The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
The Meat Trade. — Including — Bone Millers, Butchers, Fishmongers and Curers, Glue and Tallow Manufacturers, Ham and Bacon Carers, Meat Freezing and Preserving Companies, Oyster Fisheries Associations, Poulterers, Refiners, Etc
The Meat Trade.
Including — Bone Millers, Butchers, Fishmongers and Curers, Glue and Tallow Manufacturers, Ham and Bacon Carers, Meat Freezing and Preserving Companies, Oyster Fisheries Associations, Poulterers, Refiners, Etc.
Atkinson John (trading as the Sunbeam Meat Company), Butcher, 36 Cuba Street, Wellington. Telephone 876. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This progressive business was established early in 1896 as above, the premises being central, and containing about 700 square feet of floorage space. Mr. Atkinson, who was born in Victoria in 1857, served his apprenticeship in Warrnambool, and came to Wellington in 1877. On arrival he obtained employment with Mr. Gear, and continued in that gentleman's service till the formation of the Gear Meat Company. In 1884 he became manager of the Cuba Street shop, which position he held till establishing the present business. Mr. Atkinson has a wide circle of business acquaintances, and there can be no doubt as to his success.
Barber and Co. (Henry Barber), Butchers, Lambton Quay, Wellington. This is one of the oldest butchery businesses in the city, having been established by Mr. E. Wilton in 1840. It was taken over by the present proprietor in 1889. The firm are contractors to the Admiralty, and to the Shaw, Savill and Albion Shipping Company. The present shop, which is claimed to be the largest in the city, was erected in 1886, in place of one destroyed by fire. The firm employs about nine hands, and has a large business connection.
Cate, James, Family Butcher, Willis Street, Wellington. Private residence, Wordsworth Street. This successful business, which was established by Mr. Cate in the beginning of November, 1895, is now carried on in his name, Mr. John Hume however, having joined the firm during the first month of its existence. The business, although in its primitive stages of prominence, has assumed the dimensions of many a larger establishment. The proprietors have male arrangements for a daily meat supply, which ensures their customers getting nothing but prime, fresh meat. The premises have floorage capacity to the extent of 400 square feet. Mr. Cate was born in Nelson, in 1857, and received his education in that township, at the public schools. He is a member of the Wellington Working Men's Club. Mr. Hume, who was born at the Lower Hutt, Wellington, in 1847, has resided in the Colony from that time up to the present.
The City Meat Company, General and Family Butchers, 41 Courtenay Place. Telephone 687. Established in 1889. Mr. Hugh McArtney, the present proprietor, has carried on the business since 1892. The premises, built of concrete and brick, consist of two stories with a spacious cellar, which is specially fitted for cooling and salting meat. In connection with the business Mr. McArtney employs four hands, and pays out about £48 per month in wages. A son of the late Mr. John McArtney of Nelson—one of the oldest colonists—his popularity and knowledge of the trade render his success only a matter of time.
Dimock and Co. (William and Victor Dimock), Ham and Bacon Curers and Ice Manufacturers, Waterloo Quay, Wellington. Telephone 297. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. This business was established by Mr. Hugh Wilson in 1889, an I has been successfully conducted by the present firm for several years past. Messrs. Dimock and Co. have refrigerating chambers worked by a Linde freezing machine. They are thus enabled to cure right through the summer season. About nine hands are employed, and often as many as one hundred and fifty pigs are cured during a single week.
