The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Railway Station Officers
Railway Station Officers.
The Railway Station buildings of Wellington are not by any means imposing structures; and as there are no branch lines as in Christchurch, Auckland, Dunedin and other places, the railway business of Wellington seems small. When the Government takes over the Manawatu line, and one central station is made, there will be a better appearance of business. Even now, however, the principal station known as “Wellington,” is a busy place, and is entitled to a much better building. It occupies about twenty-four and a half acres of ground, and the sheds and workshops are extensive. It is situated within two minutes' walk of the General Government buildings, but rather too far from the centre of the town; and the Te Aro Station is about the same distance to the south of the wharf, and therefore equally out of the way. The Wellington railway system has been already described in the article on “Wellington City.” All that need here be given is some mention of the principal officers, whose headquarters are at the Wellington station. The Te Aro Station is the terminus at present; but “Wellington,” though not the starting page 346 point now, is in every way the principal station. In all, no less than 57 men are employed, including the traffic manager, the station-master and his assistants, and the various foremen and their hands.
Mr. Harry Hughlings Jackson, Locomotive Engineer for New Zealand Railways, was born in Auckland in 1860, and brought up in the Colony. His father is Mr Samuel Jackson, of Auckland, the senior partner in the well-known legal firm of Jackson and Russell. Mr. H. H. Jackson was educated at the Auckland College and Grammar School. After leaving school he was successful in passing both the junior and senior Civil Service examinations. Joining the Railway Department in October, 1876, he served his time in the Locomotive Department, and during his apprenticeship was for six months firing on locomotives, and subsequently was engine driving. After completing his indentures he was transferred to Addington Workshops, Christchurch, where he worked as a fitter for some months. He was then removed to Wanganui Workshops to fill a similar position, which he occupied for nearly three years, when he was promoted to the post at locomotive foreman. A year later, Mr. Jackson took charge of the Nelson section as acting district manager, and after four months he became locomotive foreman at Wellington. Subsequently he filled the position of relieving officer in the Locomotive Department on the Hurunui-Bluff sections, perfoiming varicas duties including those of foreman filter at Hillside Works for six months, and locomotive foreman filter at Dunein and Invercargill. After this Mr. Jackson was successively acting district manager at Picton, locomotive manager and acting district manager at Napier for seven months, and again relieving officer, on the Hurunui-Bluff section. While on this section, he was entrusted with the special work of testing the stoaming qualities of all New Zealand hewn coals. In 1888 the subject of this notice was promoted to the position of locomotive engineer in Auckland. This he held till June, 1894, when he received his present appointment. Mr. Jackson was married in 1891 to the eldest daughter of Captain Worsp, of Auckland, and has one son. He has been nineteen years in the railway service, the whole of which time has practically been spent in the Locomotive Department. [This article was received too late for insertion under general description of Railway Department on page 155.]
Mr. T. Edward Donne, Traffic Manager for the Wellington section of New Zealand railways, was born in Melbourne, Victoria. In the year 1875 he entered the service of the Telegraph Department, Wellington, as a cadet, whence he was transferred to Bluff, afterwards going to Taiaroa Heads, and then to Dunedin. In 1876 he was appointed stationmaster, postmaster, telegraphist, etc., at Caversham, near Dunedin, subsequently holding similar positions at Waitati and Edendale. He was also in charge of the railway stations at Bluff, Gore, and elsewhere. In 1885 he took charge of the Wellington station, and occupied the position of stationmaster, Wellington, until 1894, when he was appointed Traffic Manager. Mr. Donne represents in his own person a full chapter of accidents, but the most serious injury occurred to him at Gore in 1885, when owing to defective back gear on a railway waggon, he was thrown down when shunting, and run over by a train; he was mangled to such an extent, that his recovery has since been regarded as marvellous. He holds the medallion of the St John Ambulance Association, and he has rendered valuable first aid in many cases of serious injury. Of a studious disposition Mr. Donne is well read, and has acquired a large library, containing many rare and valuable books. He is president of the Railway Employees' Benefit Society for Wellington section, vice-president of the Wellington Railway Cricket Club, and he has been a member of the council of the Wellington Acclimatization Society during the last six years. A keen angler and an ardent sportsman, he has been very successful in deerstalking, and his many trophies of the charge testify to his excellence as a rifle shot. Prior to his serious accident he was well known as a very good athlete. Mr. Donne is a liquor abstainer and non-smoker. He is regarded as a shrewd man of business, page 347 and is a popular officer, being well liked by the public, enjoying the confidence of his superior officer; and the respect of his subordinates.
