The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
The Rev. Charles Archibald Tisdall
The Rev. Charles Archibald Tisdall, M.A., Curate of St. Paul's (pro-Cathedral) Church, Mulgrave Street, was born in Auckland. He is a son of the late Mr. G. C. U. Tisdall, of Waikato, and a nephew of the late Major Tisdall, of Auckland, and was educated at the Auckland College and Grammar School, at the Auckland University, and at St. John's College, Parnell. The reverend gentleman took his B.A. degree in 1894. and in the following year gained his M.A. with honours in political science. He was ordained deacon in 1892 by Bishop Hadfield in Wellington, and is holding his first curacy. Mr. Tisdall is an advocate of muscular Christianity. He believes that the churches should do more than is usually done to provide counter attractions for the youth of the Colony. He has, therefore, succeeded in founding a boys' club, for lads of sixteen and upwards. A membership of seventy-five has already been attained, and the good work grows and increases. Suitable apartments have been provided for gymnasium and reading and smoking rooms. Sports and a picnic form two annual events of great interest to the young people. The result of the training has been most marked, members having been won over from questionable associations, and several have succeeded in athletics. At the amateur athletic meeting held in Napier in 1895, the club was well represented. Mr. Tisdall was always fond of athletics, and it is very satisfactory that he should bring the weight of his influence to bear in favour of the boys of his church. He acts as secretary of the club, the Vicar, Rev. Mr. Sprott being the president.