Fernandos, Nicholas, Fishmerchant and Curer, 161 Lambton Quay, Wellington. Telephone 105. Bankers, Colonial Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Fernandos is a native of the Island of Ithaca, Greece, and worked his passage as a sailor to Melbourne in the ship “Douglass” in 1873. The year following he arrived in Wellington, and for three years worked on the West Coast goldfields. In 1877 he settled in Wellington, and commenced the above business, which has been conducted in the premises he now occupies for over eight years. His trade has now reached very large proportions; six hands are employed in the shop and curing-house, in addition to between thirty and forty men who are engaged in fishing on the coast. Mr. Fernandos, in his efforts to supply the large and growing demand for fresh and cured fish, has built a steam trawler of considerable size, named the “Ithaca,” after his native place. This vessel is fitted up with every improvement in the way of machinery, etc. She requires four men to work her, and the result page 704 has been satisfactory to her enterprising owner. A constant supply of fresh fish is always available at Mr. Fernandos' central establishment. Medals and certificates of merit have been gained by him at the various exhibitions at which he has competed. In 1885, at the local exhibition, in the following year in the Colonial and Industrial, at Melbourne in 1888, and at Paris in 1889, Mr. Fernandos secured certificates and medals for preserved whitebait, lobster, etc. The premises, which are commodious, are kept thoroughly clean. The floorage space is about 4000 square feet, including the curing and smoke-house, which is situated behind the shops. Mr. Fernandos' trade extends far and wide. In addition to supplying leading hotels, clubs, and families in and around Wellington, he holds the present contracts for supplying the Union Steamship Co., New Zealand Shipping Co., Shaw, Savill and Albion Co., and Huddart, Parker and Co.
Garbes, Peter, Fish Dealer, 63 Cuba Street, Wellington. The proprietor, who is a native of Greece, arrived in New Zealand in 1865 per ship “Collaroon,” from London. He worked at various occupations, and saw active service during the Maori War. In 1873 Mr. Garbes opened the present premises, and has since then cultivated a sound and steady business. The building is of brick and is two stories high, and in the front shop a nice display of fresh and smoked fish is always to be seen. The prices charged are reasonable, and this accounts for the large quantity of fish. oysters, etc. which Mr. Garbes gets through in the year. Three hands are constantly employed in the preserving and curing of fish, which is sent to all parts of New Zealand.
Garrett and Co. (William John Garrett), General and Shipping Butchers, Molesworth Street, Wellington. Telephone 409. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. This business, which was established in 1861 by Messrs. J. and H. Barbar, has been conducted by Mr. Garrett since 1881. The premises extend from Molesworth Street right through to John Street, an I consist of a two-story wooden building. The motive power is supplied by a three-horse water motor. In addition to this establishment, Mr. Garrett has a slaughter-house and yards at Ngahauranga, employing in all seven hands, and disbursing £56 per month in wages. Mr. Garrett was born in London in 1851, and was educated at the City of London School, Milk Street, Cheapside. He arrived in New Zealand in the good ship “Zealandia” in 1874. He is materially assisted in the business by his brother.
The Gear Meat Preserving and Freezing Company of New Zealand, Limited. Directors, Messrs. James Gear (chairman), D. Anderson, J. R. Blair, H. Beauchamp, H. D. Bell, M.H.R., N. Reid, and Dr. A. K. Newman, M.H.R. General manager, Mr. W. H. Millward. Head office, Lambton Quay, Wellington. Telephone 116; P.O. Box 164. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Retail shops, Lambton Quay, Cuba and Taranaki Streets, and Adelaide Road, Wellington; and at Jackson Street, Petone. This successful Company, whose works are described under the heading “Petone,” was incorporated in 1882. The capital is £100,000 in 10,000 shares of £10 each, the whole of the shares being allotted. The full sum of £10 is paid up in respect of 1000 shares, and £4 per share on the remaining 9000 shares, making £46,000 actually paid up. The Company claims that the business was originally established as long ago as the year 1840. The Gear Company has steadily paid dividends since its incorporation—at the rate of ten per cent. on its capital—besides accumulating a reserve fund of £15,000 and an insurance reserve of over £10,000. The value of the Company's freehold and leasehold properties, with the working plant and machinery, is nearly £65,000. The Company has earned the reputation of being one of the most successful colonial undertakings of the kind.
