The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Hotels, Boardinghouses, Restaurants, Etc. — Including—Hotels; Boardinghouses, Luncheon Rooms, Private] Hotels, Refreshment Rooms, and Restaurants
Hotels, Boardinghouses, Restaurants, Etc.
Including—Hotels; Boardinghouses, Luncheon Rooms, Private] Hotels, Refreshment Rooms, and Restaurants.
Albert (Old Identities) Hotel (David J. Kenny, proprietor), Corner of Willis and Boulcott Streets (opposite Manners Street), Wellington. Telegraphic address, “Albert, Wellington.” Telephone 214. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. The Albert, better known as the Old Identities Hotel, was built about the year 1880 by the freeholder Mr. John Plimmer. It occupies a fine corner section, and is of two and three stories in height. There is a wide balcony, which is approached from the billiard and other rooms on the first floor. There are nearly fifty rooms in this fine hotel, of which about ten are parlours, five being situated upstairs. This hotel may be approached by the handsome and convenient private entrance from Boulcott Street. The billiard-room occupies a prominent position, and from the windows a full view of Manners and Willis Streets, two of the busiest streets in the Empire City, is obtainable. The enterprising proprietor has had the tables (two in number), both by Allcock, entirely renovated and re-covered. This room is adorned by paintings of a large number of the old identities of Wellington, and foremost among these is a full life size picture of Mr. E. G. Wakefield, which is said to have cost 150 guineas. There is a good deal of carving about the hotel, at the arch of most of the windows heads have been carved intended to represent old identities. Mr. Kenny, the popular host of this large hotel, was born in Limerick, in the South of Ireland, and came out to the colonies in 1862; attracted by the goldfields. He was for about four years altogether in Ballarat, and other parts of Australia, and came over to the West Coast goldfields in 1866. For about eight years Mr. Kenny resided in Westland, and in 1875 accepted a position in the Lyttelton Gaol as warder, remaining till 1890, when he took the leading hotel in Kaikoura. Having to leave the latter place owing to Mrs. Kenny's health, he had the Albion Hotel in Lyttelton for three years, and left the South Island to take the Albert in Wellington.
Britannia Hotel (Robert Reid, Proprietor), Willis Street, Wellington. This hotel was established about 1865; the present landlord took possession in May, 1895. It is a wooden building of two stories, and contains good dining room, bar, and four parlours, on the ground floor. Upstairs there are fourteen bedrooms and two sitting rooms. Mr. Reid, the proprietor, was born in Somersetshire, England. He is well-known in Wellington as the late manager of the Working Men's Club, a position which he held for nine years. The members are indebted to him for the successful management of that institution; during his term of office the membership increased from one hundred to eight hundred. [Since this article was set up the hotel has been completely gutted by fire. The house is to be re-erected in brick as a three-story building, which is to contain large accommodation for the public].
Caledonian Hotel (A. I. Masters, proprietor), corner of Adelaide Road and Sussex Square. Wellington. Telephone 774. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. This well-knw n hostelry was built in 1875, and was for a time conducted by Mr Richards, then the owner. Several landlords have had possessior since that gentleman handed over the house to his successor. The last licensee was Mr. A. H. Bennie, who transferred his interests to the present occupant—Mr. A. I. Masters—who is referred to on page 409 as Secretary of the Central Club, which position he vacated in February, 1896, to take over this old established house. The Caledonian Hotel, of which an engraving appears herein, is a two-storied building of wood and iron, with verandah and balcony on two sides. On the ground floor, in addition to the bar, there is a large and well-furnished dining-room, capable of accommodating fifty persons; three comfortable sitting rooms; a large, well-lighted billiard-room, containing a Burroughs and Watts' table; kitchen, and other conveniences. On the first floor, there are ten good bedrooms, a private sitting-room for ladies and families, bathroom, and lavatories. Mr. Masters, the popular host, is well-known to the public as a genial and kindly man, and under his care the Caledonian will be well conducted, and the requirements of travellers will be well supplied.
