The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
The Furnishing Trade. — Including—Billiard Table Manufacturers; Cabinet Makers; Crockery and Glassware Importers and Dealers; French Polishers, Furniture Warehousemen, Looking-glass and Chair Manufacturers; Undertakers, Upholsterers
The Furnishing Trade.
Including—Billiard Table Manufacturers; Cabinet Makers; Crockery and Glassware Importers and Dealers; French Polishers, Furniture Warehousemen, Looking-glass and Chair Manufacturers; Undertakers, Upholsterers.
Ahradsen, Peter, Cabinetmaker and Upholsterer 17 Tory Street, Wellington. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Ahradsen came to the Colony in 1874, per ship “Reichstag” Apprenticed in Copenhagen, he has worked many years as a journeyman in New Zealand. The business was established in 1886 the premises occupied being of wood, containing 4000 square feet of floorage space.
Mr. E. Anderson's Premises, Willis Street.
Cochrane, George, China, Glass, and Fancy Goods Dealer, Cuba Street, Wellington. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Mr. Cochrane became proprietor of this business in October, 1894, after acting as manager for his predecessor for some time. He keeps a large and well assorted stock of crockery, glassware and fancy goods, the greater portion being imported by him.
Digby, Rowland, Wholesale and Retail Cabinet maker, Kent Terrace. Private residence, Cuba Street. Is a native of Essex, arrived 1863 per ship “David George Fleming,” was apprenticed to A. Osborne, of Christchurch, and has since worked at Government Workshops, Addington, and for local firms. His specialty is household furniture, office fittings, &c. Mr. Digby was three years in business in Christchurch. Present business established 1891. Floor space occupies 1000 square feet
Eller, M., and Son (Martin Eller), Upholsterers and Cabinetmakers, Ellerton House, 106 Willis Street, Wellington. Telephone, 240. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. English agent, Stout, Birmingham. Private residence, Boulcott Street. Mr. Eller is a native of Germany, which he left in 1872. He served his apprenticeship in his native land, completing his term in 1870. Reaching the Colony in 1873, he worked at his trade, and subsequently was for three years in business in Hokitika. He found d the present business in 1884, and has conducted the same ever since. The firm's trade having considerably developed, it became necessary to provide increased accommodation. Mr. Eller was fortunate in securing a freehold section not far from the corner of Manners and Willis Streets. Here he has erected, from his own plans, a spacious brick building, consisting of a handsome two-story shop in front with verandah and balcony, and a four-story factory at the back. The show-room on the ground floor contains some 1500 feet of floorage space. There are two remarkably fine show windows, which look especially pretty when illuminated by electric light on an evening. The first floor has been handsomely fitted up, and is well let for professional purposes. The factory includes four floors, totalling page 654 over 3000 square feet of floor space; in the cellar there is a water motor which drives the machinery, consisting of circular and band saws, boring and dovetailing machinery, etc. The workshop is on the first floor, the second is intended to be an extra showroom, and the third is devoted to the upholstering department. Over the roof is a large space for storing timber, and there is a loft above the shop for keeping flock hair and flax. The entire building is lighted by electric light, and is splendidly adapted for the expanding trade. Messrs. Eller and Son are importers of wire bedsteads and of materials needed in the trade. About eight or ten hands are employed in the manufacturing business.
Fielder, Henry, Wholesale and Retail Manufacturing Cabinetmaker, Upholsterer, and General House Furnisher, 38, 40 and 42 Manners Street, Wellington. Telephone, 238. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Private residence, Willis Street. Mr. Feilder established this business in 1880. The premises occupied consist of shop, showrooms and factory, which are all of iron and brick. The showrooms contain a great variety of household goods, sufficient to suit the tastes of all classes. The factory at the back is replete with machinery of all kinds needed in the business—lathes, circular, fret and band saws; planing, carving, and dove-tailing machines, etc. The motive power is obtained from a ten-horse-power steam engine. Mr. Fielder is a direct importer, from the leading London houses, of pianos, organs, English furniture, etc. In every part of Mr. Fielder's establishment there are objects of great interest, both among the imported goods and those of his own manufacture. Mr. Fielder is a native of London, but came to this Colony in 1854, arriving on his first birthday. He learned his business with his father, Mr. H. V. Fielder, of Christchurch.
