The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Professional, Commercial, And Industrial
Professional, Commercial, And Industrial.
Carr, Charles, Land, Stock, and General Auctioneer, Valuator, and Stock Agent, Kimbolten Road, Feilding. Telegraphic address, “Carr, Feilding.” P.O. Box 95. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Mr. Carr is an Englishman, and was brought up on the London Stock Exchange, and had a general experience of mercantile life, coming to New Zealand in 1876 per ship “St. Leonards.” In 1880 Mr. Carr was manager of the Bank of Australasia, on the West Coast. He was subsequently for seven years with Mr. F. R. Jackson, and more recently acted as auctioneer for the United Farmers' Alliance. The business was originally founded by Halcombe and Shed will in 1879, Mr. Carr taking it over in 1893 from the Alliance. Mr. Carr has yards at Birmingham, accommodating about 4000 sheep and 150 cattle; sales on the second Tuesday in each month. His Feilding yards, which will hold 15,000 sheen and 1560 head of stock, are used monthly on the second Friday, while at the Rangiwahia and Cheltenham yards periodical sales are held. Mr. Carr's sales are large and well patronised.
Goodbehere, Edmund, Land, Estate, Commission, Insurance, and General Agent, Valuator, etc., Manchester Square, Feilding. Telegraphic address, “Goodbehere, Feilding.” P.O. Box 45. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Private residence, North Field. Mr. Goodbehere is a son of Mr. Samuel Goodbehere, solicitor, of the firm of Goodbehere and Richmond, of Feilding. He was born in Birmingham, England, and came to New Zealand by the Orient line of steamers, via Melbourne, arriving in 1880. Having been brought up to mercantile life, in which he had considerable experience in the Old Country, Mr. Goodbehere established the present business in 1881. Since the latter date he has been prominent in the commercial me or the town and has conduction a considerable business ever since. Mr. Goodbehere is agent for the Australian Mutual Provident Society and the Commercial Union Fire Insurance Company. He also undertakes every description of insurance business. As a valuer Mr. Goodbehere has a wide experience. For the past nine years he has been employed to make the valuations for the Property Tax and Land Tax Departments. In making these valuations Mr. Goodbehere has become acquainted with every portion of the wide and fertile district of which Feilding is the centre. He is therefore fully qualified to afford reliable information as to the most suitable properties that are open for settlement in the locality. The subject of this notice has made complete arrangements for carrying on a large financial business, and is prepared to negotiate loans to any extent at lowest current rates of interest. Further reference to Mr. Goodbehere's public career will be found under the heading of “Feilding Borough.”page 1234
Mr. E. Goodbehere.
Sherwill, Hugh Lind, Licensed Land Broker, Land, Estate, Financial and Insurance Agent, Kimbolton Road. P.O. Box 46. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Grey Street. Branch, The Square, Palmerston North. Mr. Sherwill is a native of Scotland, and came to New Zealand in 1859. He was brought up to mercantile life, having a thorough training in all branches. Mr. Sherwill came to Feilding in the early days of the settlement of this fine district, founding his present business in 1878. He has been a prominent figure in the business fife of the town since settling in the district. Soon after the incorporation of the Feilding Borough Council, he was elected a councillor, and on two occasions subsequently he has satisfactorily occupied the position of mayor. For ten or twelve years Mr. Sherwill has been a Justice of the Peace. In athlatices he has for many years taken a keen interest, and is secretary of the Feilding Athletic Sports Committee. As a Mason he has taken every office in connection with the local lodge. Mr. Sherwill's business extends throughout the entire Colony. It is well known that he can be trusted with any confidential business. All classes of land and estate agency transactions are promptly negoiated, but the speciality of his business is as a licensed land broker. Mr. Sherwill is one of the oldest on the Coast, having commenced about sixteen years ago, and as such prepares deeds and mortgages under the Land Transfer Act. He is agent for the Phœnix Fire Office, of London, and the New Zealand Accident Insurance Company.
Watson, Thomas, Woolbroker, Land and Commission Agent, Bartholomew's Buildings, Kimbolton Road, Feilding. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Private residence, Denbigh Street. Agent for the Royal Exchange Fire Insurance Company, Colonial Mutual Life Assurance Company, Messrs. Laery and Co., Limited, Wellington. Messrs. Rouse and Hurrell, Wellington, and the Cheltenham Dairy Factory. Mr. Watson is also Registrar of Electors for Rangitiket, secretary and treasurer of the Free Public Library, and clerk to the Pohangina County Council. His business premises consist of a large produce warehouse, with office attached, in Bartholomew's Buildings. He conducts a continually expanding grain and farm produce distributing agency. Mr. Watson was born in Lanark, Scotland, in 1855, and came out to Queensland when a boy. After engaging in sheep-farming pursuits there and in New Zealand, he opened an auctioneer's business in Blenheim, which he gave up in 1894 to come to Feilding. While in Blenheim he was prominent in the public and social life of the place. He is married and has three children.
