The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Twelve of the foreign powers are represented by resident agents in the Colony of New Zealand, and of these the Netherlands, France, Sweden and Norway, and Portugal have appointed Consuls in the capital City, with Vice-Consuls or Consular Agents in other cities. Belgium has Consuls in Wellington, Christchurch, and Auckland; the interests of Italy are conserved by six Consular Agents residing respectively in the four chief cities, and at Hokitika and Greymouth. The German Empire has secured the services of four Consuls, who severally live in Auckland, Wanganui, Christchurch, and Dunedin, and a Vice-Consul who resides in the Empire City. There is a Danish Consul at Christchurch and another at Auckland, Vice-Consuls being located at Wellington and Dunedin. The United States Government retains the services of Consul and Vice-Consul at Auckland while Consular Agents reside in Christchurch, Russell, Wanganni, Wellington, and Dunedin. Chili has a Consular Agent at Dunedin under the direction of a Consul-General at Sydney. The Hawaiian Islands are represented by Consuls at Auckland and Dunedin, and a Spanish Vice-Consul resides in Christchurch.
Count Alexander Louis Ferdinand de Jouffroy d'Abbans, Consul for France, with jurisdiction all over New Zealand and her dependencies, was born at the Castle of Abbans in 1851. Count d'Abbans was educated in France, where he studied for the legal profession. Becoming a barrister-at-law. During the Franco-German war of 1870, he was a volunteer in a regiment of Zuaves. Count d'Abbans has had an extended experience in official positions in various parts of the world. He commenced his career as attaché to the French Embassy at Berlin, and afterwards was at St. Petersburgh in' a similar capacity, Subsequently the Count was Acting Consul at Singapore for three years, Vice-Consul at Aden for one year, and Acting-Consul at San Francisco for two years. In 1885 he came to New Zealand as Vice-Consul, and resided in Wellington till 1889, when he returned to Europe. Count d'abbans was next sent as Vice-Consul (afterwards becoming Consul) on behalf of his Government to Zurich, in Switzerland, remaining till 1892, when he went as Consul to Falmouth, England. During 1893 the Count was Consul at Mons, in Belgium. He returned to New Zealand on the 16th of March, 1824, and is the first Consul sent by a European Power to reside in the Colony. He appoints Consular agents to represent his Government in the leading cities. At Auckland Mr. Thomas Russell is acting since the death of Mr. D. B. Cruickshank. The Hon. E. W. Parker, son of the Earl of Macclesfield, is the Christchurch representative, and Mr. P. C. Neill in Dunedin. Count d'Abbans is a Knight Commander of two French Orders. He married, in 1883, Ida Marie, Countess de Pulligny, and has two boys and two girls. His children were born in four different countries, viz., America, Switzerland, New Zealand, and Belgium.
Mr. Augustus Frederick Castendyk, the Wellington Vice-Consul for Germany, was born and educated in Bremen. Early in life he turned his attention to mercantile pursuits, being for four years in a merchant's office in his native town. Afterwards removing to London, Mr. Castendyk had a further experience of nearly five years in the “World's Metropolis.” Coming out to the colonies by a Dutch steamer as far as Sydney, he arossed over to Auckland in 1878 by the s.s. “Rotorua.” Mr. Castendyk speedily made his way to the Empire City, where for three years he acted as bookkeeper to Messrs. Joseph Nathan and Co., and subsequently as salesman for Messrs. Krull and Co. He afterwards joined Mr. Eberhard Foeke in taking over a portion of Messrs. Krull and Co.'s business, under the style of Castendyk and Focke. Mr. Castendyk has held the important position of ViceConsul for Germany since his appointment in the month of October, 1884. On the death of Mr. Toxward, Mr. Castendyk had charge of the Danish Vice-Consulate, which he held for about three years, till the appointment of Mr. H. D. Bell, the present Vice-Consul.
