White Wings Vol II. Founding Of The Provinces And Old-Time Shipping. Passenger Ships From 1840 To 1885
Two ships bearing the name Agra visited New Zealand. The first was a new vessel of 665 tons, built at Sunderland in 1851, and owned by Lidgett and Sons, of London. Her first voyage was made to Wellington, Lyttelton, and Port Chalmers. She sailed from Gravesend on the 17th November, and Plymouth on the 28th, 1851, arriving at Wellington on March 1st, and Lyttelton on March 19th,page 149 making the passage in 92 days to Wellington, where she landed some of her passengers. The "Lyttelton Times," reporting her arrival, stated: This is, we believe, the fastest passage made to this port to date; the vessel had a fair wind the whole of the way." After landing passengers and cargo at Lyttelton, the Agra sailed for Port Chalmers, arriving at that port on the 4th May, 1852, where 49 passengers were landed. Captain McLean was in command.
The Agra made a second voyage to Port Chalmers in command of Captain Boyle. She sailed on July 28th, and arrived on the 24th October, 1858, landing 90 passengers.
The second Agra to visit the colony was a ship of 821 tons, built at Liverpool in 1858. She was chartered by the Shaw, Seville Co., and sailed from Gravesend with passengers and cargo on the 18th, and Deal on the 23rd January, arriving at Lyttelton on the 7th May, 1873, after making the passage in 103 days, pilot to pilot. Captain Holdich was in command. Only about a dozen passengers arrived by the ship on this voyage.