The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
The Fuel Trade. — Including—Coal and Wood Merchants and Dealers, Coal Companies, and Coal Pit Proprietors
The Fuel Trade.
Including—Coal and Wood Merchants and Dealers, Coal Companies, and Coal Pit Proprietors.
Blackball Coal Mining Company, Limited. Head office, Christchurch. Wellington agency, Waterloo Quay. Telephone 936; P.O. Box 117. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Agent, Mr. C. W. Turner. This agency was established in 1894. Further information concerning this Company will be given in the Canterbury volume.
The Greymouth-Point Elizabeth Railway and Coal Company, Limited. Directors: The Hon. Cecil T. Parker, J.P. (chairman), Messrs. Joseph Macdonald, J.P., John McDonald, and Alexander MacDougall (managing director and sole representative in the Colony); trustees for debenture-holders, Sir George Barclay Bruce and the Hon. Arthur G. Brand, M.P.; secretary, Mr. L. J. Langmead; solicitors, Messrs. Wilkins, Blyth, Dutton, and Hartley. Bankers in London, the British Linen Company Bank. Capital, £200,000 in £1 shares, and £90,000 in debentures. This large British company was incorporated in 1893. Their property consists of six thousand acres of the Greymouth coal reserve, leased from the Government for sixty-six years at a royalty of sixpence per ton. In October, 1895, the Company purchased from the Grey Valley Coal Company, Limited, the famous Brunner Mine, which is now being worked. The Company's collieries, besides the Brunner, are known as Coal Creek, Camp Creek, Seven-Mile Creek, and Point Elizabeth. Some of the finest coal seams in the Colony exist on the property of this Company, the quality being said to equal, if not excel, any coal in Australasia, but for gas purposes the Brunner coal is considered unequalled in the colonies, the output from the Brunner mine being about 130,000 tons per annum. The Greymouth-Point Elizabeth Company are spending about £100,000 in constructing a railway to connect their other mines with Greymouth, including the construction of a large bridge over the Grey river, and the opening up of the works. Mr. C. Napier Bell, C.E., has designed the bridge, and is retained to supervise its construction, besides acting as the Company's consulting engineer. The rolling stock required for the new railway will cost from £20,000 to £25,000. There can be little doubt that in a short time the Company will be able to produce enormous quantities of coal. At the present time they supply many of the gas companies of the Colony, and hold a contract for the supply of most of the West Coast coal used on the New Zealand Government railways. A splendid deposit of fire clay on the Company's works enables them to manufacture bricks, gas retorts, and fire clay goods of every kind, for which there is a great and increasing demand. The coke manufactured by the Company is of excellent quality, and many thousand tons are shipped to various parts of Australasia every year.
Mokihinui Coal Company, Limited. Directors, Messrs. T. J. W. Gale J.P. (Chairman), E. Seagar, M. Chapman, T. Roskruge, J. Barton, R. Sloan, and J. Colvin. Head office, Grey Street, Wellington. Secretary, Mr. William Lambert. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mines, Mokihinui (Westport). This Company has been in existence for many years. The mine produces a good steam coal, which is sold wholesale only by the Company.
Westport Coal Company, Limited. Head office, Dunedin. Mines, Denniston (Westport). Wellington branch (wholesale department), Queen's Chambers, corner of Jervois Quay and Wharf Approach. Agent, Mr. William Scott. Telephone 708. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Retail department, Manners Street. Telephone 222. P.O. Box 171. Agent, Mr. William Charles Gasquoine. In October 1895, this Company took over the retail branch of the Grey Valley Coal Company's business, which had been successfully conducted for many years. Mr. Gasquoine, who has been in charge of the branch since 1885, was born in Victoria He first visited New Zealand in 1865, but did not settle finally in the Colony till ten years later, when he entered the service of Messrs. Kennedy Bros., afterwards the Grey Valley Coal Company, in Greymouth. Mr. Gasquoine was appointed to open the Wellington branch, and has been well known in the Empire City since taking up his residence in Wellington.
Andrews, D. and J. (David and Joseph Andrews), Coal and Firewood Merchants, Wholesale Hay, Corn, and Produce Dealers, Tory Street. Telephone 886. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand, Te Aro. (See J. and D. Andrews, venetian blind manufacturers). This business was founded in 1883 by Mr. D. Andrews, who was brought up to the trade in Wellington. The premises, which cover about 22,500 square feet, comprise stables, shed, store, and dwelling. The buildings are built of wood and brick, being one story in height. A four-horse-power steam-engine drives the circular saw for firewood-cutting, and other machinery. The firm have six horses and drays constantly employed in connection with this business. They are importers of Newcastle coal, in which they do a large trade, they also have a large turnover in local coal. For the last six years they have supplied the Government with coal and firewood for the Asylum and Hospital, and still retain the contract. Messrs. Andrews are doing a steadily-increasing trade. In hay, corn, and produce they conduct a wholesale trade. They have arrangements whereby they are in a position to secure supplies of the very best quality, and are consequently enabled to execute orders at lowest market value. The partners are sole proprietors of the venetian blind and butter box factory in Willis Street.
