The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Crofton, the first station from Wellington on the Wellington-Manawatu Railway Company's line, is in the borough of Onslow, and is about three miles from Wellington. It is pleasantly situated in an elevated position—307 foot above sea level—in a valley on the Kaka hill, and is a favourite resort for picnic parties. At present there are not many residents in the village, but as the City grows Crofton will, no doubt, become a popular suburb. There is no post or telegraph office, and the nearest school is at Khandallah.
Mr. C. Aplin.
Chew, John., Engineer and Settler, Crofton. This gentleman, who was a member of the Wellington Harbour Board for some years, was born in 1825 in Middleton, Lancashire. In 1814 he married a daughter of the late Mr. Henry Horsfall, of Todmordan, Lancashire, settler, and came to Wellington per ship “Oliver Laing” in 1858. After a short time in the capital, Mr. and Mrs. Chew settled in Crofton, where 212 acres of land were purchased. The property included a sawmill, the bush having been nearly worked out. During a heavy freshet which occurred a few years later the mill was washed out to sea. Mr. Chew continued to follow his business as an engineer for some years, employing labour to work his estate, to which he had added 200 acres of leasehold. For over twenty years the property has been let. Mr. Chew died in 1888; his widow, who was born 1823, now occupies the homestead. The family consists of a son and six daughters, who are all married and settled.