Cambridge Hotel (John Pyke, Proprietor), Cambridge Terrace, Wellington. This hotel is situated in a very pleasant part, and from the balconies an excellent view of the harbour and city may be obtained. On the ground floor are the public and private bars, three private sitting rooms, dining room, billiard room, kitchen and scullery. Upstairs there are nine bedrooms and two sitting rooms, and lavatories with hot and cold water laid on. The domestic part of the house is under the supervision of Mrs. Pyke, and the greatest care is taken to insure the comfort of boarders, the tariff being only 25s. per week. Attached to the hotel are commodious stables, where all sorts of conveyances and horses may be obtained. Mr. Pyke, who entered into possession in January, 1896, has had considerable experience in the business. Born in Somersetshire, England, in 1855, he came to New Zealand, by the ship “Clarence,” in 1873. As a sportsman, he is a good shot, and has won several trophies.
City Buffet (Arthur R. V. Lodder, Proprietor), Lambton Quay, Wellington. This well-known hostelry occupies a central position in Lambton Quay. It is a three-story brick structure, containing large accommodation for boarders and visitors. For some years it was conducted by Mr. John Orr, together with the present proprietor, under the style of Oir and Lodder. Mr. Orr has recently retired from the firm.
Club Hotel (Robert Darroch, Proprietor), Lambton Quay, Wellington. Telegraphic address: “Club, Wellington.” Telephone 71; P.O. Box 257. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. This fine hostelry was established about the year 1877, and was in the early part of 1895 taken over by the present proprietor. It is a splendid structure of three stories, having large frontages to Lambton Quay and Johnston Street. The hotel is conveniently situated, being but two minutes' walk from the Post Office, about the same distance from the Law Courts, and but little further from the Government page 662 Buildings. Even the parliamentary grounds or the Government railway station may be reached in five minutes, and the Botanical Gardens or Thorndon Esplanade in ten. It is within a stone's throw of the Wellington Club on the Terrace, and trams and 'buses pass the door. On entering the hotel by the main door on Lambton Quay, the spacious and well lighted dining-room is on the left hand side. This is indeed a fine room—magnificently furnished—the handsome mirror sideboard immediately opposite the door being very striking. The long dining table, with several smaller ones surrounding it, accommodates with ease from eighty to ninety guests. The “Club” has for many years been noted for the excellence of its bill-of-fare, and most certainly it has suffered no detrimental change in this respect since becoming the property of Mr. Darroch. At the Johnston Street frontage there is a second vestibule, at the right hand of which there is a very large smoking and commercial-room, most comfortably furnished with lounges, easy chairs, etc. This room opens into the billiard-room, which contains a fine table made by Messrs. Wright, Ranish and Co., of Wellington. The other portion of the ground floor, situated at the corner of Johnston Street and Lambton Quay is occupied by-the bar, small sitting-rooms, and office. A splendid staircase leads to the upper portion of the house, the landing, in keeping with the rest of the establishment, being wide and lofty, and ornamented with interesting pictures. There are three private suites of apartments each supplied with a piano. The large, comfortably furnished bedrooms are lofty and well lighted and ventilated. The first and second floors of the house are under the direct supervision of Mrs. Darroch, who is most assiduous in her attention to the wants of travellers and visitors. The cab stands are sufficiently distant and yet within sight. The hotel has been patronized by many of the most distinguished visitors to the Empire City, among whom may be mentioned Sir Francis and Lady Boileau and family, Mr. Thomas Salt, M.P. for Stafford, England, well known in connection with the Midland Railway Company, and also Mr. and Mrs. Birchell, General Sir Mark and Lady Walker, and the Hon. Mr. McIntyre (of Victoria). It has, in fact, been looked upon as the ministerial and parliamentary hostelry, which is but natural, owing to the large number of politicians who at various times have taken up their abode at the “Club” The proprietor, Mr. Darroch, is a most genial host, and hails trom Scotland, where he was born in 1850. He came to New Zealand in 1873, and for twenty years was in business in South Canterbury.
