Chemists And Druggists.
Chemist, Dentist and Public Vaccinator, Te Aro Dispensary, corner of Manners and Herbert Streets, Wellington. Telegraphic address, “Brittain, Wellington.” Telephone 513. Bankers, Union Bank of Australia. Private residence, Ingestre Street. The business which for the last twenty years has been so successfully carried on by Mr. Brittain is one of the oldest in the Colony. The shop is one of the very few which have never been used for any but the purposes for which they were built. It has, of course, been largely increased in size and quite altered in appearance, for it was originally octagonal and so small as to be appropriately named “The Pill Box.” The shop was built and the business established by Mr. C. D. Barraud in the early “forties,” as a branch of his main business at the other end. Mr. Barraud sold “The Pill Box” to his assistant, Mr. A. H. Owen, who changed the name to that by which it is now so well known, “Te Aro Dispensary.” Subsequently Mr. Owen also sold out to his assistant, Mr. F. Foster, who met his death by an accident, and whose executors sold to Mr. Pritchard in November, 1874. It was about this time that Mr. Brittain sold his business in Auckland and came to Wellington, establishing himself on Lambton Quay, opposite the Union Bank. Two years later Mr. Brittain bought out Mr. Pritchard—both business and freehold premises—and made the Te Aro Dispensary his headquarters, suitably enlarging the premises for that purpose. Until 1881, the Lambton Quay business was carried on as a branch. More
Te Aro Dispensary.
than half-a-century ago a “roaring trade” was carried on at “The Pill Box,” and, though in later years, competition has somewhat reduced both the turnover and the percentage of profits, the Te Aro Dispensary is still a fine business, and both the establishment and its proprietor are more than ordinarily popular. Some of the former proprietors are still living and well known in Wellington. Mr. Barraud, the founder, whose picture and career are given elsewhere, is enjoying a well earned competence and the respect of all classes. Mr. Owen is unknown to the younger generation, but the “old folks” remember him well; and, though he lives in a distant part of the province, he occasionally comes into the city and makes it convenient to call in at the old shop where he so early made his fortune. Mr. Pritchard died at Hawera a few years ago. Mr. Brittain does a large prescribing business, for which department he is peculiarly well fitted, having been assistant to two medical men at Home. From a long list of proprietary medicines, the following may be mentioned as commanding a large and ready sale:—Brittain's Headache Powders, Nervine (for toothache), Irish Moss, Blood Purifier, Neuralgia Tonic, White Worm Powders, Vermifuge, Rheumatic Liniment, Antibilious and Liver Pills and the Corn and Wart Cure. On the efficacy of all these and many others Mr. Brittain rests his reputation as a chemist of many years experience; and the patrons of Te Aro Dispensary know well the advantages of being able to rely on the opinion and follow the advice of one who so undoubtedly has at heart the real welfare of the community. Mr. Brittain was born at Walsall, in the Black Country, a few miles from Birmingham. He was educated at Queen Mary's Grammar School, and articled to his brother-in-law, Mr. J. T. Bailey, chemist and druggist of Walsall, who disposed of his business to Mr. Hobson, the apprentice thus becoming junior assistant. Mr. Bailey having recommenced business at Brownhills in the same neighbourhood, Mr. Brittain accepted the post of assistant. In this position he had a rare opportunity of gaining experience, for, his employer being laid up for a long time, the whole management of the business fell upon him. At this time Mr. Brittain was preparing for the medical profession, but circumstances altered his course, and he was obliged to abandon the intention. For some two years, however, he was a medical assistant, first to Doctor North and afterwards to Dr. Baxter. In 1864 he decided to take a pleasure trip round the world, booking in the first instance to Dunedin per ship “Ramsay.” Continuing his voyage as far as Auckland he was within a week of his arrival there offered a position by Mr. John Welsman, now of Napier, but then well known in the city of the North. The assistant again became