The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Colonial Secretary's Department
Colonial Secretary's Department.
This was in former days by far the most important department of the Government of the Colony, but from time to time the work has been distributed among the others, and the most important now under the control of the Colonial Secretary are the Audit, Registrar-General's, and Printing Offices. There are also the Agent-General'a Office in London, the New Zealand Institute, the Electoral Department, the control of the matters relating to the Executive, the Imperial Institute, the General Assembly Library, the granting of permits to use the totalisator, and other minor departments which are administered by the Colonial Secretary, and the work is done by the Under-Secretary and four clerks, at an annual cost of £1585. Provision is also made in the vote for the secretary to the Cabinet, who is also clerk to the Executive Council (£500), a shorthand and typewriter (£150), and seven private secretaries to Ministers, who receive £25 each as salaries under this head, but are otherwise recompensed in the particular departments they are attached to. The cost of the various messengers, office-keepers, watchmen, etc., of all the public buildings in the Colony—thirty-seven in all—are provided for by this department, the total under this head being £4091. The Electoral Department has fourteen permanent registrars, and these, and the printing of rolls, etc., cost £1600 per annum in years when the general election does not take place. There is also an annual expenditure of from £16,000 to £20,000 for miscellaneous services such as the administration of the Public Health Act, sundry small pensions, cost of licensing elections, aids to acclimatisation societies, the salary (£500) of the British Resident at Raratonga, grants in aid of fire brigades, etc.
Mr. Hugh Pollen, Under-Secretary of the Colonial Secretary's Department, and Clerk of Writs of the House of Representatives, is a son of the Hon. Dr. Pollen, M.L.C., formerly a Premier of the Colony. Mr. Pollen has long been known as an efficient officer of the General Government.
Mr. Robert Henry Govett is the Chief Clerk in the Colonial Secretary's department. He also holds the offices of Deputy Clerk of Writs to the House of Representatives and Private Secretary to the Hon. Sir P. A. Buckley, Colonial Secretary and Attorney-General. During the sittings of Parliament Mr. Govett is fully occupied in attendance on his chief.
Clerks—R. F. Lynch, J. F. Andrews, L. W. Loveday.
The Audit Office.
The Comptroller's Act came into operation in 1865, and provided that all public moneys shall pass into the public account, and thence, by the Comptroller's orders, to the Treasury; and that the Colonial Treasurer shall return into the public account all the unexpended balances at the end of the financial year. Mr. C. Knight, an old public servant, whose first connection with the Public Service dated back to 1845, was appointed Auditor, and in 1866 Mr. J. E. Fitzgerald received the appointment of Comptroller-General, and both reported unfavourably of the system then in vogue of keeping the Treasury accounts. In 1872 Mr. Fitzgerald was appointed Commissioner of Audit, in addition to being Controller-General, and the appointment was for life, thus placing him beyond the influence of party or politics. In 1876 the following resolution was agreed to by the House of Representatives, on the recommendation of the Public Accounts Committee, “That the Commissioners of Audit furnish to Parliament within ten days after the close of each financial year, a page 119 comparative statement showing the amount voted during the previous session for each item of expenditure, the amount spent, and the saving or over-expenditure, if any, in each case; and, further, a statement of the unauthorised expenditure.” The principles contained in this resolution embody the duties of the Audit Department, and they act as a check on the Government of the day. Besides the audit of the Colony's accounts, local bodies and all the departments have their accounts investigated by the officers of the department, and a far greater security is gained by the public than under the old irresponsible system. The total number of officers in the Audit branch is twenty-three, and the annual cost £8115, of which sum £2250 is returned as fees by the local bodies.
Mr. James Clark Gavin, Assistant Controller and Auditor, is one of the oldest and most valued Civil Servants in the Colony, having been in the Public Service continuously since the 1st of March, 1860, when he was appointed as secretary to the Treasury and secretary to the Commissioners of Sinking Funds. His long page 120 career, entirely devoted to the finance and audit of the Colony's accounts, aided by a natural talent for figures has endowed him with a knowledge of the intricacies of public accounts, the status of the various loans, and the complications of conversions, etc., second to no one in the Colony.
Clerks—L. C. Roskruge, W. Dodd, H. S. Pollen, W. G. Holdsworth, E. J. A. Stevenson, C. M. Georgeson, A. W. Eames, B. A. Meek.
