Cable, W. and Co.
(William Cable), Iron and Brass Founders, Engineers and Boiler Makers, Lion Foundry, Waterloo Quay, Wellington. Cable and telegraphic address, “Cable, Wellington.” Code, A.B.C. Telephone, 177; P.O. Box 286. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residence, Levy Street. Private telephone, 720. The Lion Foundry was established by Mr. E. W. Mills in 1854 in Aurora Terrace, and removed to Waring Taylor Street and Custom House Quay about 1872. The present proprietor was born in Forfarshire, Scotland, and was apprenticed to his traderear Kirkealdio in Fifeshire from 1862 to 1867. Mr. Cable came out to New Zealand per ship “Otago” in 1869, and, landing at Port Chalmers, for several years thereafter he worked at his trade as a journeyman in Dunedia. Mr. Cable had further experience for about two-and-a-half years as an engineer on board several of the “Union Company's steamers, and in 1878 came to Wellington, having accepted the position of manager of the Lion Foundry. For about three years he filled this responsable position with conspicuous ability, which was recognized by his being offered a partnership in the concern. For a further period Mr. Cable managed the foundry as managing partner in the firm of Mills and Cable. In the year 1883 the senior partner, Mr. E. W. Mills, retired from the business, which was then assumed by Mr. Cable, and has been conducted by him since that time under the style of W. Cable and Co. After a few years it became evident that the old premises in Waring Taylor Street were much too small for the requirements of the trade. Mr. Cable therefore determined to erect suitable accommodation. Having acquired from the Government a large leasehold section in Waterloo Quay, in close proximity to the railway wharf, he designed the fine building in which the large works of the firm are now conducted. The new foundry, which is built of brick, was completed about five years ago by the well-known contractors, Messrs. Barry and McDowall, the total floorage space being about 16,000 square feet. The foundry has five departments, viz :—pattern making, moulding, blacksmithing, turning and fitting, and boiler-making. The machinery is driven by compound condensing horizontal steam engines of fifty-horse-power, which were manufactured at the works. There are between twenty and thirty large machines used at this extensive establishment. About a dozen are lathes, the largest of which will turn up to twenty-seven feet in length, and up to 14 feet in diameter. There are several planing machines, one being a very large one which is capable of planing a piece of machinery twelve feet in length by five feet square. Two large steam hammers and two steam punching machines, one large double-geared set of boilermakers rolls, and ten forges are in use. One very fine over-head travelling crane equal to lifting twenty-five tons is in use in the foundry, and is said to
Interior View of Messrs. Cable and Co's “Lion Foundry.”
be the only one of its kind in the Colony. The works are up-to-date in every respect, being fully equipped with all the latest and most approved plant. A large staff of competent workmen are employed in connection with the works, varying in number according to contracts in hand from fifty to 200. Messrs. Cable and Co. make a specialty of repairs to the large ocean-going and small coastal steamers trading to the port of Wellington and the Colony generally. They have executed extensive repairs to the machinery of several of the direct London steamers, as well as to the hulls, boilers and machinery of many other vessels. The firm are able to execute any repairs that may reasonably be expected, and it is worthy of special mention that they have four sets of gear with which they can bore the cylinders of marine engines in position up to eighty inches in diameter. Messrs. Cable and Co. have turned out a great many marine engines and boilers, among which may be noted those of the s.s. “Manawatu,” of 240 horse-power, and those of the s.s. “Manakau,” of 185 horse-power. In marine boilers the firm made two of twelve feet diameter for the Government steamer “Hinemoa,” steaming for engines of 1200 horse-power. They also supplied the s.s. “Queen of the South” with boilers nine feet six inches in diameter, supplying engines of 240 horse-power. The Lion Foundry is also noted for having completed numerous engines, boilers, and machinery for various eolonial industries, also several small steamers. The engines and boilers of the Wellington Woollen Company, Petone, 230 horse-power, were made and fitted, together with the shafting, by Messrs. Cable and Co. Most of the boilers in the Freezing Works in the North Island were made at this establishment: one for the Auckland company, two at Longburn, two at the North British Works, Napier, three for the Wellington Meat Export Company, and one for the Gear Company; the average size of these boilers being thirty feet long by seven feet in diameter. They were all made of the best mild steel, and average from 100 to 120lbs of working pressure. Recently
Mr. W. Cable.
they have made a specialty of manure manufacturing machinery whereby the whole of the by-products from the slaughter yard are converted into a marketable article in a most efficient and economical manner. They have already supplied four complete plants to the leading freezing works in New Zealand and one to New South Wales. The firm have also supplied compound condensing horizontal engines for the Government Printing Office, Wellington; the Wellington Meat Export Company, Ngahauranga; the Canterbury Frozen Meat Company, Belfast; and the Young Frozen Meat Company of New South Wales. Messrs. Cable and Co. have also manufactured horizontal, high pressure, quick speed engines for electric light and other purposes, for the Gear Company, the Wellington Meat Export Company, Nelson Bros., Tomoana, the Parliamentary Buildings, Mr. James Donald's. Dairy, Featherston, and the Ballance Creamery, They also supplied the engines and boilers in use at the Porirua Asylum and at the flax mills of Messrs. Pascal Bros, at Oroua Bridge. During the rush caused by the high prices which were obtainable for New Zealand flax (phormium tenax)
, Messrs. Cable and Co. made over 100 flaxdressing machines and several dozen sets of machinery for flax mills. The Lion Foundry has produced a good deal of iron work for large works, including heavy girders for building and for bridge work, two spans for the Porirua Bridge on the Wellington-Manawatu “Railway line having been turned out by the firm. The chimes for the Wellington and Invercargill Post Office clocks, which have been so much admired, were made at this establishment. The firm are sole agents in New Zealand for Fynkara Bailer Fluid for preventing carrosion in boilers, and also agents for Ganz and Co. roller flour mills and electrical machinery, Otis dnplex pumps and Hydraulic Lifts. The engraving herein will give some idea of the interior of these large engineering works. Mr. Cable, the enterprising proprietor, whose portrait is given herewith, was one of the Commissioners of the last International Exhibitions held respectively in Wellington and Melbourne.