Other formats

TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

James K. Baxter Complete Prose Volume 3

Sub-standard? Yes, but . .

Sub-standard? Yes, but . . .

Do you agree that you are living in sub-standard buildings?

Baxter: Certainly, according to the standard of New Zealand suburbs, but no, if you’re living in a shearer’s hut.

Naturally, I aim at improving the buildings. For two or three months I have been on to an electrician and several other tradesmen to work on the place.

It’s not as if I’ve been sitting on my backside doing nothing. I have at times felt our arrangements could be more orderly.

What was your reaction to the publicity, while you were away from the community?

I thought, oh well, perhaps I should go back. But then I thought, what could I do?

What did you think about the visit by the county health inspector, Mr R.J. O’Brien, and the building inspector, Mr B.B. Crane?

I’ve been there quite a long time. The inspectors have called after a long time. It was only a brief inspection.

I haven’t gone there as a city resident looking for a house in the country. I went as a man, starting on the basis of voluntary poverty and trying to organise a community on some basis.

page 257

Obviously, money will be needed to bring the facilities up to the standard demanded by the county. Do you have the money?

I have enough set by for water, lighting and various renovations.

Do you have any doubts about the future of the community?

I tend to be theologically minded – it’s in God’s hands.

If there is a failure it will probably be in the relationships within the community, or between the community and those outside. Perhaps there is not sufficient regard for the privacy of individuals or groups.

What are the main difficulties in operating the community?

The number of people coming in with physical skills is small. This is the result of their educational pattern.

One or two can plant a garden, one or two can mend the wall, but they are in the minority.

Is the community now working on the lines you originally intended?

It has two purposes. One is to provide a place for people to come, who are unable to cope in towns. And one is for town people calling. They do undoubtedly get peace of mind.

How do you find the people of Jerusalem and the nearby farmers?

Originally, some of them were uncertain. I thought there was a definite increase in positive attitudes in the past month.

You spend a lot of time away from the community. Is there proper control in your absence?

Yes. I always make a point of seeing that several responsible and mature members are present to handle things.

Do you have any particular things to do when you return to Jerusalem?

Renovations. I’m on to that.

1971 (638)