Cadet—J. H. Fowler.
Extra Clerks—D. C. Innes, J. Swift, A. E. Bybles, J. Ward, A. A. Bethune, W. H. Carlyle.
Audit Travelling Inspectors—P. P. Webb, A. H. Maclean, J. King, W. R. Holmes, E. T. Greville, G. H. I. Easton, C. P. Johnston, J. T. Dumbell.
To the Registrar-General and his assistants are entrusted the onerous duties of keeping the statistics of the Colony. These duties include the compilation and proper arrangement of all the imports, exports, and products, the vital statistics year by year, and the arrangement of them in tabular form. The annual Blue Book is a compilation containing a complete record of the year's statistics, and is divided into three parts, the first being a record of the succession of Governors and Administrators since the foundation of the Colony; the second being devoted to the population and vital statistics, giving in tabular form the increases and decreases of each provincial district, and comparative tables; the immigration and emigration to and from each port monthly, the nationality and particulars of the nationalisation of foreign subjects; the vital statistics and proportions of births, marriages, and deaths to the living population; the causes of death; the records of the various hospitals; the relative number of births, marriages, and deaths in the various boroughs of the Colony; the accommodation and relief given by the benevolent, orphan, and lunatic asylums and industrial schools. Next comes the comparative tables of the meteorology of the Colony, with very full tables of observations in all places where observations are taken. Part III of the Blue Book is devoted to the Trade and Interchange of the Colony, and is very complete. The value of the shipping trade is set out in a very clear way, the imports and exports of the Colony, whence derived or whither sent, their value and the particulars of all classes of goods being given in so clear a manner that the quantity and value of articles may be turned up with the utmost ease. The Customs and Excise Revenue, with its fluctuations for fourteen years, is also very complete. There is a table of the average rate of wages for all classes of artisans, agricultural and pastoral labourers, servants, and others in each Provincial District; another table showing the average prices of live stock, produce, and provisions, and finally the statistics of the Post and Telegraph Department, showing the number of letters, newspapers, books, post-cards, telegrams, etc., handled by this department, with the revenue derived from the same, and the volume finishes with a complete history of the progress of our telegraphic system from June, 1866, when we had thirteen stations with 1390 miles of wire, until December, 1894, when the figures stood at 691 stations with 14,647 miles of wire. The mass of figures in the 246 closely-printed pages of the Blue Book speak eloquently of the care, precision, and patience exercised in its preparation. The figures are condensed, and the facts placed in a very readable and handy form in the Year Book, which is also prepared by the Registrar General and his staff. This was first published in 1892, and immediately became so popular that it has not only been continued, but enlarged, and gives very full and explicit information regarding statistics and all matters of interest, contributed articles on agriculture, forestry, labour, mining, mineral springs and their properties, and a mass of information regarding the lands of the Colony, with maps, forming altogether a complete vade mecum, useful alike to the business man, the farmer, or the miner, and especially so to the new arrival in search of information. The staff consists of thirteen officials, four of whom are District Registrars of Births, etc., and Vaccination Inspectors at the four chief Cities, who are salaried; the Registrars in the smaller centres of population being recompensed by fees only. The annual cost of the department in ordinary years is £3365, and in years when the agricultural statistics and census are taken £20,000 extra, and the contingencies, including the Year Book, amount to £360.
