The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Anderson, Neils Andrew
Anderson, Neils Andrew, Coachbuilder, Blacksmith, and Wheelwright, Manakau Coach Factory, Manakau. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This thriving industry was founded by the energetic proprietor in 1894. The factory building is a structure of wood and iron, of one story in height, affording ample space for the conduct of a large trade. It is fitted up with all necessary machinery for the business. Mr. Anderson's customers reside in all parts of the district, many of them travelling long distances to secure his services. Born in Denmark, Mr Anderson was apprenticed to the business near his native town, where he soon became a skilful workman. In 1874 he came to the Colony, per ship “Loch Aird,” landing at Auckland, where he readily seemed employment at Messrs. Fraser and Tinney's Foundry. Subsequently he removed to Wellington, and was for some time employed at the leading coach factory. About 1880 he started in business at the Lower Hutt, and continued for about three years, when he removed to the Manawatu district. For five years he worked a sawmill in Manakau, which he eventually sold and commenced the present line. An eight-horse-power engine has recently been added to his workshop. Mr. Anderson, who is an enterprising settler, has been able to find time to assist in local matters, having served as a member of one of the school committees.