The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Khandallah, the second station on the Wellington-Manawatu Railway Company's line, is in the borough of Onslow, and is five miles from Wellington, and 492 feet above sea level. It is situated near the hill once known as Mount Misery—a name now quite inappropriate, for Khandallah is a very pleasant spot, and is rapidly growing in favour as a residential suburb. From the summit of “The Kaka”—a hill on the western side of the railway station—a fine view of Cook Strait and Mount Egmont may be had. Khandallah has a public school, with an average attendance of about thirty, a telephone bureau, and a post-office. Reference is made to the school, of which Mr. Jenkins is headmaster, on the following page. Mails for Khandallah close at Wellington daily at 6 a.m., arriving at Khandallah at 6.50. The return mail closes at Khandallah daily at noon, arriving at, Wellington at 1 p.m.
Khandallah Pubic School, which occupies the highest site in the township, stands on a large section of nearly three acres of land. The building is specially well finished and remarkably well lighted by handsome windows on all sides. The two class-rooms are divided by large folding doors, which, when opened, convert the school into one large room. The Knandallah School was commenced in January, 1893, the new building being occupied in April of the following year. There are forty children on the roll, the average attendance being thirty-four. The teaching staff consists of the headmaster and one pupil teacher.
Mr. David Henry Jenkins, Headmaster of the Khandallah Public School, is a native of Wiltshire, England, where he was born in 1860. Educated at Devizes he came to Australia in 1879 per s.s. “Norfolk,” and crossed over to Wellington by the “Ringarooma.” Mr. Jenkins soon afterwards became first assistant at the Newtown School, then but just established, and after four-and-a-half years he was transferred to Feilding. Four years later he was promoted to the position of headmaster at Turakina, and after another four years in this school, he accepted in 1893 the appointment he now holds. Mr. Jenkins is musical, his instrument being the violin. During his residence in Feilding and Turakina he took a leading part in local choirs and succeeded in organizing and conducting concerts in which cantatas were rendered. In 1888 Mr. Jenkins was married to a daughter of the late Mr. T. Lightbown, of Manchester, engineer, and has one son and two daughters.
Casey, John, Dairy Farmer, Khandallah. As one of the Councillors of the Borough of Onslow, Mr. Casey has served the ratepayers for about three years, and still holds a seat at the Council Board. He was born in 1868 in the house he now occupies, having succeeded on his mother's death in 1895 to the fine little farm of ninety acres with its snug homestead left by his father, the late Mr. John Casey, who for some years was an officer of the Defence Department. Educated in Wellington, Mr. Casey was brought up to the life of a settler, and has seen great improvements made in the condition of the property which he now owns. In 1891 Mr. Casey was married to a daughter of Mr. Cornelius Donovan, of the South of Ireland, and has three sons.
Mr. John Casey.
Nairn, James, Dairy Farmer, Khandallah. A native of Scotland, where he was born in 1846, Mr. Nairn landed in Port Chalmers per ship “John Duncan” in 1863, and after two years at the Otago diggings he settled in Wellington. Two years later he acquired the sixty-six acre farm which he now works. Mr. Nairn has been several years a member of the Onslow Borough Council, and has also acted on the Khandallah School Committee. He married a daughter of the late Mr. John Chaplin, of Petone, farmer, in 1866, and has eleven children—six sons and five daughters.