The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Sir Charles Clifford
Sir Charles Clifford, Bart. first Speaker of the House of Representatives, was originally elected on the 26th of May, 1854, at the opening of the first session of the first parliament. Again on the 15th of April, 1856, he was elected for the second parliament and continued to hold the office until the 3rd of June, 1861. Sir Charles is the son of George Lambert Clifford, grandson of the Hon. Thomas Clifford, and great grandson of Lord Clifford of Chudleigh. Born at Mt. Vernon, Liverpool, in 1813, and educated at Stonyhurst, he came out to Wellington with the early Port Nicholson settlers in 1843. While on a visit to England in 1850 he took a prominent part in the agitation for the grant of Constitutional Government to New Zealand. On the passing of the Constitution Act he returned to the Colony, and was elected to the first House of Representatives, of which he became speaker. Sir Charles engaged in pastoral pursuits in the Colony, and finally returned to England. In 1858 he was made a Knight Batchelor, and in 1887 he was created a Baronet of Flaxbourne, Marlborough.