Holloway, Edwin George, Butcher, 52 Tory Street (corner of Vivian Street) Wellington. This business was originally established about 1875, by the Wellington Meat Company. It was subsequently taken over by the Happy Valley Meat Company, and Mr. Holloway managed for that firm for about three years, taking the business over on his own account in May, 1895. He does a large trade on strictly cash principles. He has an extensive small goods manufacturing department, which is under the supervision of Mr. Henry Granger, who has had a practical experience in that line of over 35 years. All the goods are made from the best materials the markets afford. Mr. Holloway is a native of Hampshire, an I learned his trade with his father. He was foreman for several large butchering firms in London for some years, and has had a large experience in every branch of his trade. He came to the colonies, and was in Sydney and in Melbourne. After arrival in Wellington, he entered the service of the Gear Meat Company, in whose employ he cut meat in the London style for the first shipment of frozen meat to London.
Hurcomb, Wm. and Son, Wholesale and Retail Fish and Poultry Dealers, 78 Cuba Street, Wellington. Established 1891. The premises occupied are centrally situated, contain about 400 square feet of floorage space, and are two stories high.
Nelson Bros., Limited, Meat Freezers and Exporters. Directors, Messrs. E. M. Nelson (chairman), F. Nelson, Abraham Scott, William Taylor, J. W. Margetts. Head office, 15 Dowgate Hill, London, E.C. Chief office and works in New Zealand, Tomoans, Hawkes Bay. Secretary, Mr. H. G. Warren. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Wellington office, Messrs. Levin and Co., Grey Street. Representative in Wellington, Mr. F. W. Rutherfurd, Aurora Terrace. Telephone 852. This large colonial Company will be more fully described in the volume for Hawkes Bay and Taranaki, under the heading “Tomoana”
New Zealand Native Oyster Fisheries Company, Limited. Directors, Messrs. G. H. Baylis (Chairman), E. H. Beere, C.E. (Managing Director), F. A. Death, J.P., and T.W. Young, J.P. Secretary, Mr. E. H. Beere. Solicitors, Messrs. Menteath and Beere. Auditor, Mr. W. McLean. Manager of beds. Mr. J. L. Harvey. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Office, 6 Lambton Quay, Wellington. This Company, which was incorporated in February, 1894, has a capital of £3000, in 300 shares of £10 each, of which 120 are allotted and fully paid up. The oyster farm is situate in Porirua Harbour, and extends to 412 acres; it is well sheltered, and naturally adapted for oyeter culture. This has been fenced in so as to protect the young oysters, and it is confidently expected that the operations of the Company will prove very profitable.
Palmer, Harry John, Wholesale and Retail Oyster Dealer, 139 Lambton Quay, Wellington. Telephone, 20. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. This extensive business which was established by Mr. A. Cole, was taken over by Mr. Palmer, in March, 1895. The oysters supplied are warranted of first-rate quality. In the season, there is a constant supply from the most noted beds, and a sumptuous repast may be enjoyed at any page 705 hour of the day. The premises, which are two stones high, have floorage capacity of about 450 square feet. Mr. Palmer was born in New Zealand. but visited Melbourne, where he gained some valuable experience in catering. This establishment is patronized by His Excellency the Governor.
Smith and Kirkland (Samuel Smith and Edward Kirkland), Butchers, 167 Cuba Street, Wellington. Telephone 414. This business was established in 1889, by Mr. George Cotton, who conducted a steady trade till 1896, when the present partners took possession. Messrs. Smith and Kirkland were brought up to the business, the latter gaining his earlier experience in Otago, and the former in Petone, where he served with Mr. James Gear. The partners are well-known to the public in connection with the Happy Valley Meat Company, in whose employ they became sufficiently acquainted to warrant the present alliance. Both take an active part in the management of the business, and the public may rest satisfied that the best meat will be supplied at the lowest possible cost.