Mr. Edward John Von Dadelszen, the Registrar-General and Statistical Officer, was born in Liverpool, England, in 1845, and educated the e by the celebrated Dr. Ihne. In 1859 he passed the Oxford middle class examination for juniors, find shortly afterwards left for Auckland per ship “Red Jacket” with Mr. (afterwards Sir) John Gorst. His first situation was with Bishop Selwyn, who employed him on printing works for the Melanesian mission. In 1862 Mr. Gorst was appointed Civil Commissioner for the Waikato, and sent up to Te Awamutu. His duties included the management of an industrial school for the education of Maori youths, by influencing whom, and in various other ways, it was proposed to introduce into Waikato the thin end of the wedge of civilization, and gradually to destroy the effect of what was known as the “King Movement.” Sir George Grey, speaking at Ngaruawahia, and pointing to the king flagstaff, had declared that he would not cut it down, but would dig round it till it fell of itself. The Te Awamutu page 121 institution, said an important chief, is one of the Governor's spades. At this time, the King Movement was at its height. There was a Maori Parliament, with all the accessories for self-government, including an official organ called the Hokioi—the name of a Maori mythological bird of great ferocity. It was part of Mr. Gorst's method to direct attention to the evils of the King Movement, and an opposition newspaper was therefore started named the Pihoihoi—Maori for the insignificant though destructive little sparrow. Mr. Gorst employed his young friend Von Dadelszen in the capacities of printer and publisher. The Commissioner and his factotum were personally very popular with the Kingites. The school was doing good work; but the little upstart Pihoihoi was more than a match for the Hokioi. That a “sparrow” should be set up to fight the gigantic and terrible “hokioi” was in itself an insult; but when it began to win in the contest, and to decry what the Maoris esteemed, they could stand it no more. Returning one evening to his head-quarters, Mr. Gorst found his printing-office seized, and his staff prisoners. The natives stated they had no wish to kill their pakeha friends; but that they were determined no further issues of the Pihoihoi should make their appearance, the best plan of preventing this being to seize the type and appliances, and to drive the Civil Commissioner out of the King Country. Mr. Gorst declined resolutely to be expelled, saying that he had been sent there by the Governor and he would stay until recalled by the same authority,—“the Governor will not allow me to be made food for your patu.” It is possible that taking this course saved the lives of the Commissioner and his men. One of their number was allowed to ride to Auckland with despatches and a message from the Maoris that unless the pakehas were withdrawn within the time mentioned “the bottles would all be broken,” the word “bottles” being delicately used instead of “heads.” Communication with Auckland was a matter of difficulty in those days of no roads and devious tracks, and if it required but little bravery on the part of the messenger to ride away with the despatches, some pluck was needed for the return journey, with only the assurance of a disaffected tribe that all the “bottles” but his own would not be broken before he should arrive. The Maoris were, however, true to their promise. The Commissioner and his company were allowed to get clear of the King Country; but no sooner were they away than the war with the Waikatos began. That this good work among the Natives should have been so suddenly cut off was most unfortunate. The objects of its founders were to civilise the rising generation, and train the young men to useful arts. “The prosecution of these objects,” said Sir Dillon Bell, in his memorandum to Sir George Grey, “was confided to a man (Gorst) who, to a real interest in the Native people, united peculiar abilities for the task; willingly relinquishing the advantages which private fortune gave him in a country where wealth is so easily accumulated, and content, a Master of Arts of Cambridge University, to live in the bush, almost without society, and without books, for the sake of laying the foundation for a few poor Native boys of a school that should replace the indolence and dirt of a ‘pa’ by the industry, discipline, and comfort of a civilised home. The boys who came to the school were fed and clothed in the most liberal manner; they were provided with separate sleeping places, and with many other conveniences which were for the first time known in Native schools; no limit was placed on the discretion of the Commissioner in this matter; and even those Native chiefs who suppressed the school were loud in the praises of the mode in which it had been conducted. Besides the ordinary instruction in reading, writing, arithmetic, and English, each boy worked for six hours daily at some industrial pursuit, under European superintendence. At the time when the school was suppressed, the following trades were in full operation:— Farming, printing, carpentering, shoemaking, tailoring, and blacksmiths' work. The last three trades were carried on for the benefit of the neighbourhood. At the breaking up of the establishment, there were orders for fifty pairs of boots, at which the shoemaker and three Native boys were working, all of which would have been paid for by European and Native neighbours; both the tailor and the blacksmith had as much work as could be got through. The Awamutu establishment was a ready market for the surplus produce of Kihikihi and Rangiawhia Natives. Twenty-two Native boys were under instruction, and several applications for admission had been refused until the new buildings which were being erected increased the accommodation. The extent to which discipline and esprit de corps had been established amongst them may be estimated by the fact that, from the day of the outrage until the school was finally broken up, a period of four weeks, not a single boy had deserted, and that all with the exception of one Ngatimaniapoto, expressed their desire to go to Auckland, or to any other place to which the school might be removed.” Mr. Von Dadelszen, though so young, took a very active part in this Native school. His name occurs frequently in the despatches. It seems very probable that had the Pihoihoi not been published, the good work of Mr. Gorst and his coadjutors would not have been brought to such an abrupt conclusion. On returning to Auckland, Mr. Von Dadelszen lived at Sir George Grey's island home, the Kawau, for about three months with other refugees. After this he joined the post-office at Auckland as clerk, remaining in this service till September, 1864, when he entered the Registrar-General's Department. In 1880 Mr. Von Dadelszen was promoted to the Chief Clerkship, and four years later he was appointed Deputy-Registrar-General. In February, 1890, he was selected by the Government as delegate to the Conference of Australasian Statisticians held at Hobart in March of that year to consider questions in page 122 reference to the Census. He was raised to his present important office on the 1st of May, 1892. The subject of this notice was married in 1876 to Miss Lotze, daughter of Mr. William Lotz, of Sydney. His family numbers four, one son and three daughters.
