The Fitzherbert East Public School,
which was established in 1888, has about thirty children on the roll. Adjoining the school is a playground about an acre in extent. Mr. J. F. Thurston is the headmaster.
The Tiritea Pubic School,
Fitzherbert, which was established in 1895, has thirty-five children on the roll. The playground contains about three-and-a-half acres. Mr. J. O. Lilly is the headmaster.
Farmer, Fitzherbert, seven miles from Palmerston North. Mr. Farmer took up his present farm of 212 acres in 1889, and the land was at that time covered with dense bush, but is now cleared, fenced, sub-divided, and a small portion stumped and cropped. The carrying capacity is three sheep to the acre. Born in Staffordshire, England, and educated there, Mr. Farmer came to the Colony in 1875 in the ship “Helen Denny.” Soon after his arrival he commenced work as a station hand in Hawkes Bay, and came to the Manawatu in 1878. In 1881 he married Miss Relf, daughter of Mr. Relf, of Palmerston North, and has three sons and four daughters.
Farmer, Merry Creek, Fitzherbert. Mr. Honore, is the third son of the late Rev. Abraham Honore, who arrived in New Zealand in 1818 as a missionary, under the direction of the North German Missionary Society. He was a native of Denmark, his ancestors being French Huguenots, who removed from France to Germany during the persecution about a century ago. The subject of this sketch was born in Stewart Island, and, coming to the Rangitikei when he was twelve years of age, followed farming pursuits. In 1881 he settled on his present farm, which was at that time covered with dense bush but is now cleared, fenced, partly stumped, and cropped, and carries
The late Rev. A. Honore, son, and grandchild.
600 well bred Lincoln sheep, with cattle and horses. He married a daughter of Mr. Greenwood, and has four sons.
Sheepfarmer, Reith, Fitzherbert, Palmerston North. Mr. Kendall was born in Reith, Yorkshire, England, where he was educated. In 1875 he came to Wellington, per ship “Edwin Fox,” and gained experience in farming on a sheep station at Wainui-o-mata. After six years Mr. Kendall had a trip to the Old Land, and returning to the Colony in 1883 he settled in the Manawatu district. For ten years he had the management of Captain Hewitt's station, and during this period, in conjunction with his brother, Mr. W. Kendall, he purchased 600 acres in the Fitzherbert block. The land was in its natural state, being mostly bush: it has since been felled and laid down in English grasses, the whole being fenced and improved, and a comfortable homestead
Photo by Attwood and Co.
cted. Mr. Kendall has named his farm “Reith,” after his birthplace. The estate now carries 1400 English Leicester sheep, besides lambs. Some of the well-known stud sheep bred by Mr. Threlkeld, of Canterbury, have been purchased, and are now running on the property. Mr. Kendall is a member of the Manawatu Kilwinning Lodge of Freemasons, No. 47, and before leaving Yorkshire he was attached to the Loyal Dales Friendly Society. An enthusiastic musician, he sings bass, often rendering solos in connection with local charitable efforts; as a member of the Palmerston North Orchestral Society, he plays the chellow. In 1887 Mr. Kendall was married to a daughter of Mr. C. Kendall, of Reith, farmer, and has two daughters.
Kendall, William Paul,
Farmer, Fremington, Fitzherbert. The subject of this sketch was born near Richmond,
Yorkshire, in 1852, where he was educated and spent his early years. Coming out to this Colony in 1874, in the ship “Edwin Fox,” Mr. Kendall entered the Government service, where he remained for the next twelve years, during four of which at was foreman on the Rimutaka Railway line. Coming to the Manawatu in 1886, he took up his present holding of 647 acres, which at that time was all bush, but is now cleared and grassed, and carries three-and-a-half sheep to the acre. Mr. Kendall has always taken an active part in public affairs, and at the time of writing (1897,) is chairman of the Palmerston North Hospital Board, of which he has been a member for four years, member of the Fitzherbert Road Board for the fifth year, and Chairman of the school committee. Mr. Kendall was married in 1890 to Miss Gowland, schoolmistress, of Patea, and daughter of Mr. P. C. Gowland. The family consists of two boys.