The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Mr. Edward Tennyson Connolly
Mr. Edward Tennyson Connolly, better known as His Honour Mr. Justice Connolly, Puisne Judge, held office in two ministries. He was allotted the portfolio of Justice in the Whitaker Government in 1882, and, on the resignation of the Premier, the Hon. (afterwards Sir) F. Whitaker accepted the same office in the Atkinson Ministry which was formed in September, 1883, and became Attorney General, which offices he held till the Cabinet was defeated in August of the following year. His Honour is the son of Dr. John Connolly of Hanwell, Middlesex, an eminent authority on insanity. Born in 1822 he entered the Inner Temple as a student of law in 1849, and was called to the bar on the 30th of January, 1852. After practising his profession for some thirteen years in the “Old Land,” he came to New Zealand in 1865 and settled in Picton. From 1867 till the abolition of the provinces in 1876 he represented Picton in the Marlborough Provincial Council. In December, 1881, he was returned to the House of Representatives for Picton and again in July, 1884. His Honour was elevated to the Supreme Court Bench in August, 1889.