The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Mr. Joy Marriott Marshall, M.A., Chaplain-elect of the Wanganui Collegiate School, was born near Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, in 1867. He came to Nelson per ship “Waimate” with his parents in 1876, and was educated at the Wanganui Collegiate School. Mr. Marshall graduated at the New Zealand University, gaining his B.A. degree in 1888 and his M.A., with first-class honours in mathematics and second-class honours in classics, in 1889. He became a master of Christ's College, Christchurch, in 1892, and two years later he went to St. John's College, Cambridge, for a year. Returning to New Zealand about the end of 1895, Mr. Marshall was appointed to the staff of the Collegiate School. In athletics he has played as a representative in Canterbury and in Wanganui football teams, and on several occasions in the West Coast cricket team. In lawn tennis he secured the championship of New Zealand at Christchurch in 1890, and at Nelson in 1896.
Mr. F. G. Shields, M.A., the second master of the Collegiate School, was born in Northumberland, and received his education partly in Scotland and partly in England. He took his University course at Cambridge, gaining his B.A. degree in 1882 and that of M.A. in 1886. Mr. Shields was appointed to his present position in the latter year, immediately upon his arrival in the Colony. He has charge of the large auxiliary house in connection with the college, where he has about 30 boys under his special care.
Mr. Joseph Robinson Orford, M.A., Senior Classical Master of the Wanganui Collegiate School, was born in Ipswich, Suffolk. Educated at Shrewsbury and Cambridge, he graduated B.A. in 1885, and obtained his M.A. degree in 1896. While at Cambridge Mr. Orford took a “first-class” in the Classical Tripos, and was also a distinguished athlete—rowing in the University eight, and winning two events in the sports of 1886. Since settling in Wanganui he has taken an interest in the local rowing club, of which he is deputy-captain.
Mr. H. B. Watson, B.A., who is one of the staff of the Wanganui Collegiate School, is a native of London. He was educated at the Godolphin School, Hammersmith, and, after coming to New Zealand, at the Cathedral School and Christ's College in Christchurch. He passed through his University course at Canterbury College, where in 1891 he gained his B.A. degree and the senior scholarship in Latin and Greek. In the following year he passed his M.A degree with honours in classics. Mr. Watson was appointed a master of the school in 1893.
Mr. John Edgar Bannister, M.A., one of the staff of the school, was born in Christchurch in 1871. Educated at the Wanganui Collegiate School and at Canterbury College, Christchurch, Mr. Bannister graduated B.A. of the New Zealand University in 1892, and took his M.A. with second-class honours in classics in the following year. In athletics he is interested in football and cricket, and was a member of the Wellington Association football team in 1894.
Mr. Edward Weston Andrews, a member of the teaching staff of the Wanganui Collegiate School, was born in 1859 at Buckland, Hertfordshire, England. He was educated in Hastings and at the University School in London, where he studied for three years. In 1880 Mr. Andrews was appointed a master at this school, which position he retained till leaving for New Zealand in 1888. Arriving in Wellington per s.s. “Coptic,” he afterwards became a member of the staff of the Wanganui Collegiate School. He is interested in Association and Rugby football, in cricket, and in tennis; in 1895 he was captain of the Ruahine Association football representatives.
Mr. Richard J. Dunn, who teaches science, drawing, and technical work generally at the Wanganui Collegiate School, was born in 1861 at Richmond, Yorkshire, England. He was educated in the Old Country, and trained as a teacher under Mr. George Girling, of Peterborough Training College. Previous to his present appointment, Mr. Dunn was teaching for two years at Masterton, and also at the Te Aute Native College for four years. He was appointed to the staff of the Collegiate School in 1888.
Mr. John Harold, one of the masters of the Wanganui Collegiate School, was educated in Dublin, and arrived in Port Chalmers per s.s. “Arawa” in 1887. Shortly afterwards he was appointed a member of the staff of the Collegiate School. In athletics generally he has taken an active part, and he is gymnastic instructor to the school.
