The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Rev. Henry Edward Tuckey
Rev. Henry Edward Tuckey, of the Church of England, who resides in Park Terrace (off Molesworth Street), was born in Rodburn Cheney, Wiltshire, England, in 1829. His father was a small squire, living on property that had been in the family for centuries. The reverend gentleman was educated at Marlborough Grammar School, and at St. John's College, Cambridge. He took his B.A. degree in 1852. In that year he was one of the Cambridge crew against Oxford, the Cambridge bow oar for that year being the present Lord McNaughten, and the Oxford page 389 stroke Mr. (now Justice) Chitty. The subject of this notice gained a Lady Margaret Scholarship at Cambridge. He was president of the Lady Margaret Boat Club, a distinction previously held by the late Bishop Selwyn. He was ordained in 1854, and was appointed Curate at Shifnal, Shropshire, where he remained only two years. He was then appointed Vicar of Rodburn Cheney by his uncle who was the patron. In 1859 the reverend gentleman married Miss Fanny Isabel, daughter of Mr James Bryant of Bath, and came to New Zealand in the ship “Ashburton,” and, landing at Nelson, took to pastoral and farming pursuits. He had a farm at Waimea South, and leased a run in Wairau Valley jointly with the late Mr. F. Blundell. Mr Tuckey left for Wellington in 1867 and undertook the conduct of a school with Mr. W. S. Hamilton. This school was afterwards taken over by the trustees of the Wellington College and Grammar School. After several years teaching in Wellington, the last position held being that of classical master in the Wellington College, Mr. Tuckey became headmaster of the Featherston State School. Subsequently he served three years as headmaster of Rangiora High School, and became curate to Archdeacon Dudley, Rangiora. About 1887 he returned to Wellington and took Archdeacon Stock's duties at St. Peter's for some eighteen months. He then became supernumerary master for the Wellington Education Board till 1893, when that office was abolished. Mr. Tuckey has lately been engaged as a supply for clergymen as required. He has seven children, the youngest of whom is sixteen. The eldest son is engaged in the Treasury, the second is married and lives at Woodville, the third is an engineer on the s.s. Wainui, the fourth is with Messrs. Stafford, Treadwell and Field, solicitors, and the fifth is on the barque Weathersfield. The elder daughter is unmarried, the second being Mrs. Henry Hadfield, of Otaihanga, Wellington.