The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
The Wellington Hospital Board was constituted in November, 1885. The members for 1896 are Messrs. J. J. Devine, G, Anderson, F. H. Fraser and L. L. Harris representing the Wellington City Council, Messrs. G. Brown and T. Brady for the Hutt County Council; Mr. F. A. Majendie, Horowhenua County Council; Mr. J. Collins, representing the Melrose, Onslow and Karori Boroughs, and Mr. R. C. Kirk for the Boroughs of Petone and Lower Hutt. The last named is chairman of the Board. The duties of the Board consist chiefly in finding the funds to maintain the Hospital. The Board is empowered to levy constrictions on the local bodies represented in proportion to the revenue, and a subsidy of pound for pound is granted by the Government thereon. The amount required for the year 1894–95 was £7353 4s. 4d. Mr. L. W. Loveday is secretary to the Board.
The Wellington and Wairarapa Charitable Aid Board was incorporated at the same time as the Wellington Hospital Board, and is under the same Act. The members for 1896 are Messrs. J. J. Devine (chairman and hon. treasurer), G. Anderson, F. H. Fraser and L. L. Harris from the Wellington City Council, Mr. G. Brown representing the Hutt and Horowhenua County Councils; Mr. W. H. Beetham, Wairarapa North County Council; Mr. W. Booth, Wairarapa South County Council, and the Boroughs of Greytown and Carterton, Mr. A. W. Hogg, M.H.R., for the Boroughs of Masterton and Pahiatua, and Mr. G. H. Baylis for the Boroughs of Onslow, Petone, Melrose, Karori and Lower Hutt. The Board is charged with the duty of providing the funds necessary to maintain the Charitable Institutions and to defray the cost of maintenance of children committed by the Magistrate to the various Industrial Schools, The Board makes demands on the local bodies named in proportion to their revenue, which is subsidised by grant of pound for pound from the Government. The amount required for the year 1894–95 was £8569 4s. 4d. The secretary of the Board is Mr. L. W. Loveday.
Mr. Lambert William Loveday, the Secretary of the District Hospital Board and the United District Charitable Aid Board, and Clerk of Records in the Colonial Secretary's Department, was born in 1845 at Darjeeling, India, and was educated in England, at Bath Proprietary School and Hanwell College School. When eighteen years of age he came to the Colony per ship “Chili,” to Port Chalmers. Before coming to New Zealand he had been connected with the volunteer movement in England, and having gained considerable knowledge of the drill, was appointed instructor to the third Waikato Militia, which position he held till 1867, when the force was disbanded. Mr. Loveday then went to the Thames goldfield, where he occupied the position of Clerk to the Warden's Court for a short time. He then became clerk in the office of Mr. James Macky, Junior Civil Commissioner, remaining about two years. For three years subsequently he was managing clerk for Messrs. Mackey, Taipari and Co., who controlled the letting of the township lands on the Thames. In 1876 Mr. Loveday eame to Wellington, and acted as clerk to the Select Committee of the Legislative Council in the session of that year. He was also appointed Chief Clerk and Accountant of the Lunacy Department, as Clerk of Records, which position he still retains, besides the secretarial of the Hospital and Charitable Aid Boards. Mr. Loveday was married in 1865 to Miss Vogel, daughter of Mr. Franz Vogel, of Austria. His family consists of three daughters. Since living in Wellington, Mr. Loveday has been prominent in connection with the volunteer movement. He was originally connected with the formation of the Wellington Guards in 1875, and was promoted to the rank of senior major of the Wellington Rifle Battalion, which position he resigned to assume command as captain of the Heretaunga Mounted Rifles. This position he retained from 1891 to January, 1894, when he retired. Mr. Loveday is an unattached member of the Masonic fraternity, having been connected with the Alpha Lodge No. 449, I.C., while in the Waikato.
Dr. John Ewart, M.B., C.M., the Medical Superintendent, was born in Dumfriesshire, Scotland, and educated at Annan, this being the school which the celebrated Thomas Carlyle attended. Dr. Ewart qualified for his profession at the Edinburgh University, gaining his degrees M.B., C.M., in 1880, and taking his M.D. five years later. Till 1889 he practised in Aberdare, South Wales, but owing to a breakdown in health came out to New Zealand per ship “Waimate.” After a year's rest in the Colony, during which his health was greatly improved, Dr. Ewart became surgeon of the Timaru Hospital for a few months. About five years ago he was appointed to the charge of the Wellington District Hospital. Dr. Ewar was married in 1890 to Miss Brandon, daughter of Mr. Richard Brandon of Kent, England.