Empire Hotel (Hamilton Gilmer, Proprietor), James Stevenson, Manager; Willis and Victoria Streets, Wellington. Telephone 186; P.O. Box 256. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. This well-known hostelry, reputed to be one of the best commercial houses in the Colony, was established over forty years ago. The present proprietor, whose name is familiar as a landlord, owns the freehold of this fine property, which extends right through from page 663 Willis Street to Victoria Street, and has conducted the business since 1886. The Empire Hotel is a large two-story building, possessing two balconies, that to the front commanding busy Willis Street, and the one at the back affording views of the shipping and harbour of Port Nicholson. The hotel has a spacious private entrance for ladies and families, quite separate from the bar and communicating with the residential part of the house by a graceful staircase. The house is well known for its excellent accommodation for ladies, including as it does a fine sitting-room besides three suites of rooms which are all well and elegantly furnished. As a commercial house the “Empire” possesses splendid conveniences, a very large commercial-room and a good reading-room being situated on the first floor, while ten good sample-rooms are on the ground floor. For the convenience of travellers and others arriving late, a night porter, who also does duty as watchman, is in attendance. The dining-room is a spacious apartment—noted for its comfort—capable of seating one hundred guests at the same time. Mr. Gilmer employs a first class chef de cuisine, and there is no wonder that the table d'hote is well patronised by city men. The Empire Hotel is centrally situated in one of the busiest thoroughfares of the City, and is not far from the Post Office, banks, and shipping.
Foresters' Arms Hotel (Herbert Walter Worger, proprietor), Ghuznee Street, Wellington. This hotel is one of the oldest established in the city, and has only recently been taken over by Mr. Worger. The building, which contains three sitting rooms, besides dining and commercial rooms, has been re-furnished quite recently, and everything has been done to make the hotel a popular resort. There is a spacious room on the ground floor adapted for meetings.
Imperial Hotel (James Crawford, Proprietor), Cuba Street, Wellington. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This hostelry was established in 1870, and has been conducted by Mr. Crawford since 1890. It is a two story wooden building, having twelve bedrooms upstairs, there being three good sitting-rooms as well as the dining-room and bar on the ground floor. Mr. Crawford has had experience in the trade at Opunake and the Hutt. He is the inventor and patentee of a “starting machine,” which is described under the heading “Wellington Racing Club.”
Moeller's Occidental Hotel (Mrs. Moeller, Proprietress), corner Lambton Quay and Johnston Street, Wellington. Telephone 91; P.O. Box 257. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Telegraphic address, “Occidental,” Wellington. This well-known hotel was founded about the year 1875, by the late Mr. Moeller, who had previously carried on the Empire Hotel for some years. Mr. Moeller died in 1886, and since that time, the house has been conducted by his widow, the present proprietress. The Occidental Hotel—so well-known as a leading commercial house—is a fourstory building, chiefly of brick. It contains, in all, about sixty-five rooms, of which fifty are bedrooms, all well and comfortably furnished in every respect. The large dining-room, commercial, smoking, reading, and writing rooms, together with the bar, are situated on the ground floor, and are elegantly appointed. On the first flat there is a remarkably fine drawing-room, devoted chiefly to the use of ladies and families. The wants of commercial men are met by the eight fine sample-rooms which are attached to this popular house. Mrs. Moeller herself personally conducts the establishment, assisted by a competent manager.
Oriental Hotel (Mrs. Ormsbee, proprietress), Willis Street, Wellington. Telegraphic address, “Oriental, Wellington.” The Oriental Hotel, which was originally known as the Melbourne,” was established nearly twenty years ago. It is a large iron building, three stories in height and contains fifty rooms, of which at least some forty-two are bedrooms. Of the four large sitting-rooms, two are devoted to the use of ladies. The dining-room is on the ground floor, and is a really pretty apartment, splendidly lighted on three sides. Two large tables are placed down the middle of the room, and eight smaller ones ranged along the sides, the seating accommodation being sufficient for sixty-five persons. The Oriental Hotel has, under Mrs. Ormsbee's management, become noted for its excellent luncheon provided from 12 to 2 p.m. daily, at a cost of 1s. per head. More than 100 persona take advantage of this specialty every day. The accommodation for boarders and visitors may be characterised as perfect; and in nearly all the numerous bedrooms, which are all comfortably furnished, rich draperies are conspicuous. Night and day porters are kept alternately on duty. There are two bath-rooms with hot and cold water supplied, and in addition to the rooms in the hotel, Mrs. Ormsbee has a comfortable cottage situated in Dixon Street, where there are five bedrooms. The proprietress of the “Oriental” is well known in Wellington. She has had thirty years' experience in hotel-keeping, and was originally at the Prince of Wales Hotel at Wanganui, afterwards purchasing the Waitotara Hotel, She came to Wellington in 1886, and took over the Central Hotel, where she was very popular. Subsequently she occupied the Queen's Hotel on Lambton Quay for four years, and has been in her present place of business since 1893. Mrs. Ormsbee has made her shilling luncheon a specialty in the various hotels which she has so successfully conducted in Wellington, and it is by no means less successful at the Oriental than it was in the previous houses.