Wilson, A. and Co. (Alexander and Samuel Wilson), Woolbrokers, Warwick Street, Feilding. Established 1892. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. This firm conduct an extensive trade in wool, hides, and skins. Their wool store is some sixty feet by thirty feet, and is generally filled to the doors. The fellmongery business is in Wanganui, where the firm scour large quantities of wool every year. Messrs. Wilson export wool, hides, pelts and tallow, and have a large turnover in these lines. Mr. Samuel Wilson was born in Belfast, Ireland, in 1836, and educated there. After leaving school, he learned the business of a woollen-draper with a relative, and then spent some time on his father's farm. In 1861 he came to New Zealand, landing at Lyttelton. He started wool-buying in Canterbury, and during the period from 1870 to 1876 was one of the largest shippers of wool in that province. He is an expert wool-classer, and still does all his own classing. He is married and has one son and three daughters. Mr. Alexander Wilson, his son, was born in Sefton, Canterbury, in 1865, and educated at Rangiora. On leaving school he went into business with his father, and has continued with him ever since. He is captain of the Fielding Fire Brigade, a member of the Manchester Rifles, and an Oddfellow. His private residence is in Manchester Street.
Ratcliff Bros. (Alfred Edmund Ratcliff and Sidney Septimus Ratcliff), Land, Estate, and Commission Agents, Kimbolton Road, Feilding. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established 1892.
James, Thomas Harvey, Architect, Kimbolton Road, Feilding. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Kimbolton Road (about a mile east of business premises). Mr. James began business in Palmerston North in the year 1889, and remained there for four years, during which time he designed and erected some of the finest buildings in the district. The Colonial Bank at Palmerston North, one of the handsomest buildings in Palmerston, was erected under the supervision of Mr. James. The private residence of Mr. J. R. Johnson, finished in lath and plaster, and one of the finest houses in the district, is also among those designed and erected by Mr. James. In conjunction with Mr. Clere, of Wellington, Mr. James won the prize for the best design for the Palmerston North Hospital, but this building was erected and supervised by another architect. On his own account he was successful in winning the first prize in the competition for the Grand Stand, Palmerston North, thus winning two of the three competitions for which he has entered. The Oddfellows' Hall, the shop of Mr. Hugli, Palmerston North, and the private residence of Mr. Hankins, were designed and built by Mr. James, as also were the premises of Messrs. Hallenstein Bros. at Dannevirke and Feilding. Important additions to Mrs. Hastie's Feilding Hotel have recently been made under Mr. James' supervision, and from plans prepared by him the page 1235 Feilding branch of U.F.C.A. brick premises drapery department, costing £2,000, also Feilding Club, and the Feilding Municipal Buildings. The Feilding Wesleyan Church is another of Mr. James' creations, and reflects the greatest credit on his ability as a tasteful and economical architect. The design of the building inside gives a very pleasing effect, while the acousite properties are all that could be desired and are said to be the best for a church of its size on the coast; the church will seat about 250. Mr. James is architect for the Star Bowkett Building Society and the Feilding Building Society, a post he has held since his removal into the district in 1893. Born in Greymouth, on the West Coast of New Zealand, in 1867, Mr. James was educated at Wanganui, and articled to Mr. F. de J. Clere, F.R.I.B.A., of Wellington.
Mr. T. H. James.
Owen, Frank, Authorised and Licensed Surveyor, Kimbolton Road, Feilding. Mr. Owen was born in Dulwich, England, in 1851, and after attending a private school he completed his education in Dulwich College. When fifteen years of age he went to sea, and was engaged for two years on a vessel trading between London and Wellington. He left the vessel at Wellington and worked on the wharves there for about a year. He eventually joined the surveying staff with Mr. E. J. Campion, and for several years was engaged in surveying with that gentleman and Mr. T. W. Downes in the Wellington Province. In 1870, when the Manchester Block was surveyed and opened. Mr. Owen, who had been engaged on the survey of the block, decided to strike out for himself. He secured quantity of surveying work on the West Coast of the North Island from the New Zealand Government. When that was finished he opened an office in Feilding, from which he now conducts a large business, extending about fifty miles up the coast. He gets work from the Kiwitea County Council and Manchester Road Board, and obtains numerous engagements throughout the district. Mr. Owen was present with the Manchester Rifles at the Parihaka native difficulty. He is married, and resides in Feilding.
Mr. F. Owen.
Hill, George Cole, C.E., Architect and Land Agent. Kimbolton Road, Feilding. Private residence, Denbigh Street Mr. Hill founded the present business in 1881. He has twice valued Feilding for the Property and Land Tax Departments in the triennial assessments, and is valuer for the borough for local rating purposes, the latter position having been held by him for fifteen years. Mr. Hill knows the district thoroughly, and undertakes the leasing and selling of dwellings, shops, and farms. As a civil engineer he undertakes the laying-off of roads, and the designing of bridges and similar works. Those who desire any information concerning Feilding and district will find the subject of this article at all times able and willing to satisfy their requirements. Further particulars of Mr. Hill will be found under the heading of “Feilding Borough Council,” of which he is town clerk.
Coles, Arthur, Baker and Confectioner, Manchester Street, Feilding. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Coles is a native of Hampshire, reaching New Zealand in 1872, via Melbourne. He has for years been a farmer in Palmerston North, and more recently at Makaretu, H. B. While in the latter district Mr. Coles was chairman of the Ashley-Clinton Road Board and the School Committee. He was also a member of the Library Committee and Cemetery Trust. The present business was founded by Mr. Matthews in 1882. Mr. Coles purchased in 1894, and employs an expert tradesman as baker. The wooden building occupied contains about 1800 feet of floorage space.
Gould, John, Baker, Denbigh Street, Feilding. Mr. Gould established his present extensive wholesale and retail bakery business in 1884. Further reference to Mr. Gould will be found under “Feilding Borough.”