Miss A. W. Godfrey, the Matron of the Wellington District Hospital, is a native of Bath, Somersetshire. Educated in various parts of England and in Germany, the subject of this notice came out to Melbourne per s.s. “Cuzeo,” and crossing the Tasman Sea, arrived in New Zealand in June, 1878. After some years spent with friends in Wanganui, Miss Godfrey took up work in the Hospital as a probationer and speedily rose step by step to the position of head nurse. She was appointed matron on the 1st of March, 1890. Miss Godfrey delights in her work, and spares no effort to benefit the sufferers who come within the institution over which she so ably presides.
Mr. Lopez S. Wilkes, the Secretary and Steward of the Wellington District Hospital, was born in 1865 at Southend, Essex. Educated at Brighton and at Harrow, he served an apprenticeship of five years in the office of an architect and civil engineer in Brighton. After completing his term he went to sea as steward on the Orient line between London and Australia.
The Mount View Lunatic Asylum is situated in South Wellington, on a splendid site one hundred and thirteen acres in extent, from which a capital view of the City and surrounding districts is obtainable. The original asylum for Wellington was established in the early fifties at Karori, having accommodation for a limited number of patients. The first person to be admitted entered the institution in 1854, and it was four years before a second patient was presented. It is worthy of note that these two men are both alive, and are still inmates of the Asylum, one of them still doing the greater portion of the carting required in connection with this very necessary institution. The old establishment at Karori served the purposes intenedd until about the year 1875, when the central portion of the present asylum was opened. The accommodation originally available at Mount View was for one hundred patients. The institution was, however, soon filled, and it became necessary for further buildings to be erected. The central portion, a handsome two-story wooden structure was enlarged about the year 1880 by the erection of two wings of wood and iron, which doubled the capacity of the asylum. About five years later two additional wards were built, providing for fifteen females and thirty male patients. In the present year the demand for extra rooms being still great, the male wards were increased by the addition of space for thirty patients, and the refractory ward, which afforded room for sixteen, has been enlarged so as to take in twenty-six persons. Two hundred and seventy persons in all can now be comfortably accommodated at Mount View Asylum, the proportion being one hundred females to one hundred and seventy males. Notwithstanding the greatly increased capacity of the institution it has not kept pace with the rapid increase of population. On the average the admission to the asylum numbers from 110 to 120 per annum, and as the establishment will not hold the number of persons committed, they have to be drafted off to other asylums. No less than two hundred have been so transferred from Mount View, chiefly to the Porirua Asylum. It is very satisfactory to record that the number of recoveries average about forty per cent, of the number admitted. The total staff of the Mount View Asylum, including medical superintendents, is thirty-six, being twenty-two males and fourteen females. The medical man in charge of this fine establishment resides in a comfortable two-story house on the grounds.
Dr. Gray Hassell, M.D., Medical Superintendent of Mt. View and Porirua Lunatic Asylums, was born in Oamaru, Otago, in 1860. In 1873 he went to Scotland and completed his studies, begun in New Zealand, in Aberdeen, graduating as an M.B.C.M., page 358 and taking his M.D. degree. Dr. Hassell returned to New Zealand in 1882, and was resident surgeon in Timaru Hospital for about fifteen months. After being in practice at Waimate for two years, he occupied positions for short periods in the Wellington Hospital and in the Lunacy Department. Dr. Hassell has been medical superintendent at Mt. View, Auckland, and in 1895 took charge of Mt. View and Porirua.
Mr. Thomas Kelly, the Chief Attendant of the institution, was born in Galway, where he was engaged in farming with his father for some years before coming out to the colonies. He came out to Melbourne per s.s. “Chimborazo” in 1880, and at once crossed to New Zealand. After a few years' colonial experience, Mr. Kelly was appointed in 1888 to the position he now holds.