Flockton and Co. (John H. Flockton and Frank Bedford), Importers and Manufacturers of Furniture, Ironmongery and Crockery Dealers, Variety Stores, 47, 49 and 51 Manners Street, Wellington. Upholstering works, Cornhill Street. Steam furniture factory, Dixon Street. Telephone 211. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This large business was established in 1881 by Mr. Henry Flockton, who was compelled to retire (by ill health) in 1891, but he has now so far recovered as to be able to undertake the managemen of the furniture factory. The two-story brick shops—known as The Variety Stores—in Manners Street, are very extensive, affording about 18,000 square feet of floorage space. The furniture department—a splendid showroom—contains a very large stock of furniture of choice designs, and occupies a prominent position fronting Manners Street. The crockery and furnishing ironmongery department is in the adjoining shop, and there a very valuable stock is tastefully arranged to fascinate the eye of the prudent housewife. Messrs. Flockton and Co. have a second-hand department in a large store at the back of the two showrooms just mentioned. Here they have a large and truly varied stock of goods—so varied, indeed, that the term Variety Stores may be considered justly earned. Behind these buildings there is a large bulk store, which is approachable by the back entrance from Dixon Street. The upholstery works in Cornhill Street consist of a two-story iron building having nearly 4000 square feet of floorage space. The furniture factory in Dixon Street is claimed to be the argest of its kind in Wellington. There are two wooden structures, two stories high, which are fully occupied in connection with the business, the total floor space being 10,000 square feet. The machinery—consisting of lathes, shaping machines, circular and band saws—is driven by an eight-horse-power horizontal steam-engine. The escape steam is utilised for heating the drying-room, which is designed to thoroughly season a large stock of sawn and cut timber of splendid quality, some of which has been on hand for several years. The drying-room contains 1800 square feet of floorage space. Messrs. Flockton and Co. employ about thirty hands when in full swing. The manufactures of the firm are well known in Wellington, as well as in the country districts. The importations of the firm are very considerable—regular shipments being received. Arrangements have been made whereby the latest designs in linoleums, oilcloths, mats, and matting, iron bedsteads, and other lines, are shipped to the order of the firm. Experienced workmen are employed to make and lay carpets for their customers, and Messrs. Flockton and Co. are page 655 always open to contract to furnish houses throughout, with either new or second-hand furniture.
Linley, George H., Cabinetmaker, Upholsterer, and Undertaker, Manners Street, Wellington. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Private residence, 27 Dixon Street. This business was established in March, 1880, by Mr. George Tiller, the present proprietor succeeding in 1895. The premises, which are well situated, comprise a large show-room, with fine plate-glass windows, and two convenient workshops behind. Considerably over 2000 square feet of floorage space are available for the purposes of the trade. A choice stock of household furniture—all made on the establishment—is on view at Mr. Linley's premises. Born in Dunedin, in 1863, this enterprising business man learned his business at Mr. A. Compton's, in Wellington. After completing his term in 1883, he gained larger experience by working for various firms. In 1885 he entered the service of Mr. Tiller as a journeyman; seven years later he was promoted to the position of foreman, which he retained till he became proprietor of the business. Mr. Linley is very clever in the finer branches of the trade. For over eight years past he has made a specialty of inlaid work. He has been a steady prize-taker for the excellence of this class of work. In 1885 he exhibited at the Wellington Exhibition, and secured two first prizes and a silver medal. Three years later, at the Melbourne Exhibition, his work received honourable mention. At the Paris Exhibition of 1889, an inlaid bed-room jewel cabinet and walking-sticks were awarded a prize and silver medal. Three of the sticks were placed in the Paris Museum. Mr. Linley prepared a marvellous bedroom jewel cabinet, containing 7000 pieces of New Zealand native woods, for the Dunedin Exhibition of 1890, which received first order of merit. The certificates received from these Exhibitions are beautifully framed in choice inlaid frames. Few cabinetmakers have received certificates of greater value.
Martin, F. X., Art Furniture Manufacturer and Dealer, 116 Willis Street, Wellington. Mr. Martin, who is a brother of Mr. Robert Martin, the well-known painter and paperhanger, of Manners Street, was born in London in 1840. He was taken to America at five years of age, and thoroughly learned every branch of his trade in that country. In 1865 he commenced business in Pittsburg, Pensilvania, where he remained three or four years. Afterwards he was successively in Louisville, Kentucky, Columbia, and Cincinatti, Ohio, Chicago, and other American towns. Mr. Martin was in the last named city at the time of the great fire. After remaining between seven and eight years, he sold off and emigrated to New Zealand. Mr. Martin's premises in Willis Street are well worth a visit. A rich variety of splendid mantels, art furniture, and inlaid work in the beautiful natural woods of New Zealand, and in specially imported American timbers, are on view, many being of novel designs. Mr. Martin is an artist in furniture making, and undertakes to prepare drawings of any article that is required, page 656 whether for churches, offices, or dwellings. His system is to submit the sketch with estimate of cost, his customers being then able to decide whether to have the article made as designed, or a simpler and less expensive one. Communications by letter receive prompt attention, Mr. Martin's plant includes shaper and circular saws, which are driven by a water moter, but his specialty is handwork, and such is ordinarily the demand for his production that it is no uncommon thing for him to have six months work on hand. There can be no doubt that Mr. Martin will find plenty to do, as the matter of artistic furniture is one which has not received that attention in Wellington which its importance demands, and now that it is possible to obtain special designs of a novel character and at a reasonable [unclear: price], it is certain that advantage will be taken of the opportunity.
