The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Cawood, Samuel, Settler, Marton. Born in Yorkshire in 1818, Mr. Cawood followed farming pursuits for several years, leaving in 1842 in the ship “Success” for Western Australia, where he leased a farm for nine years. In 1855 he crossed to New Zealand, and for two years worked on the old Puraroa Road for Mr. R. Hammond. Settling in Marton, he purchased a farm which he worked till 1884, when he let it and retired to live in Harris Street, almost opposite his son's residence. Mr. Cawood is a good example of a sturdy English yeoman; his eye is as keen as ever, and as a shot even now he has few superiors. In his younger days he was a noted athlete, and his jumping and shooting powers often brought him into prominence. In 1838 Mr Cawood was married to a daughter of Mr. T. Smith, of Church Fenton, Yorkshire, and has two surviving sons, one at Marton (“Cherry Farm”) and the other living near Feilding.
Photo by Billens.
Mr. S. Cawood.
Cawood, William, Farmer, Marton. Mr. Cawood is the owner of a pretty little place known as “Cherry Farm,” near Marton. He was born in Yorkshire in 1842, and when only six months old was taken by his parents to Western Australia, in the ship “Success.” He received his education at a private school in that colony, and after thirteen years in Australia the family came to Wellington. Three years later Mr. Cawood went to the Rangitikei, remaining on “York Farm” for twenty-six years. After several page 1329 satisfactory transactions in property, he secured his present farm of 136 acres, where he now resides. Mrs. Cawood is a daughter of the late Mr. R. Hammond, of “York Farm,” who was one of the best-known settlers in Rangitikei.
Coombe, James, Farmer, Woodlands, Fern Flat and Dunsinane, Upper Tutaenui. Mr. Coombe is a native of Devon, and left for New Zealand early in 1857, per ship “Heroes of Alma,” arriving in Wellington in the month of May in the same year. Mr. Coombe was born on a farm in the Old Country, and had considerable experience. On his arrival in New Zealand, he carried his “swag” up the coast and settled in Rangitikei. For four or five years he worked upon a station, and subsequently purchased 800 acres of land, on which he is now residing at Fern Flat. The land was covered with bush, fern, and tutu at that time, but is now all grassed and fenced. The Dunsinane property consists of 1020 acres, which is all in splendid cultivation, except some beautiful patches of shelter bush. Mr. Coombe goes in for mixed farming. His flock of sheep number from 4000 to 5000, his cattle about one hundred, and his horses about twenty-five. The sheep are chiefly of the Lincoln variety. Mr. Coombe is married, and has three sons and two daughters, one of the latter being married. This enterprising colonist is an example of what may be accomplished by perseverance and hard work in this fertile district.
Crawford, Walter, Farmer, Mount Curl, Marton, Born in Dumfriesshire, Scotland, in 1827, Mr. Crawford's early days were spent in Kirkeudbright, where he was apprenticed to the building trade. In 1855 he left his native country for Australia, but only remained there for three months; arriving in Wellington at the time of the great earthquakes. Mr. Crawford soon found his way to the Rangitikei, where he took an active part in the formation of the first road board, of which he was elected a member, retaining his seat for several years. He resigned and became a large road contractor, eventually taking up his present holding about 1878. During the Maori trouble Mr. Crawford served with the Union Volunteers, remaining in the corps for twenty years, the last four of which he acted as lieutenant. Mr. Crawford has one son and four daughters, three of whom are married.
Photo by Billens.
Mr. W. Crawford.
Galpin, W. T., Farmer, Woodlands, Marton. Mr. Galpin was born in Wellington in 1841, his parents eventually settling in the Rangitikei District. In 1856, after having a farming experience in the district for twenty years, he took up “Woodlands.” The original holding was comparatively small, but Mr. Galpin has been continually adding to it, until it is now one of the finest estates on the West Coast. The homestead, which was completed in 1895, is a large building splendidly situated, the view taking in Kapiti Island, Egmont and Ruapehu mounts, and the Ruahine and Tararua ranges. Mr. Galpin was the first to introduce the Aberdeen Polled-Angus cattle to the district; in sheep he has tried several breeds, but finds the Lincoln the most profitable. His commodious woolshed is fitted with seven of the Wolseley sheep-shearing machines, driven by a traction-engine of six-horse-power. Mr. Galpin joined the Rangitikei Cavalry when first formed, and served until the corps was disbanded. He married in 1873 Miss Hammond, daughter of Mr. M. Hammond, of “Killimoon,” Bulls, and has five sons and two daughters.
