The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Pahautanui is a farming district, twenty miles from Wellington and four miles from the railway station at Paremata, from which it may be reached by coach. There is a public school with an average attendance of about forty. A telephone connects with Porirua. A feature at Pahautanui is the Oyster Fishery, which is referred to on the following page. Mails for Pahautanui close daily at Wellington at 6 a.m. arriving at Pahautanui at 8.30 a.m. The return mail closes daily at Pahautanui at 4.30p.m., arriving at Wellington at 10.5 p.m.
St. George Lodge, M.U.I.O.O.F., No. 5561, meets at the Pahautanui Hotel on alternate Saturdays.
Pahautanui Lodge of Druids, No. 14. The officers for 1896 are: Messrs. Francis Taylor (Arch Druid), John Sinclair (Vice Arch Druid), George Watson (J.P.A.), John Harvey (secretary), and A. Grey (treasurer). Meetings are held weekly on Saturday evenings at 7.30 o'clock.
Oyster Fisheries, Pahautanui. Office, Colonial Bank Buildings, Lambton Quay, Wellington. Mr. E. H. Beere, secretary and managing director. This is a limited liability company, which was established in 1894. and is the first attempt on a large scale in New Zealand to cultivate the oyster. The Company acquired 412 acres leasehold from the Government, and although but a small beginning has been made, it is merely a matter of a little time before the whole will be under cultivation. Mr. J. Harvey is the manager of the fishery.
Mr. John Harvey, Manager of the Oyster Fishery, Pahantanui, was employed in this industry in Essex, where the cultivation of the oyster has been carried on by his family for generations. Five years ago he came to New Zealand, and soon learnt that the coasts of New Zealand were well adapted for his business. As soon as the above Company was formed, Mr. Harvey was selected as manager and expert.
Bradey, Frederick, J.P., Sheepfarmer, Pahautanui. This well-known and much respected settler, who was born in 1833 at Kent Road, Greenwich, England, came to the colony with his parents per ship “Adelaide” in 1840. His father, Mr. Francis Bradey, who died in 1872, was a settler in Wellington for many years. Brought up to a country life the subject of this notice settled in Pahautanui in 1855, taking up over 2000 acres of land, then wholly, covered with bush. This fine property is now fully cleared and in cultivation and carries over 5000 sheep besides cattle and horses. In 1872 Mr. Bradey joined the Pahautanui Rifle Volunteers as sub-lieutenant, afterwards becoming successively lieutenant and captain. He continued in command of the company until it was disbanded some years later. In local polities Mr. Bradey has long been prominent—first as chairman of the Pahautanui Domain Board and School Committee, and afterwards as a member of the Wellington Education Board, the Wellington Harbour Board, the Hutt County Council, the United District Hospital Board, the Benevolent Trustees, the United District Charitable Aid Board, the Technical School Committee, and as Justice of the Peace from 1882. Most of these offices he still holds: he is also a member of the Wellington Diocesan Synod. Mr. Bradey was married in 1855 to a daughter of the late Mr. Richard Stuart, who came to New Zealand by ship “Birman” in 1842. His family consists of four daughters, two being married, and five sons, four of whom are married and settled as sheep farmers in the Pahautanui district: the grandchildren number thirteen.
Carter, Charles, Farmer, Pahautanui. Born in Merton, Surrey, in 1846, Mr. Carter arrived in New Zealand in 1850. He devoted his attention to sawmilling, with sheepfarming as an adjunct, until a few years ago, when he relinquished the sawmilling, and gave his whole mind to sheepfarming. Mr. Carter is a very old resident of the district, having resided at Pahautanui for some thirty-seven years. In 1882 he married a daughter of another very old colonist, Mr. T. H. Stace.