Miss Mary Isabel Fraser, M.A., the Principal of the College, was born in Dunedin, where she was educated chiefly at private schools, until thirteen years of age. For two years subsequently Miss Fraser attended the Normal School in Dunedin, after which she went into training as a teacher, and for some time occupied the position of mistress of the Seacliffe Government School. Miss Fraser subsequently received the appointment of assistant mistress at the George Street School, Dunedin, which was the largest in the provincial district of Otago. On entering the school Miss Fraser was the fifth mistress, and subsequently was appointed third mistress. While fulfilling her duties in connection with this important school, Miss Fraser studied for her degrees in connection with the New Zealand University, and was successful, in 1887, in passing the necessary examinations entitling her to the B.A. degree. In the following year she gained the degree of M.A., with honours in physics. Miss Fraser next received the appointment of assistant English teacher in the Girls' High School in Dunedin, a position which she occupied for four years. The present important position as principal of the Girls' college was conferred upon Miss Fraser in the beginning of 1894.
Miss J. Burgoyne Hudson is the first Assistant Mistress of the College, and teaches music and modern languages. She was born in London, and studied French in Brussels and Paris, Italian in Rome and Florence, German in Switzerland, and music under that great musician, Sir Charles Halle, of whom she is a certificated pupil. In order to perfect her education, Miss Hudson went to Brussels to Madam Kessel's school, which is known as the sister school to the one at which Charlot Bronte was educated. While in Brussels Miss Hudson received lessons from the celebrated Herr Brassin, who was afterwards court pianist to the Emperor of Russia, and is since deceased. After returning to England and holding various private appointments, Miss Hudson came to New Zealand per ship “St. Leonards,” arriving in Wellington in 1879, and was for some years a teacher of music in Nelson. Miss Hudson was one of the first of the staff appointed to organise and develop the college, and has held her present position since 1891.
Miss Alethea C. Tendall, M.A., is second assistant mistress of the College. Miss Tendall was born in Newbury, and for six years lived in Edinburgh. She came to New Zealand in 1880 with her father, Mr. G. F. Tendall, the Organist of Christchurch Cathedral and lecturer at Canterbury College. Miss Tendall was educated at the High School, Christchurch, where she remained for eight years. Subsequently she studied for four years at the Canterbury College. She took her B.A. degree in 1891 and gained her M.A. degree in the following year with honours in languages. For some time subsequently Miss Tendall was teaching in private schools, and in the year 1893 was appointed to the staff of the Nelson College. She assumed her present position in January, 1895.
Miss Ernard Marian Anna Krull, the third assistant mistress, who is a daughter of Mr. F. A. Krull, senior, German Consul, was born in Wellington, and educated at the Wellington Girl' High School. She studied and gained her B.A. degree at the New Zealand University in Christchurch, in the page 1388 year 1889, and has been teaching at the Girls' College since the establishment of that institution in 1891.
Miss Emily Rose Broome, B.A., is the Junior Assistant Mistress of the College. She is a daughter of Lieutenant C. S. Broome, R.N., of Wellington, and was born in Weymouth, coming to the Colony with her father, per s.s. “Ruapehu,” arriving in Wellington in the year 1884. Miss Broome was educated principally at the Girls' High School, Wellington, and took her B.A. degree in 1894. For a year and eight months she was teacher at the Mount Cook Infants' School, Wellington, and for a few months was on the staff of the Clyde Quay School. She was appointed to her present position in May, 1893.
Mrs. Jane Letitia Wood, Matron of the Wanganui Girls' College, is a daughter of a very old Auckland settler, the well-known Colonel Haultain. She was born in Panmure, and educated at her father's house. For some four months Mrs. Wood had charge of the Girls' Friendly Society Lodge in Wellington, and on the establishment of this splendid college, was one of those selected to organize and develop the institution. As matron, Mrs. Wood attends to all the household requirements of the teachers and scholars in connection with the college, and her desire has ever been to promote the comfort and happiness of all.