manager through the illness of his employer; and soon after Mr. Welsman's recovery, Mr. Brittain began business on his own account in Victoria Street, thus settling all question of completing his pleasure trip. This was in 1865, and he did fairly well for nine years, when he came to Wellington as mentioned above. While in Auckland Mr. Brittain was married to Miss Short, a daughter of the late Mr. John Short, farmer, of Waikato. Of their family of thirteen, four boys and six girls survive, three boys having died in early infancy. Notwithstanding the confining nature of Mr. Brittain's business he has found time for a great deal of honorary work, all of which has been performed with a faithfulness well-deserving of more general emulation. For eight years he was a member of the Pharmacy Board, of which he was for three years deputy-registrar; and for some ten or twelve years he has been an examiner under the Board. In church work he has always taken an active part, and been ever ready to undertake any duties, for the thorough performance of which his business left him sufficient leisure. He began when a youth in the choir at Walsall, where he also played the violin in the church orchestra. At Brownhills he began as alto soloist and was for four years organist and choirmaster. For five years he occupied the position of organist at the old Wesleyan Church in High Street, Auckland. Since
1878 Mr. Brittain has been steward of the principal Wesleyan Church in Wellington. Three years later he was appointed treasurer, and for the last twelve years he has been a trustee. A member and organist of the United Service Lodge in Auckland, Mr. Brittain is now an unattached master mason. In every way, Mr. Brittain is a credit to his profession and a worthy citizen; a most unostentatious giver, and a generous, genuine friend. On this point the writer speaks from an extended and intimate acquaintance with his subject, and with a full consciousness of his ability to prove much more than he has said.
Drummond and Co.
(Arthur J. Bellows and Walter J. Petherwick), Chemists and Manufacturers of Aerated Waters and Cordials, 80 Adelaide Road, Wellington. Branch, Riddiford Street. This business was established in 1894. The firm have extensive premises and machinery in the chemical manufacturing department, especially in the manufacture of pills. They are said to be the largest manufacturers in that line in Australasia. One of the special features of their business, which is also conducted on a very large scale, is the importation of proprietary medicines manufactured in England, America, etc., of which they have always an assorted and extensive stock. Another novelty in the manufactory is a machine invented for making what is known as medicated pastilles, in which Messrs. Drummond and Co. do a large and extensive trade. This firm have large and extensive works at the rear of their store in Adelaide Road, where they carry on the manufacture of ærated waters, pure fruit cordials, etc. The firm purchase the very best material in the market, and employ them in the manufacture of cordials, and it is no wonder that the latter are sought after and hold such a high position throughout the district of Wellington. A special line in which this firm trades is the manufacture of the well-known and popular temperance drink, “Phosphade,” which is a powerful nerve and brain tonic. Another branch of their business is the printing department, where they publish that well-known paper, the Newtown Advocate. They have a compact printing plant, and besides doing all the work for two newspapers, print all the labels, etc., used in the dispensing and chemical departments in their business. The business is under the personal supervision and management of Mr. Arthur J. Bellows, who was born in Nelson on the 9th of March, 1866. He came to Wellington with his parents when quite young. He is a thoroughly practical man in his business, having served his apprenticeship with Messrs. Kempthorne, Prosser and Co., the well known druggists. When he had finished his time, he acted as salesman in the employ of that firm, remaining with them in all some eight years. After this he travelled for some eight and a half years for Messrs. Sharland and Co. Both members of the firm are young, active, and enterprising, and bid fair to ultimately establish an enterprise of colonia importance.
