The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Te Aro Station
Te Aro Station.
The Railway Station at Te Aro, being still quite new, presents a pleasing, if not very substantial, appearance. It is commodious, and it is not likely that any extension will be needed for many years to come. The ordinary business traffic is small; but on high days and holidays crowds of excursionists throng the Te Aro Station. There is a well-kept look about this station which is by no mesns too common in the Colony. Whether the traffic justifies the extension, and whether those who clamoured for it, are reaping the benefits which they declared were certain to follow, it may well be doubted. Wellingtonians, however, look forward to an extension of this line to Kilbirnie, Lyell Bay, Island Bay, Happy Valley, Karori and Makara, joining the Manawatu line at Porirua. Certainly such an extension would be a great boon to the Capital from a citizen's standpoint, but the taxpayer is likely to throw cold water on the project for many years to come. The Te Aro Station is situated near the extreme south-western corner of Lambton Harbour. It occupies about three and a half acres in the midst of what will some day be a very busy part of the city. Already there are many signs of improvement in the neighbourhood.
Mr. Archibald Whitson has charge of the Te Aro Station, and is well-known to frequenters of this line, having been for many years the stationmaster at Petone. Mr. Whitson was born in 1848, at Haddington, near Edinburgh, whose Grammar School the great reformer, John Knox, attended. Educated in a private school at Haddington, Mr. Whitson found employment for a few years in a cotton shipping business in Manchester, and subsequently joined the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway, at the Victoria Station, Manchester. After gaining experience there he returned to his old business until 1878, when he embarked for this Colony per ship “Pleiades,” landing at Wellington on the last day of that year. Within a fortnight he was engaged by the Railway Department as booking clerk at the Wellington Station. In 1883, Mr. Whitson was married to Miss Clara Parkinson, daughter of Mr. George Parkinson, of Manchester, by whom he has one son. Immediately prior to his appointment in 1895, as stationmaster of Te Aro, Mr. Whitson was in charge at Petone, which position he had held for eleven years. He is a courteous obliging officer, and consequently popular.