The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Mr. Martin Chapman
Mr. Martin Chapman, a representative of Thorndon Ward from September, 1888, to September, 1890 is well known as the senior partner of the firm of Messrs. Chapman and Tripp, barristers and solicitors, of Wellington. Mr. Chapman was born in Wellington in the year 1846, and is a son of the late Judge Chapman, of Wellington. His preliminary education was gained in Melbourne, from whence he went to London for its completion. In 1871 he was called to the Bar of the Inner Temple. After this he remained in London, practising his profession as a barrister until 1875, when he returned to the Colony, and was here also admitted a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court. Mr. Chapman then entered into practice in Wellington, and after a few years was joined by the late Mr. William FitzGerald, under the style of Messrs. Chapman and FitzGerald, which firm subsisted until Mr. Fitz-Gerald's death in June, 1888. Since then Mr. Chapman has been joined by Mr. Tripp. On the death of Mr. FitzGerald, Mr. Chapman succeeded to the editorship of the New Zealand Law Reports, and he still occupies that important position. He is also a member of the Council of the Wellington Law Society, and in every way ranks high in the profession. Mr. Chapman was chosen as secretary to the Law Procedure Commission of 1882. Throughout his term as Councillor, Mr. Chapman took a warm interest in Municipal matters, and exercised a beneficial influence in maintaining the dignity of the City.