Mr. George Drury, Chief Clerk, Registrar-General's Department, was born in 1851, at Claydon, Suffolk, England, and educated at Harlow College, Essex. When a boy he entered as midshipman on board a Blackwall clipper trading to the East Indies. This was in 1867, and for nearly ten years thereafter he followed the sea, obtaining his certificate as master in 1876. He came to the Colony in the “Queen of the West,” in 1877. In the year 1879 he joined the Civil Service as assistant in the weather office at Wellington, and was transferred, in 1880, to the Registrar-General's Department where, after twelve years' service, he rose to the chief clerkship.
Clerks—W. C. Sproule, E. H. Machattie, S. Coffey.
Cadet—W. W. Cook.
The Government Printing Office.
Up till 1864 all the Government printing was done in private offices, and the system was found so costly and inconvenient that a Commission was appointed in 1862 which reported in favour of a printing establishment being created in connection with Government, and an order was sent Home for a plant, which arrived in Auckland in June, 1864, and a staff of eight men and two boys was engaged, and the printing of the Gazette, departmental forms, and some of the Parliamentary papers was undertaken. The cost of the original plant was the modest sum of £844, and as this was found inadequate for the work, it was soon supplemented by further additions obtained from Sydney, and the press and type used by Mr. Gorst (now Sir J. E. Gorst) in printing the Pihoihoi, at Te Awamutu, was also added. On the removal of the department to Wellington, the work increased very rapidly, and large additions were made to the plant and a printing machine, driven by steam power, placed it on a much better footing. In 1868 the Printing Office was sufficiently equipped to print the whole of the Bills before Parliament that session, a portion of that work having always been done previously by private printing establishments. By that year the regular staff had increased to thirty, and fifteen extra compositors were employed for Hansard. The value of the work done that year was £11,455. The important work of printing the duties stamps was commenced in 1886, and has been continued ever since. The department carried on its work in a wooden building on the site opposite the present Printing Office until 1888, and part of the old structure is still used by the lithographic staff. The total number of persons employed by the department during the session is 276. The monthly average of the permanent staff, in 1894, was 201, as follows:—The Government Printer, superintendent overseer, seven clerks, seven overseers, four readers, 116 compositors (October, 1895), twelve bookbinders and finishers, seven machinists and pressmen, three stamp printers, two engineers and stokers, one stereotyper and electroplater, one forewoman in the girl's room, where there are twenty-eight employed as folders, sewers, and machine workers, and an average of forty-five apprentices, machine boys, errand boys, reader boys, perforators, and gummers.
The building to accomodate the staff is a three-storey brick structure, with no great pretentions to architecture as it now stands, but when the new four-storey wing, now having the foundation laid, is erected on the Lambton Quay frontage, it will be a noble looking pile. The present building is 120 feet in length along Bunny Street, and 115 feet facing Lambton Quay, by a height of fifty feet. On the ground floor are the public office, the publisher's room, three offices for the clerical staff, two paper warehouses, one each cutter's, wetter's, and machine room, the covered entrance and court yard, and the engine room containing two thirty-five h.p. engines and one seventy h.p. The latter is for driving a large dynamo, which will develop enough electricity to light the present and projected building; one of the thirty-five h.p. engines is used for driving the present dynamo, which has been found insufficient for the demand made upon it. The other thirty-five h.p. engine drives all the presses, etc., in the building, there being no less than sixteen printing machines in use. On the first floor are three spacious, well-lighted rooms for the compositors and jobbers, a lavatory and lunch room, and a paper store room. On the second floor is the girls' room, a very roomy and convenient one, where all the binding is done, with lavatory and lunch room attached, the finisher's room, accommodation for the stereotyper and electroplater, and it is here the railway ticket printing is done, and there is a separate lavatory and lunch room for the men employed on this floor. In a detached building to the north of the main building is the office of the stamp printer, also an engineer's workshop. These will be attached to the contemplated new building, which will have a frontage of 132 feet to Lambton Quay, by thirty-six feet to Bunny Street, and will afford accommodation for the lithographic and photographic branches as well as room for the patent office.
