The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
The Telegraph Office occupies a considerable portion of the building on the right of the main entrance. The receiving room is large and well supplied, and corresponds with the large room of the Post Office. The operators are upstairs in one long room, corresponding with the long-room of the Customhouse. There are fifty-two operators—four clerks in the operating room, four despatch clerks, four counter clerks, and forty-five messengers.
Mr. C. C. Robertson, the officer in charge of the Wellington Telegraph Office, the duties of which position include a supervision of the Wellington Telegrphone Exchange, has been a member of the Civil Service for nearly thirty years. During that time Mr. Robertson has witnessed wonderful developments in the department of telegraphy, in which he takes so deep an interest, and with which he has been so intimately connected. Mr. Robertson joined the Service in 1867, as a cadet operator in the telegraph office page 338 at Dunedin. He was not long in working his way to the position of officer-in-charge, which post he held in Napier and other towns many yeass ago. Mr. Robertson came to Wellington as officer-in-charge some fifteen years ago—in 1880, or thereabouts. He has a very large staff under him, and is more than ordinarily popular. Having himself passed through all the stages of progression in telegraphy, from a cadetship onward, he is the better able to sympathise with the difficulties of his subordinates. In the telephone branch Mr. Robertson is ably assisted by Mr. W. Wylie, and in the general business by Mr. John Gell, assistant officer-in-charge, and other leading officers. Mr. Robertson's office is on the first floor, immediately above the public office.