The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
The Hutt Park Railway Company
The Hutt Park Railway Company (Limited): Directors, Messrs H. D. Bell, M.H.R. (Chairman), James Lockie, J. Ames, F. Franklyn, and J. Saunders; Secretary, Mr. H. M. Lyon, Lambton Quay, Wellington. Early in 1885 this Company was formed to connect the racecourse along the Petone Beach with the line of railway. The necessary capital was subscribed in Wellington in twenty-four hours, and a line a mile and three-quarters in length, together with the needful sidings, making a total of over two miles, was completed in twenty-six working days. It was opened for traffic in February, 1885, and has been used to convey passengers on special occasions up to the present. Unfortunately portions have been washed away by floods from time to time, and considerable sums have been expended in reinstatements. The Government work the traffic over the Company's line, supplying all rolling stock and collecting fares including admission to grounds.