Cornish Bros. (Thomas Richard Cornish and John Cornish), Fruiterers and Confectioners, Kimbolton Road, Feilding. Established 1896.
Pope, Frederick, Builder and Contractor, Bowen Street, Feilding. Private address, Makino Road. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. This business was established by Mr. Pope in 1874, and was afterwards carried on by Messrs. Pope and Pearson. Mr. Pearson retired in 1892, and since then Mr. Pope has continued on his own account. A large quantity of seasoned timber is at all times kept in stock, so that Mr. Pope is in a position to supply the trade generally. Mr. Pope was born in 1824. His father, a well-known City draper, died when the subject of this sketch was quite young. Educated at the Grammar School, Hanley, Staffordshire, by his grandfather, Mr. John Pope, a retired gentleman, he entered the service of Coxon and Son, large architects and builders, and after remaining in the office two years was apprenticed to the same firm, where he served a term of five years. It may be mentioned that in those days an architect had to learn the trade of a carpenter, stonemason, bricksetter, etc. He then entered into business on his own account and erected the shops of Parliament Row, High Street. In 1845 he commenced building the town of Northwood now a flourishing city—where he erected numerous dwellings. It was not till 1869 that Mr. Pope left Northwood, and during that time whole streets were built by his firm, which was latterly styled Pope and Stedman. A new town then sprang into existence—Barrow-in-Furness—where Mr. Pope spent five years in the building trade, and was afterwards employed in the shipbuilding for a short period. He then resolved to make New Zealand his home, and landed in Wellington in November, 1874, per ship “Douglas,” and came on to Feilding with the Colonists' Land and Loan Company. Since Mr. Pope established his business in Feilding, he has built the Manchester, Empire, and Hastie's Hotels, besides other large buildings. The late General Feilding, on his recent visit to the Colony, personality congratulated Mr. Pope on being an old and prosperous settler. Mr. Alexander Pope, F.R.I.B.A., is a nephew of Mr. Pope, from whom he gained his early experience. His son, Mr. Harry Pope, late of the Evening Post, Wellington, is well known in athletic circles.
Mr. F. Pope.
Watts, Walter, builder, Fitzroy Street, Feilding.
Hodren, Walter, Aerated Water and Cordial Manufacturer, Feilding. Steam Works, Queen Street, Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established 1892.
Watson Bros. (James and Alexander Watson), Painters, Paperhangers and Decorators, Kimbolton Road. Feilding. Established 1890. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Messrs. Watson Bros., who are both natives of Rangiora, Canterbury, have a well-stocked shop with a frontage of about twenty-two feet to Kimbolton Road. From this they conduct an extensive business in their line, and have executed many large contracts in the Feilding district. The painting, glazing, and decorating of several of the churches, the Feilding Club, Feilding Hotel, and several large business establishments, have been entrusted to this firm. Their stock comprises several thousand pieces of paper and a large assortment of paints, oils, glass, artists' requisites and mouldings. Picture-framing is a branch of the business which brings much credit to the firm, and their graining and marbling is of a high order.
New Zealand Clothing Factory (Hallenstein Bros., proprietors), Manchester Street, Feilding. Local manager, Mr. George E. Johnson. The Feilding branch of this large concern was established in 1892.
Williamson, Archibald, Tailor and Habit Maker, Manchester Street, Feilding. Telegraphic address, “Williamson, Feilding.” Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Williamson is a native of the Shetland Isles, and reached New Zealand about 1874. He was apprenticed to John Martin, of Napier, and subsequently he went to Australia, where he learned to be an expert cutter under Mr. Silk, of Holly's. Mr. Williamson was afterwards at leading establishments, such as David Jones and Co., of Sydney, and Southwill Coultis, of Melbourne, where he had a large experience. He founded the business in 1891, and has conducted a growing trade ever since. The building, which is built of wood, contains about 1200 square feet of floorage space. Mr. Williamson's stock is considerable, and he is intending to arrange for regular importations of the best qualities of British tweeds. His specialty is bespoke work of the best style and quality.
Cobbe, John George, Draper, Clothier and Fancy Goods Dealer, corner of Manchester Street and Kimbolton Road, Feilding. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Established 1888.
Spence and Spence (William Spence and Geo. Spence), Drapers, Milliners and Clothiers, Fergusson Street, Feilding. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established 1884, and conducted by present proprietors since 1893.
Flyger, Geo., Tailor and Habitmaker. Manchester Street, Feilding. Bankers Bank of Australasia. Established 1894.
Martin, Edward, Tailor and Clothier, Manchester Street, Feilding. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established 1890.
Brent, Isaac, Cabinetmaker, Central Furnishing Warehouse, Kimbolton Road, Feilding. Established 1890. Mr. Brent's warehouse is a wooden building, with a frontage to Kimbolton Road, and is well stocked with everything in the furnishing line. The various articles of furniture are displayed to advantage in a well-lighted show-room. Behind the show-room is the workshop and store-room. Mr. Brent is a native of prince Edward's Island, where his father worked as a builder. In 1855 Mr. Brent came with his father to Nelson, New Zealand. Upon leaving school he served an apprenticeship to a cabinetmaker. In 1890 he came to Feilding and opened his present business. Mr. Brent takes an interest in church matters, and is a trustee of the local Wesieyan Church.
