The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Architects, Civil Engineers, Etc. — Including—Architects, Civil and Mining Engineers, Draughtsmen, Surveyors, Etc
Architects, Civil Engineers, Etc.
Including—Architects, Civil and Mining Engineers, Draughtsmen, Surveyors, Etc.
Chatfield, Willam Charles, Architect, 26 Lambton Quay, Wellington. Telephone, 598. Private residence, Island Bay. Mr. Chatfield, who is the descendant of an old Sussex family, was born at Greatham House, Parham Park, Sussex. He was educated at Brixton, Surrey, and came to the Colony in 1867. For the first five years of his life in New Zealand, Mr. Chatfield was engaged in architectural works in Wellington. In 1872 he joined the public service as chief draughtsman and assistant paymaster and engineer in the Engineers' Department, Wellington Province. From this time, till the abolition of the Provincial form of Government in 1876, Mr. Chatfield continued to hold these offices, and during the period he designed many of the principal bridges in the district, and was engaged on the Thorndon reclamation and other works. He commenced his present practice in 1876, since which time he has been well-known as a successful architect. Mr. Chatfield has designed and superintended the erection of many substantial and important buildings—the Wellington Opera House, among others—in and around the city and in various parts of New Zealand. Two of the latest may be named; the warehouse of Messrs. E. W. Mills and Co., Ltd., and the offices of the Evening Post.
Crichton, William, Exchange Buildings, 12 Grey Street. Telephone 342. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Is a native of Cornwall, England, and studied architecture under James Hicks, of Redruth. Arrived 1879 per ship “Chili” He fortunately secured an appoinment in the Colonial Architects Department, where he designed several of the largest public buildings in the Colony. After twelve years he was retrenched, at a time of cutting down in the public service. He established the present business in the year 1891. Since this time Mr. Crichton has designed and superintended the erection of a large number of private dwellings, shops and warehouses in and around the city. His plans for the Free Public Library were awarded the prize, notwithstanding there were twenty-two competitors, and the building was carried out and completed under his able supervision. Mr. Crichton also succeeded in getting his plans for the Palmerston North Courthouse accepted. He has also designed and completed the Boys' Institute on the reclaimed land, the Salvation Army Rescue Home in Cuba Street, and the Salvation Army Hall in Jessie Street. He holds the position of secretary to the Association of Architects of Wellington.
Lambert, Thomas Stoddart, Architect and Building Surveyor, 6 Featherston Street, Wellington. Mr. Lambert was born in Selkirk, Scotland, where he served his articles. Soon afterwards he went to Edinburgh—the Athens of the North—and diligently pursued the study of architecture in that city of many beautiful structures, to enable him to practise the art which was to be his profession. After much touring he went to London, and after a comparatively brief residence there, embarked for New Zealand. Arriving in Wellington early in 1866, when the Titokowaru rebellion was at its height, he settled with his brother—one of the original farmers—in the Rangitikei district. Very little building was done for some years, on account of the unsettled state of native affairs, and Mr. Lambert gave much of his time to drill and volunteer matters. When confidence was again restored, he designed and had carried out, many buildings in various towns and districts in the north of the Wellington Province, but there being very little scope, he returned to Wellington early in 1874, and finding business still dull in the Empire City, he removed to Christchurch. Shortly after his arrival in that city, Mr. Lambert entered the office of Mr. F. Strouts, M.R.I.B.A., in which office he remained about three years. During the last year Mr. Lambert personally surveyed the entire city of Christchurch, and measured every building. He afterwards compiled and lithographed a map of the city, showing buildings, etc., and with Mr. Strouts, published it, a copy of which is now the standard official map of the Corporation. Early in 1877, Mr. Lambert recommenced business on his own account, and since that time many of the principal permanent buildings in Christchurch were designed by him and erected under his supervision. Of these, some of the most well-known stone buildings in the City of Christchurch and the adjacent towns may be mentioned as follows:—Morten's buildings, costing about £30,000; the Synagogue, £4000; Sydenham Wesleyan Church, £3200; Y.M.C.A. buildings, £3150; Inglis' business premises, £4600; Messrs. Black, Beattie and Co., and G. Bonnington's premises, £5200; Downes' buildings, £2100; Thompson, Shannon and Co.'s warehouse, £2200; Suckling Bros.' premises, £5300; Duncan's buildings, £8500; the