The Wanganui Education Board, of which Mr. G. Carson, M.H.R., is chairman, and Messrs. H. Sanson (Rongotea), J. H. Fry (Makino), F. Y. Lethbridge, M.H.R. (Feilding), Rev. John Ross (Turakina), J. W. Baker (Fordell), B. C. Robbins (Hawera), G. A. Hurley (Manaia), and F. Pirani, M.H.R. (Palmerston N.), are members, Mr. A. A. Browne being secretary, and Mr. W. H. Vereker-Bindon, M.A., chief inspector, Mr. James Milne, M.A., assistant inspector, controls a large district. This includes the counties of Patea, Hawera, Waitotara, Wanganui, Rangitikei, Manawatu, Oroua, and Pohangina. The whole country from Eltham to Foxton is embraced within the boundaries of the district. No less than 120 schools are managed by this large Board. These schools find employment for 244 teachers, of which 124 are males and 120 are females. In addition to this large number of schools the Board have the management of the Technical School, which is affiliated to the Science and Art Department of South Kensington. The latter school is under the management of Mr. David Blair, F.L.S., as lecturer and art master. [Since the above was in type, Mr. G. Carson has resigned the chairmanship of the Board; Mr. J. W. Baker is, at the time of writing (February, 1897), filling the duties of that position.]
Mr. William Henry Vereker-Bindon M.A. is the chief inspector of schools for the Wanganui Education District. Mr. Vereker-Bindon was born at Old Leighlin, County Carlow, Ireland, in the year 1853. He received his education at the public school known as Ennis College, and subsequently studied at Trinity College, Dublin, completing his college course in 1876, and gaining his B.A. degree the same year. Mr. Vereker-Bindon came to the colonies per s.s. “Kent,” an auxiliary screw steamer of the Money, Wigram line arriving in Melbourne in 1876, in which year he arrived in Auckland. Mr. Vereker-Bindon started as a probationer under the Board of Education in Auckland in February, 1877, and after page 1389 wards obtained the position of assistant master in Auckland, which he held for sixteen months, when he was appointed head master of of the Newton East School. The latter appointment Mr. Vereker-Bindon held over five years, and was appointed in 1883 as inspector of Wanganui, a position which he has held ever since. In the latter year Mr. Vereker-Bindon obtained his M.A. degree.
Mr. James Milne, M.A., Inspector of Schools at Wanganui, to which position he was appointed in 1895, was born in Aberdeen in 1854, and was educated in his native land. After five years as a pupil teacher at Colestream School, two years in the Training College, Edinburgh, and four years in Edinburgh University, he graduated as a Master of Arts in 1882, becoming assistant master at Denny Public School, Stirling. In 1887 Mr. Milne came to Wanganui, being appointed to Waitotara Public School, and three years later to Waverley. In 1889 Mr. Milne was married to a daughter of Mr. Howitt, of Ellon, Aberdeen, and has two children.
Mr. Alfred A. Browne, the Secretary to the Wanganui Education Board and to the Board of Governors of the Wanganui Girls' School, is a native of London, his family originally belonging to Devonshire. He was educated partly in London and partly at Orleans College, France. His father was in the East Indian Company's service. Mr. Browne began life in London in a merchant's house, and then went to India and China for three years prior to coming to the colonies at the time when Sir Charles Hotham was appointed Governor of Victoria, with whom he was intimately associated, and, but for whose untimely death, he would probably have acted as confidential secretary. Mr. Browne was about four years engaged in mercantile pursuits in Sydney and Melbourne. After this he was in South Africa travelling, but his health broke down and he returned to England. In the year 1870, Mr. Browne came by the ship “Countess of Kintore” to Auckland. The voyage was some what an eventful one, as the vessel got in among icebergs, of which there were no less than seventy very close to the ship. Mr. Browne came to Wanganui about 1874, and occupied the position of general manager to Messrs. Taylor and Watts's business for about three years. He was appointed to the position of secretary to the Wanganui Education Board about 1878, having been selected from a large number of applicants for the position. Mr. Browne has lately had a very pleasant trip to England. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and has been a Justice of the Peace for three years past.