Shearer, Walter George, Cabinetmaker, Upholsterer, and Undertaker, Manchester Street, Feilding. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Private residence, Denbigh Street. Mr. Shearer was born in Australia, and served his apprenticeship with Mr. George Tiller, of Wellington, He has a complete plant, consisting of a circular saw, lathes, and other machinery. Mr. Shearer makes all classes of furniture both for stock and order. He has had large experience in the North and South Islands, having been manager of a local business for three years, and for a similar period in Woodville on his own account. His business was established in 1888. He is an importer, and has a good connection. Mr. Shearer is a member of the school committee. He takes great interest in musical matters, and has conducted the singing in the Prasbyterian Church for many years. He is the leader of the temperance choir.
Denbigh Hotel (William Light, proprietor), Feilding. The Denbigh Hotel is one of the oldest established in Feilding, having been in existence for twenty years, the last ten years of which time it has been occupied by the present proprietor. The house is most commodious, and is replete with every comfort and convenience. As showing in what estimation Mr. and Mrs. Light are held, it may be mentioned that the Commercial Travellers' Association voted their support and patronage to the Denbigh. The house itself is very comfortable, and consists of some twenty bedrooms, large dining-room, reading-room, commercial room, and several parlours. In the rear of the building are commodious sample-rooms and stables, besides numerous other out-buildings. An experienced man is in charge of the stables. The tariff of this first-class hotel is eight shilling per day, with special terms to permanent lodgers. Mr. Light, the proprietor, was born in Surrey, England, in 1833, and after completing his education he entered the mercantile marine, in which service he remained for fourteen years. After passing through many perilous adventures, he resolved to make his home in New Zealand, and soon entered the hotel business.
Empire Hotel (James S. Palmer, proprietor, Fergusson Street, Feilding, first hotel from the railway station. Telegraphic address, “Empire, Feilding.” P.O. Box 5. Bankers. Bank of New Zealand. The Empire is conveniently situated within, one minute of the station. It is a comfortable two-story wooden building, containing twenty-nine rooms available for the public. The bedrooms, numbering seventeen, contain twenty-four beds. There are two good sitting rooms upstairs, available for ladies and families while five well furnished parlors are found on the ground floor. The dining-room is of large size, and is well appointed. In connection with the hotel there is plenty of good stabling accommodation, whiel is well kept and attended. This house was established in 1880.
Hastie's Feilding Hotel (Mrs. Hastie, proprietress), Manchester Square and Kimbolton Road, Feilding, Telegraphic address, “Hastie, Feilding.” P.O. Box 66. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. This fine hotel was established in 1875. The present proprietress has conducted it with singular success since 1880. The premises, which are complete in every particular, are freehold. The hotel is a substantial two-story wooden structure of page 1238 about fifty rooms, many of them being very large. There is a fine balcony the entire length of the two frontages. The appearance from the road is unique, for this excellent balcony is lined with rows of plants and flowering shrubs of all kinds. In spring and summer there is a blaze of colour, which is exceedingly attractive. The accommodation has always been excellent, and important additions have recently been made. The upstairs of this new portion includes a fine sitting-room, which is beautifully furnished, and several bedrooms, besides an extra bathroom, fifted, of course, with hot and cold water. The bedrooms are all that could be desired, large, lofty, and well-ventilated. The furnishing is excellent in every respect, the beds being remarkable for their luxurious comfort. Everything is well kept and particularly clean. Mrs. Hastie has, during the last year or so, provided several new suites of apartments for commercial men, as distinguished from those reserved for country settlers, of whom there is always a large number in and out. The dining-room is cheerful and well-lighted, the tables being supplied with all the necessary appointments. There is, indeed, a home-likeness about Mrs. Hastie's hotel which makes a visit extremely enjoyable. The kitchen, which communicates by a slide door, has every convenience, and is presided over by and excellent chef, whose cooking is superb. One portion of the hotel was, until recently, set apart for the gentlemen's club, which occupied a splendid suite of rooms beautifully upholstered and furnished. As a commercial house Hastie's Hotel knows no superior. The rooms set apart for gentlemen who are engaged in business, are numerous and well supplied with every convenience. Flowers are to be seen everywhere; even the interior rooms are so contrived that strips of garden run in between them, imparting a fragrance everywhere noticeable. The sample-rooms of the Feilding Hotel are said to be the best on the West Coast of the North Island. One is built of brick so as to provide the best possible security against fire. Adjoining the hotel, Mrs. Hastie has had a large Assembly Room erected, which is available at all times for theatrical purposes, entertainments, or meetings of any description There is an excellent stage, with scenery, dressing-rooms, and all conveniences for performances, rehearsals, banquets, etc. It is used for the purposes of practising by the local musical societies and others. Commercial men and other visiting Feilding always have a good name for the Feilding Hotel and its interprising proprietress. There are two separate billiard-rooms on the ground floor, which contain two very fine tables, one being manufactured by the well-known makers, Messrs. Alcock, and the other by Messrs. Burroughes and Watts. At the back of the hotel are large and convenient stables. The land on which the hotel is built is about an acre in extent, and contains a large orchard, besides many beautiful ornamental and shelter trees. There are snug summer-houses and seats in the shade, where visitors may enjoy the cool, refreshing breezes as they play among the trees and flowers. Besides the regular stream of commercial and other travellers flowing in and out, Mrs. Hastie has a permanent number of boarders, many of whom are gentlemen well and popularly known in the district, whose presence lends an additional charm both to casual patrons and to those whose visits are recurring. The Feilding Hotel was the one patronised by the late General Feilding on the occasion of his visit to the Manchester settlement in 1895. The water-supply for the hotel is obtained by means of a fourteen-foot wind pump. The store-room is separate from the main building, and many hundreds of pounds worth of stock is regularly kept on hand. The kerosene store is also on another part of the section; and in order that meat and other provisions used in the hotel may be kept cool, a large brick meat safe page 1239 has been erected at the very back of the allotment in the garden. Mrs. Hastie came to New Zealand in 1874, and after residing for a short time in various parts of the Colony, settled in Feilding as above.