Mr. Anthony Stubbs, Foreman of Works of the Wellington Section of New Zealand Railways, was born and educated in Staffordshire, England. He is a builder by trade, and before coming to New Zealand had considerable experience in England and America. Arriving in Port Chalmers in 1875 per ship “Christian McAusland,” Mr. Stubbs went to Christchurch, and in the same year entered the Public Service in the railway workshops, which were at that time under the Provincial Government, and was appointed inspector of works for the new passenger station at Christehurch, during which time he was transferred to the General Government, For five years after the completion of this work, he was in the employ of Mr. F. Strouts, architect, of Christehureh, as a draughtsman and inspector of works. Mr. Stubbs re-entered the Civil Service in Christchurch, joining the architectural branch of the Public Works Department as draughtsman and sub-inspector, but fell a victim to the ten percent. reduction, and was afterwards retrenched and the office abolished. Soon afterwards he again joined the railway service at Napier, and was employed as draughtsman for the workshops, and in 1885 received the appointment as bridge inspector and foreman of works of the Napier section of railways. This position he held untii January, 1895, when he was transferred to Wellington. In 1870 Mr. Stubbs married Miss Elizabeth Clarke, daughter of Mr. W. Clarke, of Swanwich, Derbyshire. He has five sons and five daughters. As a member of the Masonic fraternity, he is attached to Lodge Bedford, No. 25, N.Z.C., Waipukurau, of which he was W.M. Mr. Stubbs is a member of the newly-formed Officers' Institute of New Zealand Railways.
Mr. Willam Hunter, Locomotive Foreman, Wellington section of New Zealand Railways, has for twenty years been in the public service. Born in Belfast, Ireland, in 1857, the subject of this notice taken by his parents to Melbourne, Victoria, In 1858, and two years later arrived in New Zealand. Mr. Hunter was educated in Invereargill, and entered the railway service in May, 1875, as clerk in the Traffic Department, at the Bluff. At the beginning of 1877 he was transferred to the Locomotive Department, as cleaner, remaining till the middle of the following year. Mr. Hunter then became acting fireman. and aubsequently fireman, and received promotion to the position of acting driver, in January, 1882. Three months later he was appointed driver on the Invereargill-Clinton line, where he remained for seven years. Mr. Hunter was then promoted to be driver-in-charge at Oamaru, which position he retained till the commencement of 1891. He then received promotion to the Locomotive Foremanship at Wanganui, and occupied that position till June, 1891, when he was transferred to Wellington. Mr. Hunter has thus risen by regular stages to the responsible position now occupied by him. He is an unattached member of the Foresters' order, and belongs to the Officer's Institute of New Zealand Railways. In 1870, Mr. Hunter was married to Miss Watt, daughter of the late Mr. John Watt, of the Bluff, and he has two children, one boy and one girl.
Mr. Forester William Styles, Station-master of the Wellington Station, New Zealand Railways, was born in the Black Forest, Victoria, in 1857. He was one of the earliest born Europeans in that part of the Colony, and was named “Forester” in honour of that distinction. Early in life he came with his parents to Port Chalmers where he received his education at Mr. George Scott Murray's Private School and the Port Chalmers Grammar School Mr. Styles's father was for some years a railway contractor in Otago, and was at one time manager for Messrs. Proudfoot Bros. Mr. James Styles, a cousin of the subject of this notice, was for many years consulting engineer of the Port Melbourne Harbour Trust, and is a well-known member of the Victorian Parliament. About the end of 1872, Mr. Styles entered the railway service as a cadet at Port Chalmers. He rose by stages to the office of booking clerk in Dunedin, a position which he filled for five years. At the beginning of 1878 he was transferred to Mosgiel as stationmaster. During this year he married a daughter of Mr. John Smail, who is well known as having erected and started the successful woollen mills at Mosgiel, the pioneer mills of the Colony. Mr. Styles's family numbers nine—five daughters and four sons. After six years Mr. Styles was sent to Invercargill, where he remained as station-master till November, 1894, when he was transferred to Wellington. He is an unattached page 349 member of the Masonic fraternity, I.C., and belongs to the Oddfellows' Order, M.U., having been a prominent member of the Mosgiel Lodge, of which he was one of the principal organizers. Mr. Styles has taken an active interest in the volunteer movement, having been a member of the Port Chalmers Grammar School Cadets, the Port Chalmers Naval Brigade, the Dunedin City Guards and the East Taieri Rifles. He was also the principal organizer and the first treasurer of the Southland Co-operative Working Men's Society, which is managed, and the capital subscribed in a manner unique in the history of associations of the kind for the benefit of the “toilers” in our Colony, for the good and welfare of which class the subject of this sketch has worked hard in many directions. Mr. Styles has also taken an active part in aquatics, having been the first secretary of the old Port-Chalmers Rowing Club, established in 1871, and still in existence, and captain of the Railway Volunteer Fire Brigade for six years at Invercargill.