The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
McDonald, James, Farmer, “Glenalladale,” Mangamahu, Fordell. Born in 1843 in Caithness, Scotland, the late Mr. McDonald came out to Victoria in 1861, and almost immediately crossed over to the Otago goldfields. There he plied with success cattle and sheep-dealing until 1867, when he returned to his native country. He came back to New Zealand in 1869, and was one of the first to take up land on the Waitotara Flat after the Maori war. He was also interested in proportion at Fordell and on the banks of the Turakina River. Mr. McDonald was the pioneer settler of the Mangamahu District, and, in partnership with Mr. Hugh Grant, brought thither the first stock in 1872. He met his death through endeavouring to save a boy, who was surrounded by a bush fire on the property. Mr. McDonald, in his attempt to reach the boy through the fallen bush, was overtaken by the flames and perished. The youth was saved by a man who came in a different direction. page 1345 The late Mr. McDonald was married in 1874 to Miss Grant, of Turakina, who, with her family of six daughters and a son, lives on the property.
The late Mr. J. McDonald.