Park Hotel (G. Y. Dennis, Proprietor), corner of Riddiford and Donald McLean Streets, Newtown, Wellington. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This hostelry is a two-story wooden building of imposing appearance, containing thirty or more rooms, about twenty of which are well-furnished bedrooms. There are ten sitting rooms and parlours, including a large billiard room supplied with two fine tables recently imported, and a fine dining-room.
Post Office Hotel (Edward Wilson, Proprietor), Grey Street, Wellington. Telephone 516; P.O. Box 225. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. This central hotel was established about the year 1870. The present proprietor took it over on the 11th of April, 1891, and has done much to increase the popularity of the house. Though not having an extensive frontage to the street, the hotel is large and commodious, having on the ground floor the public and private bars, three sitting-rooms, dining-room with accommodation for seventy persons, kitchen and lavoratories. On the first floor is situated the billiard-room—one of the best in the City. It is fitted with two of Alcock's tables, and is lighted by electric light. Adjoining the billiard-room is a very nicely appointed commercial room, which is supplied with a piano. There are eight bedrooms on this floor, and also bath-rooms and lavoratories. The second floor contains twenty bedrooms, and a private sitting-room, with two pianos. Fire escapes have been constructed from the upper floors of the hotel.
Mr. Wilson was born in Cumberland, England, in 1840. When only nine years of age he entered upon the task of earning a living by working in a coal mine—the property of the Earl of Lonsdale—at Whitehaven, and after five years' experience he was apprenticed to the trade of a colliery mechanic. The fact that a boy of nine years could be found at work in a coal mine shows how little page 664 had been done by legislation for the protection and prevention of child labour in the mines of Great Britain at that time. The period of apprenticeship over, Mr. Wilson's next two years were spent in moving from place to place in the north of England, and then with a light heart and a free spirit he left the shores of the old Motherland to covet the smiles of fortune in a newer world. After experiencing varying success at the far-famed diggings of Carriboo, B.C., Mr. Wilson settled down to steady work in the coal mines at Nanaimo, Vancouver Island. Here with a good wife, a good home, and a good position as underground mine manager, it seemed for him as if finality had been achieved. But fate willed otherwise. The engagement at the mine terminated, the good home was broken up, and Mr. Wilson and his belongings drifted to the United States, where at Wadsworth, Nevada, he worked for a time repairing locomotive engines for the C.P.R.R. Co. Returning to Carriboo he again tried goldmining, and being fairly successful, a trip to Merrie England was the result. But it did not by any means prove a Merrie England for him, for he lost his wife, being left with three children. Circumstances impelled him to commence work at the Lowea Engineering Works, Cumberland, where he remained three years. Mr. Wilson, anxious to try new fields, embarked at Greenock on board the good ship “Nelson,” and arrived at Port Chalmers on Boxing Day, 1875. He quickly found employment at the works of Messrs. Conyers and Davidson (Otago Foundry, Dunedin), and made what is alleged to have been the first railway engine constructed in the Colony. Subsequently he joined the New Zealand Railway Department in the capacity of shed fitter and repairer of running stock. He had filled this position for about five years when the Atkinson Government brought down a proposal to effect a ten per cent, reduction upon the wages of all the Government employees, the reduction to operate retrospectively. Mr. Wilson was chosen as leader of his fellow workmen in putting forward their views in emphatic and strong protest. The result of this agitation was the severance of Mr. Wilson's connection with the Government railways. After a rest of a few months—the first he had experienced since he went down a coal pit at nine years of age—Mr. Wilson entered upon a new venture, as proprietor of Wain's Hotel, Dunedin, It is somewhat singular that Mr. Wilson drifted into this business, as he had never tasted an intoxicating drink in his life, his father having been a convert to temperance under the influence of Father Matthew in the year 1839, the year before Mr. Wilson was born. After ten years' occupancy of Wain's Hotel, Mr. Wilson decided to try Wellington, and now he is well known as the popular host of the Post Office