Mr. Edward Pearce, Consul for Sweden and Norway, has held this important destinction since 1874. His Vice-Consuls are Mr. G. V. Johansen, Auckland, and Mr. Frank Graham. Christchurch. Mr. Pearce came to the Colony in 1861, under conditions which at once found for him a place in the van of commerce. Since then he has ever been one of Wellington's foremost men. For over a quarter of a century he was in business as a merchant on his own account, conducting a very large import and export trade in conjunction with one of the principal shipping agencies of the port. In 1889, Mr. Pearce and Messrs. Levin and Co., seeing the many advantages to be gained by amalgamation, joined their forces, and made one vast business. The partners were Mr. W. H. Levin, Mr. Edward Pearce, and Mr. John Duncan. By the death of Mr. W. H. Levin, in 1893, Mr. Pearce became senior partner, and his eldest son, Mr. Arthur Pearce, has since been admitted to the firm. A notice of this commercial house appears in this volume under “Wellington Merchants.” Mr. Pearce has at all times given ready and able assistance to enterprises and movements which have been inaugurated with the object of advancing the Colony generally, and Wellington particularly. In the old provincial days he was a member of the Provincial Executive during Dr. Featherston's Administration, and, in 1870 he was elected to represent the City in Parliament, which honourable position he retained for some seven or eight years. When the Harbour Board was called into existence, Mr. Pearce was one of its first members. As member, and sometimes chairman, of the Harbour Board, Mr. Pearce has exerted an influence upon the mercantile growth of Wellington, the benefits of which it would be difficult to over-estimate. In the Chamber of Commerce, too, the effect of his quiet, gentle-manly bearing has been powerful. So long ago as 1866, Mr. Pearce was President of the Chamber, and he has been a prominent member ever since. For many years he was the local director of the National Bank, and he has been chairman of the New Zealand directors of the National Mutual Life Assurance Association ever since that flourishing institution implanted itself in the Colony, now some fifteen years or more. Among a large number of other directorships may be mentioned the Wellington Patent Slip Company, the Wellington Gas Company, and the Wellington Trust Loan and Investment Company, of the whole of which companies he has been chairman for many years. Mr. Pearce is also the New Zealand director of the Colonists' Land Association of Feilding—referred to in the Feilding section of this volume. Mr. Pearce has visited the Old World some six or seven times. He was in England when the sudden death of his page 270 partner, Mr. Levin, occurred, and necessitated his immediate return. In volunteering, Colonel Pearce has, in the past, taken a very active interest. For many years he commanded the New Zealand Regiment of Artillery, whose twelve batteries are distributed throughout the Colony. In this connection, as in all the others, he was highly esteemed, and he is perhaps more widely known as Colonel Pearce than in any other capacity.
Mr. John Duncan, Consul for Portugal, has held this office since September, 1890, his vice-consuls being Mr. Henry Rees George, of Auckland, and Mr. Edmund Quick, of Dunedin. Mr. Duncan has had extensive mercantile experience, having left his native town, Aberdeen, as a young man to go out to Ceylon, where he spent twenty years in commercial pursuits; his head quarters being at Colombo. Some fifteen years ago, Mr. Duncan came to the Colony, and soon found scope for his energy and business capacity as partner of the late Mr. W. H. Levin, whose business even then was very extensive, making Mr. Duncan's assistance very acceptable. He still remains a partner in this firm, of which Mr. Edward Pearce is the senior, and Mr. Arthur Pearce, the junior partner. Hitherto Mr. Duncan has held himself aloof both from civic and colonial politics, but has held the position of chairman of the Chamber of Commerce for the years 1890–1891. As a volunteer, however, he has yielded to outside pressure, and for eight years commanded the Wellington Naval Artillery. The picture given herewith is taken in the uniform of the above corps. He has taken much interest in the welfare of the corps, and has proved himself both a popular and efficient commander.
Dr. Thomas E. Cahill, who has acted as American Consul since the death of Mr. W. H. Levin, in 1893, was born in Dublin, Ireland. He was educated at Clongoes Wood College, and Queen's University, Dublin. In 1881 Dr. Cahill gained his degree of L.R.C.S.A., and the following year those of M.D. and M.Ch. Dr. Cahill came to the Colony in 1884, by way of Melbourne, and settled in Wellington. He has taken considerable interest in volunteering matters, and has been associated with the movement since taking up his abode in the capital, now occupying the position of honorary surgeon to the Wellington Guards. Dr. Cahill is also honorary surgeon to the Wellington Hospital, and chief medical officer of the New Zealand Government Insurance Department.