The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
The Hon. John Hyde Harris
The Hon. John Hyde Harris, M.L.C., J.P., joined the Stafford Government in September, 1867, as a member of the Executive Council without portfolio. Exactly a month afterwards he became Solicitor-General, and retained the portfolio till the middle of May, 1868. Born in 1825 at Deddington, Oxfordshire Mr. Harris chose the law as his profession. In 1850 he came to the Colony, settling in Otago, where for nine years he practised as a barrister and solicitor. He was appointed district judge and resident magistrate in 1859; the former position he retained till the office was abolished in 1862; the latter office he held till 1864. In the Provincial Council of Otago he represented Port Chalmers from 1853 to 1859. In 1862 Mr. Harris was elected Deputy-Superintendent of Otago, and a year later he became Superintendent. From 1859 to 1868 he served as a member of the Legislative Council. He was very active in promoting the first New Zealand Exhibition, held in 1865, and of this he was president. From the year 1867 he was a member of the Senate of the Otago University. The honourable gentleman died on the 24th of July, 1886.