Hotel. Mrs. Wilson devotes all her attention to the comfort of the boarders in the hotel, and probably much of the success for which the Post Office Hotel is so famed is due to the landlady's special knowledge of the department over which she presides. Mrs. Wilson is a born disciplinarian, and although the staff numbers eleven servants, everything seems to move with the regularity of clockwork. Mr. Wilson has been an active athlete. Wrestling, boxing, running, jumping, vaulting and swimming were some branches of sport in which he formerly took an active part. He is a member of the Wellington Racing Club, the Port Nicholson Yacht Club, the Midland Cricket Club, the Wellington Dog Fanciers' Club, the Wellington Licensed Victuallers' Association, while the lodge of St. Andrews, Dunedin, claims his allegiance as a mason. As might be expected from the story of his life, he is an earnest and enthusiastic Liberal, a secularist from the time he began to think, a supporter of the present system of education, and has been, and now is, an ardent follower of the ideas and principles of the late Charles Bradlaugh. Mr. Wilson has a wide circle of friends, who recognise his many good qualities of head and heart.
Prince of Wales Hotel (Patrick William Corby, Proprietor), Tory Street, Wellington. This hotel has only recently been taken over by Mr. Corby, and has been entirely renovated and furnished throughout. It is situated within three minutes' walk of the Basin Reserve, and is within a stone's threw of the tram line. On the ground floor is the bar, with three sitting-rooms adjoining. The dining room has accommedation for twenty-four persons, and the billiard-room is fitted with one of Alcock's tables. Upstairs there are twelve bedrooms, with private sitting room and piano. Hot and cold water is laid on to the bath, and the lavatories are nicely arranged. Mrs. Corby looks after the domestic part of the hotel. Mr. Corby has had considerable experience in the business, having been for some years host of the Commercial Hotel at Pahiatua.
Royal Hotel (George Ross, Proprietor), opposite Government Railway Station, Lambton Quay, Wellington. Telephone 354. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. The Royal Hotel has long been favourably known to the travelling public and the citizens of the Empire City. The old portion consists of a two-story wooden building, which has recently been supplemented by a three-story brick building, faced with cement. The new edition is not only the most recent, but it is without doubt the most modern hotel within the Colony. It connects with the old building on the ground and first floors, but every passage of communication is supplied with double sliding fire-proof doors to ensure safety in case of an outbreak of fire, and fixed hydrants with firehose attached are placed in convenient positions within the new building. The new “Royal” is lighted with electric light throughout, the fittings being remarkably handsome, while over the entrance door is a powerful are light of two thousand candle power. Entering the large folding doors, which are of exquisite design, the visitor steps on a magnificent mosaic floor in which the words “Royal Hotel” are inserted. From the splendid hall, access it gained to the commercial-room, which contains every convenience, and by figured glass folding doors to the grand dining-room, where one hundred guests can be banquetted with ease and comfort, the cuisine and attendance being all that can be desired. Behind the dining-room is a capital pantry communicating with the kitchen, in which there is one of the page 665 largest and most complete ranges ever manufactured in Wellington A grand staircase ascends from the main hall to the first and second floors, where there are a large number of luxuriously furnished bed and sitting-rooms. Accommodation is available for fifty boarders or visitors without crowding or inconvenience. Splendid bath-rooms and lavatories, with a plentiful supply of hot and cold water, are on each flat. All the apartments are fitted with electric bells, and fire escapes afford means of egress in case of emergency on each floor. Mr. Ross, the popular host, is a mechanical engineer by profession, and for twelve years held the position of locomotive foreman of New Zealand Railways in the Wellington district. In 1879 he took charge from the Rimutaka Incline northwards, and seven years later he was appointed to the Wellington-Eketahuna section. While in charge Mr. Ross was enabled to effect considerable improvements. He is also well-known to seafaring men, and there is no wonder that his fine hostelry has been continuously “full” since the opening day of the new extension.