Green, John, Farmer and Horse Trainer, Crofton, Marton. Born in Parnell, Auckland, his parents having arrived many years ago, Mr. Green left home at the early age of nine years, intending to carve out a career for himself. He was on board the ship “White Swan” at the time when the seat of Government was transferred to Wellington. On board that trip there were several page 1330 members of Parliament en route for the embryo Capital. The vessel was wrecked, and Mr. Green's misfortunes led to his being taken into the service of Sir William Fox, in which he remained for twenty years, rising to the position of butler, and afterwards to that of coachman. In 1886 Mr. Green started in business as a storekeeper in Crofton, but soon retired in favour of agriculture. The freehold which Mr. Green cultivates was purchased from Sir William Fox. It is situated within a mile of Marton, and is capable of producing from forty to forty-five bushels of oats, or from twenty-five to thirty bushels of wheat to the acre. Mr. Green has had large experience as a horse trainer, and does a great deal in this direction. He takes a considerable interest in Friendly Societies and has passed through all the chairs in the A.O. Foresters. He is a member of the Crofton School Committee. In the local hunt club Mr. Green holds the position of master jockey, and was successful in winning the silver cup presented by Mrs. R. Lethbridge, in 1834, to the Rangitikei Hunt Club.
The late Mr. R. Hammond.
Ingle, Henry, Willow Brook, Tatuenui Road, Rangitikei. Mr. Ingle was born in Knottingley, Yorkshire, and educated at Hull. He left in 1862 for Lyttelton per ship “Echunga.” Mr. Ingle's father was a farmer and lime burner in Yorkshire, and sent limestone to Lowmoor ironworks. For three or four years after his arrival in the Colony Mr. Ingle was farming in Canterbury. About the year 1866 he settled in the Rangitikei district. The Willow Brook Farm originally consisted of 1000 acres, of which 600 have been sold, and 400 are still retained. The whole has, however, been brought under cultivation, notwithstanding that it was in a very rough condition when purchased. The labour needed to accomplish this may be more easily imagined than described. Mr. Ingle is an all-round farmer, but devotes himself mainly to sheep and cattle raising. His sheep are of the Lincoln variety. He is married and has had a family of nine children, of whom eight are living.
McBeth, Alexander V., J.P., Farmer, Groveley, Marton. Mr. McBeth was born in Wellington in 1844, his parents having come out in the ship “Bengal” in 1840. His father carried on an extensive wholesale and retail business in Wellington until 1854, when he sold out and took up land in the Upper Rangitikei. He was the first to introduce sheep to the district, obtaining two lots from Kapiti, for which he paid twenty-one and thirty shillings per head respectively. Mr. McBeth joined the volunteers, and served in Captain Willcock's company during the Maori disturbances. Redoubts were built where the township of Marton now page 1331 stands, and at Fern Flats, Bonny Glen, and Dunsinane, the defence force being encamped at “York Farm.” Mr. McBeth takes an active part in local politics, being a member of the Rangitikei Licensing Bench and president of the Liberal Association. In 1869 he married Miss Milne, and has three daughters, one of whom is married to Mr. G. Shannon, of Waituna.
Photo by Billens.
Mr. A. V. McBeth.
McBeth, James, Farmer, Forgan Farm, Tutaenui Road. Mr. McBeth was born in Scotland, and left in 1839, per ship “Bengal Merchant,” in company with the Hon. John Bryce, and many other old colonists, landing in New Zealand in 1840. This ship was one of the first five which arrived in Port Nicholson. Mr. McBeth's father did good work in conjunction with Mr. E. J. Wakefield in advancing the settlement of the Colony. About 1860 Mr. McBeth came to Rangitikei. At the time of the maori war he joined the militia, and had to hold himself in readiness to proceed to the front, the instruction being, that his rifle should be kept at his bedside. Mr. McBeth's farm is 250 acres in extent, and all in a high state of cultivation, with the exception of seven acres of bush reserved for shelter. He has a nice flock of short-horned cattle and Lincoln sheep. He is a Liberal in politics, and supports the present Government. He is married, his family being three daughters.
McCrea, James, Sheepfarmer, Tokorangi, Marton. Born in Enniskillen, Ireland, in 1847, Mr. McCrea landed in New Plymouth in 1862. He took part in the military operations against the Maoris in Taranaki, serving three years as a military settler and two years in the “Bush Rangers.” In 1868 Mr. McCrea removed to Patea, where he assisted against the rebels. He took up 500 acres of land in the Rangitikei District in 1882, where he has since lived. Mr. McCrea has served as a member of the Porewa School Committee, and as a Forester he is attached to Court Little John, Marton. In 1877 he was married to a daughter of Mrs. Bett, of Marton, and has three sons and two daughters.
Meads, Zachariah, Farmer, Paraekaretu, Marton. This old colonist claims Wellington as his birthplace, having been born on Te Aro Flat in 1842. His parents removed to New Plymouth, where they stayed for a few years, but returned to Wellington, where Mr. Meads was educated, subsequently settling in the Wairarapa. They were camped on the summit of the Rimutaka during the night of the great earthquake of 1856. During their stay in the Wairarapa the Messrs. Meads had charge of Messrs. Gillies and Wilson's station. The subject of this sketch came to the Rangitikei in 1858, and having taken up land in the Parackaretu, assisted in driving the first sheep to the district. The chief outlet at this period was by Scott's Ferry, and the haulage was all done by bullocks. Mr. Meads during the Maori troubles served with the Union Volunteers, and the Rangitikei Cavalry, and was also in the militia. There is a fine homestead on his property containing twelve rooms. Mr. Meads married Miss Gray, and has six sons and ten daughters, one of the latter being head assistant-mistress of the College Street School, Palmerston North.page 1332
Photo by Billens.
