Sheepfarmer, Bunnythorpe. Mr. Manson's farm is situated on the road leading from Bunnythorpe into Palmerston, and is close to the road. The place has been in the occupation of Mr. Manson and his family for the last ten years. There are about 400 acres of first-class land, running 1250 good crossbred sheep. The homestead is a cosy one, containing eight rooms, and was built to Mr. Manson's special design. The subject of this sketch was born at Kilmarnock in 1848, and received his education at the academy in his native city. He was then apprenticed to his father to learn the business of builder. After serving his time, Mr. Manson went to Canada, and, with his brother, established sawmilling works in the Dominion. Dissatisfied with Canada, he resolved (early in 1875) to come out to New Zealand, and took passage by the ship “Timaru,” landing in Wellington. Soon after his arrival he obtained the sub-contract for the building of the Palmerston Railway Station; besides this work, he erected the Presbyterian Church in Palmerston, and also built the Foxton Railway Station. These, and many other contracts, were carried out by
Mr. Manson in the most thorough and satisfactory manner. Mr. Manson then established the first drapery emporium in Palmerston, and during the following ten years gained the confidence and support of a very large circle of customers throughout the Manawatu. When he retired from business, Mr. Manson and his wife took a trip to the Old Country, also taking their family Home to be educated. On returning to New Zealand he purchased his present compact little estate in the country, where he has since resided. In 1893 Mr. Manson was appointed a Justice of the Peace, and in the same year was appointed a member of the Board of Review, established to revise the valuations of the assessors of property tax in the Manawatu district. For a number of years Mr. Manson was a member of the Palmerston Borough Council. In church matters he has been prominent, having been manager of the Presbyterian Church for a long while. At one period he was attached to a local lodge of Oddfellows. Mr. Manson has had a long and useful career, both in business and in public matters, and has gained the esteem and goodwill of a large circle of friends. He is the owner of several town properties in Palmerston.