Opera House, £10,100; and for the Bank of N. Z. banking premises at Oxford, also brick and stone bank and residence at Kaiapoi, £3400; the Junction Hotel, Bangiora, £4500; Christchurch 1882 International Exhibition buildings, £11,000. Mr. Lambert has also designed and supervised a very large number of residences, schools, churches, halls, warehouses, factories, business premises, shops, etc., and having been in practice for thirty years in this Colony, must now be held fully conversant with colonial wants and requirements for nearly every kind of buildings. Mr. Lambert has made the accoustical requirements for halls, churches, etc., his special study, as also of sanitation and ventilation. Some of the largest halls, churches, schools, and workrooms in the Colony have been efficiently ventilated by him, his experience and success in this direction serving him well. (See various Press reports in his possession). His methods of doing so are claimed to be new, simple, inexpensive, and natural, and to result in completely withdrawing the impure air, and supplying ample fresh air equally distributed throughout the building, without causing draught or discomfort. The following facts might also be stated in connection with the usual conduct of Mr. Lambert's business. With regard to Christchurch contracts alone, his consecutive contract number in 1890 was 339; and these contracts represent the expenditure of about £226,500. This large quantity of work was carried out without litigation or the single bankruptcy of a contractor. His designs have proved so perfect and complete, that almost invariably his contracts are finished without extras, and their total cost is usually somewhat under his written estimate previously given. As bearing out these statements, Mr. Lambert holds upwards of sixty most satisfactory testimonials which were submitted page 582 for the writer's perusal, from clients and firms for whom he has carried out contracts. Two of these, which he has received from the Education Board of the District of North Canterbury, state that the buildings carried out during a period of four-and-a-half years under his supervision were completed for over £800 less than the estimates given when his designs were submitted for their approval, and that they were finished in a manner that was highly approved of by the Board. In Cristchurch Mr. Lambert took a prominent part in public matters. He was three times returned as a member of the City Council, where he acted as chairman of the Public Works Committee, as also of the Sanitary and Bye-laws Committee. He also took a prominent part in framing the Building Bye-law, “His professional knowledge and sound sense enabling him to tender good practical service to the ratepayers.” He was also four times returned as a member of the Waimakariri Board for the City. During his residence in Christchurch, Mr. Lambert took an active part in the conduct of various societies and institutions, being for some years a member of the board of the Philosophical Institute, and also of the Canterbury Society of Arts, etc., etc. The promoters of the Christchurch International Exhibition retained his services in connection with the designing of the necessary buildings, which were also supervised by him. The various contracts for the Exhibition buildings were completed within contract time, and the promoters were well satisfied with the economical and expeditious manner in which their interests were forwarded. In connection with the Exhibition, Mr. Lambert received a personal fee of £500, also a gold and silver medal, and so thoroughly gratified were the promoters with the design of the building and its erection, that Mr. Lambert was commissioned by Mr. Joubert to prepare plans on a similar principle for the Calcutta Exhibition, which he had made arrangements to hold in that city. Mr. Lambert was awarded a medal and certificate from the Colonial and Indian Exhibition at London in 1886 for his architectural designs. In 1887, in association with his position as an old city councillor, Mr. Lambert designed and illuminated in an original style characteristic of the various interests of the Colony, an address to Her Majesty the Queen. Her Majesty, through Lord Knutsford, was pleased to send a despatch to the Mayor, through His Excellency the Governor, giving her opinion as follows:—“Her Majesty has commanded me to desire you to convey to the Mayor and Council, her thanks for their loyal congratulations and good wishes. Her Majesty has specially admired the taste displayed in the very graceful illuminations of this handsomely-framed address.