Mr. Z. Meads.
Milne, Alexander, Settler, Rosebank, Marton. The late Mr. Milne was born in 1813 at Aberdeen, Scotland, and arrived in New Zealand per ship “Lady Nugent” in 1841. He settled in the Hutt District until 1857, when he removed to the Rangitikei, and took up the property now known as “Rosebank.” In the early days Mr. Milne took an active part in polities, local and general, having been a member of the Wellington Provincial Council and chairman of the Rangitikei County Council. He was a leading member of the Preshyterian Church. Mr. Milne, who died on the 24th of December, 1895, left three sons and three daughters. The property is now in the occupation of his son, Mr. William Milne, who is married and has two daughters.
Overton, Marton (the Hon. F. Arkwright's station), is a splendid estate of 1100 acres, which is all grassed and in cultivation; some very choice patches of native bush have been preserved for shelter. The property will carry about 3000 sheep all the year round, besides about fifty head of cattle, and other farm-stock. The manager and his men are provided with comfortable dwellings, with orchards, and paddocks for the proverbial cow. An engraving of Mr. Arkwright's residence appears on page 580 of this volume.
Mr. Alexander Cruickshank, Manager of Overton, is a son of Mr. J. D. Cruickshank, the well-known sawmiller of the Upper Hutt. Born at Kaiwar[unclear: i]a in 1851. the subject of this notice was for many years engaged in farming at the Hutt. In 1888 he gave up his farm and accepted the position of manager at Overton. As a member of the Masonic fraternity, he is attached to Lodge Ruapehu, No. 2137, in which he has held office as J.D. In 1878 Mr. Cruickshank was married to a daughter of the late Mr. William Gray, a prominent officer of the General Post Office, Wellington, an has a son and a daughter.
Photo by Billens.
Mr. A. Cruickshank.
Gray, William John, Farmer, Graystoke, Upper Tutaenui. Mr. Gray was born at Wanganui. His father settled in the district about 1865 or 1866. Graystoke, which is a beautiful farm of 440 acres, was rough land, mostly scrub, fern, and tutu, in addition to bush, when it was taken in hand by Mr. Gray's father. The subject of this notice was reared and brought up to the life of a country settler. He has had the farm himself since 1880. Every portion of this lovely spot is in a high state of cultivation. The house is charmingly situated on an eminence, behind which is one of the most choice patches of bush the writer has seen The sound of the tui and the blackbird is frequently heard from the house at any time of the day. Mr. Gray has a stock of about 1200 sheep and lambs of the Lincoln variety. He also cultivates about forty or fifty acres of grain. He is a member of the school committee.
Griffin, John, Ball Green, Upper Tutaenui. Mr. Griffin is a native of Scotland, and was brought up as a stone mason in Glasgow, where he resided for thirteen years. He left Scotland in May, 1858, for New Zealand per ship “Robert Small,” arriving in Wellington in October of the same year. For six years he was in Wellington with the Hon. John Johnston and Messrs. A. P. Stuart and Co. He settled in Rangitikei in 1866, having selected the present farm two years previously. The area of the farm is 307 acres, which was of rough scrub, fern, and bush, without any road to it when Mr. Griffin came to the district. As the result of his life's toil it is now all in splendid cultivation, being in grass and crops. Mr. Griffin believes in mixed farming, and has from eight to ten cows, and from four to five hundred sheep. He is a Liberal in polities, and a past member of the local school committee. Mr. Griffin gave a valuable corner section of half an acre for the purposes of the local school and headmaster's dwelling. He is in his 76th year, having been born in 1819. He has four sons and one daughter, all save one son being married. He has several grand children. One of his married sons lives on the farm. [Since the above was in type, Mr. Griffin has passed away. He died in 1896.]
Tapini, Maraenui, Farmer, Marton. Born in 1867 in Rangitikei, Mr. Tapini belongs to the Ngatipikiahu and Ngatiwaewae tribes. His father, Maraenui, was chief of the Ngatipikiahu tribe, and fought all through the Maori war against the English, and opposed the introduction of European customs and schemes. Tapini now takes his father's place as chief of the tribe. He has some 4500 acres of land in a state of semi-cultivation, and deals in sheep, horses, and cattle, devoting some attention to breeding blood stock. In 1880 he married the daughter of an old warrior, Kereopa, and has one son. Maraenui Tapini, like many Maori chiefs, has most of the people of the tribe living upon his bounty.