Of the work done by the department its quality is of the highest class in the art of typography and bookbinding. page 123 Great strides have been made during the past year in the improvements in illustrations, and those in a new school reader now being printed for the Education Department compare favourably with the best foreign work. The Government Printer, Mr. Costall, (q.v.) is in hopes of being able to produce coloured illustrations by the new and beautiful chromophotographic process in the early future, and apprehends no difficulty in doing so with his present competent staff. All the printing and binding for the Railway, Insurance, and Public Trust Departments is done by the Government Printer by contract, the annual value of such work being about £6000. The total value of work done for the year 1894 was £39,787, calculated on a somewhat lower basis than outside rates. A large quantity of type, about twenty-five tons, is in use, and a good deal of this is kept standing, being constantly in use, and it is more economical than paying for repeated composition. A large number of Acts are also kept set up in the stereo moulds for the same reason.
Mr. Samuel Costall, the Government Printer, Stationery Stores Manager, and Controller of Stamp Printing, was born in Boston, Lincolnshire, England—a town of which he is proud, and not without cause, for though not even yet very large, it is of historic importance, with its fine old church, whose tower is nearly 300 feet high. It is said that there was a time when Boston was supposed to have a larger trade than London. This will give some idea of its antiquity; and of late years a good deal has been done in the direction of restoring its lost trade. Mr. Costall's father was a master saddler and harness-maker, but he evidently preferred the “Fourth Estate,” as evidenced by his apprenticing three of his sons to the printing, and all with the same master, which certainly speaks well for all parties. Mr. Costall's employer was Mr. John Noble, of Boston, who little thought that he was training and teaching the future Government Printer of New Zealand. Mr. James Costall, who until 1892, was overseer of the Government Printing Office, was the eldest of the three, and he also gave a very good account of himself, and was a credit to his master. It was evidently an all-round establishment, for Mr. Noble is described as a bookseller, bookbinder, stationer, and printer; and the Government Printer has given ample evidence of his thorough acquaintance with all the departments, even to the two branches of printing known in the trade as “case” and “press” work. Even before the completion of his term, young Costall was entrusted by his master with a good deal of departmental management. At the conclusion of his apprenticeship in 1860, he was engaged for a large establishment at York, being none other than the well-known bookselling firm of Sampson and Son. Among other duties in connection with the firm were those of inspecting the bookstalls of the North-Eastern Railway. In April, 1862, Mr. Costall arrived in Dunedin per ship “Akbar,” and come on to Wellington without delay. The shipping of Wellington was very small in those days, and yet things happened then that are never heard of now. On the very day Mr. Costall arrived a barque and a brig were wrecked in the harbour. For the first six months of his colonial life, the Government Printer had a “frame” on the Wellington Independent—that is to say that he worked on that newspaper as a compositor. He then removed to Nelson, and continuing as a “comp.,” he was employed there for seven years, on the Nelson Examiner, the Colonist, and the Nelson Evening Mail. While in this last situation he was promoted to the work known to the trade as “making-up”—a branch of the business where quickness, precision, and nerve are valuable qualities. In 1869 Mr. Costall returned to Wellington, and joined the “composing” staff of the Government Printing Office, when that department was in its infancy. A year or so later he was appointed the first clerk in the office, the then Government Printer, Mr. George Didsbury, having up to that time done the clerical work himself. In 1837 the printing and stationery departments were amalgamated, and Mr. Costall was appointed chief clerk and accountant. This was evidently a good move, for not only were expenses reduced, but within three years the revenue of the department increased by fifty per cent., and many other economies were introduced, resulting in much more than the mere saving of salaries effected by the amalgamation. Long before this additional branch was handed over to Mr. Costall's care, he had shown himself ever on the alert to advance the interests of the department. The binding branch, which has assumed such large proportions, was inaugurated in consequence of Mr. Costall, in the earlier years of his connection with the establishment, making an experiment which practically demonstrated that very large savings might be effected by the Government doing its own binding, instead of giving out that work to the trade, as had been the custom up to that time. Mr. Costall has been thoroughly attentive to his duties all through; and, on the death of Mr. Didsbury in July, 1893, his energy and abilities were recognised by the Government, and rewarded by his appointment as Government Printer. Socially, Mr. Costall has been as active and energetic as in all his business capacities. For nearly a quarter of a century he was the main spring of the church known as the “Bethel,” taking both the services, as well as the oversight of the school on Sundays, besides all the usual week-day meetings, including the Band of Hope. He was a member of the Committee of Management of the Sunday School Union, and was for many years in active cooperation with the Young Men's Christian Association. During the last few years he has been relieved of a good many of his duties, which would doubtless have been too heavy for him since his appointment to the very onerous position of Government Printer.
