The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Drapery and General Importing Company of New Zealand, Limited. Drapers, Clothiers, House Furnishers, Fancy Goods and General Dealers, D.I.C., Panama and Brandon Streets, Wellington. Mr. Bendix Hallenstein (Chairman of Directors), Mr. A. A. Corrigan (Manager of Wellington Branch). Telephone 58. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Manager's private residence, Botanical Road. Head office, Dunedin. Branch, Cashel and Litchfield Streets, Christchurch. London house, D.I.C., Basinghall Street, E.O. Further information concerning this important Company will appear in the volumes for Otago and Canterbury. The Wellington branch of the Company was opened, by Mr. Corrigan, in 1890. The fine briok warchouse and show room—three stories in height—contain fully 50,000 square feet of floorage space. The Company import largely through the London House, the Wellington branch doing business throughout the Wellington District.
New Entrance to Showrooms [Connecting building Runs at Rear of Above Premises] Entrance to Original Warehouse
View of “The Economic”—showing extension of premises, opened 15th of March, 1896.
Since the foregoing was set up, this enterprising firm has secured the site now occupied as a music warehouse by Mr. G. Reichardt, whose lease expires in April, 1897, when it is the intention of the firm to remove the present wooden structure and erect a four-story brick building, to cope with their ever-increasing volume of business. The whole of the frontage will be utilised by the firm, and the new building will be one of the leading landmarks in Wellington, and will give that facility and accommodation which the present premises inadequately provide. That the purchasing public will appreciate Mr. Kirkcaldie's enterprise there can be no possible doubt. Wellingtonians have always been proud of this leading drapery establishment, and have taken their friends there in the fullest confidence of their being well served and thoroughly pleased. Even now, “Kirkcaldie's,” as it is familiarly termed, is one of the “sights” of Wellington. What it will be when a handsome four-story brick building stands beside the present structure readers must be left to judge for themselves. It is always a pleasure to see business conducted on a grand scale, and to know at the same time that the poorest cannot place themselves at any disadvantage by mingling their patronage with that of the wealthiest. If this is true of any house in the city it is that of Messrs. Kirkcaldie and Stains. Indeed, one need but pay a visit to the establishment at any hour of the day to be thoroughly convinced on this point. Purchasers of all classes—except those who like to run long accounts—may be seen there, all being attended to in their proper turn, and all being treated with the same civility and courtesy. Messrs. Kirkcaldie and Stains have done much to set a good example to the trading public of Wellington, and on that, and all other counts, well merit the enormous patronage they receive. A large increase of business must result from the extension of premise.
Hansen, Holm, Draper and Clothier, Adelaide Road, Newtown. Bankers, Colonial Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Hansen took over the business of R. Blair and Co. in 1895. The shop is centrally situated, with a frontage of about forty feet to Adelaide Road, well lighted by two large shop windows. The inside is nicely appointed, and a stock large enough to meet the increasing demands of the locality is kept. Mr. Hansen was born in Copenhagen, and educated there. Leaving school, he served two years in the officers' military school. He went from that to learn the drapery trade in Copenhagen. He afterwards went to London and served two years with Scott, Son, and Co. From there he went to Adelaide, South Australia. For seventeen years he was employed there with G. and R. Wills and Co. From Adelaide, Mr. Hansen came to New Zealand, and opened his present business. He is married, and has four children.
Rodgers, H. J., and Co. (H. J. Rodgers), Whole-sale Carpet, Linoleum and Linen Warehouseman, Manners Street. Wellington. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Manners Street. Mr. Rodgers was born in Wales, but went to Ireland when he was seven years old, and there he received his education. He learnt his business in Limerick, being apprenticed to the Limerick Warehouse Company. He completed his apprenticeship in 1875. and for the next three or four years worked as a journeyman. Coming to Wellington per ship “Zealandia” in 1879, Mr. Rodgers for fifteen years acted as manager of the carpet department of Te Aro House. The present business was established in 1893, the large building occupied by the firm being built of brick. It consists of two stories, and has a total floorage space of 4000 square feet. Messrs. Bodgers and Co. import everything required for the business from Home, chiefly from Kirkcaldie, the great manufacturing centre in Scotland.