FitzGerald, William Crothers,
Consulting Chemist, Surgeon-dentist, and Public Vaccinator, the Central Pharmacy, corner of Lambton Quay and Willis Street, Wellington. Telephone 188. Private residence, Wellington Terrace. Agents all over the Colony for the sale of proprietary articles. Mr. FitzGerald was born at Weedon, in Northamptonshire, and was educated at Grove Park School, Wrexham, North Wales. He is a brother of the Rev. Edward Maurice FitzGerald, M.A., Vicar of St. Paul's, Walsall, Staffordshire, and is descended from an ancient Irish family, his father being cousin to the famous Knight of Kerry, Sir Maurice FitzGerald. Mr. Wm. C. FitzGerald learned his profession with the late Mr. William Edwards, of Denbigh, pharmaceutical chemist, completing his term in 1869. He was subsequently appointed assistant to the well-known physician and surgeon, Dr. Solly, of Westminster Circus, London, afterwards purchasing that gentleman's practice and dispensary, which he conducted for some time in conjunction with his brother, the late Dr. John FitzGerald. After selling the business in 1876, Mr. FitzGerald accepted the appointment of surgeon-in-charge of the “Rakaia,” commanded by Captain Friston, bound for New Zealand. Having been engaged by the New Zealand Shipping Company for the return trip, Mr. FitzGerald, almost immediately after the “Rakaia's” arrival at Wellington in 1877, joined the favourite ship “Waipa,” commanded by Captain Brown, and returned to England acting in the same capacity as on the “Rakaia.” His conduct on both trips gained for him the goodwill of all on board, and at the conclusion of the outward trip he received a gratifying letter from the passengers of the “Rakaia,” thanking him and testifying to his care and attention during the passage from England. On the return journey, another testimonial was presented to Mr. FitzGerald, signed by Captain Brown and the passengers of the “Waipa,” and couched in the following flattering terms:—“The good ship ‘Waipa,’ English Channel, July 19th, 1877.—Mr. Wm. C. FitzGerald.—Dear Sir,—We, the undersigned, passengers on board the good ship ‘Waipa,’ from New Zealand to London, cannot think of parting without expressing to you, as surgeon of this vessel, our gratitude to and esteam for one who has ever been ready, as a friend or medical adviser, to do all in his power for the general good. It rarely happens to be the good fortune of a passenger ship to have a medical man who combines the two qualities to such a degree; and in looking back on our long voyage, we can truly say you were the friend of all. By the good providence of God we have been mercifully preserved from any serious sickness, but our little ailments have always met with prompt and continual attention from you. If the knowledge of our unqualified good wishes and sincere regard will afford you any gratification, be assured they are yours.” Mr. FitzGerald made a short stay at Home, and then came out to New Zealand again as surgeon to the ship “Orari,” commanded by Captain Mosey, and on reaching Wellington in 1878, he began his colonial career. For two years he was manager for the late Mr. Jacob Monteith, consulting chemist, of Manners Street. He then established himself in business on his own account, and afterwards purchased his late employer's business from the Public Trustee. This he conducted very successfully for ten years, at the end of that time disposed of it, and took a trip to England, combining business with pleasure. While at the Antipodes he visited the principal cities on the Continent, taking special interest in all matters appertaining to his own profession. He there also selected the handsome fittings and magnificent stock with which he opened the present business upon his return to Wellington in 1890. The Central Pharmacy, occupying, as it does, one of the finest business sites in Wellington City, being situated at the busiest corner of Lambton Quay and Willis Street, is noted for the excellence and completeness of its stock. The building is lofty and commodious, and the fittings most elaborate. The consulting room and business office are conveniently placed close to the dispensary, and behind are large stores well filled with drugs and all surgical appliances. The Pharmacy is largely patronised by shipowners for replenishing their surgeries for sea, as well as by the medical profession and general public. Mr. FitzGerald, as surgeon-dentist, adopts a painless system of extracting teeth, and is exceptionally skilful in ear syringing, performing this operation delicately, and in a way which gives no pain or discomfort to the patient: so different from the excruciating process ordinarily adopted. The cost is most moderate in both cases, being fixed on the lowest scale. A feature of Mr. FitzGerald's business which has made him very popular, is the fact that the Central Pharmacy not only