Morris, Edward, Junr., Undertaker, 10 Taranaki Street, Wellington. Cable address, “Morris, Wellington.” Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Morris is a native of London, and came out to the Colony with his parents by the ship “Strathnavar” in 1874. He was brought up to the business with his father, Mr. Edward Morris, senr., who established the present business in 1878, conducting it successfully for some years. Mr. Morris, junr., then became a partner in the concern, and took over the management, and Mr. Morris, sen., eventually decided to turn his attention to farming pursuits, and settled on some land of his own in the Manawatu district. This was in 1886. The business was then taken over by Mr. Morris, junr. Mr. Morris believes in having one trade, and keeping en entirely to it. There are but few undertakers who confine themselves exclusively to that line of business, most of them doing general cabinetmaking as well. Mr. Morris, however, has given himself up to the business, and it is not surprising that he should have made a name for himself. This is evidenced by the large proportion of funerals which he is retained to conduct, as well as in the satisfaction expressed by those who require his services in time of trouble.
Photo by Mrs. Herrmann
Mr. E. Morris, Junr.
Richardson Brothers (George Earnest Richardson and William Ewart Richardson), Cabinetmakers and Upholsterers, 115 Cuba Street, Wellington. This business was established in 1890 by the present proprietors, who both served their time to the trade in Wellington. They landed in New Zealand by the ship “Waikato,” from England, with their parents, in the year 1876. A large and varied stock of furniture of every description is displayed in an attractive manner, and marked off at very low rates. The stock consists of suites of furniture, wardrobes, cheffoniers, sideboards, and pier looking glasses, and every requisite for the complete furnishing of cottage and mansion. The senior partner, Mr. G. E. Richardson, has for some years taken an active interest in Good Templary, and has also filled the office of secretary and treasurer to the City Band.
Scoullar and Chisholm (Arthur Scoullar and Robert Chisholm), Cabinetmakers and Upholsterers, Furnishing Warehouse, Lambton Quay, Wellington. Branch Warehouse, Rattray Street, Dunedin. Telephone 110: P.O. Box 319. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Scoullar's private residence is at 146 Upper Willis Street, but the other partner. Mr. Chisholm, resides in Dunedin This large business was established in 1863 by Messrs. North and Scoullar in Dunedin, Mr. Scoullar, the senior partner, having thus been connected with the business since its inception. In 1889 Mr. North retired. and Mr. Chisholm, who had for son e years held a position with the firm, became a partner. The Wellington branch of the business was established in 1886, when the firm purchased the interest of Mr. Kimbell, who had previously conducted a similar business in the Empire City. After a short time it became evident that the premises occupied were much too restricted for the business of the firm; consequently Mr. Chatfield, the well-known architect of Wellington, was instructed to draw plans for a new building. Tenders were called for its erection, and in the end, the present handsome brick building, four stories in height, with a floorage space of no less than 12,000 square feet, was page 657 erected by Mr. Ransom, the successful tenderer. Some idea of the size and splendid appearance of this structure may be gleaned from the illustration accompanying. In addition to this large accommodation, the firm rent two flats from the Gear Co. at the back of the premises, where the factory is situated. The motive power is a gas engine, which has a capacity of eleven-horse-power. The machinery used by the firm is all of the latest description, and includes two circular saws, two bend saws, a dove-tailing and shaping machine, two turning lathes, two planing machines, and a flock mill. The firm employ between forty and fifty hands altogether, to make up the large quantity of furniture in all designs, from the plainest and simplest to the most beautiful varieties, for which they receive orders. They are also large importers of English made furniture and materials used in connection with the trade which cannot be advantageously produced in the Colony. The business of the firm extends throughout the greater portion of the North Island, and the West Coast of the South Island. The firm are importers of pianos, which are disposed of on the cash or hire purchase system; and one of the latest additions to the business is a crockery department. A new plant has just been erected for the making of wove wire mattresses, which are now turned out “like clock work.” The shop-window gazer can spend a profitable quarter of an hour in viewing the artistic display always to be found in the very large window front of the establishment Mr. Scoullar, the senior partner of the firm, is a Scotchman, having been born in Stewarton, Ayrshire. His experience as a lad was very different from that of most of the colonial youth, for at the age of seven he was sent to work. He was engaged in the making of Kilmarnock bonnets for eight years, and at the age of fifteen was apprenticed in Glasgow to the cabinet-making business, completing his term of apprenticeship about the year 1850. Mr. Scoullar worked for a short time at his trade in the Old Country, but left for Melbourne in 1854 “in quest of gold.” He sailed for the colonies as carpenter's mate on board the ship “Contest,” and on arriving in Melbourne, was able to secure employment at the munificent wage of thirty shillings per day as a carpenter. Even this high scale of remuneration, however, did not satisfy one who was struck with the gold fever, and during the ensuing six years Mr. Scoullar was in the thick of the Australian diggings. The financial result of his enterprise was not altogether satisfactory, and in disgust Mr. Scoullar shaped his course for New Zealand, arriving in time to form one of the many who found their way to the Clutha diggings, where there was a ‘rush.’ Here his luck changed, and Mr. Scoullar made more money in a month than he had obtained in the six years of his experience on the Australian fields. Mr. Scoullar was, however, cut out for commercial life, and did not stay long at the diggings in New Zealand. He went to Dunedin, and started the present business as above described. He has always been a busy man, and has had the care of a large establishment for many years. Notwithstanding this, he has found time to contribute his share towards the civil government of the district in which he resided. He sat in the Dunedin City Council for four years, and in the fifth year occupied the mayoral chair.
