as for country customers who use the establishment for livery and bait purposes. The stables and coach house are built of wood and iron, and include seven large loose boxes and a large number of stalls, besides a good loft for storage of fodder. Mr. Kennerley has some very fine vehicles, which are kept in excellent condition, and are always ready for use on the shortest notice. His stock of buggies, cabs, landaus, and other vehicles is large, and he is noted for the excellent taste displayed. The horses kept by Mr. Kennerley are really fine animals, and he is at all times able to supply stylish carriages for wedding, picnic, or other occasions.
Smith, John, Cab Proprietor and Livery Stable Keeper, Molesworth Street, Wellington. Telephone 830. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Smith was born in Hamburg, and came to the Colonies in 1860, where he arrived in Melbourne per ship “Mary Rose.” After two years he came on to New Zealand, and during his long residence in Wellington he has been closely associated with vehicular traffic. For some time he was in the employ of Messrs Cobb and Company, whom he left to establish the present business in 1882. The large wood and from building occupied by Mr. Smith, which contains over 3000 feet of floorage space, is well adapted in every respect for the requirements of the business. Several splendid vehicles have been imported by Mr. Smith from well-known Sydney makers.
Others In The Traffic.
Astill, William Edward, Carriage Proprietor, 82 Tinakori Road.
Brown, Henry, Cab Proprietor, 172 Willis Street. Established 1893.
Cotterill, F. W., and Co., General Carriers and Custom House Agents, Queen's Chambers. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Established 1886, and conducted by present firm since 1894.
Flanagan, R. P., Cab Proprietor, Courtenay Place. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Established 1882.
Lyons, Thomas Patrick, Cab Proprietor and Livery Stable Keeper, Molesworth Street. Established 1890.
Moloney, Patrick, Carriage Proprietor, Willis Street.
Somerville, Mrs. Elizabeth, Livery Stable Keeper, Abel Smith Street. Established 1868.
The Colonial Carrying Co. of New Zealand, Carriers, Customs and Forwarding Agents (J. B. Griffen, Manager), Featherston Street.
Wellington City Tramways (Archibald Hall, Proprietor), 58 Adelaide Road.
Wellington Co-operative 'Bus Company (Alfred Crossey, Manager), Riddiford Street.