The Technical School was erected in 1892 from plans by Mr. A. Atkins out of a fund bequeathed to the boys and girls of Wanganui for ordinary educational purposes by the late Dr. Rees. The cost of the building, with furniture and fittings. was about £1000. The school is supported partly by fees and partly out of the income derived from the balance of the bequest. The objects of the school are to provide instruction in the principles of science and art to specific performance. Science lectures are delivered on practical plane and solid geometry, machine construction practical mechanics, and building construction, experimental and natural science. The course of instruction is similar to that adopted by kindred schools in England. The Wanganui Technical School is affiliated with South Kensington, London. A large num of pupils of this school have passed various examinations from year to year, and by the able management of Mr. David Blair, F.L.S., the pupils have made good progress, a fact that was quite evident to the writer when he had the opportunity of inspecting the work at the exhibition held in 1895.
Mr. David Blair, F.L.S., the Headmaster of the Wanganui Technical School, was born in Dundee, in 1852. He was educated at Birkenhead, Liverpool, and studied at the School of Art in the same locality, winning a scholarship of £50 per year, which entitled him to a course of instruction at Kengington School, London. During the third year's tenure of his scholarship, Mr. Blair accepted the appointment of botanical draftsman at the British Museum, and while holding the latter appointment also accepted the positions of headmaster of the Islington School and examiner at Kensington. These he held until leaving for New Zealand about 1881. He came per ship “Lusitania” to Melbourne, having been selected by Sir Julius Vogel and Mr. Kennaway, Agent-General, out of sixty-seven applicants for the headmastership of the Christchurch School of Art, a position which he held for about six years. He then joined the Education Department of the general Government in Wellington and travelled to different centres of the Colony lecturing to teachers. For some months he was in Invercargill giving a course of lectures on drawing and science, for which purpose he had a set of Professor Bickerton's apparatus. He subsequently lectured in Timaru, Napier, and Wanganui. After a short holiday trip to Australia, Mr. Blair received an offer of the Ballarat School of Art, but declined the same, preferring to accept his present appointment, which he has held since 1892.
The Wanganui Boys' School, usually known as the Boys' High School, under the control of the Wanganui Board of Education is situated in a very prominent position in Victoria Avenue. The site comprises about five acres of land situated on a sandy elevation affording magnificent drainage and being thoroughly healthy in every respect. The school buildings, which were erected about 1879 or' 80 from plans by the late Mr. Toxward, architect, of Wellington, were built by Mr. Tawse, contractor, whose business is now carried on by Messrs. Russell and Bignell. The buildings, which are of wood and iron, are very lofty, being fully 30 feet from floor to ridge. The rooms are thoroughly well ventilated by the windows, which open both from top and bottom, as well as by special ventilators on the roof. The headmaster is assisted by a staff of three certificated teachers, two pupil teachers, and two cadeta. There are 330 boys on the school roll, comprising standards II. to VII, and the average attendance is about 250. There is a cadet corps in connection with the school, numbering forty-two. The officers are Captain Aitken, headmaster, and Lieutenant Stewart, assistant master. There is a good playground with gymnasium, and a large football and cricket paddock for the use of the boys.
Mr. James Aitken, B.A., the Headmaster, was born in Scotland, where he received part of his education, matriculating in connection with the London University, in 1881. Mr. Aitken came to New Zealand by the first trip of the ill-fated s.s. “Wairarapa,” arriving in Dunedin in 1882. He at once commenced teaching under the Board of Education, receiving his D3 certificate in consequence of his having matriculated in England. Mr. Aitken was appointed temporary assistant master at the Caversham School, and subsequently temporary methematical master at the Girls' High School, Dunedin. He at once commenced to study for his degree at the New Zealand University, Dunedin. He was appointed head master of the Ravensbourne School in 1883, holding the position until 1887. In 1888, Mr. Aitken gained his B.A. degree He was head master at Geraldine from 1887 to 1892, and in the latter year was appointed to the school over which he now presides. page 1390 There is a cadet corps in connection with the school, of which Mr. Aitken is captain.
The Wanganui Girls' School is situate in Queen's Park. The position is high and the soil perfectly dry and sandy. The School was established about the year 1880, being commenced in the old Infants' School in Victoria Avenue. It soon became so crowded that it was necessary to erect a tent to assist in accommodating the children. The present building, which comprises five large rooms, all of which are lofty and thoroughly well ventilated, is far too small for the number of children that attend. The present roll contain 354 names, the average attendance being about 320. The standards are numbers two to seven. There is a good playground surrounding the school and handsome belts of firtrees grow around the borders of the property. Miss Blyth, the headmistress, is assisted by four certificated teachers besides one pupil teacher. The first assistant is Miss Grant. M.A.