Royal Oak Motel (Samuel Gilmer, Proprietor) Cuba, Manners, and Dixon Streets, Wellington. Telephone 239; P.O. Box 229. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. The Royal Oak Hotel is one of the finest in the City of Wellington, and its proprietor, Mr. Gilmer, is exceedingly popular. With bold frontages to three streets, and within five minutes' walk of the wharf; handsome solid masonry throughout and splendidly decorated and furnished within; with a table second to none in the Colony, it is reasonable that the Royal Oak should be a most popular house. Very large additions are now being made to satisfy the demand of the resident and travelling public for accommodation. The exhibition is to be located within two minutes' walk of the Royal Oak; the Opera House is within a few doors; and the trams converge at the door, the cabstand being within a few yards. The fireproof nature of the hotel is, of course, another source of attraction. The bedrooms of the Royal Oak will most comfortably accommodate 100; and ample drawing room, dining room, writing room, reading room, and sitting room accommodation has been provided. Several of the drawing-rooms are most beautifully and elaborately furnished, and splendid views of the shipping and harbour are obtainable. Everything is of the best quality, and the tariff, though high enough to keep the house select, is by no means excessive. At a special fowl-run, about half a mile from the hotel, a most comprehensive stock of poultry is kept. It is a very large yard, and every precaution is taken to ensure the health of the birds. The Royal Oak is specially patronized by ladies and families, though it is also a great commercial house. Commercial gentlemen desirous of securing permanent sample rooms have a fine choice in the immediate neighbourhood. Though situated in the very centre of Wellington, and though almost always crowded with visitors and regular boarders, the Royal Oak is one of the very quietest hotels in the City. It is thoroughly well looked after, the proprietor being in this respect most ably assisted by Mrs. Gilmer. No one has the least hesitation in recommending the Royal Oak as a decidedly first-class hotel.
Shamrock Hotel (J. T. Gray, proprietor), Molesworth Street. Wellington. Telephone 826. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. This hotel was taken over in 1893 by the present proprietor. It has been thoroughly renovated, and entirely new furniture and fittings put into the building. During the session, the hotel is said to be taxed to its utmost, it being a general resort of the members of the House of Representatives. The house is splendidly fitted up with all conveniences, and is within sight of the Parliamentary Buildings.
Tramway Hotel (Reuben Morrish, proprietor), Adelaide Road, Wellington. This hotel is situated adjacent to the Tramway Stables and Workshops, and the business done is mostly in outdoor trade, which is very large indeed. The hotel itself—a rather old building, but in good repair—contains eight rooms on the ground floor and fifteen upstairs. Mr. Morrish has been in possession since 1894, and has had a large experience in the business, having been providore and steward of the steamers “Huia” and “Stormbird” for some fifteen years. He was also in the hotel business in Hawera. Visitors to this house may depend upon the best attention.
White Swan Hotel (F. J. McGovern, proprietor), 70 Cuba Street, Wellington. Telephone, 969. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This hostelry was named after the ship “White Swan,” which was wrecked on the coast between Auckland and Wellington while bringing some members of Parliament to attend the first session held in the Empire City. The building, which is a two story brick structure containing twenty rooms, has eighty feet frontage by a depth of 100 feet. There is a well-kept ten-stall stable attached to the hotel. The landlord, who hails from Ireland, arrived in Lyttelton in 1878, and was for many years in Kaitangata, where he built the Club Hotel, and afterwards the first theatre. Mr. McGovern, who was several times elected President of the Kaitangata Caledonian Society, sold his interests in 1894, and settled in Wellington.
