The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Fitchett, John, Coachbuilder and Wheelwright, Wordsworth Street and Ohiro Road, Wellington. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Fitchett was born in Bradby, Derbyshire, England and came out to the Colony among the early settlers, arriving in 1841 per ship “London” He learned his trade in Wellington, and page 609 has graduated in every branch of the business. Few have had a longer or more complete insight into the minutest details of the trade than the subject of this notice. He determined early in life that he would learn to perform every operation with thoroughness, and his success as a tradesman is largely due to this decision. The business, which is one of the oldest in Wellington, was founded in 1860, since which time it has been carried on with a large amount of success. The extensive premises at the corner of Wordsworth Street and Ohire Road include buildings of wood and iron, of one story in height, and containing about 4000 square feet of floorage space. Mr. Fitchett has all needful machinery for the prosecution of a large trade, among which may be mentioned drilling, splitting, and tyre-bending machines. In order to be in a position to supply vehicles of the latest designs from the most durable materials, Mr. Fitchett imports direct from leading British and American houses the special woods and fittings needed. Mr. Fitchett employs on an average thirteen competent workmen to assist in the business. Buggies and waggonettes are among the specialties of his trade, and these are turned out to suit the means of his customers, cither plain and substantial, or finished in the most perfect style of the art. Mr. Fitchett has a large number of old customers who have dealt with him for years, and are perfectly satisfied with the character and quality of the work which he executes. His steady adhesion to principle has won for him many friends, who rejoice with him in his success as a business man.