Brown, Samuel, Contractor, Coal and Produce Importer; Office, Johnston Street; Stores and Yards, Willis Street and Tory Street. Telephones: Office, 88; Tory Street, 164 Willis Street, 124. P.O. Box 99. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Cable address ”Brown, Wellington;” Code, ABC. Private residence, Hanson Street. Mr. Brown is a native of Ireland. He came to New Zealand 1862, and, landing at the Bluff, he remained in Invercargill two years, entering into business as a contractor. In page 651 1864 he came on to Wellington and formed the present business. The business premises are central and extensive—about 20,000 square feet of floor space. The corn store in Tory Street is a two-story building and contains all needful machinery for grinding corn and cutting chaff, as well as a sawing plant for firewood, the motive power being two steam engines, aggregating sixteen horse-power. Mr. Brown does a large trade, his connection extending throughout the Wellington provincial district. He imports coal from Newcastle and elsewhere and holds agencies for various coal companies. He is the patentee of an appliance for gold saving, in connection with dredging. In local politics Mr. Brown has held the highest position in the gift of ratepayers, having been returned as mayor of the city of Wellington for two consecutive years. As a councillor he sat for six years, and for three years he had a seat on the Harbour Board. He was a member of the Board of Governors of the Wellington College. For some years Mr. Brown has held the position of justice of the peace. He is also chairman of the Masonic Hall Company.
Futter, William L., Coal and Wood Merchant, Mulgrave Street, Wellington. Bankers, Post Office Savings Bank. Established 1881. Mr. Futter was born in Wellington in the year 1848, and is therefore the oldest resident in the trade in the City. Mr. Futter's parents came to Wellington in 1841 in the ship “Lady Nugent.” His father was for many years verger in St. Paul's Episcopalian Church. Mr. Futter was educated locally, and after leaving school found employment driving a cart. Subsequently he took to cab driving, which he found very lucrative in the early days of settlement. After some years experience cab driving, Mr. Futter went to Christchurch, where he worked as a general labourer. Returning, he settled in Wellington, where he opened a business as a coal and wood merchant. In this he now has the help of his son, and with the assistance of a circular saw, two and sometimes three drays and horses, gets through a good deal of business. The section on which the business is carried on, has a frontage of fifty-three feet to Mulgrave Street, and is 180 feet deep, the whole being freehold.
Gaudin, William John, Wood, Coal, and Produce Dealer, 26 Ghuznee Street, Wellington. Telephone 271. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Established 1874. The proprietor, after arrival in this Colony in 1874 by the “Star of India,” from London, followed various occupations, at intervals working at his own trade, that of a sailmaker, to which calling he served his term in Jersey, Channel Islands. He was employed for about seven years with the late firm of D. McIntyre and Co. in that capacity, and then with Messrs. T. and W. Young, of Wellington, as storeman, for eleven years. He purchased the plant and business from Mr. E. Whitehead, and established himself independently. The premises, comprising a floor space of about 3000 square feet, contain large quantities of corn and grain of various kinds, while the roomy sheds forming part of the establishment are always well supplied with coal, coke, and other kinds of fuel. Mr. Gaudin employs regularly four hands in connection with the business, his trade extending over the city of Wellington, and the wider surroundings of the suburbs. He has, since taking over the business, worked up a very good connection, and maintained the good reputation which the business enjoyed during the proprietorship of Mr. Whitehead. Mr. Gaudin employs the aid of steam power in the process of grinding and cleaning grain of all descriptions, and a belt also connects with a circular saw for wood-cutting purposes. The coal sold from Mr. Gaudin's shed is procured from the best mines of the Colony, and should always give satisfaction to consumers. Mr. Gaudin's business does not afford him sufficient time to pay much attention to political matters, in consequence of which his views remain a secret to the public, but he has held the office of secretary to the Order of Rechabites for upwards of sixteen years.
Jones and Co. (C. H. Jones and William Williams), Coal, Firewood, and Produce Dealers, Lambton Quay (next Kirkcaldie and Stains' carpet warehouse) Wellington. Telephone 881. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Jones is an Englishman by birth, and for fifteen years was in the employ of Messrs. J. S. Fry and Sons, the noted cocoa and chocolate manufacturers. Subsequently he entered into business as a wholesale confectioner in Bristol, where he had three large shops, and did a good trade for some years. Mr. Williams was employed in the Great Western locomotive works at Taunton for a long time, and subsequently was engaged by John Lysaght, Limited. The partners came to the Colony in 1894, per s.s. “Ruahine,” and have established the above business, in which they are meeting with good success. Mr. C. H. Jones is also an importer of confectionery and novelties of various kinds both from England and Japan. His long experience in this trade enables him to put on the Colonial market a great variety of good selling novelties.