Smith, Christopher, Draper and Clothier, 25 and 27 Cuba Street, Wellington, Telephone 276. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Oriental Bay. London office, 18 Woodward Street. Branches at Greymouth, Westport, Denniston, Nelson, Masterton, and Reefton. Mr. Smith, who has been most successful as a draper in the Colony, arrived in Wellington twenty-two years ago from Melbourne. Commencing business in a comparatively small way, the trade, under his control and skilful management, has developed by degrees to its present proportions, his business establishments numbering six besides the central premises in Wellington. The Cuba Street establishment consists of ttwo wooden buildings of two stories each, having a total floorage space of about 15,000 square feet, a packing room and a brick store being situated behind the main buildings. The Wellington House is the receiving and distributing centre of Mr. Smith's large colonial business. The portion of his large stock is imported direct from the best markets of the Old World, Mr. Smith's brother — a gentleman of wide experience — acting as buyer, at 78 Wood Street, London. These goods are all opened up in Wellington, and the branch shops are supplied with thoroughly assorted goods of the latest ppattern and finest quality. Of course Mr. Smith is also a large buyer in New Zealand, especially colonially manufactured goods, of which he keeps a very heavy stock. The value of the Cuba Street stock alone is from £25,000 to £30,000. The business is divided into many departments, including the Manchester, millinery, haberdashery and trimming, ribbons and lace, fancy goods, clothing, carpets and floorcloth, etc. Mr. Smith does a large cash trade, and his annual turnover runs into large figures. He employs over twenty-five hands in the shop, and about twenty in the workrooms connected with the Wellington establishment. As may be imagined, he has no time to spare for public duties, the whole of his energies being devoted to the management and control of the business which is carried on under his personal direction.
Veitch and Allan (Alexander Veitch and William Allan), Drapers, Clothiers, Tailors, Milliners, and Dressmakers, 97,99, and 101 Cuba Street, corner of Ingestre Street. Telephone 309. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand, Limited. Private residences: Mr. Veitch, Adelaide Road; Mr. Allan, Willis Street. Branch, Greytown North. London buyers, Messrs. R. T. Turnbull and Co., East India Avenue, E.C. Originally started in Courtenay Place, in 1880, the business of this firm was subsequently removed to Tory Street, and in 1888, owing to its rapid growth, the present large premises were secured in what is regarded as the leading retail street of the Empire City. The building, a two-story wooden structure, contains fully 20,000 square feet of floorage space; and twenty-five counter hands, besides some fifty or sixty in the manufacturing department, find regular employment therein. Messrs. Veitch and Allan are large importers from the best markets, and their trade extends throughout the Wellington provincial district. Their business is divided into suitable departments, including the Manchester, house furnishing, dress, mantle, fancy, hosiery, haberdashery, underclothing, men's mercery, clothing and tailoring, and dressmaking respectively. The partners hail from Peebleshir and Rossshire respectively, and were both apprenticed in Scotland Meeting in the same house in Wellington, they founded this la concern as above described.
Warnock and Adkin (Thomas Warnock and William George Adkin), Drapers, Clothiers, Milliners, Dressmakers and Tailors, Lambton Quay, Wellington Telephone 346. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residences : Mr. Warnock, Mulgrave Street; Mr. Adkin, Hawker Street. London buyers, H. L. Hurndall and Sons, 115 Fore Street. Branch, Palmerston North. This business was established early in 1885, and for eight years was conducted as Warnock, Kelly, and Adkin. Since the retirement of Mrs. Kelly, in 1893, it has been conducted as above. The large wood and brick premises occupied are two stories in height, and contain nearly 20,000 square feet of floorage space. The business is divided into the usual departments, the major part of the stock being imported through the firm's buyers in London.
Casey, J. J. and Co. (John James Casey), Drapers, 57 Cuba Street. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Established 1889, as Murray and Casey. Mr. Murray retired from the firm in 1895.
Cohen, Falk, Draper and Clothier, 90 Willis Street. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Established 1865.
David, Michael, Drapery and Fancy Goods Importer, Molesworth Street. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established 1893. Private residence, Jones Street.
Feltham, Mrs. Jane, Draper, Riddiford Street. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Mein Street.
Gosling, Mrs., Draper and Fancy Goods Dealer, 77 Tory Street. Estab. 1893.
Hatch, Frederick Charles, Draper and Fancy Goods Dealer, 52 Cuba Street and 55 Tory Street. Branch at Palmerston North. Private residence, Wright Street. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established 1879; conducted by Mr. Hatch since 1887.
Jacobson, Mrs. Frank, Draper and Milliner, Riddiford Street.
Lindberg, Johan Emil, Draper, 24 Cuba Street.
Marsh, Frederick, Draper, 73 Courtenay Place. Established 1894.
Pettie, James, Draper, 13 Cuba Street, Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Established 1898.
Pollock, James General Draper, Riddiford Street. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Established 1890.
Price and Ericsson (Mary Ann Price and Marian Emily Ericsson), Drapers, 31 and 33 Courtenay Place. Established 1892.
Ralph, Thomas, Draper and Clothier, 67 and 69 Cuba Street. Private residence, Webb Street. Business established 1888.
Stone, Henry, Draper, 32 and 34 Cuba Street. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Established 1884.
Walsh and Co. (Edward Joseph Walsh), Drapers and Clothiers, 75 Willis Street. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Established 1893. Private residence, Palmer Street.