contains every possible luxury in the direction of toilet, perfumery, etc., but its proprietor is always prepared to give consultations and advice in addition to medicine at the small fee of 2s. 6d. In this method really rests the secret of Mr. FitzGerald's success in business. He is a friend to his clients. Mr. FitzGerald's list of proprietary articles and medicines is very extensive, and he holds numerous testimonials certifying to their efficacy and to his surgical skill. Amongst many others may be mentioned his new Blood Purifier, which commands a very large sale at all seasons of the year; his Anti-sea-sickness Remedy, acknowledged to be invaluable in rendering a sea trip a pleasure to those who are bad sailors; his Orange Saline, a celebrated beverage containing all the qualities claimed by the best advertised fruit salt, only offered at a much smaller cost; and his new Chocolate Worm Tablets, a preparation that has met with marvellous results and obtained for the proprietor a wide reputation. All of Mr. Wm. C. FitzGerald's proprietary articles and medicines are obtainable from agents all over the Colony, which affords the strongest evidence of their popularity, and goes to prove that Mr. FitzGerald's efforts to relieve, at a small cost, the pains and ills of the community, have been widely appreciated by rich and poor alike. Mr. FitzGerald's remarkably successful career in business is largely attributed by himself to his experience as medical officer on ocean vessels. There can, however, be no doubt that his energy and perseverance in enterprise have been mainly instrumental in bringing him to the standing which he now occupies. In conclusion, it may be added that Mr. FitzGerald is well esteemed in social and other circles, and that he is an active member in the Masonic world, holding at present the office of Junior Warden in the Leinster Lodge of Freemasons
Kempthorne, Prosser and Co.'s New Zealand Drug Company
(Limited). Head office, Stafford Street, Dunedin. Wellington branch, corner of Victoria and Willeston Streets. Telephone 18, Bankers, Union Bank of Australia. Branch manager, Mr. Alexander Low. This important New Zealand Company, which has branches at Auckland and Christchurch, will be fully referred to in the volume of the Cyclopedia for Otago.
Chemist and Druggist, 177 Lambton Quay, Wellington, Telephone 272. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This business was founded by the late Mr. Bishop in the early days of settlement of Port Nicholson. Mr. Mee, who came to New Zealand by the ship “Alpaca” in 1863, purchased it in 1879 and has conducted it since that year. For nine years before coming to Wellington, Mr. Mee was in business at Hokitika. He has long taken a leading part as a member of the Pharmacy Board, and has filled the position of president.
Orr, David Thomas,
The City Pharmacy, 49 Lambton Quay, Wellington. Telephone 504. Bankers, Colonial Bank of New Zealand. The business was established about 1875, and Mr. Orr purchased it in 1893. By diligence and ability he has largely increased the volume of trade. Mr. Orr has had considerable experience in the Colony. He was in partnership with Mr. Henderson in Grey Street, Auckland, for six years. Mr. Orr has several special preparations, among which are Orr's wild cherry cough and lung syrup, and Orr's camomile and dandelion pills. The trade is purely local. The premises occupied are of wood, two stories in neight, with a floorage space of 1600 square feet.
Sharland and Co., Limited
(J. H. Owen, manager), Wholesale Druggists, Manufacturers and Importers, Willeston Street, Wellington. Head Office, Auckland. Cable address, Reichleich; code Abc
; telephone 409; P.O. Box 77. Bankers, Colonial Bank of New Zealand. Private residence of manager, 42 Wellington Terrace. London House, Sharland and Co., 43 London Wall, E.C. This large manufacturing and importing concern was originally established in Auckland in 1865 by the late Mr. J. C. Sharland. The Company was formed about twelve years ago, and was registered as a limited company at a later date. The Wellington branch was only recently established, temporary premises on Lambton Quay having been taken and occupied by the firm in 1890. It soon became evident, however, that more commodious and substantial premises were necessary for the conduct of this growing business, and Mr. Clere, the well-known architect, was instructed to prepare plans and specifications for a large brick building. This was done, and the present handsome building of four stories, with about 15,000 square feet of floorage space, was erected by Messrs. Edwards and Palmer, the successful tenderers. Communication between the various floors is carried on by means of a powerful lift, worked by a gas-engine. The ground floor of the building is of concrete, and is used for the purposes of storing bulk goods, dispensing bottles, etc. This storage place is entered from Willeston Street, and the entrance is sufficiently large to admit of carts having access to the premises for the purpose of loading up. On this floor also the packing is done. The first floor is devoted to the offices of the firm, and here, too, are a number of glass cases containing surgical instruments, photographic materials, perfumes, electric belts, trusses, surgical bandages and dressings, plasters, and a vast number of articles which cannot be particularised here. On this same floor, divided by a glass partition from floor to ceiling, access is had to the drug-room. This is divided into two departments, drugs and chemicals on the one side and fluids on the other, or, in the phraseology of the trade, the wet room and dry
Sharland and Co.'s Buildings, Willeston Street, Wellington.