Phillips, Godfrey John, General Dealer, 138 Cuba Street, Wellington. Telephone 510. Established 1883. Mr. Phillips undertakes to buy furniture in any quantity, and maintains a thoroughly good and varied stock of new and second hand goods
Wright, Ranish and Co. (Harry Ranish), Billiard Table, Billiard Dining-table, and Billiard Cushion Makers, 110 Lambton Quay, Wellington. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This business was established in 1892, and since then the firm has worked up a connection in different parts of the Colony. Their billiard tables are to be found in most of the principal clubs and hotels in New Zealand, and it is claimed for the locally - made tables that in the matter of quality and price they will compare more than favourably with the imported article. Messrs. Wright, Ranish and Co. occupy a two-story building, the floor space being about 2400 square feet. All materials, such as black wood, cedar, slates, cloths, ivory balls, etc., are imported, with the exception of certain classes of colonial timber specially adapted for the work. Mr. Ranish, who has devoted his life to the study of billiard table making, is a native of Austria, and arrived in New Zealand in 1887. The firm has agencies in Christchurch and Auckland. All the tables of their manufacture are fitted with thick bolted slate beds from the Home quarries, covered with best West of England cloth, and provided with the low Excelsior cushions, which have been found to be such a great improvement on the “cush” formerly in use. Besides its manifest superiority it is claimed for the Excelsior cushion that it is simpler in construction, more durable, and less expensive to manufacture than rubber block cushions, that it is capable of being readily removed and replaced, and is designed so that its face will stand almost at right angles to the surface of the table, the object being to give greater accuracy in the angles of replication and repercussion than has hitherto been possible. It is made of strips of the purest caoutchouc, glued together throughout the whole of their length by the same material in a liquid state, and prominent players from one end of the Colony to the other, to whom it has been supplied, have testified in unmistakeable terms as to its superiority over other classes of cushions. One of the most interesting features of the work done is the manufacture of billiard-dining-tables—that is, tables which can be used and are in every respect suitable for dining tables, and yet can at a moment's notice be converted into billiard-tables, fitted with cushions, pockets, etc., all complete. In one of these the top of the table is fixed to the framework by a steel bolt at each end, and is secured at the sides by pegs which keep it securely in position. When these pegs are removed the top of the table can be turned completely over with the greatest ease, so perfectly is it balanced, and there stands revealed a billiard table, true and firm, and ready for immediate use. A good stock of ivory balls and sundries is kept.
Others In The Furnishing Trade.
Asher, D., Importer of Toys, Manners Street.
Burns and Borthwick (Edward Burns and George Borthwick), Show Case Makers, off Upper Willis Street.
Calcinai, John Ferdinand, Cabinetmaker and Joiner, Brandon Street. Private residence, Khandallah.
Diedrich and Sons, Cabinetmakers and Upholsterers, 107 and 109 Cuba Street.
Drake, Daniel, and Son, Cabinetmakers and Upholsterers, Molesworth Street. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Established 1868.
Easby, Richard Cobden, Blind Manufacturer. 59 Tory Street. Private residence, Cuba Street.
Hoskins, Paul, Cabinetmaker and Undertaker, 29 Taranaki Place. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established 1876.
Johnson, Charles John, Cabinetmaker, 28 Murphy Street.
Kreissig, Max, Ice Chest Manufacturer and Cabinetmaker, 83 Willis Street. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Nairn Street. Estab. 1892.
Martin, Joseph, Upholaterer and Cabinetmaker, Charlotte Street. Private residence, Wilson Street, Newtown.
Nicholls, George Bernard, Fancy Goods and Crockery Dealer, Lambton Quay.
Prince, George Edward, Cabinetmaker. Rintoul Street.
Soffe, Sydney, Cabinetmaker, Russell Terrace.
Stonebridge, Thomas, Cabinetmaker, Taranaki Street. Established 1892.