The Wellington Convalescent Home, which occupies an elevated position in Oriental Bay, was built by contributions from the ladies of Wellington, and opened in December, 1894. The building, which is all on one floor, is constructed of wood, and contains accommodation for nine convalescents, in addition to the matron's and servants' quarters. The rooms are splendidly finished, and suitably furnished, and from many of the windows a truly lovely view is obtainable. This fine institution has been established for the purpose of giving change of air and rest, with proper food, to invalids who have been in hospitals, or have been unable to obtain the attention they require in their own homes, and thus are prevented from regaining the health and strength necessary to resume work. The Home is supported by voluntary subscription, and subscribers of £1 1s. per year have the right of nominating one person for admission to the establishment. Inmates who are admitted in this way are entitled to three weeks' residence and attention free of charge Those who are able to pay ten shillings per week can be received by applying to the trustees. Private patients may enter the Home at any time on special terms, viz., £2 2s, per week. Provision is thus made for those who can pay handsomely, and for those who can pay but a small sum, as well as for others who are quite unable to contribute anything at all. The Home is fitted up with the electric light, and has every other modern convenience. The Countess of Glasgow is the patroness of the Home. The committee consists of Mesdames Newman, Bristowe, Joseph, Myers, T. C. Williams, and A. Brandon. The secretary is Mrs. Maxwell, and Mrs. Rutter is the matron. There can be no doubt as to the utility of this excellent institution, and that it is destined to prove must valuable for the purpose for which it was intended.
The Wellington Society for Relief of the Aged Needy is incorporated under “The Hospital and Charitable Institution Act, 1885.” The Trustees are elected annually by the members who subscribe 5s. and upwards each per annum, and who exercise votes from one to five, according to amount of subscription. Inmates are elected by the members and life members, the latter being subscribers of twenty pounds, the votes, varying from one to ten in proportion to donations made, being recorded by ballot. By-laws are observed at the Institution, providing for regularity in rising and retiring, cleanliness and mutual help, sick nursing and gardening, according to the ability of the old people. Swearing and profane language is forbidden, and fermented and spirituous liquors are only allowed on the recommendation of the medical officer or by special permission of the Committee of Management. A fine engraving of this splendid institution appears herewith.
Mr. Thomas Short, the Superintendent, was born in London in 1830, and after leaving school was employed in the carrying trade. Coming out to Australia in 1865, he was for some years in business as a storekeeper and farmer in New South Wales. In 1875 he crossed the Tasman Sea and settled in Wellington. Entering the Government service he became head bailiff of the R.M. Court in Wellington, a position which he held for some years. Mr. Short was then appointed Clerk of the Court at Nelson South West goldfields, but resigned in consequence of a breakdown in his health. After spending some time in Australia he returned to New Zealand in 1890 and was appointed to his present position in 1891. Mr. Short was married in 1851 to Miss Elizabeth Rose Stoneham, only daughter of the late Captain Stoneham, of Dover, Kent, England, in Stepney Old Church, London, and has one son who, is in the Government employ. Mrs. Short fills the responsible position of matron of the Home.
The Wellington Benevolent Institution Contributors (Incorporated 1885) undertakes the general distribution of outdoor and indoor relief, including the boarding-out of indigent children, the management of the Benevolent Home, work for the unemployed, etc. The Board of Trustees consists of from six to nine members, of whom two are elected by the private contributors, and the rest by the contributing local bodies, of which there are fourteen. The Trustees have a gross income of over £4000, which they spend in a wise and judicious manner for the benefit of those who are in distress. The present Trustees (1895) are the Rev. H. Van Staveren (Chairman), Messrs. T. W. McKenzie, J. Collins, G. H. Baylis, page 360 C. E. W. Willeston, R. C. Kirk, F. Brady, and R. Mothes. Mr. Alfred George Johnson is Secretary and Relieving Officer.
The Benevolent Home, Ohiro Road, Wellington, was opened on the 28th of January, 1893. The land occupied comprises an acre of freehold and four and a half acres leased from the City Council. The site is high, and affords a fine view of the City and Harbour. The two-story wooden building, which has so recently been completed, is far too small for the requirements of those seeking admission, and the Trustees are considering the advisability of securing additional freehold land and of adding largely to the accommodation. At the time of writing, the inmates number eightyfour, and of these sixty are men. The Home is well found in every respect; the beds are clean and comfortable, and from the remarks of several of the inmates, the writer concluded that many of them were better off than they had often previously been. There are three large dormitories and a number of smaller bedrooms. Baths, lavatories, wash-house, workshop, and other conveniences form a part of the establishment. Work is found as far as possible for the old folks, the men being engaged in the vegetable garden, etc., and the women in the making-up of articles of clothing, which are largely produced on the premises for use in the Home. The Home is very economically worked, the cost, inclusive of clothing, salaries, and five per cent, for depreciation, being only 4s. 4 1/2d. per head.