Temperance Hotel (Mrs. M. A. Toy, proprietress), Kimbolton Road, Feilding. The Feilding is situated at the corner of Kimbolton Road and Stafford Street. It was established in 1891. The hotel is fairly large, containing nine bedrooms with the necessary complement of sitting and other rooms; but the accommodation is a ready fully taxed, and must soon be increased. The tariff is exceedingly reasonable eighteen shilling per week for regular boarders and “a shilling all round” for casual visitors. Mrs. Toy is very attentive to her customers. The hotel is neatly fitted up, and is particularly clean and comfortable. There is a five stall stable in connection with the hotel, and good paddocking is also provided.
Manchester Hotel (William Thomas Watts, proprietor), Feilding. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand.
Worsfold, J. H., Boardinghousekeeper, Manchester Street, Feilding. The restaurant and boardinghouse now being conducted by Mr. Worsfold, was established in 1876 by Mr. J. Pollock, who successfully carried it on for some fourteen years. Mr. Worsfold purchased it in 1890, and in 1984 rebuilt the premises and furnished them new throughout. It is a fine house, containing fifteen rooms, with sitting and drawing-rooms, etc., and a front shop in the main street. The building is of wood and iron, and two stories. There is a bakery attached to the establishment, and confectionery of all kinds is displayed. Mr. Worsfold's tariff is what is known as “a shilling all round,” or 18s. per week for permanent boarder. The Louse is scrupulously clean, and well kept. Mr. Worsfold is a native of England, and arrived is New Zealand in 1874, per ship “Ocean [gap — reason: illegible].” from London.
Clerke, Mrs. Boardinghousekeeper, London Boardinghouse, Fergusson Street. Feilding. Established 1895.
Sheehy, Roderick, Farrier and General Black smith, Manchester Shoeing Forge, Manchester Street, Feilding. Telegaphic address, “Sheehy, Feilding.” Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Private residence, Manchester Street. Mr. Sheehy is a native of New Zealand. He was apprenticed to Mr. W. Parks, of Wanganui, completing his term in 1888. He founded his business in 1892. His freehold premises, which have 900 square feet of floorage space, are built of wood and iron. Mr. Sheehy gives special attention to shoeing racehorses. He is an Oddfellow, and takes an active part in football and horse-racing.
Baker, W. and Co., Blacksmiths and Wheelwrights, Feilding. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, West Street. Established 1881.
Parr, Robert, Coachbuilder and General Blacksmith, Kimbolton Road, Feilding. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Established 1887.
Taylor, John, Farrier and General Blacksmith, Manchester Square, Feilding. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Established 1884.
Belfit, M., Saddler and Harness Maker, Manchester Street, Feilding. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Private residence, Queen Street. Mr. Belfit is a native of Middlesex, and arrived in New Zealand in 1874, per ship “Golden Lea,” from London. He was educated in the Manawatu district, and learned his business there. He has a fine shop in the main street of the town, the floorage space being thirty-two feet by forty-five. His property is freehold, and such portion as he does not need for the business he lets off. The building is of wood and iron. Mr. Belfit has a good business, which gives employment to some three or four hands, and supplies a large district. He has taken a considerable interest in public affairs, and is a member of the Ancient Order of Foresters, in which society he has passed all the chairs, and now holds the office of “past chief ranger,” He has long been a member of the Feilding Fire Brigade in the position of lientenant.
Collins, Richard Reeve, Saddler and Harness Maker, Kimbolten Road, Feilding. Telegraphic address, “Collins, Feilding.” Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Collins has had many years of experience in New South Wales, and various parts in New Zealand. He was in business in Carterton for four years. The present business was founded in 1888, and has been conducted by Mr. Collins ever since. The convenient freehold owned and occupied by him consists of a two-story building of wood and iron, containing 3300 square feet of floorage space. Mr. Collins imports direct from Messrs. Brace and Co., and Butler Bros., of Walsall, and other firms. He makes all his own collars on the premises, and has a good name for saddlery and harness. His business extends over a radius of fifty miles.
Jackson, H. I., Boot and Shoe Importer and Manufacturer, Manchester Street, Feilding. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Kimbolton Road. Mr. Jackson began business in Feilding in 1892. His shop is a good one, containing a 1000 square feet of floorage space, with a fine large window, nicely dressed. The building is wood and iron, and is situated in the very centre of Feilding. Though Mr. Jackson's principal trade is done in the sales department, he does a very fair business in the bespoke work. He has sufficient in this line to keep one hand regularly employed. Considering the short time he has been established, his progress has been very creditable. He is attentive to his customers and enterprising, and with a reasonable assistance from Dame Fortune should do very well. Mr. Jackson is a native of Sussex, England, but came to New Zealand when very young, in 1875, per “Carnatic,” from London. He learned his business with the well known firm of Suckling Bros., of Christchurch, completing his term in 1881. Though so recently established in Feilding, Mr. Jackson has been chesen secretary of the Manchester Lodge of Oddfellows, and F secretary of the Hope of Feilding Lodge, I.O.G.T.
