The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Makino, a pretty little rural village situate by road some four miles north-east of Feilding, is not wanting in attractiveness. Tourists viewing the Manchester Block are wont to drive or ride out this way, all the surroundings being naturally picturesque. Gaining the Mangaone Saddle, capital views of the fertile valley of the Makino are attainable. It is all studded with brightly-hued farm lands and foreign plantations, through which peep gaily-painted cot and villa, and the beautiful homes of the wealthier squatters. Makino Road—a flag station — is the ninth station from the Longburn Junction on the Wanganni rail way line. It is fourteen miles from Palmerston North, its elevation being 337 feet above sea-level. There is a post and telegraph office at Makino, conducted by Mr. J. P. Cowie, at the local store, and mails are received and despatched daily. The village is in the Electoral District of Rangitikei and County of Oroua. It is the centre of a school district, having its public school under the jurisdiction of the Wanganni Education Board.
Makino Road School, which was established in 1886, is conducted in a two-roomed building, having seating accomodation for 100 pupils. There are seventy-eight children on the roll.
Mr. Samuel Wyllie, Headmaster of the Makino Road School, was born in Kaiapoi in 1863, and was educated in Canterbury. He has been engaged in teaching about nine years. Mr. Wyllie married a daughter of Mr. Thomas Allen, of Taranaki, and has one son and one daughter.
Corpe, William Westcombe, Dairy-farmer, Makino. Mr. Corpe is the owner of the large butter factory at Makino, where he carries on a very large business, being supplied with milk by the settlers for many miles around the country. He was the first to start this industry in the district, and it can be easily seen what an immense amount of help an institution of this kind is to the small farmers. The brands manufactured by him are well known, amongst them being “Safe” brand, “Top” and “K” brands. He uses the Alexander Cream Separator, box churns, and all latest appliances, whilst the factory itself is a perfect gem of neatness. Mr. Corpe was born in Somersetshire in 1836, and received his education in that county. On its completion he went to Windsor and there carried on a business with his brother as provision merchants for several years. In 1858 Mr. Corpe resolved to come to New Zealand, and accordingly took passage in the ship “Robert Small” and landed in Wellington. He received an appointment as clerk to the Nelson Brewery, in which position he remained for six years. He then obtained a position as station manager in the Pelorus Valley for three years. Mr. Corpe then went to the Wairarapa, where as farmer and sawmiller he was well known for the next seventeen years. Then he proceeded to Feilding, where he busied himself in establishing butter factories in various parts of the district. He is the owner of property in the Pohangina and Kiwitea districts. When in the Wairarapa, Mr. Corpe took great interest in all local affairs, and was for five years chairman and treasurer of the Clareville School Committee. He was for twelve years a member of the Taratahi and Carterton Highway Board. Mr. Corpe is married to a daughter of the late Mr. John Crease, of Milverton, Somerset, and they have one son and one adopted daughter. As a settler in the early days in Marlborough, Mr. Corpe saw some very rough times, and he relates how he was the first to drive a cow across the notorious Maungatapu Ranges, carrying his blankets on the animal. He was also one of the first at the famous Whakamarina gold rush, but soon returned to his own business.
Reid, William, Farmer, Makino. Mr. Reid's valuable farm of 360 acres of freehold property, on which he winters over 1000 Romney sheep, which have sprung from five pure-bred Romney rams imported by Mr. Reid from the Wairarapa at great expense, is situated in the borough of Feilding, two miles from Manchester Square. In addition to the stud flock, Mr. Reid has a herd of fifteen Alderney cows, and is a large supplier to the local creamery. He breeds a useful stamp of farm horse, in exhibiting which he has been remarkably successful at the agricultural shows. Of the farm, sixty acres are under cultivation, and the results are very encouraging. A fine homestead is situated on this property, and also wool-shed and all the necessary out-buildings.
Roots, Joseph Bridgement, Farmer, Makino. Mr. Roots is the owner of the well-known “Ti Grove Farm,” situated at the junction of the Makino and Stanway Roads. The property consists of about 437 acres of first-class sheep-grazing country, carrying some 1200 crossbred sheep, besides a number of cattle. The house is a well-built, comfortable structure of two stories, containing eight rooms. The usual woolshed, stables, stalls, loose-boxes, sheep-yards, and dip, are within easy reach of the main building. Mr. Roots has occupied his present home for the last ten years, and is well known in the surrounding district. In the Stanway district he may be regarded as one of the early settlers in connection with that thriving pastoral country. Mr. Roots has done a great deal of good in the Feilding district, where, in the early days, he erected many of the leading buildings, among others being the well-known Glasgow House. He also induced many of the best settlers to take up their permanent residence in that thriving town. Mr. Roots was born in London in 1836, and came to the Colony with his parents in 1841, per “Stains Castle.” He received his education in Wellington, and for several years was farming in that district. He was engaged for some years in preaching in the Wairarapa, and afterwards established a large sawmill near Feilding. Afterwards he decided to again adopt pastoral pursuits, and acquired his present property, on which he has resided for the last ten years. It may be interesting to note that Mr. Roots in his younger days was an adept at cricket, and was a member of the first representative team which left Wellington. In those times Mr. Roots had the reputation of being one of the smartest fields and best bats in the Wellington Province. Even now, though past sixty years, Mr. Roots might well pass for a man twenty years younger, and both his actions and conversation bespeak a man of active mind and habits. He was one of the founders of the old Porirua Rifle Club, and was reckoned one of the crack shots of the same. Mr. Roots is married to a daughter of Mr. Reid, well-known in Wanganui, and has one son and a daughter.
Attwood, William, Rope, Twine, Sail and Horse-Cover Manufacturer, Makino. Established 1894.