Patent Medicines And Sundries Department (Messrs. Sharland and Co.)
Drug Department (Messrs. Sharland and Co.)
room. These are presided over by men of experience, who are well qualified to undertake the handling of the large variety of drugs and chemicals committed to their care. The second floor is devoted to patent medicines and sundries. Special convenience in the shape of a large number of drawers alphabetically arranged is provided for the storage of these goods. “A place for everything and everything in its place” is an old motto which is well exemplified in the manner in which the large and varied stock of this department is kept. Brushware, combs, and sponges in large variety, silk, elastic, and india-rubber goods, batteries, electric and galvanic, toilet soap, perfumery, nursery, and a host of other requisites. On the third floor bales of corks and materials for cordial makers and bottlers are kept, together with a large stock of chemists' shop bottles, glassware, drugs in bales and original parcels. The factory is situated in Auckland, where is manufactured the firm's celebrated Moa Brand of Baking Powder, which is deservedly popular throughout the Colony, and in which a very large trade is done. They also manufacture Blue, Blacking, Tomato and Worcester Sauces, Fluid Magnesia, Candied Lemon, Orange, and Citron Peel, Cordials, Vinegar, Essences, and many other articles of domestic use. In addition to these, Tinctures, Perfumes, and a large number of Pharmaceutical Preparations are also made by an efficient staff under the skilled direction of Mr. J. O. Seelgren, a chemist of high qualifications and long experience. The Company's trade, as far as the Wellington branch is concerned, extends to Napier, New Plymouth, the whole of the Wellington district, and the West Coast of the South Island. The firm are possessors of extensive acid works at Tauranga, where is carried on the manufacture of Sulphuric, Muriatic, and other acids. The sulphur supply is obtained locally on the Company's sulphur fields. Messrs. Sharland and Co. are agents for Parke, Davis and Co., Detroit; Stearns and Co., Detroit; Johnson and Johnson, New York; Este and Sons, New York; Northrop and Lyman Company, Toronto; A J. White and Co., London; Howard, Lloyd and Co., Leicester, Arnold and Sons, London; Antexema Company, Brookes' “Monkey Brand” soap, Cooper's sheep dip, Faulding and Co., Ade[gap — reason: illegible]
ide; J. O. Ayer and Co. and C. L. Hood and Co., Lowell, Mas.; G. B. Kent and Sons, London; Leconte and Co., Coleman and Sons, Allen and Hanbury, Burroughs, Wellcome and Co., Mother Mary Joseph Aubert, and many others too numerous to mention. The Auckland house publishes, under the editorship of Mr. T. H. Ellis, what is considered, without exception, to be the best trade journal in the Australasian colonies, of which there is a free circulation of over 2000 copies per month.