Mr. John Patrick McCleary, the Master of the Home, was born in Dublin in 1850, and came out to Auckland with his father, who was in the Imperial Army. The subject of this notice was brought up in Auckland, where he learned his trade as a printer. In 1874 he removed to Nelson, where he was married in the same year to Sarah, daughter of Mr. Walter Newport, an old settler, who came to Nelson when a boy. His family consists of two sons and six daughters. Mrs. McCleary, who had considerable experience as a boardinghousekeeper, was appointed matron of the Home when it was opened, her husband taking up his duties at the same time. The Master and Matron are greatly respected by the inmates.
The Wellington Boys' Institute, which was founded in the month of June, 1892, is doing a good work. It is the outcome of a Sunday evening mission school, which was originally held in the early eighties by the Y.M.C.A. In November, 1884, two gentlemen, who are still engaged in philanthropic work in Wellington, took over the management of this school, and after eight years of painstaking labour the Institute was formally opened. The brick building, which was erected entirely by subscription and was completed free from debt, cost from £800 to £1000. It is situated on the reclaimed land at the corner of Cuba and Victoria Streets. There is a fine hall capable of seating from two to three hundred, two class-rooms, library containing 450 volumes, secretary's office, and gymnasium, which is one of the best in Wellington. The hall is freely used by the members, who number over 300. This grand institution which is supported entirely by voluntary subscriptions, exists for the spiritual, mental and physical improvement of the working boys of Wellington. Each winter, classes are held every evening for instructing the lads in arithmetic and spelling, junior and senior gymnastics, shorthand, band practice, recruit and company drill, chess, draughts, singing, and ambulance. Two services are held each Sunday for Bible study. This Institute is for the working boys entirely—those who have comfortable homes are not admitted to membership. To foster a spirit of independence a fee of sixpence per month is charged each lad who is able to pay. Several of the boys are desirous to learn the use of tools. It is therefore proposed to enlarge the building so as to provide a workshop and two extra class rooms. The honorary officers include the Earl of Glasgow, G.C.M.G., Patron; Chief Justice Sir James Prendergast, President. The following gentlemen constitute the committee of management:—Messrs. W. Allan, C. W. Benbow, W. F. Christie, A. Armstrong, A. Hoby, A. Johnston, T. W. McKenzie, G. C. Summerell, G. A. Troup, and A. H. Wallace. Mr. J. G. W. Aitken is the Honorary Treasurer, and Mr. F. Maguire acts as Secretary. A ladies auxiliary, consisting of Misses Hopkirk, M. B. Hopkirk, B. Hutchen, Richmond, Steel and Wilson, has been formed to work under the direction of the general committee. Misses Steel and Hopkirk have worked in connection with this movement most indefatigably since 1884. The following is the staff of honorary teachers:—Mr. C. W. Benbow (cbess and draughts), Dr. H. Pollen (ambulance and first aid), Miss Richmond (singing), Mr. M. Trimble (arithmetic and spelling,) Mr. A. H. Wallace (gymnastics), and Mr. S. E. Wright (shorthand), and Messrs. Aitken and Allan conduct the Sunday services. In connection with the Institute there is a Boys' Brigade of two companies numbering ninety, having a brass band and an ambulance company. The officers of the Brigade are:—Captain, A. Armstrong; Lieutenant, J. Steel; Bandmaster, T. Herd, Ambulance Company—Surgeon Instructor, Dr. H. Pollen; Ambulance Instructor, Mr. F. Maguire.
Captain Alfred S. L. Armstrong, who is in charge of the Boys' Brigade in connection with the Institute, has been for many years connected with the volunteer movement, Born in Nelson and educated at St. Mary's School in his native city, Mr. Armstrong learned the soft goods trade. Removing to Wellington in 1878 he was employed for several years by Messrs. Thompson, Shannon and Co., and afterwards by Mr. James McDowell. In 1890 he entered the Wellington house of Messrs. A. Clark and Sons, with whom he has continued as warehouseman and traveller to the present time. Captain Armstrong has been associated with the Boys' page 361 Institute since its inception, and he became lieutenant and instructor of the Boy's Brigade, rising to the rank of captain. He has been connected with the Wellington Naval Artillery since its formation, and for the past six years has filled the position or chief petty officer. Captain Armstrong is a recipient of the New Zealand Long Service Medal, having served for sixteen consecutive years.