Wellington Meat Export Company, Limited. Directors: W. Booth (chairman), W. C. Buchanan, M.H.R., C. Elgar, J. W. Marshall, and W. G. Foster; secretary, Dilnot Sladden. Meat Preservers, Freezers, and Exporters, Tallow Oleo, Manure and Oil Manufacturers. Office, Waterloo Quay, Wellington; Works, Ngahauranga. Telephone: Office, No. 175; Works, 390. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. The history of this company may be said to have commenced with a public meeting convened at Carterton on June 2nd, 1881, by Mr. W. C. Buchanan, as president of the Wairarapa Pastoral Society, at which it was resolved “That a committee be appointed, to act in conjunction with the West Coast and Wellington residents, for the purpose of arranging at the earliest possible date for the shipment of frozen meat and dairy produce to England.” As a result of this, the prospectus of the Wellington Meat Export Company was issued on July 8th of the same year, and the first meeting of directors was held in Wellington on September 6th, the chair being taken by Mr. Buchanan, who continued to occupy that post during the next twelve years, with the exception of two short intervals when he was absent from the Colony. At this time the problem of sending meat to England in a frozen state was only partially solved, and owing to various doubts and difficulties, it was not until December, 1882, that the erection of works was decided upon, the site selected being that now occupied by the company's works upon Waterloo Quay. Early in April, 1883, a shipment of 5794 sheep and 352 quarters of beef was frozen for the company upon the ship “Lady Jocelyn,” and shipped to England by that vessel. The freezing works were completed by August 29th, 1883, when the second annual meeting of the company was held, and freezing operations were commenced shortly after. Owing to various difficulties almost inseparable from the initiation of a new industry, the operations of the company were of a very limited extent until, at the annual meeting in 1886, the directors were able to announce that they had frozen 25,000 sheep during the year, and engagements had been made for the freezing of nearly 50,000 sheep in the coming season. In April, 1887, a contract was let to extend the buildings, and a new Haslam machine was added, bringing the freezing capacity of the works up to 800 sheep per diem. In 1889, the works being unequal to the demands made upon the company for freezing, further extensions were decided upon and carried out in time for the succeeding summer's work, the freezing capacity of the works being increased to 700 sheep and fifty cattle, or equal to 1300 sheep per diem. In October of the same year, the Wellington Meat Preserving Company, which had hitherto slaughtered for the Meat Export Company, was amalgamated with the latter company, thus concentrating the whole of the business under one management. In 1891, the operations of the company having steadily increased, the slaughterhouses and boiling-down works erected by the Wellington Meat Preserving Company at Ngahauranga were found inadequate, while the freezing works at Waterloo Quay, notwithstanding the extensions in 1889, were insufficient to cope with the demands made upon the company for freezing. It was therefore decided to erect at Ngahauranga extensive new slaughterhouses, boiling-down and manure works, as well as new freezing and chilling works. These extensions were completed early in 1892, and they enable the company to slaughter and deal with the offal of 2000 sheep and 70 cattle per diem, while the total capacity of the freezing works at Waterloo Quay and Ngahauranga is upwards of 2000 sheep per diem. When working at full swing about 120 people are employed at the two establishments at Ngahauranga and Waterloo Quay. The manure works utilise the whole of the offal of every description from the animals slaughtered, including the blood, so that nothing whatever is thrown away. By this means not only is considerable saving effected, but the inconvenience and offensiveness of removing large quantities of animal matter is avoided, and nothing of a solid nature is thrown into the harbour. The offices and works in Waterloo Quay comprise buildings of brick and wood of two and three stories in height, erected on land held under lease from the Government. The floorage space afforded is about 20,000 square feet. There are four of Haslem's compound refrigerating steam engines, totalling from five to six hundred horse-power. The works at Ngahauranga cover several acres, the engines used aggregating about 200 horse-power. The company export most of the meat they freeze, a small quantity being sold to local butchers. They are importers of calico to the extent of from £2000 to £3000 per annum. In 1894 the company put through about a quarter-of-a-million sheep, of which 200,000 were shipped. In January and February of 1895, 79,419 sheep and lambs, and 30,000 packages, equal to 800 tons, of butter, were exported. The works are equal to the task of freezing 2500 sheep per day, the cold storage being equal to 45,000 sheep.