Mr. J. H. Owen,
the local manager, is also a director of the Company. He was born in Liverpool, and received his education at the Grammar School at Bala. He was apprenticed to Messrs. Clay, Dod and Case, wholesale druggists, of Liverpool, and subsequently managed the export department of Messrs. Ferris and Co., wholesale chemists, of Bristol. Mr. Owen came out to the Colony per ship “Piako,” arriving in Auckland in 1883. He at once joined the firm of Sharland and Co., and was promoted in 1893 to the management of the branch at Wellington, where he is deservedly popular. He is chairman of the Commercial Travellers' Association, and president of the Central Pharmaceutical Association.–
Sutherland, John Finlaison,
Thorndon Pharmacy, 209 Lambton Quay. Telephone 507. Is a native of Glasgow, and reached the Colony from London, per “City of Sparta,” in 1880. He was apprenticed in New Zealand to Mr. T. A. White, chemist and dentist, of Outram, Taieri, Otago, completing his term in 1891. Mr. Sutherland as a boy had a natural inclination for the profession which he has selected. He went to his duties with a determination to excel, and having decided that he would qualify as a chemist, he declined to divert his mind with dentistry, and gave his entire energies to the dispensing line. His perseverance was in due course rewarded by the ability to pass the requisite examinations with credit to his employer, as well as to himself. On leaving Outram he went to Dunedin, where he entered the Grand Pharmacy of Mr. S. S. Bannister, who soon learned to repose entire confidence in his employee, which was shown by entrusting the latter with the manage ment of his business during the proprietor's absence. Mr. Sutherland has had considerable experience in the profession, having been at different times manager of several businesses in Dunedin, and two in other parts of Otago. The present business is of long standing, having been established about 1874; the present proprietor assumed control early in 1894. The premises are large and imposing, affording a total floor space of about 3000 square feet. The building is of galvanized iron, and is two stories in height. The pharmacy is handsomely fitted up with glass show cases on all sides, as well as on the counter, Mr. Sutherland is a direct importer of drugs, patent medicines, toilet requisites and perfumery. The drugs used by him in dispensing are of the very best quality obtainable, and are true to name. As the science of dispensing has been his life study, all prescriptions sent out may be relied upon for accuracy. Mr. Sutherland has a number of preparations which he is introducing with advantage to his numerous customers, and at no distant date there is reason to believe they will be largely in demand. One of his preparations is known as Circassian pomade: it is of most delightful aroma, and will be found very useful. Another is the Circassian hair cream, which is claimed to be a valuable specific for baldness as well as greyness Mr. Sutherland also prepares a carbolic dentice for cleaning the teeth effectually. He has also some veterinary medicines, which are considered to be of great utility. The trade is chiefly local, although there are a good many country customers who use the establishment.
Turner and Co.
(Donald Langley Turner and William Parker), Manufacturing and Dispensing Chemists and Druggist, Medical Hall, 28 Manners Street, Wellington. Telephone 147. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residences: Mr. Turner, 39 Austin Street; Mr. Parker, 28 Buller Street. Agent for Australia, Messrs. Washington H. Soul and Co., Sydney. This business was established by the late Mr. J. Menteith in or about 1877, who carried it on most successfully until his death in 1885. Mr. Menteith, who was a son of the late Dr. Menteith, had been for many years dispenser to the Wellington Hospital; and, as was to be expected, he found many advantages from that connection. He began on a thoroughly good scale, and the appearance of the establishment has in no way suffered by the march of time. In 1887 Messrs. Turner and Co. purchased the business with all appurtenances, and have since then very largely extended the connection, especially in the wholesale and manufacturing departments. The principal lines of proprietary articles are the “Curem” remedies. These embrace “Curem for Neuralgia,” “Curem for Indigestion,” “Curem for Piles,” “Curem for Corns,” and “Curem Bon Bons for Worms,” but a large wholesale and retail trade is also done in their special “Extract of Koromiko,” “Iron and Quinine Wine, ” “Irish Moss,” “Toothache Tincture,” “Corn Solvent, ” “New Hair Tonic,” “Iodized Sarsaparilla,” “Syrup of Alexandia Senna,” “Cherry Tooth Paste,” Dr. Bark's “Throat Pastilles,” and many others, included the favourite tonic and condition pills for dogs, made from a special and highly approved recipe. Mr. Turner was born at Brooklyn, New York, and was educated at the Society of Friends' School at Rawdon, Yorkshire, England, and afterwards at
Messrs. Turner and Co.'s Laboratory And Storeroom.