The Girls' Friendly Society in New Zealand, a branch of the English Society, was founded by the late Lady Jervois, in 1883. The objects of the Society are to provide comfortable and inexpensive boarding accommodation for girls and young women; to bind together, in one society, ladies as associates, and girls and young women as members, for mutual help, sympathy, and prayer, and specially to encourage purity of life, dutifulness to parents, faithfulness to employers, and habits of thrift generally. The commodious three-story lodge, from a design of Mr. F. de J. Clere, F.R.I.B.A., erected in Vivian Street, Wellington, stands on a freehold section, the entire cost having been raised. There is good accommodation for a large number of members, who are charged the low tariff of 12s. per week. Although the society is a Church of England Institution and the associates must be members of that body, no such stipulation is made regarding members. Any girl of virtuous character, who is recommended by a minister or employer will be admitted to membership. Single bedrooms are provided; there is a good bath with hot and cold water laid on, and the library and piano are available for use at any time. The associates give prizes for needlework, knitting, scripture, and other subjects. Members are required to attend prayers daily, but otherwise are free to act according to their own wishes. Very good results have followed the Society's work, and many girls have been shielded from temptation by the organization. The office bearers are the Countess of Glasgow, patroness; Mrs. FitzGerald, president; Mrs Fancourt and Miss Greenwood, vicePresidents; and Mesdames D. Anderson, Coffey, England, Gore, Mason, Redward, F. Rutherfurd, Stock, Sprott, T. C. Williams, and Mrs. Wallis, form the council, Mrs. Tanner being the treasurer, and Miss Ashcroft the secretary.
Wellington Sailors' Rest (incorporated under “The Religious, Charitable, and Educational Trust Boards Incorporation Act, 1884.”) Patron, His Excellency the Governor; committee, Mr. C. D. Barraud (chairman), the Rev. J. Paterson, Captains Babot, Rose, and Strang, Messrs. J. G. W. Aitken (hon. treasurer), W. Allen, J. Duncan, W. Ferguson, D. Hall, F. Loudon, A. H. Turnbull, T. C, Williams, W. F. Wheeler, and L. H. B. Wilson (hon. sec.), and his Worship the Mayor of Wellington, the chairman of the Wellington Harbour Board, Mr. A. de B. Brandon (ex-mayor), and Mr. John Jack (ex-chairman of the Harbour Board) ex officio. This useful institution was established in March, 1888. A capital room has been secured close to the wharf; it is comfortably furnished and plentifully supplied with books and papers; games are also provided. A large number of sailors visit the Rest, and seem to appreciate the accommodation and privileges afforded.
Mr. Charles Decimus Barraud, Chairman of the Committee of the Sailor's Rest, was elected to succeed Mr. Beetham in 1892, Born in Surrey, England, Mr. Barraud was educated in Camberwell, and after gaining business experience as a chemist and druggist in Southampton and elsewhere, came to New Zealand, per ship “Pilgrim” in 1849. Arriving in Wellington, he commenced business as a chemist in Lambton Quay, and continued till 1887. In this year he had the misfortune to be burnt out, which led to his retiring. Mr. Barraud was the first president of the New Zealand Pharmacy Board. He has ever tal en a keen interest in art, and is president of the New Zealand Academy of Fine Arts. As a water-colour painter he has attained considerable skill. In 1877 Mr. Barraud compiled “New Zealand, Graphic and Descriptive,” an illustrated work published to his order by Messrs. Sampson and Low, of London. This work is noted for the beautiful illustrations, which are from water-colour paintings by Mr. Barraud, comprising the beauty spots of the Colony. The descriptive matter is from the pen of Mr. W. T. L. Travers, F.L.S. The work, which was published at six guineas, was widely subscribed for. In philanthropic matters Mr. Barraud has taken great interest, especially in connection with the Wellington Hospital Convalescent Fund, of which he was treasmer for several years.
The Pauline Home in Cuba Street was established by the Salvation Army to carry on the rescue work which is so notable a feature of its operations. The land was presented by Staff-Captain Paul, of Christchurch, who acts as secretary of this branch of the Army's work in the Colony. The Home was erected in brick from plans by Mr. William Crichton, architect. It is a handsome structure of two stories, and contains twenty rooms, besides laundry and washhouse. A grand work is being done very unostentatiously, the Home being usually full. The institution is comfortably furnished, and contains twenty-six beds, apart from the accommodation for the officers. The number of inmates at the time of writing is twenty-four women and five children. Purely rescue work is carried on in connection with the Home, the inmates being taught to do household and other useful work, and many have already been discharged, all the better for the kind influences which pervade the establishment. The officer in charge is Captain Gunnion who has had considerable experience in this work.