Parke and Co. (Shepherd Hughes), Coal and Wood Merchants, Cambridge Terrace, Wellington. Established 1894. Telephone 670. Private residence, Edge Hill. Mr. Hughes, who has succeeded Mr. Parke in business, is a native of County Down, Ireland. He came to the Colony in the ship “Lady Jocelyn,” arriving in Lyttelton. His business is carried on in leasehold premises, which have a frontage of some fifty feet to Cambridge Terrace. Mr. Hughes is a hard worker himself and only employs one man. With the keen opposition and cutting prices in his trade, he with an enterprise above most of those doing business around him, has succeeded in maintaining a sound business. He keeps on hand a fairly large stock of the coals most in demand and does an extensive trade in firewood.
Phillips, Godfrey John, Coal and Firewood Merchant, 138 Cuba Street, corner of Abel Smith Street, Wellington. Telephone, 510. This business was established by the present proprietor in 1883. The coal yard is large and convenient, and contains a good stock of household fuel of all descriptions. Mr. Phillips has two drays and an express, and three horses steadily employed in connection with the trade. Born in Sydney in 1845, he came to Wellington when about ten years old, and was brought up to the butchering trade. After leaving the business. Mr Phillips spent some time farming, and settled in Wellington as above. He is a member of Lodge 16 of the Orange order, and was at one time its Treasurer.
Picot Bros., (John Picot and David Picot) Wood and Coal Merchants, Davis Street and Thorndon Quay, Wellington. Telephone 592. This business was established by W. Page and Co. some years ago, and taken over by the present owners early in 1895. The business premises have a frontage of about seventy feet to Davis Street, and about the same to Thorndon Quay. The section is about 290 feet deep. The business carried on is an extensive one in all kinds of coal and wood. The possession of a good circular saw driven by a water engine, enables the firm to supply wood cut to any length in small or great quantities, at very short notice. Messrs. Picot Bros. keep a large stock on hand, and though so recently started in business, seem to enjoy a rapidly increasing trade, at a time when most retail traders in their line complain of business falling off.
Powell, Justinian John Kivern, Coal, Firewood, and Stone Merchant. Coal yard, 6 Ingestre Street. Telephone 692. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Private residence, Ingestre Street. Further reference to Mr. Powell, as a produce merchant, is made under “Storekeepers, Grocers, etc.”
Thompson Bros. and Co. (William John Thompson, Herbert Joseph Thompson and Robert Charles Renner), Coal and Firewood Merchants. Yards and offices, Dixon Street, Murphy Street and Featherston Street. Telephones 266, 533, 335. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. The business was founded by Captain Williams in the early days. The present proprietors have conducted the same since 1887, with the exception of the Dixon Street business, which they purchased from Mr. J. M. Miller in 1890. The plant comprises fifteen vehicles and eight horses, besides circular saws, corn crushers, etc. Large quantities of coal are brought direct from Newcastle, as well as from Westport and Greymouth. The premises occupied by the firm are conveniently situated for supplying all parts of the city and suburbs. The Dixon Street establishment, which serves the Te Aro and Newtown residents, comprises a floor space of some 10,000 square feet, besides extensive yards, and also includes a large brick building for storing and loading purposes. The branch at Featherston Street, which has about 15,000 square feet of space, is, like the Dixon Street yard, supplied with a platform weighbridge. The yards at Murphy Street are about half an acre in extent. The two latter places are designed to supply the residents of the central and Thorndon districts. Mr. W. J. Thompson is a native of Victoria, the others being New Zealand born, and all having been brought up to mercantile pursuits.
Others In The Fuel Trade.
Burns, Alexander, Wood and Coal Dealer, 49 Adelaide Road.
Callaghan, John, Wood and Coal Dealer, Grainger Street.
Carroll and Co., Wood and Coal Dealers, 94 Adelaide Road.
Dawson, Albert, Coal and Wood Dealer, Normanby Street, Newtown.
Duignan, Richard, Coal and Firewood Dealer, Molesworth Street and Lambton Quay. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Established 1878.
Ellis, John, Coal and Wood Dealer, Thorndon Quay. Private residence Thorndon Quay. Established 1895.
Fitzgerald, Michael, Wood and Coal Dealer, Molesworth Street.
Holm, Ferdinand, Wood and Coal Merchant, Cambridge Terrace. Bankers Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Adelaide Road.
Isaacs, Henry, Wood and Coal Dealer, Haining Street. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Established 1889.
Marshall, T., Coal and Wood Dealer, 110 Adelaide Road.
McCluggage, Edward, Wood and Coal Merchant Cottleville Terrace Established 1893.
Murray, John, Coal, Wood and Produce Dealers, Adelaide Road, Newtown. Bankers, Union Bank of Australia. Conducted by present proprietor since 1892.
Pearman, Henry Joseph, Wood and Coal Merchant, Riddiford Street Established 1895.
Rees, William, Coal and Wood Merchant, 31 Taranaki Street. Private residence 2 Kelvin Grove. Established 1895.
Saunders, John. Wood and Coal Merchant, 23 and 25 Arthur Street.
Scott, Emma G., Wood and Coal Dealer, Wallace Street. Established 1893.
Stratford, John, Coal and Wood Merchant, Taranaki Street. Bankers, Union Bank of Australia.
Watts, Job, Wood and Coal Merchant, Aro Street.