The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Paton, J.H., Shooing and General Blacksmith. Coach-builder, etc., Victoria Shoeing Forge, Feilding Road, Ashurst. Telegraphic address, “Paton, Ashurst.” Bankers, [gap — reason: illegible] Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Pohangina Road. Mr. John Henry Paton was born in Adelaide, South Australia, and left there with his father's family in 1867 for England. Some four or five years later he sailed for New Zealand per barque “Sissie,” arriving in Nelson in 1872. He was educated at Picton, and learned his business with Mr. S. Ingram, of Marton, completing his apprenticeship in 1879. After continuing in the employ of Mr. Ingram for some two years, Mr. Paton removed to Ashurst, and for another period of two years was in the employ of the late firm of Messrs. Warne and Beard. He then, in 1884, began on his own account as above. His premises are all freehold, the buildings being of wood and iron, and partly two stories. The frontage to the Feilding road is forty-six feet, and the size of the section a quarter of an acre. A part of the premises are let off for the purposes of a coach factory, and the two businesses are mutually helpful. Since establishing himself in this business, Mr. Paton has been more than ordinarily successful, and the picture above will serve to show the extent of the premises, which are situated about midway between Messrs. Rimmer and Craven's ironmongery store and Mr. William's Masonic Hotel.