The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
The Customs Department occupies the front portion of the first floor over that part of the Post Office set apart for the use of the public. The offices include the long room, the landing waiter's room and the collector's room. They are all large and well-suited for the purpose for which they are used.
Mr. Dugald McKellar, Collector of Customs for the Port of Wellington, Registrar, of Shipping, and Inspector of Fisheries under the “Fisheries Act,” was born at Battersea, Surrey He was educated chiefly by private tutors, finishing at Norwood a pretty southern suburban district of London. Mr. McKellar arrived in New Plymouth in 1852 by the barque “St. Michael—which, by the way, brought the Constitution to New Zealand and carried despatches in charge of a son of the Duke of Portland—the passage occupying 146 days. After a short time as temporary clerk in the Customs, Mr. McKellar was appointed clerk and landing waiter in New Plymouth on the 1st of January, 1859. Two years later he was transferred to Auckland as second clerk, and in 1867 he went to Christchurch as first clerk and cashier. He was first appointed Collector of Customs in 1873 being stationed at Tauranga. Seven years afterwards Mr. McKellar was appointed Landing Surveyor at Auckland, a position which he retained till 1892, when he was promoted to the position which he now holds.