The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Eight miles by road from Ashurst, in the midst of what was but a very short time back a dense virgin forest, the new township of Pohangina has been laid off, its population being 163, with seventy-eight more in the neighbourhood, at the census of 1896. The township with its immediate surroundings constitutes the Pohangina Riding of the County of the same name, and is in the Electoral District of Palmerston. There is a post, telephone, and money-order office in charge of the leading storekeeper, and mails arrive and depart three times per week. The saw-milling industry is presently the most prominent feature of Pohangina. Settlement is, however, rapidly progressing on all sides, and in a few years' time there can be no doubt that the township will have lost its primitive appearance and have become a country town of the usual character.
Pohangina Post-Office is situated in the township of that name, about ten miles north of Ashurst, from which place there are three mails a week each way. The office is also open for money-order and telephone business. Mr. C. G. Culling, storekeeper, is the postmaster. This office was formerly known as Upper Pohangina, and is about two-and-a-half miles from the Raumai post-office, formerly known as Pohangina.
Pearce, Henry, Farrier and General Blacksmith, Pohangina Main Road, Pohangina Township. Mr. Pearce is a native of London, and left in 1864 per ship “Egmont” for Lyttelton. He was apprenticed to Mr. McPherson, of Lincoln, Canterbury, and completed his apprenticeship in 1876. For some time subsequently Mr. Pearce travelled in various parts of the Colony working at his trade and gaining experience. He is one of the pioneers of the page 1211 Pohangina township, having purchased the present holding and erected a wood and iron building, with every convenience for his trade, together with a cottage adjoining. His trade extends throughout the district, horse-shoeing being a specialty. Mr. Pearce is agent for the Northern Fire Assurance Company, and for Grant's patent wire-strainers. He is an ex-member of the Blenheim School Committee, and at present is Past Chief Ranger of the Foresters' Order, and a third degree member of the I.O.G. Templars.
Tibby, H. E., General Blacksmith, Pohangina Main Road, Pohangina Township. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand, Palmerston North. Mr. Tibby was born in Victoria, and came to New Zealand about the year 1870. He was apprenticed to Mr. Sherrett, of Greymouth, with whom he completed his term in 1877. Mr. Tibby had subsequently a large experience in various parts of New Zealand. He has worked at his trade in several large shops in Canterbury, and for fifteen years subsequently was in business on his own account in various townships in New Zealand. For five years prior to establishing the present business, Mr. Tibby was well-known as a tradesman in the Stratford district. On the opening of the Pohangina township, Mr. Tibby decided to cast in his lot with the district, and purchased a large and prominent section in the centre of the township, where he has erected a most substantial blacksmith's shop. This large and lofty building is constructed of wood and iron, and is supplied with every necessary for the conduct of a considerable trade. Mr. Tibby's business extends over a wide range of country, his specialty being horse-shoeing. He is also well-known as a maker of colonial ovens, for which there is a considerable demand in the district. Mr. Tibby undertakes all kinds of general blacksmithing work, and may be depended upon to execute any orders that may be entrusted to him. Adjoining the shop he has erected a very comfortable and convenient five-roomed dwelling house which is a credit to the township.
Culling, Clement George, General Storekeeper, corner of Moa and Pohangina Main Road, Pohangina Town ship. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand, Palmerston North. Mr. Culling is a native of Somerset, and came to the Colony about 1875. For some time he was known in business circles in Palmerston North, being in partnership with Mr. W. L. Luxford in the corn and produce trade, and subsequently with Mr. G. A. Tapper as general storekeepers and wine and spirit merchants, thee firm being Tapper and Culling. The present store was erected in November, 1894, from Mr. Culling's own designs. It is a building of wood and iron, erected on freehold land, and one story in height, and occupies the most prominent corner in the township. Mr. Culling has a large and general stock, and makes every line a specialty. His Trade extends all over the district within a radius of ten miles from the township. Mr. Culling is a member of the Pohangina School Committee, and takes a great interest in the welfare of the district.
Adsett, Henry, Sawmiller, Pohangina Main Road, Pohangina Township. Mr. Adsett is a native of London, and left there in 1872, per ship “Salisbury,” for Wellington. He was brought up to the sawmilling business in the Colony with his father, Mr. He Adsett, who is the proprietor of a large farm at Colyton. Mr. Adsett established himself as a sawmiller in 1873, and for four years carried on his business in Sandon, subsequently removing his mill to the Feilding district. He was well known as a sawmiller for sixteen years in the latter place. To Mr. Adsett is largely due the credit of having opened up the Pohangina township, where he has built a large mill, which is driven by a portable steam-engine of twenty-two horse-power, made by Marshall and Sons. The mill is fitted up with circular and breaking down saws, planing machines, and everything necessary for a large business. About twenty-two hands find employment, and a large quantity of timber is supplied from the mill to the district between Wellington and New Plymouth. Many of the large collar ties for the piles on the Wellington Wharf have been supplied from this mill. Mr. Adsett has shewn great energy in establishing his mills. At Pohangina township he has secured the right of cutting timber over a large area of country, and it is estimated that from five to six years will have elapsed before the supply is exhausted. The timber is chiefly rimu, totara, and [gap — reason: deleted]