the well-known Leeds Mechanical School. He was apprenticed to Mr. W. W. Clark, chemist, successor to R. B. Ede, of Dorking, Surrey. On the completion of his apprenticeship, Mr. Turner left for this Colony, per ship “La Hogue,” arriving in Wellington very early in 1874. He soon found employment with the late Mr. J. A. Allan, and it is singular that there is not now in Wellington anyone in the trade who was at that time connected with it, excepting Mr. Turner. In 1877 Mr. Turner commenced for himself in Riverton, but sold the business about the end of the following year. He then filled the position of dispenser to the Invercargill hospital until the end of 1879. In 1880, Mr. Turner was appointed dispenser of the Wellington hospital out of over thirty applications. He, however, did not enter upon the duties, as greater inducements were offered him by Mr. Stubbs, of Gisborne, of whose business he had charge for about two years. For some five years before entering upon the present business, Mr. Turner held the important position of senior traveller for the Auckland branch of Kempthorne, Prosser and Co.'s New Zealand Drug Company. Mr. Turner, besides being registered in New Zealand, holds the diploma of the Pharmaceutical Society of Victoria. For the past three years he has been a member of the New Zealand Pharmacy Board, consisting of seven members elected by the whole body of qualified chemists in the Colony. In the report of that Board attention is drawn to the fact that Mr. Turner had not, during his three years' term of office, missed any meeting, either ordinary or special, of which some sixty or seventy were held. Mr. Parker was born in Edinburgh, and educated at the normal school there. In 1865, he came with his father and family to the Colony, and settled in Auckland, where he lived until 1887, when he came to Wellington to join Mr. Turner in the above business. For the year 1893–4 he was president of the Central Pharmaceutical Association, and has held other positions of importance. When in Auckland he took an interest in musical matters, being a violinist in the Philharmonic and Choral Societies. He was married in Auckland to the daughter of the late Mr. John Close, and his family includes one daughter and one son. Mr. Parker is a member of the Southern Cross Lodge of the American Order of Oddfellows. The success of Messrs. Turner and Co. is in a great measure due to the sterling business habits of both partners. In the busy parts of the day both are at their business, but the early and late hours are so divided that without undue strain upon either, one member of the firm may always be found in attendance. There can be no doubt that this is a decided advantage in a business which can hardly be thoroughly attended to by one principal without that one being overtaxed.
Barraud and Son (Edward Cohen), Chemists and Druggists, Molesworth Street, Wellington. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This business was established about the year 1849, and has been conducted by the present proprietor since 1898.
Berry, John, Chemist, 81 Cuba Street, Wellington.
Brontè, John, Chemist and Druggist, Tory Street Medical Hall. 70 Tory Street. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. This business was established by the present proprietor in 1887.
Elson, George Edward, Chemist and Druggist. Te Aro Pharmacy, 79 Courtenay Place. This business has been established and conducted by present proprietor since the year 1889.
Evens, Edwin Charles, Chemist, Druggist and Dentist, 19 Manners Street. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Established and conducted by present proprietor since 1876.
Giesen, Ernest William, Chemist and Druggist, 79 Willis Street. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established 1888 and conducted by present proprietor since 1895.
Hustwick, Thomas Hopper, Analyst and Consulting Chemist, 15 Featherston Street. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Macdonald Crescent. Established 1895.
Sheehy, Michael, Chemist and Druggist, 80 Courtenay Place. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Established and conducted by present owner since 1880.
Tonking, W. O. H., Chemist and Druggist, 67 Lambton Quay. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. This business was established by Mr. Tonking in 1896.
Wilton, George William, Chemist and Importer of Chemical and Scientific Apparatus, 53 Adelaide Road, and at 215 Upper Willis Street. Private residence, Upper Willis Street. Established business in November, 1886.
Woods, William Edward, Chemist and Druggist, 3 Cuba Street. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand (Te Aro Branch). Private residence, 45 Cuba Street. Established 1891.