Thomson, Lewis, and Co.
(Alexander Thomson and Alfred Maurice Lewis), Aerated Water, Cordial, and Golden Ale Manufacturers, “The Crystal Springs Mineral Water Works,” corner of Lorne and Argyle Streets, Wellington, corner of Bond and Crawford Streets, Dunedin, Campbell Place, Wanganui, and Otaki. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Branches at Wanganui and Otaki. The present proprietors acquired the Wellington business in 1887, and have conducted a large and growing trade up to the time of writing. The ground occupied by the Crystal Springs Mineral Water Works is fully half an acre in extent. Suitable buildings of wood and iron, some of them being two stories in height, have been erected, about half the ground being occupied. The other portion is available for storage and yard requirements. The factory, which is a hive of industry, is replete with the most modern plant for the production of all kinds of aerated waters, cordials, and non-alcoholic beverages. A three-horse-power Otto gas-engine supplies the motive power for driving the various appliances, which consist of one large soda-water machine, generators, steam bottler, and three hand bottling machines. Messrs. Thomson, Lewis and Co. are direct importers of the patent bottles used, which are so well known; they also import the various classes of chemicals necessary for the successful manufacture of their waters. They have established business relations with some of the best English and Continental firms, and are able to obtain the goods they require at the lowest cost. They keep a large staff of hands, and three vans are kept going in the City. Their golden non-alcoholic ale has been in such demand that a special plant has been put down to help in its production. As manufacturers, they stand in the front rank, their soda water being considered of the best and purest quality made in the colonies, and their goods being freely recommended by the
Mr. A. M. Lewis.
medical profession. This firm have secured large and valuable contracts, such as the supply of the vessels of the Union Steam Shipping Company, which they now hold for the third term of three years, and the Wellington Hospital for the fifth year. Mr. Lewis, the resident partner whose portrait appears herein, was born in London, where he served seven years to the trade. Coming to Auckland in 1880, per ship “Lady Jocelyn,” he came on to Wellington and took a situation in the works of which he is now one of the proprietors. After two months he was sent to Nelson to manage a branch of the business, remaining three years. He was afterwards in business in Dunedin, but sold out and returned to Wellington, accepting a position as working manager of the Wellington Aerated Water Company, which was subsequently purchased by him, in conjunction with Mr. Thomson.