The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Distant 103 miles from the capital city of New Zealand, and about five miles by a good road from Feilding, this township is in the Manawatu County and in the Rangitikei Electorate. Regular daily coach lines ply to and from Feilding and Palmerston North, the local postmaster receiving and despatching mails every day. The district is always in touch with the outside world by means of its telephone bureau. Sales of cattle and sheep are held twice a mouth at the local yards. The district around Awahuri is all closely settled. To the west, sheep and cattle farming predominates, to the north (towards the Mount Stewart Range) grain is grown, while to the south potato and root crops are the principal products. Within a shortdistance is the Awahuri Bridge, over the Oroua River.
Awahuri Public School is situate on the Palmerston-Sandon Road, Awahuri. The school was established about the year 1878. The building occupied is of wood and iron, with good accommodation. The present number of children on the roll is seventy, with an average attendance of forty-five. There is a convenient playground attached to the school. Mr. E. H. Rogers is the headmaster.
The Endymion Hotel (M. O'Reilly, proprietor), Awahuri, This hotel, which was established in 1875, occupies one of the two prominent corners in the township. It is a large building of two stories, constructed of wood and iron, on leasehold ground. It contains twenty-two rooms, of which sixteen are bedrooms. There are two sitting-rooms, one of which is remarkably large. There is a capital dining-room, and a good bath with hot and cold water laid on. Behind the hotel are stables containing five stalls and seven loose-boxes. Mr. O'Reilly, who has been in possession since 1896, was born in Tipperary, and came to New Zealand per ship “Waitangi,” arriving in Lyttelton. He joined the Armed Constabulary force in September. 1880, continuing in connection with the service until April, 1890, being stationed at Wellington, and at Opunaki during the Maori disturbance. Subsequently, Mr. O'Reilly returned to Wellington, and was afterwards for three years in the Taupo district, during which time the road round Lake Taupo was being constructed by the force. At the time of the Russian scare Mr. O'Reilly was one of fifty men sent to Wellington to mount guns, and subsequently was transferred to Lyttelton for the same purpose. At the time of the Te Kooti scare Mr. O'Reilly was in Poverty Bay. Subsequently in Lyttelton he was transferred to the gaol as a warder, and afterwards occupied a similar position at the Wellington gaol until April, 1894, when he retired from the service. Mr. O'Reilly has been prominent as an athlete, and while resident in Canterbury, was a member of the old Sydenham Football Club, and in 1887–8 was reputed to be one of the best forwards, and played as a representative of Canterbury against the English, Otago, and Maori teams. While in Wellington Mr. O'Reilly was a member of the famous Poneke Club.
Tarrant, C. H., General Storekeeper, and Postmaster, Post office Store, Awahuri. Telegraphic address, “Tarrant, Awahuri.” Bankers, Union Bank of Australia, Palmerston North. This business was established in 1871 by Mr. Henry Bennett, the present proprietor having conducted the same since April, 1893. The Post-office Store is situated opposite the Endymion Hotel, on one of the two most prominent corners in the township. It is a handsome building, constructed of wood and iron, elected on freehold ground, and has fully 3000 square feet of floorage space. Mr. Tarrant's trade extends within a radius of five miles, his supplies being purchased in the Colony. He is agent for the New Zealand Insurance Company, and is a member of the local school committee. Mr. Tarrant was born at Clunes, Victoria, and left there for New Zealand in 1877. He learned his business with Messrs. Ross and Sandford, drapers, of Palmerston North, with whom he remained for seven years. Subsequently Mr. Tarrant managed the Foxton branch for his old employers, and later on was entrusted by the firm to open their branch at Woodville. Some years later he opened a branch business for Messrs. H. Wickett and Co., at Foxton, and another at Hastings, where he remained till burnt out by the great fire on February 9th, 1893.
Lucas, G. H., Farrier and General Blacksmith, Awahuri. Established 1893.
Stewart, H. G., Farrier and General Blacksmith, Awahuri. Established 1877.