Mr. James Burns, Superintending Overseer of the Government Printing Office, served his apprenticeship with Blackwood and Sons, of Perthshire, Scotland. Afterwards Mr. Burns went to New York, and for seven years worked in the American Bible Societies' works in that city. Coming to New Zealand in 1863 per ship “Cairngoram,” he was for a short time in the New Zealander office and subsequently in the New Zealand Herald, and was appointed to the Government Printing Office in 1866 as a compositor. After a few months the subject of this notice was promoted to the position of foreman, and in the course of his duties he has had charge of the Hansard printing. In 1892 he was made superintending overseer.
Mr. Bertram Bowen Allen, Chief Clerk and Accountant of the Government Printing Office, has been employed for nearly twenty years in this Department. He is a New Zealander by birth, and received his education in the public schools of Nelson, his native place. In 1877 he entered the Government Printing Office as a cadet in the accountant's branch. He was speedily advanced to the position of clerk, and steadily rose in the service until he was appointed computer. For some time, while Mr. Costall was chief clerk and accountant, Mr. Allen was next in rank, and on that gentleman's elevation to the post of Government Printer, in 1893, he was promoted to the vacant position. Mr. Allen is a painstaking officer; and though still a young man, has gained large experience in connection with the workings of this splendid colonial institution. He is a chess player, and belongs to the Wellington Club; he has played in various interprovincial matches with success.
Mr. John James Gamble, one of the Overseers of the Government Printing Office was born in 1845 in Guernsey, Channel Islands, and came to the Colony in 1865. Almost immediately upon his arrival he obtained employment as a compositor in the Government Printing Office, and was during the next few years promoted to the position of third overseer. Through the retirement of Mr. James Costall, Mr. Gamble was raised to his present position some few years ago.
Mr. Benjamin Wilson, The Overseer of No. 2 Hansard Room of the Government Printing Office, was born and educated in Ireland, where he also learned his business. In 1864 he came to Auckland, New Zealand, per ship “Jumna,” and at once joined the staff of the Southern Cross newspaper, remaining till 1869. In the latter year Mr. Wilson accepted an appointment on the Thames Advertiser, in which office he worked for five years. Removing to Wellington, in 1874, he found employment in the Government Printing Office as a compositor, and has steadily advanced in the service till attaining his present appointment, which he received in 1891. Mr. Wilson was married in Ireland, in 1862, to Miss Dunn, and has six children, three daughters and three sons.
Mr. William Franklin, Overseer of the Bookbinding branch of the Government Printing Office, was born in 1845, in London, where he was educated at the ordinary schools. He was apprenticed, in 1858, in “the little village of London,” to Mr. Haggis, Cursitor Street, completing his term seven years later. Until 1874, Mr. Franklin found employment at his trade in various shops in his native city. In the last year he came to Wellington, per ship “Conflict.” On arrival he found employment at Mr. Burrett's establishment, where he was employed continuously, with the exception of a short time at Messrs. Lyon and Blair's, till joining the Government Printing Office, in December 1875, as finisher. Mr. Franklin's ability was speedily recognised, he being appointed overseer in August, 1877, less than two years after entering the service. Mr. Franklin is a prominent member of the Forward Movement.