Pearson, William, Boot and Shoemaker and Importer Fergusson Street, Feilding. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Pearson came from London, his native place, in 1874 per ship “Douglas.” He was apprenticed in Feilding. He founded the business in 1888. The floor space occupied is nearly 1500 square feet.
Svendsen, S., Boot and Shoe Importer and Manufacturer, Manchester Street, Feilding. Telegraphic address, “Svendsen, Feilding.” Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Private residence, East Street. Mr. Svendsen is a native of Norway, where he learned his trade with T. Pedersen of Kongs teen Street, Stavanger, completing his apprenticeship in 1870. In 1873 he came to this Colony per Norwegian ship “Hovding,” direct from Christiana. After spending a couple of years at his trade in Waipawa and Wellington, Mr. Svendsen began business on his own account in Palmerston North in 1876. Two years later, in 1878, he opened in Feilding, and is doing well. He imports boots and shoes of all kinds. The office of treasurer to the Manchester Lodge of Oddfellows, Feilding, is held by Mr. Svendsen.page 1240
[unclear: Isaacs,] Harris, Bootmaker, Fergusson Street, Feilding. Established 1896.
Healey, George, Saddler and Harness Maker, Kimbolton Road, Feilding. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established 1896.
Trewin, James, Boot Importer and Manufacturer, Kimbolton Road. Feilding Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established 1894.
Heyne and Lloyd (A. R. Nevill Hayne and Walter Birch Lloyd), Land, Estate and Commission Agents. Fergusson Street, Feilding. Telegraphic address, “Hayne, Feilding.” P.O. Box 77. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Both Mr. Hayne and Mr. Lloyd are Englishmen. The above business was founded in 1894, and in 1895 Mr. Lloyd was Admitted as a partner. The firm undertake general commission business, and the ready sale properties find in their hands has largely increased the business, which extends throughout the large and fertile district, of which Feilding is the market town. They represent the Shaw, Savill and Albion Co., Messageries Maritimes, North Queensland Fire Insurance Company, The Scottish Metropolitan Accident Assurance, and John Haddon and Co., of London, wholesale export merchants. Both are young men of considerable energy, and these qualities will no doubt bring success.
United Farmers' Co-operative Association, Limited, Storekeepers, General Produce, Seed, and Grain Merchants, Kimbolton Road, Feilding. Manager for Feilding, Mr Henry Whitworth Davy. P.O. Box 3. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Manager's residence, Beattie Street. This old established business was founded in the early days of settlement in Feilding, by Mr. D. R. Lewers. Subsequently it fell into the hands of Mr. S. J. Thompson, who conducted the business for about eight years, till in 1892 it was purchased by Messrs. Davy and Mills. The building, which is of wood and iron, has been considerably enlarged, and now affords fully 5000 square feet of floorage space. When the Manawatu Farmers' Co-operative Association amalgamated with the United Farmers' Association, this business was acquired, the services of Mr. Davy [gap — reason: illegible] as Manaser of the branch. The volume of traderat this establishment increased so rapidly that the directors were compelled to enlarge the premises.
Dunlop, John, Coal, Lime, and Drain-pipe Merchant, Kimbolton Road, Feilding. Telegraphic address, “Dunlop, Feilding.” Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Private residence, Warwick Street. Though Mr. Dunlop has been but a few years in Feilding, his experience of the Colony spreads over a period of twenty years, and for some eighteen years prior to that he was in Melbourne, Victoria, where he was mainly occupied in the manufacture of machinery of all kinds. His premises at Feilding are fairly large, and most centrally situated, and though he has only been established since 1892, he has quite a large business. His premises have a frontage to Kimbolton Road of about forty feet, exclusive of yards and sheds for the reception and storage of various kinds of goods. Among the agencies held by Mr. Dunlop may be mentioned those of the Wellington Meat Export Company, Mr. Brook's Mauriceville lime, and Mr. R. O. Clark's Auckland drain pipes. The manures of the Wellington Meat Export Company are in considerable demand, the bone manure being one of the specialties of the firm. The Mauriceville lime is well known to be of excellent quality, and Mr. Brooks may be congratulated on securing an agent in Feilding so generally popular as is Mr. Dunlop. Mr. Dunlop is a native of Ayr, Scotland, where he was educated and learned his business In 1858 he left the “Land o' Cakes,” allured to the great Southern Continent of Australia by the almost fabulous reports of the rich finds of gold which were daily occurrences in those times. He came over to New Zealand in 1876, and, still following the golden thread, Mr. Dunlop found himself on the West Coast, where his Australian experience was very useful to him. After a sojourn of some years in that part of the country, he removed to Kaikoura, and there turned his attention to sawmilling. To call to the mind of New Zealanders the wonderful advance that has been made in the intercolonial steam service, it is only necessary to mention that when Mr. Dunlop came to this Colony from Melbourne in 1870, per “Arawata,” he travelled by what was then one of the finest of the steamers of that line. [unclear: Now the] “Arawata,” were she in service at all, would be deemed insignificent, and discarded by passengers in favour of the more modern ships of the now splendid intercolonial fleet.