Wilton, Arthur Benjamin, Butcher, Riddiford Street, Wellington. This business was established in 1876, and has been conducted by the present proprietor since 1893. The two-story premises are large and well situated, having a frontage of about 60 feet. The usual variety of small goods is made, the most modern machinery, driven by a water-motor, being used. These productions are in good demand in the neighbourhood. Mr. Wilton was born in New Zealand, and was apprenticed to Messrs J. and H. Barber, of Wellington, completing his indentures in 1873.
Wilton, Edward William, General and Family Butcher, 100 Cuba Street, Wellington. This butchering establishment was originally founded by Mr. Wilton, senior, the father of the present proprietor, who arrived in this Colony fifty-two years ago, and who started the business in 1877. Mr. Edward Wilton, after completing an apprenticeship in his father's business, where he obtained a thorough knowledge of the trade and experience of the meat market generally, managed the wholesale butchering establishment of Messrs. J. and H. Barber for some years, and later filled a similar post in the employ of the Wellington Meat Preserving and Export Company. He established himself finally in 1888 in the present premises at the corner of Cuba and Ingestre Streets. The building is constructed of wood and iron, and contains a floor space of about 6000 square feet. Mr. Wilton's trade extends over the city and suburbs, and he enjoys the custom of a not page 706 inconsiderable part of the Wellington public, which is mainly due to the proprietor's continuous efforts to sell his goods at the most reasonable prices, not, however, affecting the high quality of articles. Mr. Wilton maintains that if a trial is given to his-shop, he will endeavour to serve his customers in a manner that will ensure their return. He finds a ready sale for his meat, and assures all buyers that no other but the freshest and primest meat is sold from his block.
Wilton, G. R., Family Butcher, Adelaide Road, Wellington. Mr. George Robert Wilton is a native of Wellington, and served an apprenticeship to the butchering trade with Messrs. J. and H. Barber, with whom he was employed as a journeyman till 1879, when he started in business in the present premises. By care and attention to business Mr. Wilton has cultivated a good local trade, and makes a specialty of beef and mutton sausages. These goods are in great demand, and are produced by a sausage machine specially constructed by Messrs. Berry and Co., of Christchurch. The premises are of wood and iron, two stories in height, and cover a space of some 5000 square feet. Trams and buses pass the premises frequently during the day. A general cleanliness and business-like air are noticeable features of this establishment.
Others In The Meat Trade.
Andrews, George, Fishmonger, 94 Cuba Street. Established 1882.
Astill, John, Butcher, 144 Tinakori Road.
Banks, Alfred, Butcher, 42 Majoribanks Street.
Benge, Richard Douglas, Butcher, 19 Aro Street. Established 1891.
Burns, A., Pork Butcher, Taranaki Street.
Duncan, Andrew, Butcher, Nelson Street.
Gibson, John W., Pork Butcher, 65A Cuba Street.
Gilbert, F., Butcher, Taranaki Street.
Heinold, Charles, Pork Butcher, 76 Tory Street.
Kuch, J. F. and Co. (John Frederick Kuch), Pork Butchers, 37A Cuba Street and 167 Lambton Quay.
Littlewood, Herbert Priest, Fishmonger, 39 Courtenay Place.
Luxford, Charles Edward, Butcher, Riddiford Street.
Martin, Frederick, Pork Butcher, 59 Willis Street. Established 1882.
Montague, Thos. Young, Butcher, 57 Adelaide Road.
Philips, James Hugh, Poultry Dealer, Manners Street.
Philp, Sparks, Butcher, 89 Cuba Street. Private residence, Owen Street.
Rigarlsford, Moses, Butcher, Molesworth Street. Established 1887.
Rigarlsford, George, jun., Butcher, Molesworth Street.
Riggs, Alfred, Fishmonger, 70 Willis Street. Established 1895.
Rod Bros. (John Rod and James Rod), Butchers 51 Courtenay Place.
Ryland, Claude E., Butcher, Riddiford Street. Bankers, Bank of Australasia.
Skene, Allan, Pork Butcher, Riddiford Street.
Smith, Reuben, Butcher, 81 Tory Street.
Swiney, Charles, Butcher, 128 Adelaide Road.
Wilton, James Henry, Butcher, 180 Adelaide Road.