Miss S. F. R. Blyth is the headmistress of the Wanganui Girls' School. Miss Blyth was born in Tasmania, and was appointed to her present position in March, 1879.
Wanganui Infants' School. The Wanganui Infants School, which was inaugurated in 1880, is an establishment of importance. It is admirably managed by Mrs. Hoey and a staff of assistants, to the number of seven. The number on the roll fluctuates from 350 to 400, generally increasing to the latter number about examination time. About a hundred scholars page 1391 are drafted annually into the other schools, passing the first standard At an average of seven-and-a-half years. The school is pleasantly situated, the grounds having frontages to Victoria Avenue, Guyton Street, and Wicksteed Street. About one half of the school was formerly the ordinary Girls' School. No more need be said to shew the progress of Wanganui numerically during the last fifteen or sixteen years.
St. John's Infants' School, Wanganui, opened some few years ago, has seating accommodation for 150 children. There are 125 on the roll, with an average attendance of 112.
Mrs. E. Brown, who is in charge of St. John's Infants' School, Wanganui, was born in Southampton in 1844, and was educated at Stockwell College. She came out to Wellington per ship “Westland” in 1882. Before taking up her residence in Wanganui, Mrs. Brown taught in Te Aro School, Wellington.
Matarawa Public School is held in a wooden building having one room, which has accommodation for fifty pupils, besides vestibule. The school roll shows twenty names, the average attendance being eighteen. The master's house, which adjoins, has six rooms; the land attached is about two acres in extent, which is available as a playground.
Mr. Edward Munro Menzies, the Teacher in charge of the Matarawa Public School, hails from Brighton, Sussex, England, where he was born in 1849. Arriving in Wellington per ship “Forfarshire” in 1873, he was appointed to the Mission School at Otaki, and afterwards to the Awahuri Public School, which position he resigned after two-and-a-half years to take up the native work at Churton College, Wanganui, where he remained for eight years, until the unfortunate collapse of that institution. He was appointed sole teacher at Matarawa in October, 1889. Mr. Menzies is also a lay-reader for the Wanganui Parochial District, having been licensed to that office in 1882 by Bishop Hadfield. Mr. Menszies' father—Mr. Sutherland Menzies—was the founder of the original St. James' Magazine, and the author of “Political Women,” “Royal Favourites,” “Turkey, Old and New,” and “School Histories,” published by Collins and Co. His brother is at present British Vice-Consul at Liege, Belgium. Mr. Menzies was married in 1874, and has two sons and four daughters.
Mars Hill Public School, No. 2 Line, Wanganui, is a wooden building containing a single room, with entrance lobby. There is accommodation for about thirty children, the number on the roll being twenty-two, and the average attendance twenty. A playground of half-an-acre is attached to the school.
Miss Grace Ludlow Braun, who is in charge of the Mars Hill School, was born in Wellington. She was educated in the Empire City and at Carterton Public School, where she became a pupil teacher in 1887, gaining an E3 certificate in 1891. She was appointed to the position she now fills in 1895.
Mosstown Public School, opened in 1870, is situated two miles from the post-office, Wanganui, and a like distance from the Castlecliff School. The school has accommodation for sixty children, but there are only forty-eight on the roll. The playground is an acre in extent.
Mr. William H. McLean, Master of the Mosstown Public School, is the son of Mr. R. McLean, Wanganui, where he was born in 1870. Educated at the Wanganui High School, he finished his course of study at the Collegiate School, where he won three scholarships. He was pupil teacher at the Wanganui Boys' School, acted as relieving teacher at Okoia, and was for two-and-a-half years at Brunswick, before taking up his duties at Mosstown, Mr. McLean is a member of the Naval Artillery, the Wanganui Rowing Club, and the local tennis club, captain of the Kaiern Football Club, and secretary to the Wanganui Cricket Club.