—I have the honour, etc., Knutsford.” In response to advertisements for designs for the certificate of award in connection with the New Zealand and South Seas Exhibition, Dunedin, fifty were sent in from architects and artists in the Australian colonies, and the design by Mr. Lambert, under the motto “Tena Koutou,” was unanimously awarded first place by the Commissioners, and by the Fine Arts Committee. While it was being lithographed, a considerable number of the best details were omitted from the reproduction, yet it was very favourably commented on by the entire colonial press on account of its originality, ornate New Zealand characteristics, industries depicted, and its artistic merit. (For description see “Official Record of the New Zealand and South Seas Exhibition,” p. 373). Mr. Lambert was awarded the only first award in the colonies for “Architectural drawings, being for “Designs of buildings for business and other purposes,” at the New Zealand and South Seas Exhibition (see Official Record, p. 292). He also took a prominent part at the above Exhibition, acting as a juror of the building stones of the colonies, and testing them in various ways, including analysis, his geological and practical knowledge standing him in good stead (for results see Official Record, p.p. 367–373.) From 1890 to 1893, in his branch business at Dunedin, Mr. Lambert carried out extensive alterations and repairs to the First Church, as also the ventilation, the works entailing an expenditure of about £2000. The various contracts were also all completed under his estimates. Mr. Lambert was also architect in the re-building of Queen's Buildings for Sir Francis and James Smith, as well as for many brick buildings and wooden residences in Dunedin, Timaru, and elsewhere. In 1893 Mr. Lambert returned once more to Wellington, having great faith in the future of the Empire City. He holds that it is to be built, and many existing edifices re-built. Among other buildings he has had erected, may be mentioned that at the corner of Manners and Cornhill Streets. This structure is a three-storied business premises in brick, with vaulted cellarage throughout its entire area, the design, construction, and general details throughout being original. He has also designed and had carried out under his direction several residences, etc., in this City, and also in the provincial district. He is now the vice-president of the Wellington Association of Architects. A recent press report says:—“Mr. Lambert is widely known as an honourable, careful, faithful man, holding no second place for ability in his profession, and it is to be hoped he may long be spared to add to the adornment of our cities by the talented exercise of his art.”
House belonging to Mr. J. C. Edwards, built, from plans by Mr. F. Penty.
Richardson, Reardon and Co., Ltd., (The Hen. G. F. Richardson, managing director), Surveyors, Grey Street, Wellington. Telephone, 633. P.O. Box, 172. This business was established in 1893.
Seaton, Everard, C.E., Authorised and Licensed Surveyor, 15 Featherston Street, Wellington. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand, Private residence, Molesworth Street. In 1882, Mr. Seaton joined Mr. J. R. King, of Timaru, in business as Civil Engineers and Surveyors, and two years later he removed to Wellington, accepting employment under the Wellington and Manawatu Railway Company. Mr. Seaton surveyed and laid out about one-half of the Company's line, and in 1887 commenced to practise his profession in the Empire City. Since establishing himself in this business, Mr. Seaton has for four years filled the position of Engineer to the Petone Borough Council, and is still the engineer in charge of the Petone drainage works.
National Mutual Buildings—designed and erected by Mr. Thos. Turnbull.
Mr. Jacob Joseph's Building, designed and erected by Mr. Thos. Turnbull.
Photographic Establishment, Market and Kearney Streets, San Francisco, designed and erected by Mr. Thos. Turnbull.
Ward, Thomas, Assoc. M. Inst., C.E., Authorised and Licensed Surveyor and Civil Engineer, 4 Grey Street, Wellington. Telephone, 555. Mr Ward is one of the oldest surveyors at present in business in Wellington. For five years before establishing the present business, in 1882, he occupied the position of Assistant Engineer to the Wellington City Corporation. On the 24th of May, 1892, Mr. Ward was elected an associate member of the Institute of Civil Engineers. He was educated for his profession at the New England Works, Great Northern Railway, Messrs. Ransom and Sons' ironworks, and was an engineering student at University College, London.
Other Architects, Civil Engineers, Etc.
Beere, Edward Holroyd, Surveyor, 6 Lambton Quay. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence. Hill Street.
Campion, Edwin James, Surveyor, Grey Street.
Charlesworth, Joshua, Architect, Grey Street. Private residence, Buckle St. Luff, Charles Henry, Architect, corner of Lambton Quay and Panama, Struct. Private residence, Vogeltown.
Macgregor, Robert Roy, Architect, National Mutual Buildings, Customhouse Quay. Private residence, Evelyn Place. Established 1893.
Mason and Richmond (A. P. Mason and R. R. Richmond), Authorised Surveyors, Panama Street.
O'Dea, James, Architect, Harbour Street. Private residence, 39 Adelaide Road. Established 1882.
Schwartz, George Guido, Architect, Lambton Quay. Private residence, Hawker Street.
Worger, Christopher, Architect, Clyde Quay.