Carthew, William, Bookseller, Stationer, Fancy Goods and Musical Instrument Dealer, Manchester Street, Feilding. Telegraphic and cable address, “Carthew, Feilding.” P. O. Box 28. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. London agents, Sampson, Low and Co., “St. Dunstan House,” Fetter Lane, Fleet Street, E.C. Private residence, East Street. Mr. Carthew was born in Cornwall, where he was brought up to mining. Arriving in New Zealand in 1864 per ship “Mermaid,” he was engaged in gold mining on the West Coast. Subsequently he was deputy mining inspector at the Thames for two years. He was also manager of the D'Urville Island copper mine at one time. Settling in Feilding, Mr. Carthew established himself in business as above in 1879. His freehold premise afford ample accommodation of about 2000 square feet of floor space. Mr. Carthew's specialties are pianos, which he imports, as well as many other lines in waich he deals. He is agent for the New Zealand Insurance Company. In 1894 Mr. Carthew was mayor of Feilding, also chairman of the school committee. He started the Oddfellows' Society in the district and was “worthy grand” for two years. Mr. Carthew is also a “past master” mason.
Milson, J. S., Bookseller, Stationer, and Fancy Goods Importer, Manchester Street, Feilding. Telegraphic address, “Milson. Feilding.” Bankers, Colonial Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Grey Street. Mr. Milson began as above in 1892. He has a good shop, well stocked and carefully kept. The building is of wood and iron, and was built by Mr. J. D. Valentine. Mr. Milson is a direct importer of all goods required in his line, and his trade covers a large district. He is agent for several professional music teachers, and is also agent for Miss M. Bacon's fancy needlework establishment, of Palmerston North. Mr. Milson is a native of London, but came to New Zealand in 1874, per ship “Rakaia.” He has had a large experience in mercantile life, and has undertaken a good share of public duty. He is a trustee of the Wesleyan Church, a trustee of the Drill Hall, auditor for the Foresters, and a volunteer of ten years' standing. For the past four years he has been secretary and color-sergeant for the Manchester Rifles.
Coppin, Mrs. A., Fancy Goods and Stationery Dealer, Fergusson Strect. Feilding. Established 1895.
Chamberlain Bros. (Thomas Richard and Edward Herbert Chamberlain), Flourmillers, Cornelius Roller Flourmill, Kimbolton Road, Feilding. Telegraphic address, “Chamberlain, Feilding.” P.O. Box 25. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. This business was established about the year 1897, by the father of the present proprietors, and at the present time, 1897, has a very page 1241 large connection, supplying most of the stores in the district, besides outside orders. In 1893 the mill was converted from the old style into a steam-roller flourmill, the machinery and appointments now being most complete. The machinery embraces a Cornelius internal roller, two corrugated rollers, four smooth rollers, one purifyer, six dressing-machines, and two smut machines. The plant is driven by a twelve-horse-power steam-engine. The motto of the firm is “Ne Plus Ultra,” and the premises are built on freehold land. The building is a three-story one, seventy feet by thirty feet, roofed with iron; the older portion was erected by Mr. Mitchell, but Messrs. Chamberlain Bros, have made considerable additions. Mr. Thomas Richard Chamberlain, the senior partner of the firm, was born in 1862 at Masterton, where he was educated. After twelve months in a butcher's establishment, he went to Rangitikei and worked at the Oroua Bridge, of which his father was the overseer. On the conclusion of this work he managed his father's business in Feilding, Mr. Chamberlain's father was mayor of Feilding for twelve months, having been in the Borough Council several years previously. In local politics Mr. Chamberlain served three years in the council; he was also a member of the Manchester Rifles. The mill of Messrs. Chamberlain Bros. is one of the best-managed concerns in the district, everything being turned out in first-class style, and reflecting great credit on the enterprising proprietors.
MacKenzie, Frederick, General Storekeeper, Manchester Street, Feilding. Telegraphic address, “MacKenzie, Feilding.” Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. MacKenzie is a native of Birmingham, England, where he was educated and learned his business, being apprenticed to Messrs. Villiers and Jackson, the well-known silversmiths, of Hockley Hill, Birmingham, which apprenticeship he completed in 1879. In 1893 he came to New Zealand per s.s. “Arawa” from London. During the next year he established himself in Feilding as a general storekeeper and importer of crockery, electro-plated goods, cutlery, etc. His shop is centrally situated and has a very large frontage to the Main Street, being no less than sixty feet. The building is of wood and iron and one lofty story. It was built in the early days of the town and has undergone considerable alterations in order to meet the requirements of the present proprietor. Mr. MacKenzie has had large experience in the various branches of his business, and there is every appearance of prosperity about the establishment.
Bramwell Bros. (W. F. Bramwell), General Storekeepers, Grain and Produce Merchants, Fergusson Street, Feilding. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand, Est. 1874.
Clementson, Joseph, Grocer, Fruiterer and Confectioner, Manchester Square, Feilding, Established 1896.
Darragh, Joseph, Ironmonger, Grocer, Grain and Produce Dealer, Manchester Street, Feilding, Bankers, Bank of New Zealand, Established 1888.
Thompson, Robert J., General Storekeeper, Kimbolton Road, Feilding, Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Established 1874.
Younger, D., Livery Stablekeeper, Manchester Square, Feilding, immediately behind Bastings's Manchester Hotel. Telegraphic address, “Younger, Feilding.” Bankers [gap — reason: illegible] Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Denbigh Street. Mr. Younger is a native of Fifeshire, Scotland, and came to this Colony in 1874 per “Northampton,” from London. In 1893 he opened the livery stables as above and since then has succeeded in building up a good business. He has a fine lot of horses for ladies and gentlemen, and a variety of vehicles, including buggies, sulkies, gigs, &c., always ready for hire. Orders by letter or wire will have Mr. Younger's prompt attention.