Albion Hotel (Mrs. M. Butler, Proprietress), Courtenay Place. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Established 1858. Conducted by Mrs. Butler since 1890.
Bank Hotel (E. F. Scholefield, Proprietor), Manners Street. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established many years ago.
Barrett's Hotel (Albert White, Proprietor), Lambton Quay.
Brunswick Hotel (George Evans, Proprietor), corner of Willis and Ingestre Streets.
Central Hotel (A. L. Levy, Proprietor), Lambton Quay. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Conducted by Mr. Levy since June, 1894.
City Hotel (Christopher Ryan, Proprietor), corner of Majoribanks Street and Clyde Quay. Conducted by present proprietor since February, 1896.
Clyde Quay Hotel (Archibald Merlet, Proprietor), Clyde Quay. Taken over by present proprietor in 1895.
Cricketers' Arms Hotel (Alexander Smith, Proprietor), Tory Street.
Duke of Edinburgh Hotel (Mrs. K. Isaacs, Proprietress), 2 Manners Street.
Grosvenor Hotel (Robert Barclay, Proprietor), corner of Hankey Street and Wallace Street.
Masonic Hotel (Michael Killeen, Proprietor), Cuba Street.
Metropolitan Hotel (Henry Lahman, Proprietor), Molesworth Street.
Nag's Head Hotel (Morris Nathan, Proprietor), Cuba and Dixon Streets.
National Hotel (Thos. White, Proprietor), 147 Lambton Quay. Bankers Union Bank of Australia. Established 1847.
Newtown Hotel (Wm. Henry Back, Proprietor), Riddiford Street.
New Zealander Hotel (John Knox Hamilton, Proprietor), 44 Manners Street.
Panama Hotel (Moses McCarthy, Proprietor), Taranaki Street.
Pier Hotel (Mrs. James Condon, Proprietress), Customhouse Quay. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand.
Princess Hotel (George Wm. Chandler, Proprietor), Molesworth Street, Thorndon. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Established 1869.
Princess Theatre Hotel (Thomas Kelly, Proprietor), Tory Street. Bankers Bank of New Zealand. Established 1877.
Queen's Hotel (W. N. Tucker, Proprietor), 163A Lambton Quay.
Railway Hotel (James Dealy, Proprietor), 40 Thorndon Quay.
Royal Tiger Hotel (Mark Blythe, Proprietor), corner of Abel Smith Street and Taranaki Street. Established 1858.
Star Hotel (Donald McDonald, Proprietor), Lambton Quay. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Conducted by present proprietor since September, 1895.
Star and Garter Hotel (Mrs, Kate Herbert, Proprietress), corner of Webb and Cuba Streets. Bankers, Union Bank of Australia.
Te Aro Hotel (W. G. Ryland, Proprietor), Willis Street.
Terminus Hotel (Alfred Crossey, Proprietor), Courtenay Place. Taken over by present proprietor in November, 1895.
Thistle Inn (F. S. Cooper, Proprietor), Mulgrave Street.
Victoria Hotel (Patrick Dwyer, Proprietor), Abel Smith Street. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand.
Wellington Hotel (Arthur Haywood, Proprietor), Molesworth Street.
Western Hotel (H. J. Walter, Proprietor), 11 Willis Street.
Boardinghouses, Restaurants, Etc.
The Don Refreshment Rooms (Mrs. Austin, proprietress), Exchange Buildings, Lambton Quay, Wellington. Mrs. Austin is a native of Croyden, England. She came to New Zealand per ship “Crusader,” in 1872, her destination being Lyttelton. Her experience in her present line of business has been very considerable, and during the past four years she has most successfully managed and conducted the establishment known as “Willow Bank Boardinghouse.” The Don Refreshment Rooms, which are situated on the ground floor of the Exchange Buildings—more familiar to the old residents of the Empire City under the original appellation of the Athenæum—are very comtortably fitted up. The upstairs rooms are devoted to the use of ladies, who can thus have private refreshment and other rooms at any time. Fronting Lambton Quay, are two large and handsome windows, which display to the best advantage the choice and varied assortment of appetising viands which are kept in stock. Mrs. Austin is a capital manager, and under her direction her numerous visitors are promptly supplied with all kinds of light refreshments in the shape of tea, coffee, cocoa, light meat dishes tastefully prepared, and dainty suppers, etc. page 669 The Don Refreshment Rooms were established in 1895, and their popularity is already growing. A picture of this central establishment appears herewith.