Mr. George Tattle, Overseer of the Jobbing Department, who was born in Wellington in 1842, is a son of one of the early Port Nicholson settlers. The subject of this notice was educated at the Church of England School, conducted by the late Mr. W. H. Holmes. Apprenticed to Mr. T. W. McKenzie, he completed his term in 1862, after which he paid a visit to the Otago diggings. On his return he became overseer of the Independent office. In 1867 he entered the Government Printing Office as compositor and jobbing hand. He has steadily advanced in the service, and was promoted in 1892 to the position he now holds. Mr. Tattle is a member of the Antipodean Lodge, A.O.F., M.U. For ten years he has been a member of school committees, first of Te Aro and since of Clyde Quay committee. In 1867 Mr. Tattle was married to Miss Tyler, daughter of Mr. William Tyler. His family numbers eleven—seven sons and four daughters. Mrs. Tattle is a prominent member of the Women's Christian Temperance Union, of which she has twice been president. The eldest son is an athlete and has won three gold and three silver medals for swimming, besides bringing over several prizes from Sydney.
Mr. Henry Hume, Stamp Printer at the Government Printing Office Stamp Branch, has been employed for thirty years in the service of the State. He was born and educated in Campsie, near Glasgow, where he worked in his early days at the calico printing trade. Afterwards migrating to Glasgow, he served his apprenticeship as pressman letterpress printer, and was afterwards employed by such well-known firms as Messrs. Blackie, [gap — reason: illegible]ollins, McKenzie, and Bell and Bain of his native city, at Messrs. Clarke's in Edinburgh and at the City Printing Office, London. Desirious of seeing something more of the world, Mr. Hume came to New Zealand in 1863, per ship “Silistria” to Port Chalmers. Under the influence of the gold fever he visited the Otago goldfields, afterwards working at his profession in Dunedin and Invercargill with the well-known firm of Shaw and Harnett, and at the time of the great rush to Westland went with the stream overland from Christchurch towards Hokitika. After reaching the West Coast side of the Southern Alps he decided to abandon the uncertainties of life on the goldfields, and keep to his trade. Mr. Hume therefore turned back and made his way to Wellington, entering the Government Printing Office as pressman in 1865. In little more than a year he was promoted to the position of duty stamp printer. In 1873 the use of copper plates for stamp printing was abolished, and letterpress printings substituted, Mr. Hume being appointed leading printer. He remained in this position till 1890, when he was raised to the responsible post of stamp printer. He has been closely identified with several of our local and general institutions, in some of which he has taken a leading part. He is a director of the Metropolitan Permanent Building and Investment Society of Wellington, and in many other ways displays both interest and enterprise in matters connected with the city. In 1860 Mr. Hume was married. His family consists of one son and four daughters, of whom two are married. Mr. Hume is a widower, his wife having died in 1881.
Mr. William James Kirk, Electrotyper Stereotyper, Ticket Printer, and Rubber Stamp Maker at the Government Printing Office, was born in Liverpool, England, and came out to the colonies with his parents in 1853, landing in Melbourne. Here he was educated, and apprenticed to the well-known firm of Sands and MacDougall, with whom he completed his term in 1870.page 126
During the same year he arrived in Wellington, having received an appointment as electrotyper and stereotyper to the Government Printing Office. Mr. Kirk has had charge of this branch of the office since its foundation, the ticket-printing being added in 1875, and the rubber stamp department in 1882. Mr. Kirk lives at Petone, and was a member of the Town Board during the whole term of its existence, and four years chairman of the Board. He also served three years on the school committee, two years as secretary, and one year as chairman. As a footballer, he represented Wellington in a match against Nelson, and as a chessplayer he took part in the contest, Wellington Club v. Christchurch Club. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, being attached to the Ulster Lodge, Petone, in which he has been Senior Deacon, and now holds the office of Junior Warden. In Church work Mr. Kirk is an active member of the Wesleyan body. For years he was secretary of the Thorndon Wesleyan Sunday School, and has been superintendent of the Petone Wesleyan Sunday School. He has been a trustee of both the Thorndon and Petone Wesleyan Churches since their erection, and is now secretary to the Petone Church Trustees. In 1871 Mr. Kirk was married to Miss Leslie, of South Melbourne, and has three daughters and two sons.
Clerk and Computer—B. K. Manley
Clerk—F. Barraul, J. W. Hall, R. Watts, A. Stace, A. Williams.
Cadet—R. A. Gray
Night Foreman - J. F. Rogers
Readers—J. W. Henley, W. Fuller, M. F. Marks, H. S. Mountier.
Forewoman Binding Branch—Miss Marsden.
Engineer—T. R. Barrer.