The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
The Hon. John Johnston
The Hon. John Johnston, M.L.C., was a member of the Executive Council in the Stafford Ministry, from May, 1866, to April, 1867. The honourable gentleman was one of the early settlers who came to Wellington with the Nicholson contingent. He founded the large mercantile house known as Johnston and Co., in the early forties, and continued to take an active part till 1878, when he retired, leaving the business in the hands of his two sons— page 71 the Hon. Walter W. Johnston who, like his father, is an ex-Minister, and the Hon. Charles J. Johnston, M.L.C. The subject of this notice was appointed to the Legislative Council in 1858, and cheerfully gave his time and great ability to assist in shaping and guiding the affairs of young New Zealand. Mr. Johnston was prominent as a legislator for many years, and remained in the Council till the last. He died on the 16th of November, 1887.