Grimes, Mrs., Private Boarding House, Kensington House, H[unclear: ill] Street, Wellington. Telephone, No. 731. Immediately next to the House of Representatives, and overlooking Government House, is situated the very fine residence of Mrs. Grimes. This lady has been in Wellington for the past twenty years, and has the reputation of being the proprietress of one of the nicest establishments of its kind in the city. Her rooms are most handsomely furnished, and the sanitary arrangements are perfect. Mrs. Grimes personally superintends the house, so that visitors to Wellington may rely upon obtaining the very best of attention at her hands.
Swain's Private Hotel and Luncheon Rooms (W. H. Swain, proprietor), 125 Lambton Quay, (corner of Woodward Street), Wellington. This hotel—a two-story building—is newly fitted up, and contains a large and well-ventilated dining hall, capable of seating seventy persons. Smoking and sitting-rooms, and a hairdressing saloon and tobacconist's shop are also on the ground floor. On the first floor are fourteen cheerful bedrooms, all well appointed and carefully tended. This house—originally the Branch Hotel—has already proved very convenient for many who require comfortable quarters at a pound a week, the tariff charged. Mr. Swain has had long experience as a caterer, both afloat and ashore, and is personally popular.
Willow Bank Boardinghouse (Mrs. Austin, proprietress), top of Plimmer's Steps, off Lambton Quay, Wellington. This old-established house, which has been used as a boardinghouse for a very great number of years, has been conducted by Mrs. Austin since 1891. It is a large rambing building, and contains twenty-three rooms, of which seventeen are bedrooms, providing accommodation for from twenty to thirty permanent boarders. The dining-room is large and convenient, and is very comfortably furnished. A good table is kept, and is lavishly supplied not only with the necessaries of life, but with a great many of the luxuries. Cooking is a matter of no small importance; therefore au experienced chef is engaged, whose attention to details leaves nothing to be desired. “Willow Bank” possesses a cosy sitting-room and dining-room set apart for the use of ladies. It is a most popular establishment, and is always well patronised, gentlemen being accommo.
Other Boardinghouses, Etc.
Blane, Mrs. Susan, Private Boarding Establishment, G Courtenay Place.
Brown, W., Steamboat Restaurant, Waring Taylor Street.
Burkinshaw, Mrs. Sarah, Boardinghouse Keeper, Boulcott Street.
Cullen, Richard, Oyster and Game Dealer, and Restaurateur, 12 Willis Street.
Bankers, Bank of New Zealand, Established 1869, and conducted by present proprietor since 1893.
Curtis, Mrs. M., New City Dining Rooms, Lambton Quay. Established 1892.
Dempsie, Mrs. M., A1 Boardinghouse, Taranaki Place.
Eves, Miss, Restaurant Keeper. Thorndon Quay.
Knigge, Mrs. A., Restaurant Keeper, 34 Willis Street.
McDonald, A., Scotia Restaurant, Willis Street.
McRandall, Mrs. B., National Boardinghouse, 126 Willis Street. Estab. 1892.
Malcolm, Miss, Boardinghouse Keeper, 122 Tinakori Road.
Neil, Mrs. M., Restaurant Keeper, 29 Willis Street.
Roberts, R., Old City Dining Rooms, Lambton Quay.
Scott, Samuel, Boardinghouse Keeper, “Te Aro Buffet,” 28 Ghuznee Street.
Walsh, Thomas, Restaurant Keeper, Willis Street.
Watson, Mrs. H., Restaurant Keeper, 46 Lambton Quay.
Waters, Charles, Oyster and Refreshment Rooms, 29 Cuba Street.
Whitehall (Mrs. E. Onyon, Proprietress), Boulcott Street and Plimmer's Steps.
Wood. Thomas, Oyster Saloan, Manners Streat.