Berry and Trevent (Thomas C. Berry and H. D. Trevena), Livery Stablekeepers and Coach Proprietors, Kimbolton Road, Feilding. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Established 1872 and conducted by present proprietors since 1893.
Fowles, George William, Watchmaker, Surveyors' Instrument-maker, and Machinist, Manchester Street, Feilding. P.O. Box 37. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Mr. Fowles was born in Warwickshire. He learned the manufacture of survey instruments with Elliott Bros., Strand, London. He also learned the watchmaking business in the world's metropolis. Completing his term in 1866, Mr. Fowles gained enlarged experience by working at his trade till 1874, when he came to the Colony per ship “Salisbury.” Mr. Fowles at once settled in Feilding, and has seen the town grow from one wooden building to its present dimensions. The premises, which are freehold, and are of wood and iron, afford over 700 square feet floorage space. Mr. Fowles has all needful plant for the purposes of his business, and undertakes the mending and repairing of all kinds of complicated machinery. His connection extends within a radius of about forty miles. He is an amateur photographer. As a member of the Foresters' society he has passed through all the offices.
Mr. G. W. Fowles.
Manawatu Timber Company (Henry Cornfoot, William Bailey, and Walter Bailey), Timber Merchants, Feilding. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales, Wanganui. Private addresses: Mr. H. Cornfoot, P.O. Box 31, Halcombe; Messrs. Bailey, Taonui. This business was established in 1890, but the partners had been working together for several years prior to that time. They have mills at Feilding, Rata, Silverhope, and Mangao noho. The business is wholesale and retail, and extends over a very large district. In all about 120 hands are employed. The firm are agents for the Wanganui Sash and Door Company, Limited, and their specialties are totara, rimu, matai, and kahikatea, timbers. Mr. Cornfoot is a native of Fifeshire, arriving in New Zealand in 1859 per ship “Queen of the Avon,” from London. Messrs. Bailey were born in Tasmania, but came to this Colony in the early sixties.
Higgin, M. H. (J. F. Day, Manager for the trustees), Kimbolton Road, Feilding, Estab. 1878.
Woollams, F. G., Chemist and Druggist, Manchester Street, Feilding, Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Established 1891, and conducted by present proprietor since 1893.page 1242
Ross. David, Hairdresser and Tobacconist. Fergusson Street, Feilding. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Established 1880.
Hosking, Chas. Henry, Engineer and Machinist, Manchester Street, Feilding. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Established 1888.
Feilding Bacon Factory (William Retemeyer, proprietor), Feilding.
Feilding Steam Laundry (Mrs. Leach, proprietress), Kimbolton Road, Feilding. Established 1896.
Kimbolton Brick and Tile Works (David Black, proprietor), Kimbolton Road, Feilding.
The late Mr. John Manson.
Millner, Stephen, Farmer, Feilding. Mr. Millner possesses a fine property of 1100 acres of good pastoral country in the Feilding district, which carries 3000 Lincoln sheep and 700 head of cattle. The homestead at Te Rake Hon contains nine rooms, and was built about thirty years ago. Born in the Empire City in 1848, Mr. Millner received his education there, and commenced pastoral life on the station of the late Mr. McKelvie, where he remained for ten years. He then acquired a property at Carnarvon, but afterwards removed to Makino, in which district he was one of the earliest settlers. Mr. Millner has always taken great interest in local affairs, and for a number of years occupied the office of chairman of the Stanway School Committee. He has also been a prominent Oddfellow for many years, and is a member of the Manawatu and West Coast Agricultural and Pastoral Association. Mr. Millner is married to a daughter of Mr. T. Amon, a very old and respected settler in the Lower Rangitikei, and has one son and seven daughters.
Roe, Charles, Settler, Kawakawa, Feilding. Mr. Roe is one of New Zealand's oldest identities, having resided in the Colony for over half-a-century. Born in 1832 in Carrington, Hammersmith, he came out with his parents to the Colony, per ship “Adelaide,” landing on the Peton, beach in 1840. The family resided for a time in “whares,” made of raupo, the locality being named “Cornish Road.” Barracks were then erected between Kaiwarra and Ngahauranga and they resided there for a few months, when Mr. Roe, senr., removed to Te Aro flat, and there set up as a printer. When Messrs. Samuel Revans and Robert Wade dissolved partnership he took over the New Zealand Gazette, establishing himself in business on the “beach” (now known as Lambton Quay) for two years. In 1848 he purchased a farm at Karori, and three years later took part in the gold rush to Victoria, and worked on the Bendigo and Ballarat diggings. He returned in 1854 and took over his father's interest in Barrett's Hotel, which was then close to the sea shore. The earthquakes twelve months later were so severe that the hotel was abandoned. About this time there were many wrecks within the vicinity of Wellington Harbour. Among those fresh in the memory of Mr. Roe may be mentioned the “Sobraon,” with 500 souls on board, and H.M.S. “Pander.” In 1859 Mr. Roe, in conjunction with Messrs. J. and E. Bull, published and printed the New Zealand Advertiser. Leaving the firm in 1862, Mr. Roe worked on the Hansard staff for seven years. In 1874 he came up to the Manawatu District and settled in Feilding. He built the Denbigh Hotel, and carried on the business for fourteen years, when he retired and removed to “Kawakawa,” where he has a conveniently situated farm, a mile from the township. The homestead consists of a fine large house of nine rooms with lawn and carriage drive, the whole protected by means of ornamental trees.